ImageImageImageImage

Pick & Roll breakdowns

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,413

Pick & Roll breakdowns 

Post#1 » by Bensational » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:43 am

Found these numbers on NBA.com

Offense:

Pick & Roll - Roll Man

As a team, we're ranked 9th at scoring off P&Rs through the Roll Man, with 1.00ppp. We use this play 7.9% of the time and score 8.3ppg off this play, with an eFG of 50.9.

Vuc is 2nd in the league for points scored (4.4ppg) as the roll man, behind only A.Davis.

He's ranked 66th in terms of efficiency, with 1.04 points per possession (which actually puts him ahead of Gasol). Dedmon, coincidentally, is tied with him for points per possession on P&Rs. Notable names beneath him: Blake Griffin, Horford, Ibaka, LMA, Duncan, Jefferson.

Pick & Roll - Ballhandler

As a team, we are ranked 8th worst at scoring off P&R via the ballhandler, averaging 0.73ppp. We use this play 21.6% of the time and score 16.8ppg off this play, with an eFG of 41.8%.

Oladipo has scored the 16th most total points off a P&R as the ballhandler.

However, in terms of PPP, Tobias is a more efficient option, scoring 0.90ppp which ranks him 26th in the league. Durant averages 0.98ppp, Harden 0.95ppp, Irving also averages 0.90, Lillard and Bledsoe average 0.89ppp. LeBron ranks 98th, with 0.77ppp.

Fournier is ranked 115th, with 0.75ppp, Dipo is 118th, with 0.74ppp and Elf is 177th with 0.62.

Post Ups

Vuc is ranked 9th for PPG on Post Ups (although he'd be considerably lower in terms of efficiency, because his PPP is lower than most of those around him).

Putbacks

Vuc is ranked 5th for PPG on putbacks, with 3ppg. And even when broken down into PPP, he's still a top player when you sort the wheat from the chaff.

Defense:

Pick & Roll - Roll Man

As a team, Orlando are ranked 6th worst at defending the Roll Man on a P&R, giving up 1.07ppp (424 total). However... teams that are worse than us are: GSW, LAC, CLE and NOP.

Kyle O'Quinn is ranked 14th when it comes to defending the P&R, only allowed 0.53ppp. Vuc is ranked 85th, allowing 0.83ppp. Notable names +/- 0.04ppp around Vuc are Dwight (0.79), Hibbert, Horford & Drummond (0.82), Duncan (0.83), Gortat (0.84), Chandler (0.85).

Channing Frye literally is the worst Roll Man defender in the league! giving up 1.07ppp and 1.7ppg. However.... A.Davis is 2nd worst for ppg, and tied with Frye for how many PPP he gives up.

Pick & Roll - Ballhandler

As a team, we are ranked 6th worst at defending Pick & Roll Ballhandlers, allowing 0.82ppp.

Willie Green is our best ballhandler defender on P&Rs, allowing only 0.69ppp, ranking him 66th.

Dipo is ranked 180th, averaging 0.83ppp, and Elf is 183rd, averaging 0.84ppp. Dante Exum allows 0.85ppp.

Post Ups

I thought I'd throw this in, too.

Vuc gets posted up the 3rd most in the league, and he gives up the most points per game off Post Ups.
Scottg247
Pro Prospect
And1: 147

Re: Pick & Roll breakdowns 

Post#2 » by Scottg247 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:43 pm

Great read!
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

Post#3 » by tooler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:55 pm

It's weird that teams post him up so much since it doesn't seem that effective.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#4 » by purpleswordfish » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:27 pm

LMAO @ Elfrid being 177th at scoring as a pick and roll ballhandler, then being 183rd at defending the other end. Somebody draw a diagram for him and show him how a pick and roll works.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#5 » by j-ragg » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:08 pm

Bensational wrote:
Vuc gets posted up the 3rd most in the league, and he gives up the most points per game off Post Ups.

I might come off as a Vooch hater a lot but the guy just can't play defense.

He doesn't jump to contest anything. At his height he could at least luck into blocking one shot a game if he stuck his arms up.

Decent - good offensive player but if we keep waiting for this mythological power forward that blocks shots while stretches the floor while is a go to guy on offense we're going to be waiting a long time.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#6 » by claudio-br » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:00 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Bensational wrote:

He doesn't jump to contest anything. At his height he could at least luck into blocking one shot a game if he stuck his arms up.

Decent - good offensive player but if we keep waiting for this mythological power forward that blocks shots while stretches the floor while is a go to guy on offense we're going to be waiting a long time.

he's a great scorer and rebounder, but he is a poor defender. that's a fact. there's a difference between acknowledging weaknesses and being a hater,,,
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Bensational » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:21 pm

tooler wrote:It's weird that teams post him up so much since it doesn't seem that effective.

yeah, it's not like he gets abused on that play in terms of PPP, is just the frequency with which teams go at him. that suggests why a lot of C's score above their average against him - because offenses are geared that way.

but why? is it just to mix things up? cos scoring off spot ups seems much more efficient against us as a play. heck, we're give up the most points in transition, so teams should just run against us. that, and put backs. we give up a lot on putbacks too, but only 5% of the game.

we only get posted up 10% of the time, so it's not an overwhelming element.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,334

Pick & Roll breakdowns 

Post#8 » by tooler » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:24 pm

I agree about Vuc but notice those are per game numbers not per possession. Not sure why teams post him up so much.

Get him into foul trouble? Because we don't send help? Maybe because he's white?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Bensational » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:35 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Bensational wrote:

i've definitely got my questions about him on defense, but i've always maintained we need a proper defensive coach to see what they can get out of him first and foremost.

his athleticism isn't an issue for me - i don't mind that he plays on the ground and will rarely ever get caught up in the air. for me it's more that his defense doesn't seem to intimidate players. they go at him without fear, and they still manage to shoot a good % over the top of him, even when he's playing good defense. consider this: teams and players know that they've got greater than 50/50 odds that their shot will go in if they attack Vuc in the paint. that's better than a coin toss. and in a league where i think psychology heavily influences play, that's a major leg up for a player.

BUT. and this is the biggest but.... look at those offensive numbers again. the guy isn't a decent-good offensive option, he's a truly elite scorer. when you consider how efficient he is, and how frequently he performs a play, you'd assume that it would give teams ample opportunity to figure out how to disrupt it - unless they can't. Anthony Davis and Durant show up with similar patterns (although, those guys are very much in another stratosphere), but Vuc is certainly up there with LMA and Blake Griffin in terms of how good he is as a post scorer.

the only difference is that it seems easier to find a defensive C to compliment an offensive PF, than it is to find a defensive PF to compliment an offensive C.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Bensational » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:36 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:LMAO @ Elfrid being 177th at scoring as a pick and roll ballhandler, then being 183rd at defending the other end. Somebody draw a diagram for him and show him how a pick and roll works.

yeah, it really is underwhelming how poorly our guards show up within defensive measurements.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,000

Post#11 » by p0peye » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:01 pm

Bensational wrote:Vuc gets posted up the 3rd most in the league, and he gives up the most points per game off Post Ups.

The first implies the latter. This shows that for some reason, teams go at Vučević in post, even though he gives up 0.87 PPP at 45% FG, with low frequency of And 1. This is about average defensive stat and Nikola does not foul while defending (DD for instance is among league leaders at that).

I agree that this might be a result of not intimidating opponents. Or teams are trying to make him work on defensive side to lower his impact on offense.

Return to Orlando Magic