ImageImageImageImage

THE Aaron Gordon thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Re: Re: 

Post#601 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 8, 2015 5:37 pm

Catledge wrote:
Zmill wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Or what?
I really hope people don't start turning on Elf and giving him ultimatums just because he wasn't goat in summer league. We don't need to pigeonhole these guys into a specific time frame of improvement. I'm fine with the trajectory of Elf's development, even if he's not Curry shooting the ball he'll be an elite defender and playmaker and I'm fine with that. Not every player improves at the same rate.

the summer league hype fest has been something else around here

seeing improvement both statistically and through the eye test is nice but I've seen multiple people these past few days relegate elfrid to a bench role/giving an ultimatum. and i have no clue where people are forming these thoughts, other than his summer league performance.

FWIW, I've been on record this whole time that Payton has been handed a role that he is not ready for and that people seem to be giving him credit for things that he has not yet done. That was one thing during the tank, but now that we're trying to win, I think it would be a mistake to continue to gift him starter's minutes if he doesn't make significant strides.

And it seems to me that summer league is a venue in which we could reasonably expect to see progress. I'm not suggesting that we should give up on him, but I don't see what he's done to earn a free pass on summer league.

i think he showed last year that he CAN handle the role, just that he is still a developing player that has things to work on. He didnt look overwhelmed to me running the offense, which to me is when a player has a role that shouldnt have.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: THE Aaron Gordon thread 

Post#602 » by Skin » Wed Jul 8, 2015 6:30 pm

phiphan wrote:Hey guys, Sixers fan here. Just wondering if there were any off-season reports of Aaron Gordon selling his soul to the devil? Dude looks amazing...

Also, grats on your core of youngsters. Orlando is the only team I'm jealous of in the league. I watch your team's summer league highlights before I watch the Sixers', haha.

:lol: And1 for being funny.

I think you guys are on your way too. Embiid's injury seems like a nightmare so far, but I love what Noel is turning into. Give us Noel and we'll give you Tobias. 8-)

My biggest question mark was why did you let go of KJ McDaniels... Anyhow... thanks for chiming in.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#603 » by Catledge » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:23 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Catledge wrote:
Zmill wrote:

seeing improvement both statistically and through the eye test is nice but I've seen multiple people these past few days relegate elfrid to a bench role/giving an ultimatum. and i have no clue where people are forming these thoughts, other than his summer league performance.

FWIW, I've been on record this whole time that Payton has been handed a role that he is not ready for and that people seem to be giving him credit for things that he has not yet done. That was one thing during the tank, but now that we're trying to win, I think it would be a mistake to continue to gift him starter's minutes if he doesn't make significant strides.

And it seems to me that summer league is a venue in which we could reasonably expect to see progress. I'm not suggesting that we should give up on him, but I don't see what he's done to earn a free pass on summer league.

i think he showed last year that he CAN handle the role, just that he is still a developing player that has things to work on. He didnt look overwhelmed to me running the offense, which to me is when a player has a role that shouldnt have.

I don't think he has shown that. I think he has shown that he is a good ball handler, a very good passer, a poor finisher at the rim, and a very poor shooter. I can't think of another starting NBA pg with that matrix of offensive skills, which makes me doubt his viability as a starting pg unless that matrix changes.

Now, if he becomes a good rim finisher and an average shooter, then he can be an elite player. I just don't see why he wouldn't use summer league to work on those things.
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#604 » by Tayswagzzz » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:27 pm

Payton needs improved shooting and to be able to hit at least 70% on FT's so that he's not just a one dimensional player. If he can open that part of his game up, he's no doubt an amazing talent. His handling, passing, and natural bball iq is all at a high level already. He just needs to gain respect on his jumper and ft's and the kid will have an amazing career.
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#605 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:32 pm

Catledge wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Catledge wrote:

I don't think he has shown that. I think he has shown that he is a good ball handler, a very good passer, a poor finisher at the rim, and a very poor shooter. I can't think of another starting NBA pg with that matrix of offensive skills, which makes me doubt his viability as a starting pg unless that matrix changes.

Now, if he becomes a good rim finisher and an average shooter, then he can be an elite player. I just don't see why he wouldn't use summer league to work on those things.

we'll just have to disagree. To me, i could see a night and day difference in our offense when he was on the floor running it, vs when we had anyone else in acting as PG.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#606 » by Catledge » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:44 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Catledge wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

we'll just have to disagree. To me, i could see a night and day difference in our offense when he was on the floor running it, vs when we had anyone else in acting as PG.

To be clear, are you saying that you think 1) Payton need not grow his skill set or 2) that he is so clearly on a path to that needed skill growth that we need not see any evidence of it in summer league?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Post#607 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:57 pm

He's not a poor finisher at the rim.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#608 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:58 pm

Catledge wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Catledge wrote:

To be clear, are you saying that you think 1) Payton need not grow his skill set or 2) that he is so clearly on a path to that needed skill growth that we need not see any evidence of it in summer league?

i already said what i think. He showed that he can handle the role of starting PG, but that he is still developing as a player and definitely has things he needs to continue to work on. I never said that he "need not grow his skill set" nor that we dont need to see it in SL.

i think he showed last year that he CAN handle the role, just that he is still a developing player that has things to work on.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#609 » by Orlwillbeback » Wed Jul 8, 2015 7:59 pm

SOUL wrote:He's not a poor finisher at the rim.

He most certainly is.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#610 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:03 pm

42% isn't crazy but pretty normal for guards that enter the league, but he had two months of 45% and has very little offense outside of the paint, so something has to give. He's not a poor finisher. He's shown he can finish. Just has to do it more consistently, just like every guard that's came in recently.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#611 » by Orlwillbeback » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:05 pm

SOUL wrote:42% isn't crazy but pretty normal for guards that enter the league, but he had two months of 45% and has very little offense outside of the paint, so something has to give. He's not a poor finisher. He's shown he can finish. Just has to do it more consistently, just like every guard that's came in recently.

Lol 42% is pretty **** bad
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#612 » by SOUL » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:15 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
SOUL wrote:42% isn't crazy but pretty normal for guards that enter the league, but he had two months of 45% and has very little offense outside of the paint, so something has to give. He's not a poor finisher. He's shown he can finish. Just has to do it more consistently, just like every guard that's came in recently.

Chris Paul rookie year = 43
Oladipo rookie year = 41
Kidd = 38
Lillard = 42
John Wall = 40
Deron = 42
Parker = 41
Westbrook = 39
Kemba = 36

I can keep going lol. And I'm not saying he is a perfect finisher, he isn't .. but he's shown a nifty floater and some nice moves around the basket, but he obviously still missed some easy opportunities and got blocked at times. All of these players are different too as some obviously played the perimeter more and others didn't, but it's almost the same range regardless.

Just saying he has offense around the basket.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#613 » by ivDT » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:23 pm

i swear, point guard is like the one position where magic fans refuse to give players any slack. even rookies. been that way for as long as i've been here.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#614 » by Skin » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:27 pm

Is this the Elfrid Payton thread?

Let's get this back on topic... Aaron Gordon... Better as a starting SF or starting PF? DEBATE!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,729

Post#615 » by thelead » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:32 pm

Skin wrote:Is this the Elfrid Payton thread?

Let's get this back on topic... Aaron Gordon... Better as a starting SF or starting PF? DEBATE!

I don't think there's much of a debate if his jumper is good. I thought he had the possibility of bulking up a bit and play PF but it doesn't look like AG agrees with that. Tobes better hit the gym a bit more and get ready for the PF spot.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#616 » by Orlwillbeback » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:33 pm

SOUL wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:

Chris Paul rookie year = 43
Oladipo rookie year = 41
Kidd = 38
Lillard = 42
John Wall = 40
Deron = 42
Parker = 41
Westbrook = 39
Kemba = 36

I can keep going lol. And I'm not saying he is a perfect finisher, he isn't .. but he's shown a nifty floater and some nice moves around the basket, but he obviously still missed some easy opportunities and got blocked at times. All of these players are different too as some obviously played the perimeter more and others didn't, but it's almost the same range regardless.

Just saying he has offense around the basket.

The question wasnt how he compared to other rookies overall it was how he fared overall to everyone.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#617 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:39 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Catledge wrote:
Zmill wrote:

I'd like to add that I though he did look slightly overwhelmed at first but improved over the course of the season when the game slowed down for him. That's why I'm confident he'll be fine moving forward. People get caught up in summer league hype and that's when the novelty of our rookies begin to wear off. Everyone was hyped about Dipo, then we drafted AG and Elf and suddenly people are questioning whether or not he belongs on the team anymore. It's business as usual around here. Magic fans hate on the players we have and love the players we don't...Until we get them that is, then they hate them too. I think the negatives resonate with people more than the positives, which I'm totally guilty of.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#618 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:50 pm

AG is more suited to guard the Lebrons/Leonards/Durants of the league.

Stick Harris at the 4 and pray Skiles improves our team defense.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#619 » by Def Swami » Wed Jul 8, 2015 8:51 pm

Probably SF, but I have no problem with Harris and Gordon starting together and switching between the forward positions.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#620 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 9:02 pm

Despite what I said a few weeks ago in the draft thread, he looks like a future SF to me. But for now, his minutes are likely to be found at PF.

I really hope he wins that PF job in camp.

Return to Orlando Magic