ImageImageImageImage

if you were the gm of the orlando magic how will you rebuild. and i need who will you keep and who will you get rid of?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Re: if you were the gm of the orlando magic how will you rebuild. and i need who will you keep and who will you get rid  

Post#241 » by GANGSTERDOG » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:49 am

I hope whichever coach we hire realizes What Gordon is/can be.

Right now he's a 19 year old Raw 6`9 Russell Westbrook with 7 foot Wingspan

let the kid learn from his mistakes
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Re: if you were the gm of the orlando magic how will you rebuild. and i need who will you keep and who will you get rid 

Post#242 » by ezzzp » Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:22 am

Rotation:

PG: E Payton | X
SG: V Oladipo | E Fournier
SF: T Harris* | A Gordon
PF: X | X or Dedmon
C: N Vucevic | D Dedmon

------
Middle of Bench: K O'Quinn*| Frye | Harkless
End of Bench: Ridnour* | W Green* | B Gordon* | A Nicholson | D Marble
-----

* T Harris: Match any offer sheet
* K O'Quinn: Match up to $5-7m or let him walk
* Ridnour, Green, BGordon: keep unless we need to waive for a transaction, but this offseason prefer to keep low minute role player movement to minimum to keep stable familiar environment for young guys.

-----

Draft: pick best player available regardless of fit

Free Agency targets: (too soon to chase a big fish as roster still 1yr away for it to be a realistic option)

PG Patrick Beverly 25% chance and we would have to overpay to pry him from Houston
PF Thomas Robinson 75% chance and we could likely get him in the $5-7m range

Trade Bait: everyone except Payton, Oladipo, Gordon and Vucevic
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#243 » by Truth24 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 9:09 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:To add to the Stanley johnson discussion, I like johnson because he has a natural position and you know what he is: he's a 3. He can handle the ball shoot both spotting up and off the dribble. And he plays defense. Gordon can still be better than johnson once they reach their peak however because of the and the athleticism advantage.

Everything you just said about Johnson is true for Gordon as well. Gordon is a three, people need to realize this and get over the fact that he isn't a four. Gordon can also handle the ball can also shoot both spotting up and off the dribble, fact remains while both can do this neither are excellent shooters. I believe that both will be solid shooters over time because of their incredible work ethic, but Johnson isn't a better shooter then Gordon in any fashion.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#244 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:45 pm

If I was GM, I would probably try to trade this years 1st and Harris for Lamarcus Aldridge.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#245 » by tiderulz » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:56 pm

Bensational wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:Eh with gordon I'll believe he has star potential when I see it. He's definitely a ways away from that and can barely contribute on a losing team right now. We need not let his draft position deceive us and see him for what he is right now: a limited player.

explain how he is limited.

nba ready defense? check.
nba ready handles? check.
nba ready passing? check.
able to hit jump shots? check.
able to get a shot off in the paint? check.

what is 'limited' about him?

does he make mistakes? sure. but any of his faults have nothing to do with how capable or equipped he is as a player, they're all about learning the game, and becoming comfortable with the game on this level.

the only thing limited about AG are his minutes.

I think you are a bit too quick to count these as NBA ready yet.

nba ready handles? decent handles, yes.
nba ready passing? for a Big yes.
able to hit jump shots? not proven
able to get a shot off in the paint? hustle points, put backs yes. other post moves, post game no.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#246 » by tiderulz » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:58 pm

GANGSTERDOG wrote:I hope whichever coach we hire realizes What Gordon is/can be.

Right now he's a 19 year old Raw 6`9 Russell Westbrook with 7 foot Wingspan

let the kid learn from his mistakes

6'9 with a 7' wingspan isnt overly long though. its not limiting, but about average
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#247 » by tiderulz » Fri Mar 6, 2015 2:59 pm

Truth24 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:To add to the Stanley johnson discussion, I like johnson because he has a natural position and you know what he is: he's a 3. He can handle the ball shoot both spotting up and off the dribble. And he plays defense. Gordon can still be better than johnson once they reach their peak however because of the and the athleticism advantage.

Everything you just said about Johnson is true for Gordon as well. Gordon is a three, people need to realize this and get over the fact that he isn't a four. Gordon can also handle the ball can also shoot both spotting up and off the dribble, fact remains while both can do this neither are excellent shooters. I believe that both will be solid shooters over time because of their incredible work ethic, but Johnson isn't a better shooter then Gordon in any fashion.

I havent seen Gordon provide consistent NBA spot up and off the dribble shooting. not saying that cant increase, you can increase your shooting not much to your athleticism. but it isnt there now
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#248 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Mar 6, 2015 5:22 pm

Bensational wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:Tbh both payton and gordon are limited players because gordon doesn't really have a skill he can use to contribute right now.

see, this is just wrong though. Payton certainly has a skill which he can use right now - he's got several. he's already one of the better passers in the game, his handles allow him to get anywhere he wants on the court, and he's a pesky defender who racks up steals and can fluster other PGs. sure, he needs some polish, but that's what you have to deal with when you're rebuilding with rookies. that doesn't mean he's a career bench/role player.

with AG, you almost make a case for him in your argument that he's limited:

Orlwillbeback wrote:His jumper Is not good enough to pull out defenses even though he has made a good clip from the corners.

the fact that defenses don't respect his jumper doesn't in anyway make him limited, because you yourself admitted that he hits at a high clip. so, how is this a problem? if anything that would bode as a strength, so let him continue taking 3's until defenses start to stretch out to cover him.

Orlwillbeback wrote:He Is being used primarily as a Pf but isn't really a weakside guy to block shots and Isn't strong enough to gold his own In the post.

well, that's just wrong. he's mostly used as a SF, and you can see that on 82 games. if he's sharing the court with Tobias, he plays SF and Tobias plays PF.

but i haven't seen a single case where Gordon has been bullied in the paint. in the short amount of time he spends at PF, his man defense is good-great.

Orlwillbeback wrote:His per is higher than other guys on our team thanks to his shot efficiency but he is not creating those shots on his own like Blake griffin.

yeah, but he hasn't been given that chance or role. that just demonstrates that his role is limited, not his abilities. he has definitely scored buckets off plays he creates for himself, since 33% of his baskets are unassisted. he still needs a lot of work there, but he's not at a level where he shouldn't be handling the ball, because he can get himself into the paint easily enough, and from there he's shown he can hit at that range with consistency.

Orlwillbeback wrote:He doesn't really have one solid skill he can use to contribute now, that's why he's not playing, other than hustle I guess. He has no post game, no 1 on ability even though he has an athletic ability vantage over nearly everyone who guards him.

he is, without question, the best defender on the Magic right now. that is the very least he has to offer.

he has shown he can hit open 3's. he has shown he can crash boards. he has shown he can run the break. he has shown he can get garbage points.

so that's several skills and abilities he has shown that he can contribute right now.

his post game needs work, true. but let him work on that in game. he needs to shoot a lot more 3's so his shot is respected, but that won't happen in practice, it needs to happen in game.

Orlwillbeback wrote:The magic chose gordon because of his long term potential instead of his ability to contribute right now which was the right pick st the time. It will be hard to play him at the 4 because of his lack of size and length but he doesn't have to he perimeter skills to play on to hehe perimeter right now.

this last paragraph makes me wonder how much you've actually seen the guy play. his "lack of height" is a pure myth, because i haven't seen any player dominate him in the paint either with strength or their extra 1-2 inches in reach.

but mostly because you still consider him a 4. he's predominantly been used as a 3 for most of the season, and that's not for developmental reasons like Dipo playing the 1 - it's because he's a 3.

not trying to pick on you, but i just feel like your thoughts (which, i appreciate you taking the time to write out) embody all the reasons a lot of people are down on him, and most of those concerns are myths.

Sorry man but you just need to take off your homer glasses when it comes to AG.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#249 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:04 pm

I said this again and again. Rodman was a 3 for 2 straight years in the NBA before he even played as a 4 in a game. So, all this "he's a 3 or he's a 4" is pure bullcrap.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,260

Post#250 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:08 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:If I was GM, I would probably try to trade this years 1st and Harris for Lamarcus Aldridge.

I don't understand the new CBA for sign and trades, but in theory trading for Aldridge would be great!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#251 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:15 pm

eyriq wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:If I was GM, I would probably try to trade this years 1st and Harris for Lamarcus Aldridge.

I don't understand the new CBA for sign and trades, but in theory trading for Aldridge would be great!

To make salaries work, probably have to throw in Frye. Not sure. But, if Henny would go all in to get Aldridge, then you can surround him with variations of talent and be an instant Playoff team.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,260

Post#252 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 6, 2015 9:25 pm

How about a hypothetical lineup of
Nate McMillan
Latrell Sprewell
Caron Butler
Shawn Marion
Patrick Ewing

Return to Orlando Magic