ImageImageImageImage

The Tobias Harris Situation

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,263

Re: The Tobias Harris Situation 

Post#541 » by eyriq » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Immature Luigi wrote:So people just a quick consensus, how much would you offer tobias? what range?

ESPN left him out of the top 30 list so I'm guessing around $8m with that list being my only reading of the market.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#542 » by ezzzp » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:18 pm

eyriq wrote:
Immature Luigi wrote:So people just a quick consensus, how much would you offer tobias? what range?

ESPN left him out of the top 30 list so I'm guessing around $8m with that list being my only reading of the market.

Its ESPN...I would never use them as a gauge for anything other than algorithm's of what players capture the most attention (hits). Harris will get paid way above that...I expect something in the $12m to $15m range.

Remember that the cap will skyrocket to an estimated $85m+ in 2 years or if cap smoothing happens it will get a very substantial bump to the normal cap increase this offseason.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#543 » by John Murdoch » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:21 pm

Hypothetically if PHI landed the #2nd pick and ORL was at #5 would you guys do #2,Covington for #5, Harris ?
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#544 » by Skin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:22 pm

There's no amount that would scare me away from matching. If the team signing him offers us a fair return in trade value then I would let him go. But we definitely cannot lose the asset.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#545 » by Skin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:26 pm

John Murdoch wrote:Hypothetically if PHI landed the #2nd pick and ORL was at #5 would you guys do #2,Covington for #5, Harris ?

I would probably do it. #5 is probably out of range for Towns and Porzingis. I don't want to miss out on both. Would you do it if ORL had pick #6 or 7?
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,636

Post#546 » by SOUL » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:26 pm

John Murdoch wrote:Hypothetically if PHI landed the #2nd pick and ORL was at #5 would you guys do #2,Covington for #5, Harris ?

I would.
In Len We Trust
Banned User
And1: 380

Post#547 » by In Len We Trust » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:27 pm

I still can't believe you guys got such a great deal on Vuc. When he signed that I was shocked at how cheap you got him considering the cap is going up.

Is it really fair to compare a Tobias deal to the one Vuc got? I think Vuc's contract is going to be one of the best in the entire league.

If the Suns offered 4/65 would Orlando match? What if we did a S&T with Reggie Bullock and Cleveland's 2016 pick?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#548 » by Def Swami » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:35 pm

SOUL wrote:

I would.

Same.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Re: Re: The Tobias Harris Situation 

Post#549 » by cedric76 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:39 pm

Def Swami wrote:
SOUL wrote:

I would.

Same.

Cant trade him on draft day
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Re: Re: The Tobias Harris Situation 

Post#550 » by Def Swami » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:40 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:
SOUL wrote:
I would.

Same.

Cant trade him on draft day

Ah yep, you're right. Completely neglected that.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#551 » by ezzzp » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:16 pm

In Len We Trust wrote:I still can't believe you guys got such a great deal on Vuc. When he signed that I was shocked at how cheap you got him considering the cap is going up.

Is it really fair to compare a Tobias deal to the one Vuc got? I think Vuc's contract is going to be one of the best in the entire league.

If the Suns offered 4/65 would Orlando match? What if we did a S&T with Reggie Bullock and Cleveland's 2016 pick?

Henny pulled off jedi mind trick on Vuc and his agent or there's something else involved cause Vuc's deal is going to be silly in 2016 specially if he continues on his upward trajectory.

Harris' camp already rejected $9m so him getting around Vuc's range (4y/48m + incentives that could reach 53m) seems likely. Vuc is 24 and Harris is 22 so you can't really compare stats side to side.
Skin
RealGM

Post#552 » by Skin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 pm

In Len We Trust wrote:I still can't believe you guys got such a great deal on Vuc. When he signed that I was shocked at how cheap you got him considering the cap is going up.

What do you see in Harris that makes him attractive to you? I don't see Markieff play a lot but I do remember the Magic trying to give Harris a contract similar to his. Aren't they the same player in many ways?
In Len We Trust
Banned User
And1: 380

Post#553 » by In Len We Trust » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:01 am

Skin wrote:

What do you see in Harris that makes him attractive to you? I don't see Markieff play a lot but I do remember the Magic trying to give Harris a contract similar to his. Aren't they the same player in many ways?

He's a scoring SF that can shoot and has a nice all around game. We need a really good starting SF.

As for Markieff, he is a power forward. He is an elite scorer from 15 feet and in and has elite touch on close shots. Here's a horrific rebounder though, and it is a serious weakness to our team.

Keef is on a 4/32 contract.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#554 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 am

I really think the max for Tobias is 12 million. He might get that if he closes the season well. I think likely he's offer something like 4/40.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#555 » by drsd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:02 am

Teams trade up because there is a positional need. For example, Orlando traded up from 12 to 10 because the team needed a PG.

So, moving from 5 to 2, one must ask, who is projected at #2? If it is Mudiay, that is not a positional need.

A trade that makes more sense is for Orlando to slide down to #10 and select Cauley-Stein. I am not sure Lavoy Allen alone would be enough for GM Hennigan. Perhaps also the right to swap future 1sts.
VoiceOReason
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#556 » by VoiceOReason » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:21 pm

I would say ideal amount at the most I'd like to pay him would be 10mill a year...with cap increases that would end up being a great contract... He will probably get more but hopefully other teams won't make offers because they think we will match
cedric76
RealGM

Post#557 » by cedric76 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:11 pm

It s really a shame that we didn't trade him for batum
Would have been perfect fit for our team.

Sent from my HTC One using RealGM Forums mobile app
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#558 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:24 pm

If you can sign Harris to a 10m-12m contract you do it and RUN!

Knicks - Boston - LA - maybe even Philly will DEFINITELY over pay. Easily seeing any of those teams offering 14 + mil contract especially with the cap raise and wouldn't be surprised if he got offered a 60 mil contract by one of those teams.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#559 » by cedric76 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 am

People keep saying that if we don't match Harris offer we d lose him for nothing, this is not completely true, if we don't match we now have the right to spend that amount on someone that would fit our team.
For example if we miss on towns and draft Stanley, I don't see any point of matching Harris (other than using him as a trading piece later), I d rather spend that money on a defensive minded pf and a back up pg
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Re: 

Post#560 » by RickB-Orlando » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:24 am

cedric76 wrote:People keep saying that if we don't match Harris offer we d lose him for nothing, this is not completely true, if we don't match we now have the right to spend that amount on someone that would fit our team.
For example if we miss on towns and draft Stanley, I don't see any point of matching Harris (other than using him as a trading piece later), I d rather spend that money on a defensive minded pf and a back up pg

I would change this to be "the right to spend that amount on someone who would better fit our team."

The question is, who? The answer really is "Nobody." There isn't this mythical better fit out there this year. Harris is really one of the top free agents in 2015. He's going to get paid, and probably by us.

To be honest, I'm OK with that. I think he's a solid foundational piece, just not the superstar everyone wants.

Return to Orlando Magic