ImageImageImageImage

Simmons Trade Value 2015 p1

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Re: Simmons Trade Value 2015 p1 

Post#21 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:15 pm

akhenaten wrote:Bill Simmons: "It’s unclear whether Jacque Vaughn should be managing a Costco, much less coaching an NBA team."

Bahahaha

I agree with Bill... Jock probably hasn't shown enough thus far to manage a CostCo. Seems more like a Wal Mart caliber guy
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#22 » by KingRobb02 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 pm

tooler wrote:Oh I don't mind Elf and Smart being on the same level. Hey, great for Elfrid, he was a lower pick. I just think it's funny that Smart can shoot and Simmons pretends like he can't. Kind of like humble-bragging.

I'm reading way too much into it, but his articles are 10 times more entertaining if you try to find homerism in every sentence.

Smart is shooting 38% on the season and still jacks 4 3s per game. What do you mean he can shoot?
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#23 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:22 pm

j_n wrote:
OrlDave wrote:Tobias Harris: Why I Might Rejoice If My Celtics Offered Him $70 Million For Four Years As A Restricted Free Agent This Summer: He doesn’t turn 23 until July … he’s already a steady 18-and-7 guy … he’s a stretch 4 who makes 3s (2015: 41 percent) … he’s competitive as hell … there’s a decent chance he could evolve into a 50-40-80 guy … he’s never played for a good coach in his life … he loves taking and making big shots … you can never go wrong with anyone named “Tobias” … and he already has his own “Buzzer Beater” YouTube Montage.

Victor Oladipo
Two of my favorite Class of ’13 guys. We knew Oladipo would be a tenacious defender, but he’s a better scorer/shooter than anyone expected (40 percent 3FG right now). And the extra-long, extra-lanky, sneaky-chippy and shockingly agile Len looms as an unexpected X factor if Phoenix hangs on to its playoff spot. We forgive him for being the first person to make the words “former Ukrainian gymnast” NOT seem sexy in any way.

48. Nikola Vucevic
Two enticing young centers with defensive flaws: Jonas needs to fix the whole “I’m playing for a contender that’s afraid to keep me out there in the fourth quarter” thing, and Vucevic needs to fix the whole “Right now, I’m a much better fantasy player than a real NBA player” thing. At gunpoint, I’d pick Vucevic only because we have to take every current Magic player’s career with a grain of salt — it’s unclear whether Jacque Vaughn should be managing a Costco, much less coaching an NBA team.

I like Simmons as a writer but he clearly doesnt follow a lot of basketball outside the Celtics, Harris is a stretch 4? Oladipo hasnt been a good defender this year and Vuc is a better player than his stats, great post defender and really good at deflecting rebounds to his teammates.

I'd say Oladipo has been average to slightly above average on the whole of the season. I think all of our players are under-performing defensively (even Payton at times, but less so) and I think coaching may have something to do with that.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#24 » by Gerhalt11 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:32 am

OrlandO wrote:obligatory
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431dUrKLKGY[/youtube]

Why is he talking like he's at a wake?
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#25 » by OrlandO » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 am

Gerhalt11 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:obligatory
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=431dUrKLKGY[/youtube]

Why is he talking like he's at a wake?

It's a segment of the show called bad news bill and Jalen... like doctors giving bad news.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#26 » by Gerhalt11 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:40 am

OrlandO wrote:It's a segment of the show called bad news bill and Jalen... like doctors giving bad news.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#27 » by NickAnderson » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:20 am

This is hilarious , everyone hated Simmons about 4 years ago now,everyone loves him :lol:

Sent from my VS985 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#28 » by purpleswordfish » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:25 am

I think he's entertaining, and that's about it. Beyond that, he's just another fan that happens to be a very talented writer. His synopsis of our roster was pretty accurate in my opinion. Of course, he's one of the few national people that watch the Magic on a regular basis. I found the part on Payton particularly true and love that he linked to a video showing Payton airballing two free throws. The heading he put him under is absolutely correct...if Elfrid Payton learns to shoot, people will have to watch out.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#29 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:59 am

Smart is comparable to payton right now. Smart is a better shooter and a decent threat from deep which is the main thing he has over payton. However, I like payton better long term because it appears he has gotten better every game. He is hitting his stride and getting plenty more experience than smart and it's paying off.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#30 » by drsd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:13 am

Top 10 guys on unhappy-to-hopeless teams that I’d be trying to steal in trades if I were a GM right now (à la Jeff Green, who’s already making Memphis happy): (1) Faried, (2) Ben McLemore, (3) Moe Harkless, (4) Jose Calderon, (5) Nikola Pekovic, (6) Jason Thompson, (7) Channing Frye, (8) Jeremy Lin, (9) Wilson Chandler, (10) Nik Stauskas.

So Harkless is the 3rd best bad player on a bad team. Not sure what to think of that.

drsd
RealGM

Post#31 » by drsd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:14 am

... — it’s unclear whether Jacque Vaughn should be managing a Costco, much less coaching an NBA team.

SNAP

ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Re: 

Post#32 » by ivDT » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:16 pm

NickAnderson wrote:This is hilarious , everyone hated Simmons about 4 years ago now,everyone loves him :lol:

Sent from my VS985 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app

hey now. i still hate simmons.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#33 » by j-ragg » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:19 pm

j_n wrote:
OrlDave wrote:snip

I like Simmons as a writer but he clearly doesnt follow a lot of basketball outside the Celtics, Harris is a stretch 4? Oladipo hasnt been a good defender this year and Vuc is a better player than his stats, great post defender and really good at deflecting rebounds to his teammates.

Oladipo has been tenacious on defense this year just like last year IMO.

Vooch isn't great at anything on the defensive side of the ball, if you think so then you should look up the word great.

I think Simmons is spot on saying he's a much better fantasy player than impact player. As evidenced by his amazing stats and our terrible record.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#34 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:44 pm

tooler wrote:Oh I don't mind Elf and Smart being on the same level. Hey, great for Elfrid, he was a lower pick. I just think it's funny that Smart can shoot and Simmons pretends like he can't. Kind of like humble-bragging.

I'm reading way too much into it, but his articles are 10 times more entertaining if you try to find homerism in every sentence.

Nearly 70% of all of Smart's shot attempts have been at the rim. The vast majority of his few 3pt attempts have been from the same spot (the top right of the key). Teams are just giving him that shot. Still, he only shoots 38% from the field and worse yet, 71% from the foul line.

MARCUS SMART CAN"T SHOOT!

... and I still REALLY like Marcus Smart. Just saying. He has problems just like every other rookie.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,342

Post#35 » by tooler » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:23 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:

Nearly 70% of all of Smart's shot attempts have been at the rim. The vast majority of his few 3pt attempts have been from the same spot (the top right of the key). Teams are just giving him that shot. Still, he only shoots 38% from the field and worse yet, 71% from the foul line.

... and I still REALLY like Marcus Smart. Just saying. He has problems just like every other rookie.

I think you read that wrong. The NBA site is acting weird but basketball-reference says two-thirds of Smart's shot attempts have been 3-pointers. (60% for Exum.)
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#36 » by MitchellUK » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:58 pm

drsd wrote:
Top 10 guys on unhappy-to-hopeless teams that I’d be trying to steal in trades if I were a GM right now (à la Jeff Green, who’s already making Memphis happy): (1) Faried, (2) Ben McLemore, (3) Moe Harkless, (4) Jose Calderon, (5) Nikola Pekovic, (6) Jason Thompson, (7) Channing Frye, (8) Jeremy Lin, (9) Wilson Chandler, (10) Nik Stauskas.

So Harkless is the 3rd best bad player on a bad team. Not sure what to think of that.

That's not what he's saying - we're talking value for money in a trade rather than actual quality. Harkless is unhappy and being given very little PT by Vaughn, which is killing his trade value. What Simmons is saying that because of this you may have an opportunity to grab a a guy with plenty of untapped potential, for whom a change of scenery could see drastic improvement, for next to nothing.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#37 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:00 pm

tooler wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I think you read that wrong. The NBA site is acting weird but basketball-reference says two-thirds of Smart's shot attempts have been 3-pointers. (60% for Exum.)

Blah, you're absolutely correct. I was on the wrong page! :o

I was reading the make / miss percentages rather than the percentage of total shots chart.

ESPN reports that Smart has attempted 151 field goals all season and 99 of them have been from the 3 point line.

Okay, yeah this is much more impressive.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,342

Post#38 » by tooler » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:13 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:Blah, you're absolutely correct. I was on the wrong page! :o

I was reading the make / miss percentages rather than the percentage of total shots chart.

ESPN reports that Smart has attempted 151 field goals all season and 99 of them have been from the 3 point line.

Okay, yeah this is much more impressive.

There was an article where he talked about how many bad shots and contested jumpers he had to take in college because he was still the best option. Both Smart and Exum need to demonstrate they can attack the basket but they look promising as 3 (and D in Smart's case) guys. I'd call it 50/50 whether either of them bother to try to be floor generals like Elfrid so it'll be interesting to watch.

Whenever I think about those guys, I sometimes forget we have Aaron Gordon. :D Nice spot to be in.
drsd
RealGM

Post#39 » by drsd » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:15 pm

MitchellUK wrote:That's not what he's saying - we're talking value for money in a trade rather than actual quality. Harkless is unhappy and being given very little PT by Vaughn, which is killing his trade value. What Simmons is saying that because of this you may have an opportunity to grab a a guy with plenty of untapped potential, for whom a change of scenery could see drastic improvement, for next to nothing.

Sure. And this is how Orlando got Harris and Vučević.

407Junkie
Starter
And1: 603

Post#40 » by 407Junkie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:26 pm

Im convinced Simmons doesnt watch the Magic but looks at stat sheets, and get pointers from other people who does look at some games.

Return to Orlando Magic