ImageImageImageImage

Harris Being Out Benifits Vic & Vuc

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Re: Harris Being Out Benifits Vic & Vuc 

Post#81 » by BCS » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:22 pm

GANGSTERDOG wrote:I thought it was well known that Harris was one of the fastest SF in the game? Someone a while back posted sprinting numbers and Harris was actually faster than Oladipo in some of them.

My bad I made a mistake, I said, "Harris slows our offense playing the 3", but what I meant is defense. And yea he might be a good sprinter but he is still slow on his feet when it comes to changing directions and such and that is crucial as a defender. Frye is also slow footed in that sense and that is why he is so bad on defense and having two slow footed forwards just messes up the aggressive in your face defense we have been seeing lately which has been causing a lot of problems for the opposing team.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#82 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:26 pm

mojosodope wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
mojosodope wrote:
I read this board for the pure comedy

Hello Tobias fan. Just because I believe Oladipo will be better and may even be better right now doesn't mean I don't think Harris is good.

No it doesn't. The comedy I was referring to was your drawn line in the sand at determining either player has a higher ceiling than the other. Even as a pretty big Tobias fan, I am not sure I would say as definitively as you that there is a surefire way to determine who has a higher ceiling.

What can I say? That's just how I feel after watching them play.

I also the "last 2 games alone by Oladipo are more impressive than anything Harris has ever done in a Magic uniform." quite comical as well.

Again, as far as single games go, I've not been as impressed with a single Tobias performance as much as I was with the last 2 Vic games. And it's more than just the numbers but how he was able to get those numbers. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. They were pretty special performances after all.

I don't think anything I said is outrageous. It's not like Oladipo isn't quite a good talent you know?
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,445

Post#83 » by Bensational » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:46 pm

just watched through the Portland, Bulls and Houston games real quick. i completely get people's current preference of Marble over Harris. Marble plays such a different way to Tobias, and it's really much more of a team-oriented style. for Harris to come back into the SL in this new offense, he's gonna have to stop being the end of the line for the basketball. Marble is great at making short moves, then kicking out to Frye or in to Vuc, and that's worked for us lately because both guys have been hot.

the roles really are more defined with Harris out though. Dipo looks much more comfortable looking to score without feeling the pressure of trying to work Harris into the play. i think he gets overwhelmed when there's more than one other guy to have to look out for, and Vuc is our safest bet in that circumstance. Harris, as talented as he is as a scorer, needs to develop some more moves to justify dumping the ball into him and letting him create an offense from the start of the play. becoming a better passer is obviously instrumental on that front.

side note.... how damn good has Frye looked in this new offense? his passing and offensive intuition has been mind blowing compared to anything else we've seen this season from him. his D is still pretty woeful, but he's certainly justifying that contract just with his offensive intelligence.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#84 » by KillMonger » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:02 am

BTW any updates on Harris? Was there any timetable? Will he be able to play Sunday?
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#85 » by BadWolf » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:31 pm

So Marble over Harris is the new thing? OK...
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,340

Re: 

Post#86 » by tooler » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:02 pm

BadWolf wrote:So Marble over Harris is the new thing? OK...

It's the old thing. You're a few days behind.
407Junkie
Starter
And1: 603

Post#87 » by 407Junkie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:24 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
407Junkie wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:Your irrational Harris hating makes BMP's beef with Ben Gordon look reasonable and intelligent.
And your love for him is simply gay. I don't like how his game fits on this team and that won't ever change unless he learns how to utilize his teammates better.

Wow, using a derogatory slur as an insult. Really clever. What are you 12? Thank you for not only confirming your minimal basketball intelligence but your minimal intelligence overall. Now I'll know to block you.
Man shut your sensitive soft ass up. Gay is a derogatory slur now? The hell is going on in this country? Glad you blocked me though cause I don't have to hear from your punk ass no more. Not here make friends just discuss basketball, specifically the Magic.
407Junkie
Starter
And1: 603

Post#88 » by 407Junkie » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:31 pm

Harris is cool he just needs to come off the bench. And we damn sure don't need to pay him 11 million plus. I'd love to pull Leonard away from San Antonio but that ain't happening. He'd fit perfect in the the lineup with Payton, Vic, him, Gordon, and Vuc. Then we'd need to fill out our bench. If Harris is with that you pay him and let him be the man. We can win with that.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#89 » by ezzzp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Either way, its a nice position to be in when you have to decide wether an 18/8 player would be better as a 6th man or a starter.

Hennigan only needs to look at OKC with Harden to know how important it is to have that calibre of player in your depth. Injuries are a part of the NBA - the best teams manage that variable. Presti made one huge mistake; if OKC doesn't win this year or next...things might get ugly there real quick. They tried to save money and now are looking for quick solutions such as nearly taking on a maxed out (2 1/2 seasons left on contract) of an very injury prone center (B Lopez).

Had they resigned Harden, its not out of the question that they would have a trophy. At worse they would have had a major asset to trade.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#90 » by ezzzp » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 pm

407Junkie wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:
407Junkie wrote:And your love for him is simply gay. I don't like how his game fits on this team and that won't ever change unless he learns how to utilize his teammates better.

Wow, using a derogatory slur as an insult. Really clever. What are you 12? Thank you for not only confirming your minimal basketball intelligence but your minimal intelligence overall. Now I'll know to block you.
Man shut your sensitive soft ass up. Gay is a derogatory slur now? The hell is going on in this country? Glad you blocked me though cause I don't have to hear from your punk ass no more. Not here make friends just discuss basketball, specifically the Magic.

It always has been a derogatory slur when used in that manner. Just because being a bigot was accepted in the past doesn't mean its ok. Freedom and tolerance for people that don't have the same beliefs, color, preferences as you is what this country is about. I'm hispanic and an American citizen and words that discriminate have no place in my life - anywhere. You might not be here to make friends but this is a community...you are blocked.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#91 » by tiderulz » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:21 pm

407Junkie wrote:Harris is cool he just needs to come off the bench. And we damn sure don't need to pay him 11 million plus. I'd love to pull Leonard away from San Antonio but that ain't happening. He'd fit perfect in the the lineup with Payton, Vic, him, Gordon, and Vuc. Then we'd need to fill out our bench. If Harris is with that you pay him and let him be the man. We can win with that.

Harris arguably 2nd best player on team. He is going to be paid more than $11million/yr, either by us or someone else. And you dont win by putting your top 2 player on your team on the bench.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,654

Post#92 » by ogmagicfan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:21 pm

ezzzp wrote:
407Junkie wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:Wow, using a derogatory slur as an insult. Really clever. What are you 12? Thank you for not only confirming your minimal basketball intelligence but your minimal intelligence overall. Now I'll know to block you.

It always has been a derogatory slur when used in that manner. Just because being a bigot was accepted in the past doesn't mean its ok. Freedom and tolerance for people that don't have the same beliefs, color, preferences as you is what this country is about. I'm hispanic and an American citizen and words that discriminate have no place in my life - anywhere. You might not be here to make friends but this is a community...you are blocked.

+1
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,445

Post#93 » by Bensational » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:13 am

ezzzp wrote:Hennigan only needs to look at OKC with Harden to know how important it is to have that calibre of player in your depth. Injuries are a part of the NBA - the best teams manage that variable. Presti made one huge mistake; if OKC doesn't win this year or next...things might get ugly there real quick. They tried to save money and now are looking for quick solutions such as nearly taking on a maxed out (2 1/2 seasons left on contract) of an very injury prone center (B Lopez).

Had they resigned Harden, its not out of the question that they would have a trophy. At worse they would have had a major asset to trade.

here's a question: is Harris our Harden, or our Jeff Green?

comparisons for each player at 22

Harris generally seems to split the difference between the two of them, but I'd say he's closer to a Jeff Green than a Harden.

ultimately, the financials shouldn't be a problem. we should be able to re-sign everyone with only 1 season of overlap where ALL our key guys are on big deals. and by then, hopefully we'd know who fits the team best, not just who's the best talent.
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,002

Post#94 » by davey_wavy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:58 am

Are you trying to not resign Harris? Because bringing him off the bench is not how you resign him.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#95 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:15 am

tiderulz wrote:
407Junkie wrote:Harris is cool he just needs to come off the bench. And we damn sure don't need to pay him 11 million plus. I'd love to pull Leonard away from San Antonio but that ain't happening. He'd fit perfect in the the lineup with Payton, Vic, him, Gordon, and Vuc. Then we'd need to fill out our bench. If Harris is with that you pay him and let him be the man. We can win with that.

Harris arguably 2nd best player on team. He is going to be paid more than $11million/yr, either by us or someone else. And you dont win by putting your top 2 player on your team on the bench.

To be fair, we haven't won much playing him either...

So even if he is one of our top 2 players (debatable), he would be such on a very bad team. How long do we want to remain a very bad team? The important question is whether or not Harris would be a top 2 player on a very good team.

Consistency is often what separates starters from bench players. So Harris' efficiency would be a huge asset in a 6th man role where he could lead the offense against 2nd teams and finish games for us on nights when he is hot. But I don't see the full court versatility of star forward.

He isn't great at getting to the FT line. He isn't a great defender. He isn't a great deep shooter. He isn't a great facilitator. He is reliable at everything but is not special at anything. If he were half the player people around here think he is, we would at least be a #5 seed in the weak east.

Sign Harris to be our great 6th man off the bench. Easy.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#96 » by tiderulz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:20 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

To be fair, we haven't won much playing him either...

So even if he is one of our top 2 players (debatable), he would be such on a very bad team. How long do we want to remain a very bad team? The important question is whether or not Harris would be a top 2 player on a very good team.

Consistency is often what separates starters from bench players. So Harris' efficiency would be a huge asset in a 6th man role where he could lead the offense against 2nd teams and finish games for us on nights when he is hot. But I don't see the full court versatility of star forward.

He isn't great at getting to the FT line. He isn't a great defender. He isn't a great deep shooter. He isn't a great facilitator. He is reliable at everything but is not special at anything. If he were half the player people around here think he is, we would at least be a #5 seed in the weak east.

Sign Harris to be our great 6th man off the bench. Easy.

we havent won much playing Dipo and Vuc too, so what does that really mean? Harris not a great deep shooter? This year he added a good 3 pt shot to his arsenal. Not good at getting to the FT line? He gets there better than our center. Great defender? no. decent defender, yes. As decent as Vuc. And the team has been in a funk. How about we wait until all of the players are playing and healthy, and playing at a faster rate.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#97 » by BCS » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:16 am

davey_wavy wrote:Are you trying to not resign Harris? Because bringing him off the bench is not how you resign him.

It doesn't really matter, he is a RFA, we can match any deal for him and that is the gamble Henny took. He probably will wait and see what another team offers for him and then decide to match or not.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#98 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:34 am

Oh god not this again...
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#99 » by GANGSTERDOG » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:53 am

Bensational wrote:
ezzzp wrote:Hennigan only needs to look at OKC with Harden to know how important it is to have that calibre of player in your depth. Injuries are a part of the NBA - the best teams manage that variable. Presti made one huge mistake; if OKC doesn't win this year or next...things might get ugly there real quick. They tried to save money and now are looking for quick solutions such as nearly taking on a maxed out (2 1/2 seasons left on contract) of an very injury prone center (B Lopez).

here's a question: is Harris our Harden, or our Jeff Green?

comparisons for each player at 22

Harris generally seems to split the difference between the two of them, but I'd say he's closer to a Jeff Green than a Harden.

ultimately, the financials shouldn't be a problem. we should be able to re-sign everyone with only 1 season of overlap where ALL our key guys are on big deals. and by then, hopefully we'd know who fits the team best, not just who's the best talent.

Neither im hoping for Lamar Odom Type
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#100 » by drsd » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:53 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:Oh god not this again...

Agreed.

It is my opinion that Harris will thrive in an up-tempo offense.

Return to Orlando Magic