ImageImageImageImage

Magic Met With Millsap / Offering 4 Yr/80 Mil

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Re: Magic Met With Millsap / Offering 4 Yr/80 Mil 

Post#581 » by Rick Rolled » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:32 am

SOUL wrote:
silent1900 wrote:
arkknight1988 wrote:Job is on the line?

Three straight years of 20-something wins...declining attendance...pathetic free agent track record...opposing fans cheering us out of our own gym...1 for 6 on draft picks living up to their draft position...why on earth WOULDN'T his job be on the line?

1 for 6?

Stuff like that just kills the credibility of the entire post....

All of the other things were legitimate gripes, and then he just throws something like that out there. If he can justify that comment, I'll totally eat crow.

*Also don't care about the comment about the fans.... our fans sucked when we were good a few years back. Has little to do with Hennigan.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#582 » by TreasureCoast » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:32 am

Rick Rolled wrote:
SOUL wrote:
silent1900 wrote:
Three straight years of 20-something wins...declining attendance...pathetic free agent track record...opposing fans cheering us out of our own gym...1 for 6 on draft picks living up to their draft position...why on earth WOULDN'T his job be on the line?

1 for 6?

Stuff like that just kills the credibility of the entire post....

All of the other things were legitimate gripes, and then he just throws something like that out there. If he can justify that comment, I'll totally eat crow.

And I'm sure he's talking about Nicholson
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#583 » by silent1900 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:07 am

Rick Rolled wrote:
silent1900 wrote:
arkknight1988 wrote:Job is on the line?

Care to elaborate? In detail.

Hennigan's draft picks.... Nine in total...(not six)

Nicholson
O'Quinn
Oladipo
Osby
Gordon
Payton via Saric
Marble
Hezonja
Harvey

Not counting this year's picks, and I forgot all about the irrelevant Osby.

(Not looking up actual draft positions, so bear with me)

Nicholson...drafted 19 or 21, I think? No chance he brings us that value back in trade...easy fail.
O'Quinn...drafted top half of 2nd? Failed to carve out a meaningful role on a terrible team, lost job to Dedmon. if you want to call him a push, I won't fight you on it.
Oladipo...drafted 2nd overall. Not a team in this league would consider giving up a #2 pick for him right now, and likely not in the future without a very improbable leap in development. Fine player, mind you, but not approaching the value of a #2 pick.
Osby...Fail.
Gordon...jury is still out, obviously, but as it stands now there is no way he would fetch us a #4 pick
Payton...love the kid, great pick. Just would have been nice to not get extorted for him.
Marble...meh
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,349

Post#584 » by tooler » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:12 am

That's is a poor analysis that fails to consider the options available.

Yeah, Giannis and Gobert were there in 2013, but they were complete unknowns with huge question marks. Noel was there too with an injury. Oladipo still seemed like a solid pick with good upside. Given what a crapshoot the draft is, a solid starter with All-Star potential is pretty good out of that draft.

In 2014 we once again got screwed by missing the top 3, and then Embiid getting injured anyway. I've defended the Elfrid trade before, so I won't bring it up again.

Analyzing second round picks is kind of pointless. KOQ still has potential after a listless year.

Nicholson was rather unfortunate.
Rick Rolled
General Manager

Post#585 » by Rick Rolled » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:51 am

silent1900 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:
silent1900 wrote:

Nicholson
O'Quinn
Oladipo
Osby
Gordon
Payton via Saric
Marble
Hezonja
Harvey

Nicholson...drafted 19 or 21, I think? No chance he brings us that value back in trade...easy fail.
O'Quinn...drafted top half of 2nd? Failed to carve out a meaningful role on a terrible team, lost job to Dedmon. if you want to call him a push, I won't fight you on it.
Oladipo...drafted 2nd overall. Not a team in this league would consider giving up a #2 pick for him right now, and likely not in the future without a very improbable leap in development. Fine player, mind you, but not approaching the value of a #2 pick.
Osby...Fail.
Gordon...jury is still out, obviously, but as it stands now there is no way he would fetch us a #4 pick
Payton...love the kid, great pick. Just would have been nice to not get extorted for him.
Marble...meh

So you're saying that they only live up to their draft position if they could be moved for a future pick at that draft slot.

By that logic, looking at draft picks since 2000 at each of our lottery positions under Hennigan.... 2/4/(we'll say 10 for Payton).....let's see how many players are worth their position (would be traded for that pick in an upcoming draft)

#2 Starting with 2013
Oladipo - No
Kidd-Gilchrist - No
Derrick Williams - No
Evan Turner - No
Hasheem Thabeet - No
Michael Beasley - No
Kevin Durant - Yes
LaMarcus Aldridge - Yes
Marvin Williams - No
Emeka Okafor - No
Darko Milicic - No
Jay Williams - No
Tyson Chandler - No
Stromile Swift - No

Verdict - 2 out of 14

#4 Starting with 2014
Aaron Gordon - No
Cody Zeller - No
Dion Waiters - No
Tristan Thompson - No
Wes Johnson - No
Tyreke Evans - No
Russell Westbrook - Yes
Mike Conley - I'll lean towards yes.
Tyrus Thomas - No
Chris Paul - Yes
Shaun Livingston - No
Chris Bosh - Yes
Drew Gooden - No
Eddy Curry - No
Marcus Fizer - No

Verdict 4 out of 15

#10 Starting with 2014
Elfrid Payton - I'll lean towards yes
Cj McCollum - No
Austin Rivers - No
Jimmer Fredette - No
Paul George - Yes
Brandon Jennings - No
Brook Lopez - Probably a yes
Spencer Hawes - No
Saer Sene - No
Andrew Bynum - Yes (in his prime)
Luke Jackson - No
Jarvis Hayes - No
Caron Butler - Yes (in his prime)
Joe Johnson - Yes (in his prime)
Keyon Dooling - No

The Verdict - 6 out of 15

Total - 12 picks out of 44 were worth their position.

By your standards, teams have had a 27% success rate when picking 2nd/4th/10th since 2000.

Henny is 1 for 3. Good enough for a 33% success rate. He's above average!!!!
ClashCityRocker
Sixth Man
And1: 76

Post#586 » by ClashCityRocker » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:01 am

The only reason I think his job is on the line is because of the impatient nature of pro sports. I'm a fan of what Rob Hennigan is doing and I hope he gets at least another beyond this year to build what i believe is a solid contender for years to come.
Nobody can argue the merits of our scouting since Rob has come on board and nothing I've seen* has shown me that we need to go in another direction any time soon.

*coaching hires notwithstanding
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,713

Post#587 » by thelead » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:04 am

silent1900 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:
silent1900 wrote:

Nicholson
O'Quinn
Oladipo
Osby
Gordon
Payton via Saric
Marble
Hezonja
Harvey

Osby...Fail.
Marble...meh

You know, you have to consider the talent in each draft. It's not like he's passed up the next LeBron/Durant/ADavis....
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,630

Post#588 » by SOUL » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:04 am

That way of judging prospects is faulty as well since some drafts are better or worse than others. And player value can swing in a heartbeat. People were going crazy over Tyreke his first season.
Rick Rolled
General Manager

Post#589 » by Rick Rolled » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:07 am

SOUL wrote:That way of judging prospects is faulty as well since some drafts are better or worse than others. And player value can swing in a heartbeat. People were going crazy over Tyreke his first season.

Yup, there's way too many variables to consider.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#590 » by BadWolf » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:19 am

my take

Nicholson - bad pick, but late in first
O'Quinn - finidng a contibutor in 2nd round is always good
Oladipo - i don't like him all that much, but filled a need, the draft was week and he's a solid player, top 5 from that draft. in retrospect should went Noel. Giannis and Gobert weren't even in discussion.
Osby - miss in 2nd, nothingto see here
Gordon - tbd
Payton via Saric - tbd, a fleece, but got his man. Whether he'll develop into a starter (for a good team) will determine the value of that trade
Marble - 2nd round,played some in nba, which is ok
Hezonja - tbd
Harvey - tbd

solid, no major misses, but need a uy to develop into a home run to be a good drafter
407Junkie
Starter
And1: 603

Post#591 » by 407Junkie » Thu Jul 2, 2015 6:54 am

Should've taken WCS over that euro. This gm dude is gonna get fired within the next two years and that's cool with me. Giving credit for having a meeting with a free agent while offering max and striking out is absurd. Otis Smith used to pull the same tactics by offering max money and dumb contracts to any and everybody. If we sit back and just return Harris to the team we're not making the playoffs. And for a team that was trying to reach the tournament since last year that ain't good.
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#592 » by Idunkonyou2 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 8:14 am

At least he is going for the right player. We need a PF more than anything IMO. Also those who are hating on Oladipo, please STFU. He was the best player in a weak sauce draft, unless you can find another player from that draft that averaged better than 18/4/4/2 last season.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#593 » by drsd » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:41 am

TreasureCoast wrote:How can he turn down an extra year and $21 million???

It seems very unlikely to me that Millsap would command a new max deal at 33 years old. But if he did, he would get North of 30M in that first season in the new TV deal.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#594 » by tiderulz » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:23 am

silent1900 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:
silent1900 wrote:

Nicholson
O'Quinn
Oladipo
Osby
Gordon
Payton via Saric
Marble
Hezonja
Harvey

Osby...Fail.
Marble...meh

you call Osby, Marble and OQuinn fails, but how many 2nd round picks actually make teams or have big roles? 5%? And OQuinn was great last year. I think his game regressed because someone (FO or coach) tried to turn him into a stretch 4, instead of letting him play to his strengths. I bet he looks different under Skiles if he comes back. If Skiles can turn LArry Sanders into a DPOY candidate, he can make OQuinn a solid player.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#595 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:53 am

407Junkie wrote:Should've taken WCS over that euro. This gm dude is gonna get fired within the next two years and that's cool with me. Giving credit for having a meeting with a free agent while offering max and striking out is absurd. Otis Smith used to pull the same tactics by offering max money and dumb contracts to any and everybody. If we sit back and just return Harris to the team we're not making the playoffs. And for a team that was trying to reach the tournament since last year that ain't good.

You should take the Kings picking Willie as a sign that we did the right thing by passing.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#596 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:55 am

tiderulz wrote:
silent1900 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:

Nicholson
O'Quinn
Oladipo
Osby
Gordon
Payton via Saric
Marble
Hezonja
Harvey

Osby...Fail.
Marble...meh

you call Osby, Marble and OQuinn fails, but how many 2nd round picks actually make teams or have big roles? 5%? And OQuinn was great last year. I think his game regressed because someone (FO or coach) tried to turn him into a stretch 4, instead of letting him play to his strengths. I bet he looks different under Skiles if he comes back. If Skiles can turn LArry Sanders into a DPOY candidate, he can make OQuinn a solid player.

I will definitely ride with coaching shortcomings....I was excited by Vaughn and hoping that he bring that Spurs mentality, etc to the team.... but he misused player after player AFTER PLAYER... I'm going to reserve judgement until i see how things go under Scott Skiles. Watching him in with Milwaukee and Chicago... he knows how to Milk the talent out of player...except for Tobias at the time. haha.

yup... made Larry Sanders look like a damn star in the making... he got a huge contract.... Skiles got fired.... annnnnnnnnnd where is he now.

Not every player bursts onto the scene guns blazing. Oladipo is doing a solid job transitioning from a defender with a developing offense in college and is continuing to do the same this year. These are all a bunch of kids turning into men... and If you can't see the potential of Payton and Gordon.... I'm pretty sure that "1 for 6" would change in the next couple years.

I wanted Noel, and a trade down to pick both Giannis and Gobert... but I'm still happy with Dipo because I can always see a fighter that's getting better. Give him a couple of calls because he was deserving of them... and you will see a player that takes less threes (more efficient ones), better shooting percentages and higher point totals. easily breaking that 20/4/4/2 mark which would have placed him in a higher liking in peoples books.

Nicholsen... if he turns into a decent role player.... you can't be mad at that for someone picked at 21. he has his skills.... can score in more ways than most power forwards ever will in their careers... just missing awareness on the defensive end of the court. put him on a team with a great backup center and he would be a solid offensive option in the second unit (marriese speights type of player). But inconsistent and sporadic playing time can yield inconsistent and sporadic performances. Cuz i have definitely seen games where nicholsen has put up more point than minutes played.

Anything good that you can pull out of the second round pick.... more power to you. Osby was not to shabby for a player take in the 50's...Harvey was take at a similar position and how can you argue taking the countries leading scorer... especially someone that does it at a highly efficient level.

Oquinn was a rotational player... till Vaugn messed that ish up. a tough player that defended, scored in spurts and helped fascilitate an offense. People were looking at him as a possible starter.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these players are given a second chance.

SMH to someone that can judge everything sooooo quickly. The draft is a huge gamble on its own... sometimes you win.... sometimes you lose but in my book... Hennigan has done a great job and that's why people say stuff like "In henny we trust"
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,260

Post#597 » by eyriq » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:10 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/gm-ratings

Goodman's NBA Draft Rating System:

Elite (examples: Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant)
1-3 - 7.5 points
4-8 - 8 points
9-14 - 8.5 points
15-20 - 9 points
21-30 - 10 points
Second - 10 points

Perennial All-Star (Paul Pierce, Dirk, Chris Paul, Garnett)
1-3 - 7 points
4-8 - 7.5 points
9-14 - 8 points
15-20 - 8.5 points
21-30 - 9 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 9.5 points
Second - 10 points

Occasional All-Star (Joe Johnson, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Devin Harris)
1-3 - 5 points
4-8 - 6 points
9-14 - 7 points
15-20 - 7.5 points
21-30 - 8 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 8.5 points
Second - 9 points

Solid starter (Arron Afflalo, Tyreke Evans, Luke Ridnour, Raymond Felton)
1-3 - 2.5 points
4-8 - 3.5 points
9-14 - 4.5 points
15-20 - 5.5 points
21-30 - 6 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 6.5 points
Second - 7 points

Quality reserve (C.J. Miles, Michael Beasley, Taj Gibson, Thaddeus Young)
1-3 - minus-1 points
4-8 - 1.5 points
9-14 - 3 points
15-20 - 4 points
21-30 - 5 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 6 points
Second - 6.5 points

Rotation player (Ronny Turiaf, Patrick Patterson, Ryan Gomes)
1-3 - minus-3 points
4-8 - minus-1 points
9-14 - 0 points
15-20 - 1.5 points
21-30 - 2.5 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 3.5 points
Second - 4.5 points

Bench player (A.J. Price, Jon Brockman, Luke Harangody)
1-3 - minus-5 points
4-8 - minus-4 points
9-14 - minus-3 points
15-20 - minus-1 points
21-30 - 1 points
Early 2nd (31-40) - 2.5 points
Second - 3.5 points

Overseas/Out of league (Joe Alexander, Alexis Ajinca, Morris Almond)
1-3 - Minus-7.5 points
4-8 - Minus-6.5 points
9-14 - Minus-5 points
15-20 - Minus-4 points
21-30 - Minus-3 points
Early Second (31-35) - minus-1 points
Second - 0 points
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#598 » by CraZyPraiZ » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:07 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:
silent1900 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:

Nicholson
O'Quinn
Oladipo
Osby
Gordon
Payton via Saric
Marble
Hezonja
Harvey

Osby...Fail.
Marble...meh

So you're saying that they only live up to their draft position if they could be moved for a future pick at that draft slot.

By that logic, looking at draft picks since 2000 at each of our lottery positions under Hennigan.... 2/4/(we'll say 10 for Payton).....let's see how many players are worth their position (would be traded for that pick in an upcoming draft)

#2 Starting with 2013
Oladipo - No
Kidd-Gilchrist - No
Derrick Williams - No
Evan Turner - No
Hasheem Thabeet - No
Michael Beasley - No
Kevin Durant - Yes
LaMarcus Aldridge - Yes
Marvin Williams - No
Emeka Okafor - No
Darko Milicic - No
Jay Williams - No
Tyson Chandler - No
Stromile Swift - No

Verdict - 2 out of 14

#4 Starting with 2014
Aaron Gordon - No
Cody Zeller - No
Dion Waiters - No
Tristan Thompson - No
Wes Johnson - No
Tyreke Evans - No
Russell Westbrook - Yes
Mike Conley - I'll lean towards yes.
Tyrus Thomas - No
Chris Paul - Yes
Shaun Livingston - No
Chris Bosh - Yes
Drew Gooden - No
Eddy Curry - No
Marcus Fizer - No

Verdict 4 out of 15

#10 Starting with 2014
Elfrid Payton - I'll lean towards yes
Cj McCollum - No
Austin Rivers - No
Jimmer Fredette - No
Paul George - Yes
Brandon Jennings - No
Brook Lopez - Probably a yes
Spencer Hawes - No
Saer Sene - No
Andrew Bynum - Yes (in his prime)
Luke Jackson - No
Jarvis Hayes - No
Caron Butler - Yes (in his prime)
Joe Johnson - Yes (in his prime)
Keyon Dooling - No

The Verdict - 6 out of 15

Total - 12 picks out of 44 were worth their position.

By your standards, teams have had a 27% success rate when picking 2nd/4th/10th since 2000.

Henny is 1 for 3. Good enough for a 33% success rate. He's above average!!!!

You can't bother with these people. He lost me when he says Peyton wasn't worth it cause we got extorted. Yeah we'll see how those Philly picks pan out. Philly won't be relevant in our life time.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,219

Post#599 » by J-Mezzy » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:16 pm

I am happy with Henny. Draft is always a tricky game, but we've gotten some quality players despite having bad luck in the lotteries. It's hard to win with a young team and hard to sign FA now, they all want to win right away.

So with Milsap off the table, where do we turn now?
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#600 » by NickAnderson » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:43 pm

I sometimes wonder how some of you are even fans, complaining so much

Return to Orlando Magic