ImageImageImageImage

Game thread 3/15 6PM - Development game #68 - Next up: Cleveland

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pogiro
Rookie
And1: 512

Re: Game thread 3/15 6PM - Development game #68 - Next up: Cleveland 

Post#381 » by pogiro » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:27 am

MagicFan101 wrote:The people who don't like Henny as a GM are either blind or have no sense of logic.

Above all else, a GM has two primary responsibilities.

1) Identify talent
2) Aquire talent

Anyone claiming Henny isn't fantastic at identifing talent is a blind hater.

Now, role two is more difficult to evaluate so far. Yes, he has acquired some nice players through the draft and through trading Dwight but we don't want to regularly find ourselves in the position of trading a super star or drafting in the lottery. So Henny next has to prove that he can go out on the open market and sign guys to help our team. He hasn't had a chance to do that yet.

Henny report card:
Role 1 = A+
Role 2 = incomplete (will be graded after 2015 free agency).

Talent schmalent. I want wins. Is that too much to expect?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#382 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:27 am

purpleswordfish wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:The people who don't like Henny as a GM are either blind or have no sense of logic.

1) Identify talent
2) Aquire talent

Now, role two is more difficult to evaluate so far. Yes, he has acquired some nice players through the draft and through trading Dwight but we don't want to regularly find ourselves in the position of trading a super star or drafting in the lottery. So Henny next has to prove that he can go out on the open market and sign guys to help our team. He hasn't had a chance to do that yet.

Henny report card:
Role 1 = A+

That's pretty much par for the course on this forum - disagree with the consensus and you're stupid. As I said earlier to woosah, that's fine. But, I would just politely state that just because someone doesn't agree with you, that doesn't mean that they're "blind."

So point out the error in my evaluation.

Role 1:
Do you believe he is a poor judge of talent?

Role 2:
We have firmly AVOIDED spending money. That doesn't mean he can or can't recruit free agents to Orlando. We simply don't know... but we will find out this summer.

A good GM has to be good at both of these. You have to see talent others have missed and you have to be able to woo the guys everyone wants. So if Henny proves to only be talented in Role 1, then he is better suited as a scout than a GM. But we don't know that this is the case yet.

Again, please tell us why you already KNOW he is a bad GM. ... and no, failing to win games while not trying to win games isn't a good answer.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#383 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:30 am

pogiro wrote:

1) Identify talent
2) Aquire talent

Henny report card:
Role 1 = A+

Not at all. There is nothing wrong with fans wanting to see their favorite teams do well. However, this isn't the same thing as cutting the cord on the re-build and declaring it a failure before it has played out.
pogiro
Rookie
And1: 512

Post#384 » by pogiro » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:37 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
pogiro wrote:

1) Identify talent
2) Aquire talent

Henny report card:
Role 1 = A+

Not at all. There is nothing wrong with fans wanting to see their favorite teams do well. However, this isn't the same thing as cutting the cord on the re-build and declaring it a failure before it has played out.

For clarity's sake, I'm on your side, hence the green font.

Just echoing Hennigan critics. Not saying Hennigan doesn't deserve criticism. JV bad. Frye bad. Everything, else is either too soon to call, has been a good move, or negligible.
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#385 » by CraZyPraiZ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:52 am

OrlDave wrote:
MagicMatty wrote:So I'm pro tank til the end of this year, but watching Boston makes me upset. I really hope a big trade happens this off season because I don't think all our pieces fit together and it's time to cash in

Watching Boston do what, try to get the 8th seed 7 games under .500? That team doesn't impress me at all. Heck, we were 2 minutes away from winning the series 3-1. Look at that line up and tell me who you'd want? Even their best players are undersized (Thomas, Bradley). I mean it's cool they are competing, but they need some serious help. That said, they ARE Boston, so the chance of them getting decent FAs is better than for us.

I'm jealous of their coach. ☺
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#386 » by OrlDave » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:02 am

CraZyPraiZ wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
MagicMatty wrote:So I'm pro tank til the end of this year, but watching Boston makes me upset. I really hope a big trade happens this off season because I don't think all our pieces fit together and it's time to cash in

Watching Boston do what, try to get the 8th seed 7 games under .500? That team doesn't impress me at all. Heck, we were 2 minutes away from winning the series 3-1. Look at that line up and tell me who you'd want? Even their best players are undersized (Thomas, Bradley). I mean it's cool they are competing, but they need some serious help. That said, they ARE Boston, so the chance of them getting decent FAs is better than for us.

I'm jealous of their coach. ☺

Haha, well THAT I can't argue with even a little. But I'm still holding out hope this off season.
Orlando_Boy
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#387 » by Orlando_Boy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:04 am

How did Aaron Gordon play tonight? I didn't get to watch the game!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,637

Post#388 » by SOUL » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:18 am

is purple really complaining about our rookies? yeah go cheer for exum and adrian payne or something if you're that annoyed at our players
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#389 » by OrlDave » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:29 am

Orlando_Boy wrote:How did Aaron Gordon play tonight? I didn't get to watch the game!

He was a bit jittery. Made a couple bad passes, missed a shot badly. Had his few moments as usual, nice rebound and put back and a nice defensive play on LBJ, but honestly he never really got into the flow of the game.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#390 » by woosah » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:44 am

SOUL wrote:is purple really complaining about our rookies? yeah go cheer for exum and adrian payne or something if you're that annoyed at our players

nah he's just grumpy and missing jv.

i wish he would just let it out.
Dear JV:
I can't take losing without you.
luv
purple
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,451

Post#391 » by Bensational » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:22 am

purpleswordfish wrote:
woosah wrote:
purpleswordfish wrote:I guess my question to you both is this: how many more 20-29 win rosters is Hennigan going to put together before his job is in jeopardy?

Nah the question is how many teams who lose their superstar contend right after?

That was almost three years ago. No one is asking them to contend. Ownership and Hennigan have both talked about "progress." Okay, why is it that after almost three years now that this team can't win 30 games in a season?

We are seeing progress. Vuc is a 20ppg player now. Dipo has basically become one since becoming a SG. We've got a rookie PG who looks poised to be a league leader in assists at some point in his career.

The Lakers haven't seen any progress, and they didn't even lose their best player/s. Nor has Philly. Philly only have one good young prospect to show for the last 3 seasons. Denver is below 30 wins, so they're trending downwards, too.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#392 » by j_n » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:49 am

This team is coming along very well, The growth of Dipo, Payton and Gordon alone should make next year a lot better, signing an NBA level backup PG and another big off the bench should help too, than there is the draft pick which should at least give up a solid bench player for next year if we keep it.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#393 » by Last Guardian » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:17 am

Didn't see the game but looking at the +/- it yet again seems like the starting lineup was competitive and the bench got destroyed. To the people who watched....is this accurate?
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Game thread 3/15 6PM - Development game #68 - Next up: Cleveland 

Post#394 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:37 pm

The cavs have 3 all stars so I wasn't really expecting a win. I do like the progress of our young players and expect to see that with our two rookies moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#395 » by drsd » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:01 pm

How does Nicholson get a ± of -15 in only 5 minutes played?
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,728

Post#396 » by thelead » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:22 pm

drsd wrote:How does Nicholson get a ± of -15 in only 5 minutes played?

Give Doct3r Dr3 a few minutes to put together a synopsis.

Return to Orlando Magic