ImageImageImageImage

5th Pick, Mario Hezonja: SUPER MARIO HYPE THREAD

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Re: 5th Pick, Mario Hezonja: SUPER MARIO HYPE THREAD 

Post#881 » by Melvinlocker » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:58 pm

Sensor wrote:
Melvinlocker wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
And Brandon Jennings got 32mpg under Skiles as a rookie. We don't know the reason Skiles didn't play Harris, but clearly Harris thinks the reason was justified and not arbitrary or he wouldn't be returning to Orlando to play under Skiles.

I'm pretty sure Skiles explained the Tobias part in an interview when he arrived here. He said something to the effect that at the time, Mike Dunleavy was the better offensive player and Luc Mbah a Moute was the better defender. I also want to say that tobias had been injured in training camp that year as well (can't confirm that).

As far as minutes go, I think Mario is going to end up competing with Moe Harkless for the backup up small forward minutes. I think Watson and Fournier have the backup guard minutes on lockdown. A feature role will come Mario's way as he progresses and acclimates to the NBA (I understand he was a pro, but transitioning to the NBA is still an adjustment).

I don't see Watson taking much mins at the 2 spot unles we're facing some weird combination of players on the other end. Mario(or Evan as you stated) seems like the better fit at the 2 for either Elf/Dipo. That 1/2 line up seems better than rolling out Elf/Watson or Dipo/Watson don't you think? It's ok if you disagree but IMO getting Mario as much burn as we're able to seems like the better short and long term course of action.

I don't see Watson taking the back up SG minutes, I think Fournier will do that instead. I think some people forget that he was a very productive starter level player on an NBA team last year until he was injured. He's also just 22 years old so he still has a great deal of room to improve as a player if he puts in the time. Those SG minutes will be hard to come by between Vic and Fournier.

Obviously Tobias or Aaron will be taking up a significant amount of the "SF" minutes, but there should be some leftovers for about 18-20 minutes a game for some player. I see Moe and Hezonja as the primary candidates for those minutes and I think Hezonja will eventually earn those minutes. However, I'm not so sure it's an absolute guarantee that he gets those minutes. Moe is a very young vet in this league who has already acclimated to playing the NBA game (has played significant starter minutes) which is a major adjustment for any rookie whether they have been a pro or not. He is probably going to be the better be defender on our team and Hezonja will more than likely be the better shooter coming in.

It's also important to remember that Moe is in a contract year and could very well come in and knock Skiles socks off. We know Skiles is the kind of guy who will play someone off of merit, not status so I think there will be real competition for these minutes.

Please don't take this as me not liking Mario as a player because I think he will be great for us. I'm just not so sure its going to be that easy for him to receive minutes coming into the season as many on this board think. Long term, I see him playing a significant role for us as long as he stays true to himself and keeps working hard (which I think he will).
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#882 » by Tayswagzzz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:15 pm

For clutch shots, I want either Harris, Oladipo, or Hezonja shooting them.
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Re: Re: 5th Pick, Mario Hezonja: SUPER MARIO HYPE THREAD 

Post#883 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:30 pm

OrlDave wrote:
fendilim wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:

Tobias Harris 2012-13

And yet... He also gave a rookie Ben gordon important minutes.

Aaron Levenstein once said — 'Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.'

And Brandon Jennings got 32mpg under Skiles as a rookie. We don't know the reason Skiles didn't play Harris, but clearly Harris thinks the reason was justified and not arbitrary or he wouldn't be returning to Orlando to play under Skiles.
ummm. I disagree. We know exactly why he didn't play him. He had guys ahead of him who could DEFEND. not saying they were better PLAYERS but better defenders and Dunleavy was having a career year.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#884 » by OrlandO » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:43 pm

I guess we shouldn't be surprised he doesn't really give a damn about nicknames.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#885 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Glad I stopped by to see what ORL fans where thinking of the coming year. You guys got me looking up DRAZEN PETROVIC

My memory of him was spotty.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjHr3emL1Lc[/youtube]
Incognito76
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#886 » by Incognito76 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:08 pm

Rosque wrote:here's a big ass article from croatian sports newspapers. tbh, i can't be arsed to translate it. i'm sure google translate would do just fine for semi-good comprehension of the text

http://sportske.jutarnji.hr/zvijezda-koju-je-hrvatska-cekala---zeli-sve-i-zeli-to-odmah--mogao-bi-biti-superstar--/1380858/

I will do quick translate... won't be 100% correct in english since i don't want to translate this for too long, will translate just stuff that could be intresting for magic fans. Good article.

Neven Spahija - Hawks assistant coach since last season and ex Croatian coach :

'Mario is type of player that would go 1 on 1 with Jordan and would challange him to do his best, he would shoot 3 over him and dunk on him. Mario expects maximum for opponents, teammates and the most from himself.''
''Mario seems to be doing fine so far, is handling pressure of 5th pick well. Don't take too much from Summer league since only 2-3 players will make the team.''
''There will be alot of competition at 2-3 spot but you don't draft player 5th at the draft to sit on the bench. Rob Hennigan has put his reputation in Hezonja's hands and his job will be evaluetaed based on Mario's performance.''
''Mario's athletic ability and range are on top NBA level but needs to improve other things too be top NBA player. Spahija expects Hezonja to be at liest solid NBA starter, maybe even this season.

Hezonja's coach in Dubrovnik(when he was much younger):

He talks that Hezonja sometimes wanted to win so bad that he would have to sit him down because he would start arguing with teammates. But after game he would always be cool and ask when is next training.
He talks that Mario put basketball as #1 priority since he was very young. He did ok in school but wasn't intrested really. He always played basketball as much as he could.

He is not arogant, he dosn't want to look tough he just want to be better then anybody else. Mario is positive player, good guy and good maners. That character that is labeled as cocky is just to the outside world ( like game face ).
''Scouts confuse his competitivness for being cocky or bad teammate. He just expects the best fro himself and others. He won't admit that someone is better then him. Privatly he is talkative and funny person, publicly he is colder''
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#887 » by OrlDave » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:23 pm

teleblaze wrote:After seeing the other 4 picks Hezonja is the best player int he draft
Your coach gives me the chills though, I hate the guy.
Smile once in a while you while you.

You've seen KP? I didn't think he played till today.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#888 » by OrlDave » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
fendilim wrote: And yet... He also gave a rookie Ben gordon important minutes.

Aaron Levenstein once said — 'Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.'

ummm. I disagree. We know exactly why he didn't play him. He had guys ahead of him who could DEFEND. not saying they were better PLAYERS but better defenders and Dunleavy was having a career year.

Yeah, the point wasn't really why, the point was that it was likely legitimate and not arbitrary and Harris understood that. If Mario doesn't play it is likely because of some deficiency in practice and not because he's a rookie.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#889 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:20 pm

AddiFB wrote:Somewhere, in a dark, lonely library, Patrick is going through every book of law to find anything that could render the signing of Mario Hezonja, illegal, only to be able to post "I told you so!". He has not gone home or taken a shower since Monday of last week.

:lol:
hands11
Banned User

Post#890 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:15 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/orl

Scott while start pushing these guys to win but ORL fans will need to be patient a few more years.

.500 would be awesome for them this year, but it might not happen.

Got some young players with talent though and adding a C.J. Watson was a great pick up. A young team needs vets like that.

Winning in the NBA is more then just talent. Its knowledge. Experience.

Amazing Tobias Harris is still just 22.

Man. ORL has so many players I targeted. Tobias Harris, VO, Vuc. I liked the Aaron Gordon pick. Now Mario and Tyler Harvey.

The East is getting tougher. If ORL could win 37 games, that would be a good step forward.

It might still take another 2 years for them to crack the playoffs. But that's ok. Enjoy the process.

Now Hezonja could be what accelerate all that. He seems so mentally and physically ready.

This will be a good year to see who stays and who becomes tradable assets to bring in vet players for the following year.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#891 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:16 pm

Tayswagzzz wrote:For clutch shots, I want either Harris, Oladipo, or Hezonja shooting them.
I would be fine with Vuc taking it as well
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Re: Re: Re: 5th Pick, Mario Hezonja: SUPER MARIO HYPE THREAD 

Post#892 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:18 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

Yeah, the point wasn't really why, the point was that it was likely legitimate and not arbitrary and Harris understood that. If Mario doesn't play it is likely because of some deficiency in practice and not because he's a rookie.
gotcha. I agree. I just hope of that happens people don't start doubting Mario.
hands11
Banned User

Post#893 » by hands11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:22 pm

OrlDave wrote:
teleblaze wrote:After seeing the other 4 picks Hezonja is the best player int he draft
Your coach gives me the chills though, I hate the guy.
Smile once in a while you while you.

You've seen KP? I didn't think he played till today.

It was a good draft. Bigs could show differently. Mario was a real nice pick.

Frank Kaminsky has a real fast release. He is going to be effective pretty quickly.

It takes at least 3 years to really grade a draft. Specially since some players land in bad situations. Okafor to PHI might take longer.

Karl Towns to MIN will be interesting. Like ORL, lots of young talent. MIN should be really to turn the corner as well.

Look back at team like GSW, LAC. They were terrible for years and now they are on top. NBA fortunes can change over 5 years.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#894 » by basketballRob » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:16 pm

Hopefully Mario can become an elite shooter. In the handful of minutes that he played last season he had a 5-6 and an 8-8 three point games. Reviewing Curry's game logs the past two seasons in 186 games including the playoffs he didn't have one game were he shot better than 80% from 3. In his final season at Davidson he shot 387 at 20 yo. Mario will be 20 this year, hopefully he can match or exceed that.
Sensor
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#895 » by Sensor » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:18 am

basketballRob wrote:Hopefully Mario can become an elite shooter. In the handful of minutes that he played last season he had a 5-6 and an 8-8 three point games. Reviewing Curry's game logs the past two seasons in 186 games including the playoffs he didn't have one game were he shot better than 80% from 3. In his final season at Davidson he shot 387 at 20 yo. Mario will be 20 this year, hopefully he can match or exceed that.

Numbers are often times misleading my friend. Not taking anything away from Mario but have to keep in perspective that defenses have always been geared towards stopping Curry while Mario wasn't the focus of an entire offense drawing all the defensive attention that Curry does. I'm excited to have him on our team though we need his floor spacing so badly.
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach
And1: 296

Post#896 » by J-Ville Smoke » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:23 am

hands11 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/orl

Scott while start pushing these guys to win but ORL fans will need to be patient a few more years.

.500 would be awesome for them this year, but it might not happen.

Got some young players with talent though and adding a C.J. Watson was a great pick up. A young team needs vets like that.

Winning in the NBA is more then just talent. Its knowledge. Experience.

Amazing Tobias Harris is still just 22.

Man. ORL has so many players I targeted. Tobias Harris, VO, Vuc. I liked the Aaron Gordon pick. Now Mario and Tyler Harvey.

The East is getting tougher. If ORL could win 37 games, that would be a good step forward.

It might still take another 2 years for them to crack the playoffs. But that's ok. Enjoy the process.

Now Hezonja could be what accelerate all that. He seems so mentally and physically ready.

This will be a good year to see who stays and who becomes tradable assets to bring in vet players for the following year.

I think everyone on this board would be satisfied with a 37 win season.
Волков бояться — в лес не ходить.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#897 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:28 pm

Hezonja's comfort with his new environs was obvious in the way he interacted with his new teammates, too. He often cheered on players when he sat on the bench, and he also laughed and joked often with Gordon and Elfrid Payton.

"My first [goal] was to get great chemistry with the teammates, and I did," Hezonja said. "So I'm really happy for that. And about the games and everything, the summer league is the summer league. To play and to get along with Elfrid and Aaron from the beginning in a game and with the rest as well [was good]."

Good takes on Gordon's and Hezonja's from the summer league !

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-orlando-magic-summer-league-0711-20150710-story.html
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,508

Post#898 » by doct3r dr3 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:51 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:It just occurred to me, there's a very real possibility that Hezonja begins the season as a third-stringer.

Melvinlocker wrote:As far as minutes go, I think Mario is going to end up competing with Moe Harkless for the backup up small forward minutes. I think Watson and Fournier have the backup guard minutes on lockdown. A feature role will come Mario's way as he progresses and acclimates to the NBA (I understand he was a pro, but transitioning to the NBA is still an adjustment).

[tweet]http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/620357148111978496[/tweet]

BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#899 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:16 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:It just occurred to me, there's a very real possibility that Hezonja begins the season as a third-stringer.

Melvinlocker wrote:As far as minutes go, I think Mario is going to end up competing with Moe Harkless for the backup up small forward minutes. I think Watson and Fournier have the backup guard minutes on lockdown. A feature role will come Mario's way as he progresses and acclimates to the NBA (I understand he was a pro, but transitioning to the NBA is still an adjustment).

There was no way Henzonja was coming in as the 3rd string SF. I like Moe and I still think he has a chance to be a contributor but Henzonja is just...well better.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Melvinlocker
Bench Warmer
And1: 650

Post#900 » by Melvinlocker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:38 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:

We may have dodged a bullet there. Here's to hoping Mario makes the most of his minutes.

Return to Orlando Magic