ImageImageImageImage

THE Aaron Gordon thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Magic4champ
Junior
And1: 237

Post#541 » by Magic4champ » Tue May 26, 2015 11:33 pm

AG will develop into our playmaking, shooting, post-passing power forward he is envisioned to become. Prototypical of Diaw and Grèen is giving for their teams dynamic team plays. Next season will be a big step forward.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using RealGM Forums mobile app
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Re: THE Aaron Gordon thread 

Post#542 » by seeingstars » Wed May 27, 2015 7:13 pm

seeingstars wrote:Aaron Gordon is a ball player. He's played basketball his entire life. Saying we could turn him into a basketball player seems erroneous seeing as that is what he has been for most of his life. Again, let's see some actual playing time and a coach who knows what he's doing before we write off Aaron as vert in shoes and nothing more.
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#543 » by fendilim » Thu May 28, 2015 5:34 am

seeingstars wrote:
seeingstars wrote:Aaron Gordon is a ball player. He's played basketball his entire life. Saying we could turn him into a basketball player seems erroneous seeing as that is what he has been for most of his life. Again, let's see some actual playing time and a coach who knows what he's doing before we write off Aaron as vert in shoes and nothing more.

So I see the jury may still be out on Elfrid, Victor, KOQ, Harkless, Nicholson too.. as all have played only under Jacque and James. :D
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,189

Post#544 » by cedric76 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:13 am

Aaron is gonna be lbj s kryptonite
seeingstars
Sixth Man

Post#545 » by seeingstars » Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm

fendilim wrote:
seeingstars wrote:

So I see the jury may still be out on Elfrid, Victor, KOQ, Harkless, Nicholson too.. as all have played only under Jacque and James. :D

And they've all been out of puberty for 6+ years and seen real playing time.
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
seeingstars
Sixth Man

Post#546 » by seeingstars » Wed Jun 3, 2015 9:40 pm

IMHO Aaron Gordon will be better than anyone we end up drafting this year.

All 22 dunks from last year...
https://youtu.be/l515-ZJrASY

I can't wait to see what he has in store for us next season.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#547 » by Melvinlocker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:50 pm

http://www.blazersedge.com/2014/6/10/57 ... 1434030253

So this was a fun read about AG's projected stats for the first 3 years.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer

Post#548 » by Melvinlocker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:53 pm

OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#549 » by OrlDave » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:29 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:Here are the average measurements and athletic testing results for the draft combine over the years:

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-dra ... ft=0&sort=

Compare that to Gordon's combine measurements and athletic tests:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Aaron-Gordon-6458/

For the lazy, here are AG's other 2 stats that aren't right on his profile page. Bench press isn't something they seem to measure anymore.

Lane Agility: 10.81 (this number is incredible for a forward. It's better than the average PG)
3/4 sprint: 3.27
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#550 » by OrlDave » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:http://www.blazersedge.com/2014/6/10/57 ... 1434030253

So this was a fun read.

These are from last year, but... if you are telling me AG's probable outcome is Gerald Wallace or Jamaal Mashburn, I'd say that's not bad. Those two guys were both extremely solid NBA players with Mash putting up 20+ points in a number of seasons. Even Chris Mills as worst case isn't that bad. Sure he's not great, but he was a double digit scorer most his career.

Poor Exum, most probable Tony Wroten or Harold Minor... lulz.
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer

Post#551 » by Melvinlocker » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:07 pm

OrlDave wrote:

So this was a fun read.

These are from last year, but... if you are telling me AG's probable outcome is Gerald Wallace or Jamaal Mashburn, I'd say that's not bad. Those two guys were both extremely solid NBA players with Mash putting up 20+ points in a number of seasons. Even Chris Mills as worst case isn't that bad. Sure he's not great, but he was a double digit scorer most his career.

Yeah, I think I posted this about a year ago and barring the injury AG I think would have more or less kept pace with the projections. It's crazy how close he gets with some of his projections. The high end of Grant Hill circa 2004-05 isn't too shabby either. I'd definitely settle for a Mashburn/Wallace combo though. 8-)

I'm interested to see how he plays next year.
OrlDave
General Manager

Post#552 » by OrlDave » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:33 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

So this was a fun read.

Yeah, I think I posted this about a year ago and barring the injury AG I think would have more or less kept pace with the projections. It's crazy how close he gets with some of his projections. The high end of Grant Hill circa 2004-05 isn't too shabby either. I'd definitely settle for a Mashburn/Wallace combo though. 8-)

I'm interested to see how he plays next year.

For sure. I definitely think AG has the skills to be a point forward type in GHill's mold.
seeingstars
Sixth Man

Post#553 » by seeingstars » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Yes yes and YES. Do not underestimate Gordon's potential. He's the plastic man!
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,654

Post#554 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:30 pm

The main question I want to know an answer too is if The Magic consider him to be a 3 or a 4.

I think he is a 4 and which ever way The Magic feel, could have a huge impact on who if they Draft a small forward or a big.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 461

Post#555 » by uraverage » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Howard Mass wrote:The main question I want to know an answer too is if The Magic consider him to be a 3 or a 4.

I think he is a 4 and which ever way The Magic feel, could have a huge impact on who if they Draft a small forward or a big.

I don't think we will have this answer until we see if Harris is resigned or walks. If we keep Harris, Aaron is a 4. If we let Harris walk Aaron is a 3....
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#556 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:16 pm

uraverage wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:The main question I want to know an answer too is if The Magic consider him to be a 3 or a 4.

I don't think we will have this answer until we see if Harris is resigned or walks. If we keep Harris, Aaron is a 4. If we let Harris walk Aaron is a 3....

This is also true but I still think who The Magic draft is a bigger factor.

Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#557 » by Instincts » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
uraverage wrote:

To much attention is being paid to whether Gordon is a 3 or a 4. In his prime he will easily have the capability to slide between the 3 and 4. Is Lebron a 3 or a 4, it depends on the lineup he is playing with, and his most advantageous matchup, among other things.

Whether he is a 3 or 4 should have very little impact on who we draft. Don't fall into the train of thought that we have to come away from this draft with a perfectly balanced complete starting five. We need talent, the best talent at #5, the roster will be balanced over the next few years through player development, free agency, and trades.

With that said, A.Gordon is the the last player on the roster to move as things shakeout. If the shot comes, the sky is the limit. Grant Hill, Blake Griffin, a combination of both, it will be fun to see if he can fulfill his lofty potential.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#558 » by Howard Mass » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Instincts wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
uraverage wrote:

To much attention is being paid to whether Gordon is a 3 or a 4. In his prime he will easily have the capability to slide between the 3 and 4. Is Lebron a 3 or a 4, it depends on the lineup he is playing with, and his most advantageous matchup, among other things.

Whether he is a 3 or 4 should have very little impact on who we draft. Don't fall into the train of thought that we have to come away from this draft with a perfectly balanced complete starting five. We need talent, the best talent at #5, the roster will be balanced over the next few years through player development, free agency, and trades.

With that said, A.Gordon is the the last player on the roster to move as things shakeout. If the shot comes, the sky is the limit. Grant Hill, Blake Griffin, a combination of both, it will be fun to see if he can fulfill his lofty potential.

The NBA is not so much position anywhere but I still think it could be very telling based on who they draft.

If they feel Aaron Gordon is going to start at the 4 next year, they might decide to draft a small forward.

It's possible they go BPA too.

seeingstars
Sixth Man

Post#559 » by seeingstars » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Instincts wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
uraverage wrote:

The fact that we can say he could be hill or griffin or a combo of both is pretty insane. I love watching magic basketball and I'm so glad we drafted him. As Sam Jackson so eloquently put it in Jurassic Park "hold onto your butts"
Instincts
Pro Prospect
And1: 476

Post#560 » by Instincts » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:46 pm

Or if the BPA is Winslow/Hezonja then he plays more 4 next year, assuming the draft pick is ready to start.

If the BPA is Ponzingis/WCS then he plays more 3.

Regardless, he will get plenty of time at the 3 and the 4 over the next few years as the lineup irons out.

And yes I am glad we draft him too.

Return to Orlando Magic