ImageImageImageImage

Thorpe: Sophomore Ranks

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#1 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 1:52 pm

INsider Link: Which sophs are standing out?
Although the 2013 draft class was not pegged as special by many basketball experts, we have seen players from this group look special from month to month. It just hasn't always been the same guys each month.

Still, a dozen or so look like impact players in their second NBA season, ranging from solid rotation players to potential All-Stars. The man who leads them all after a month of games is the same guy who exploded onto the scene late last season.

1. Gorgui Dieng, Timberwolves
2. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks
3. Shabazz Muhammad, Timberwolves
4. Dennis Schroder, Hawks
5. Rudy Gobert, Jazz
6. Kelly Olynyk, Celtics
7. Victor Oladipo, Magic
Oladipo hasn't played great basketball since returning from a facial fracture. While his perimeter shot is slightly better, he has been about the same player as last season: He is still decent in transition, he is not good in ball-screen action and he ranks as one of the worst setup guys among all NBA guards who see a lot of minutes at the 1.

Thus it is fair to say he still isn't a point guard. What he is though -- a skilled and athletic guard who competes hard, defends very well and has some scoring talent -- has value. Perhaps he will ultimately be paired in the backcourt with Elfrid Payton, a true PG, allowing him to do what he does best: score.

8. Michael Carter-Williams, 76ers
9. Anthony Bennett, Timberwolves
10. Otto Porter, Wizards

Next up
Trey Burke, Jazz

Players to watch
Jerome Jordan, Nets; Mason Plumlee, Nets; Isaiah Canaan, Rockets
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Re: Thorpe: Sophomore Ranks 

Post#2 » by BadWolf » Mon Dec 8, 2014 1:59 pm

Dieng? he's been playing that well this season? Doesn't seem that far off from Aams, who's nowhere to be found.
Gobert?
olynik? 6 points on 40% shooting in last 5, almost fell out of celtics rotation
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#3 » by Jiwol » Mon Dec 8, 2014 2:14 pm

Strange ranking. Don't pay attention.
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man
And1: 798

Post#4 » by flying_mollusk » Mon Dec 8, 2014 2:27 pm

It's a list that rewards players who play efficiently in a smaller window of minutes via PER. It's unfair IMO because these players don't necessarily play against starters and play in a window that reduces their mistakes. They also aren't necessarily higher options on their team as compared to VO, who actually has to create and score. A guy like Gobert doesn't start, plays 16 mpg, grabs a lot of boards (which is good), but scores on put backs, etc. He isn't as pivotal to his team as VO.

How is Giannis a better sophomore than Oladipo is they are putting up similar efficiency numbers too? This clearly is focused on potential more than anything.

Oladipo is putting up 15ppg, 45% shooting and 38% threes. Those are some of the better raw numbers of the group.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,335

Post#5 » by tooler » Mon Dec 8, 2014 2:45 pm

Not that ESPN has ever been correct about a ranking, but this doesn't bother me at all. We've drafted defensive prospects known to have issues on offense and put them in a democratic offensive system where no one is being groomed as a superstar. So you have to take the long view. I just need to see progress. He obviously has the drive.

I think we all agree Oladipo isn't a point guard, though he's shown enough on the drive and kick lately that he should be perfect as a secondary option on the attack, a bit better than Fournier in the same role.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#6 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Dec 8, 2014 2:52 pm

It's a very "now" list.

Schroder has been playing really well the last 2 weeks. I too am ok with this, it's actually nice for me NOT to see Greek Freak not #1 in one of these rankings... I didn't think Olynyk was playing that good either.
tooler
General Manager

Post#7 » by tooler » Mon Dec 8, 2014 3:10 pm

While we're at it, let's add Giannis to the "not a point guard" list. The hype machine got a little too excited over the summer.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#8 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Dec 8, 2014 3:59 pm

Leave it up to king robb to post the latest article that disparages our players...
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#9 » by Def Swami » Mon Dec 8, 2014 4:52 pm

ESPN ¯\_( ツ)_/¯
tooler
General Manager

Post#10 » by tooler » Mon Dec 8, 2014 5:09 pm

Def Swami wrote:ESPN ¯\_( ツ)_/¯

Just need to go 18-41 the rest of the way to exceed their expectations of our team. :D

But it's the Bucks who should really be rolling their eyes.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#11 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 5:21 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:Leave it up to king robb to post the latest article that disparages our players...

Glad that's what you took from this article.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#12 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Dec 8, 2014 5:25 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:Leave it up to king robb to post the latest article that disparages our players...

I already read the article beforehand, iam just noticing a trend here.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#13 » by MellowRose » Mon Dec 8, 2014 6:01 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:

This is why I've stopped posting. Dudes on here intentionally trying to be dense and annoying.

King Rob, thanks for the articles. Fun reads.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#14 » by OrlandO » Mon Dec 8, 2014 6:18 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:

I already read the article beforehand, iam just noticing a trend here.

Took you this long to realize? :lol:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#15 » by drsd » Mon Dec 8, 2014 6:25 pm

Jiwol wrote:Strange ranking. Don't pay attention.

Oladipo has more ppg than Muhammad, and is playing a bigger role in a process of winning games. So let's rank Muhammad higher: yeh that makes sense.

Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#16 » by Dcebucks11 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 6:27 pm

flying_mollusk wrote:It's a list that rewards players who play efficiently in a smaller window of minutes via PER. It's unfair IMO because these players don't necessarily play against starters and play in a window that reduces their mistakes. They also aren't necessarily higher options on their team as compared to VO, who actually has to create and score. A guy like Gobert doesn't start, plays 16 mpg, grabs a lot of boards (which is good), but scores on put backs, etc. He isn't as pivotal to his team as VO.

How is Giannis a better sophomore than Oladipo is they are putting up similar efficiency numbers too? This clearly is focused on potential more than anything.

Oladipo is putting up 15ppg, 45% shooting and 38% threes. Those are some of the better raw numbers of the group.

why the hate on giannis? should be questioning dieng if anything.

I like dipo and would put him in the top 3 of this list. Guards usually have the easier time getting points early in their career tho. His usage is almost up there with brandon knight with not a very good assist ratio

honestly dennis schroeder has been the most impressive out of this list so far even if he's playing back ups.
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by flying_mollusk » Mon Dec 8, 2014 6:44 pm

Dcebucks11 wrote:
flying_mollusk wrote:It's a list that rewards players who play efficiently in a smaller window of minutes via PER. It's unfair IMO because these players don't necessarily play against starters and play in a window that reduces their mistakes. They also aren't necessarily higher options on their team as compared to VO, who actually has to create and score. A guy like Gobert doesn't start, plays 16 mpg, grabs a lot of boards (which is good), but scores on put backs, etc. He isn't as pivotal to his team as VO.

I like dipo and would put him in the top 3 of this list. Guards usually have the easier time getting points early in their career tho. His usage is almost up there with brandon knight with not a very good assist ratio

honestly dennis schroeder has been the most impressive out of this list so far even if he's playing back ups.

Not hating on Giannis's potential. I think the Bucks have a future superstar on their hands. But if the list is based on second season impact alone, I can't figure out why Giannis is 2nd and Oladipo is 7th when both are putting up similar numbers in their second season efficiency wise. But if you agree that Oladipo should be in the top 3, I think that's what Im getting at. Both should be close to each other.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#18 » by Dcebucks11 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 6:46 pm

flying_mollusk wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:

Not hating on Giannis's potential. I think the Bucks have a future superstar on their hands. But if the list is based on second season impact alone, I can't figure out why Giannis is 2nd and Oladipo is 7th when both are putting up similar numbers in their second season efficiency wise. But if you agree that Oladipo should be in the top 3, I think that's what Im getting at. Both should be close to each other.

well i dont think giannis isa superstar but yeah i would put dipo in top 3 prob top 2 of this class hes my favorite soph after giannis.
flying_mollusk
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by flying_mollusk » Mon Dec 8, 2014 6:53 pm

I also think it's really unfair that Oladipo doesn't get any credit from writers. Everyone said he is Tony Allen v2 coming out of the draft. He has already put up numbers superior to any season Tony Allen has ever put up.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#20 » by darthcheech2000 » Mon Dec 8, 2014 7:02 pm

find the grain, cut against it...

about the article, Greek freak is something special but so is VO, MCW. I would think 30 out of 30 GMS would take any of those 3 before the other top 10. Gobert? WNBA? seriously?
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...

Return to Orlando Magic