ImageImageImageImage

Next years team?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: Next years team? 

Post#21 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:29 am

MellowRose wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
MellowRose wrote:Payton
Russell
D. Green or DeMarre Carroll or Dunleavy
Gordon / Myles Turner or WCS.
Vucevic

I know I'm going to get killed for not having Oladipo here, but his defense has dropped off, he's become way too ball dominant (although, he's been better since he's been a 2 guard), and I don't think his jumper will ever be consistent.

So, package Oladipo and almost anybody else, and get another top 10 pick + another asset. Select Myles Turner or WCS.

Most importantly though, this team has to revolve around Payton. Surround Payton with knock down shooters and some great defensive pieces, and this will be a contending team in no time.

OR

Payton
Oladipo
Gordon
KAT
WCS

KAT and WCS have been doing some great things together. Of course, parting with Vucevic would be hard and we'd have to get more than a draft pick for him. Although, this team doesn't have very good spacing, and I prefer the first one.

This is fun.

Your hate for Oladipo is mind blowing. :noway:

Explain to me why I have Oladipo in my avatar then.

Oxymoron :dontknow:
How about you explain it to me? You've been looking for ways to get rid of him most of this season.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#22 » by woosah » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:31 am

MellowRose wrote:
woosah wrote:
MellowRose wrote:Payton
Russell
D. Green or DeMarre Carroll or Dunleavy
Gordon / Myles Turner or WCS.
Vucevic

I know I'm going to get killed for not having Oladipo here, but his defense has dropped off, he's become way too ball dominant (although, he's been better since he's been a 2 guard), and I don't think his jumper will ever be consistent.

So, package Oladipo and almost anybody else, and get another top 10 pick. Select Myles Turner or WCS.

Most importantly though, this team has to revolve around Payton. Surround Payton with knock down shooters and some great defensive pieces, and this will be a contending team in no time.

Wow Mellow.
So what did you do with Tobias in your scenario?

How can you talk about Dipo's defense and all and then have Dunleavy as one of your possible gets?

You want Dunleavy but no Tobes or Dipo because of defense? nsis

I love Gordon and Payton but they are not ready to be the team next year and i am really surprised at your wanting to build around Payton while slighting Dipo for his offense. You aren't sure Dipo will ever have a good jumper but Payton you are sure of? I know, your plan is to bring in shooters so he won't have to and he can average 18 assists but Dipo is miles ahead of Payton on shooting so it just sounds contradictory to me.

No idea about Tobias. Don't want to let him walk, so I guess signing him would be best, and then dumping him later.

Dunleavy would be a last resort, but he's someone we need, especially with the floor spacing he's capable of.

Oladipo will never be as good a floor general as Payton, and offensively, Oladipo isn't someone you can build around, IMO. Can you build around a pass first PG? Sure. Payton's defense this season has been far superior to Oladipo's. As for offense, Oladipo has been better at the rim, but don't you remember Oladipo's FG at the rim last season? It was terrible.

I'm willing to bet that Payton has a dramatic FG% increase next season, and his FT shooting will be better as well. As for his jumpshot, he'll never be a consistent threat, which is okay since he does so many other things.

I see Dipo being our first option next year. YEP i said it. Payton will be deferring to him, especially at the end of games, until he gets his offense to that level or we get a better option.

Now, will we get a better option? If we get that Russell guy everyone is hyped over then maybe he becomes that. If our main pieces remain the same and we don't bring in a Jimmy Butler type then it's gonna be Dipo. Payton is not ready and we are not tanking next year. Even if we keep Tobias, Dipo is the guy imo and you can stay mad lol (i know you're not really mad, but you will get over whatever it is).

If we get Towns, then i still see us needing Dipo more than anyone else on this team. I just don't get you but you said what you wanted so that is what this thread is for. *shrug*
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#23 » by MellowRose » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:54 am

Nemesis21 wrote:
MellowRose wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Your hate for Oladipo is mind blowing. :noway:

Explain to me why I have Oladipo in my avatar then.

Oxymoron :dontknow:
How about you explain it to me? You've been looking for ways to get rid of him most of this season.

With the way this team is currently constructed, I don't see a back court of Payton and Oladipo working out. Factor in Gordon, who also can't shoot, and all of us are relying too much on "hope", "work ethic" and, to a certain degree, luck. It's not easy for terrible shooters to become consistent shooters.

Get the ball in Payton's hands, someone with remarkably low TO rate, and let him create for others, as he's shown he can do time and time again. Defensively, surround him with other elite defenders, and instill an aggressive defensive scheme, and this team is set.

He'll have shooters in Russell and Green, and a cutter in Gordon. Vucevic can do anything and everything. This is a balanced team, IMO. As for the bench, Dedmond will back up Vucevic, and Myles Turner / WCS can be slotted in at PF, although a WCS and Dedmond front court would be interesting, yet redundant.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,245

Post#24 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:31 am

I can see prioritizing Payton over Oladipo. Real plus minus has Payton in the 75th percentile on offense and 82nd percentile on defense, by far our best player. However, Oladipo is in the 85th percentile on offense and was in the 72nd percentile on defense just last season, so his defensive slump does not need to be over concerning. Me, I'm happy with them both and just want a good coach to come in and clean things up.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#25 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:53 am

eyriq wrote:I can see prioritizing Payton over Oladipo. Real plus minus has Payton in the 75th percentile on offense and 82nd percentile on defense, by far our best player. However, Oladipo is in the 85th percentile on offense and was in the 72nd percentile on defense just last season, so his defensive slump does not need to be over concerning. Me, I'm happy with them both and just want a good coach to come in and clean things up.

A jump shot is all that keeps Payton from very easily being a super star PG prospect. Unfortunately, his shot is soooooo bad that he is currently a long ways from this.
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#26 » by MellowRose » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:00 am

eyriq wrote:I can see prioritizing Payton over Oladipo. Real plus minus has Payton in the 75th percentile on offense and 82nd percentile on defense, by far our best player. However, Oladipo is in the 85th percentile on offense and was in the 72nd percentile on defense just last season, so his defensive slump does not need to be over concerning. Me, I'm happy with them both and just want a good coach to come in and clean things up.

Last season, Oladipo had the 9th best DRPM out of all SG's. This season, he's ranked 75. That dropoff is ridiculous.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:04 am

MellowRose wrote:

Last season, Oladipo had the 9th best DRPM out of all SG's. This season, he's ranked 75. That dropoff is ridiculous.

So, which way do you lean, good defender with fluky 2nd year performance or poor defender with fluky rookie year performance?
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#28 » by MellowRose » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:08 am

eyriq wrote:
MellowRose wrote:

So, which way do you lean, good defender with fluky 2nd year performance or poor defender with fluky rookie year performance?

Well, it'd be foolish to say he's a poor defender, so I won't go that route. However, I feel like he's too focused on the offensive side of the ball, and has forgotten all about defense. I blame this on the coaching staff and on Oladipo, since he should know what got him to be a high pick in the 2013 draft after all.

If we get a coach with a solid defensive scheme, and insists on defense first, we'll see Payton and Oladipo, and the team as a whole, be amongst the best defenders in the league.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#29 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:12 am

People keep calling Aaron Gordon a bad shooter, but the fact remains that so far in the NBA he hasn't been.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#30 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:16 am

:nod:
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#31 » by OrlandO » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:23 am

Fwiw, since promoting Payton to starter permanently back in December (next to dipo), he has shot a better percentage from mid-range than Wiggins, Smart and Lavine (tied 2nd among rookies, minimum 40 FGA).

BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#32 » by BCS » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:13 am

Trading Dipo would be a huge mistake for us, he is our only player that is marketable, and potential league favorite if you know what I mean. It's only a matter of time until the league decides to take Dipo to the next level like they did with Wade and Harden. Once he starts getting the calls he will easily avg over 20 pts a game.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#33 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:40 am

OrlandO wrote:Fwiw, since promoting Payton to starter permanently back in December (next to dipo), he has shot a better percentage from mid-range than Wiggins, Smart and Lavine (tied 2nd among rookies, minimum 40 FGA).

:clap:
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,917

Post#34 » by drsd » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:17 am

eyriq wrote:Aaron Gordon, Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo, Dewayne Dedmon, and Nikola Vucevic are five roster spots I'm very confident will remain the same.

And what roster slot does Gordon-A occupy?

drsd
RealGM

Post#35 » by drsd » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:18 am

BCS wrote:
Versubio wrote:
BCS wrote:As far as I know O'quinn is not a RFA, so why would he stay? I believe he is actually valued among the league, so he is going to get paid well wherever he ends up. Are we willing to pay more because I believe that is the only chance to keep him. If I'm KOQ though I value playing time a lil bit more at this point in his career which he is not getting here.

Some sites have him as a RFA in 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/kyle-oquinn/

You are correct, but yea if we do match at a reasonable contract I will most likely still trade down the road. He just lost his spot in our rotation and it will be hard for him to earn it back.

If O'Quinn gets a 22/4 deal, I do see GM swallowing that as a tradeable contract. But if a team like the Knicks offer 25/3, then what?

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:45 pm

drsd wrote:
eyriq wrote:Aaron Gordon, Elfrid Payton, Victor Oladipo, Dewayne Dedmon, and Nikola Vucevic are five roster spots I'm very confident will remain the same.

And what roster slot does Gordon-A occupy?

You mean in terms of minutes? I would like to think top 5 as a starting forward. That would also be my guess.
drsd
RealGM

Post#37 » by drsd » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:50 pm

eyriq wrote:You mean in terms of minutes? I would like to think top 5 as a starting forward. That would also be my guess.

I assume that you mean that it is nuclear if Gordon-A is projected as a SF or a PF, but that he will start somewhere. I agree. But this "if" on his position has huge implications on Harris.

Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#38 » by Viper1500 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:39 pm

This team needs a 3pt shooter at the 3. I want Danny Green or Middleton. I'd say keep Frye, I believe he could still be used properly by a better coach.

Once again, like last year, I believe we will fall out of the top prospects. Mudiay, Russell, Towns and Okafor.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#39 » by Catledge » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:14 pm

I agree with the general consensus that a starting pf is our top need, and another pg is our second-biggest need. I think I disagree with a lot of people in that I feel that we should bring in somebody that can compete with Payton, who I think is probably another year away from being a legit starter.

As to the role for whomever we draft, I think back on how unready our recent #2, #4, and #10 picks were for a starting role, and I don't see why anybody would think that a pick in the #5-#10 range this year will be any more ready than those guys were.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#40 » by Last Guardian » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:55 pm

Elfrid Payton/FA
Victor Oladipo/Evan Fournier
Aaron Gordon/Moe Harkless
Dewayne Dedmon/DRAFT
Nikola Vucevic/DRAFT or FA

Before I get attacked....I am not saying we will be good. I just think this is what it will look like. If not Dedmon, someone similar to his defensive ability is a REQUIREMENT imo.

Return to Orlando Magic