ImageImageImageImage

Post-draft / FA poll: will Orlando win 41+ games?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Will the Magic win 41+ wins

Yes: the roster will gel and Coach Skiles will direct a huge improvement (41 and over option)
52%
No: the roster is fundamentally flawed and cannot be coached to a winning way (40 and under option)
48%

Total votes: 61

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#1 » by drsd » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:27 am

The predraft poll was almost 2-1 in favor of Orlando being a winning team this year:
Realgm LINK

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:Ask this question after the draft and free agency.

With the draft and FA periods complete, the Magic's depth chart looks somethig like:
Payton/Watson/Summer-Leaguer
Oladipo/Fournier/Marble
Harris/Hezonja/Harkless
Gordon/Frye/Nicholson
Vučević/Smith/Dedmon

To quote me:
There seems to be enthusiasm that the Magic is improving. Will that improvement equal wins. Do you think the Magic will win more games than they lose this year (or at least go 41-41)?

Frankly this roster looks better and more balanced than last years. And with individual player development coupled to increased coaching, the roster looks a lot like a playoff team to me.

Baka_La Flame
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Re: Post-draft / FA poll: will Orlando win 41+ games? 

Post#2 » by Baka_La Flame » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:59 am

Nope. I'm thinking 32-36
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,265

Post#3 » by eyriq » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:00 am

Smith ahead of Dedmon? Besides that detail we look like a .500 team to me!
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#4 » by j-ragg » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:48 am

Sadly I doubt it. I'd love to be wrong though.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#5 » by SportsGuy8 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:51 am

It's extremely hard to predict where your team will end the season. So many variables with this young team, can probably end up anywhere from low 30s to even high 40s (remember, this is the East).

Either way, your team really looks like Warriors East, with a different style of play and type of players, obv. In a couple of years you could challenge Cavs, along with Bucks.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#6 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:57 am

Didn't vote, don't like the description for option B. I think we won't quite win 40 games, I'm thinking somewhere between 34-38 wins.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#7 » by shadrock » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:02 pm

Just have yes or no as options for the poll. I dont think we will win 41 this season but still think the description for that option was way off.
NBAchamps2017
Pro Prospect
And1: 336

Post#8 » by NBAchamps2017 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:30 pm

NO. No significant roster upgrade. Team's still a doughnut. When Jason Smith scored 20 and 25 points on you, something is wrong. Bench is still flimsy. Forward-Center position is still skinny.

Needs: Bench (super six man). PF who weighs 250+lbs. Consistency. Turnover must be addressed priority one. Go to guy.

Prediction: 30-33 wins with the current roster.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#9 » by Jiwol » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:46 pm

No, but I'm definitely more optimistic than the poll description or the whiner above. We have very versatile roster which is improved indeed. Athletic scorer form the bench in Hezonja plus very competent back-up PG is what we lacked. And I don't even wanna mention Skiles-effect again. He improved every team he coached. I'm thinking 35-40.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#10 » by darthcheech2000 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:00 pm

You have managed to pigeonhole a yes or no question even further with the black and white descriptions.

I think most fans do not think we will win 41 games next season and believe we're on the right track.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
MrShow
Pro Prospect
And1: 419

Post#11 » by MrShow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:07 pm

43 games!
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#12 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:46 pm

I say no but it isn't because "the roster is fundamentally flawed"...I just think a leap from where we are now to a +.500 team is something that will take two years, not one.

It is pretty fair to say we won't be better than...
Cleveland
Atlanta
Toronto
Washington
Miami
Chicago

Then there are teams that were better than us last year and will likely improve at a faster pace...
Detroit
Milwaukee
Boston
Indiana

Then there are teams that fell off a bit...basically putting them right there with us in the East...
Brooklyn
Charlotte
New York

...and then Philly, who should remain the worst in the East.

So 6 teams that I would say will 100% be ahead of us, barring season derailing injuries. Another 4 that have a great shot at being ahead of us.

Say 2 of the 6 certainties have season derailing injuries, leaving 4 ahead of us. Only 2 of Det, Mil, Bos, & Ind finish with a better record than us. That still leaves us at 7th in the East. In recent history, that position is teetering right around .500.

For that reason, I would say that this team's ABSOLUTE ceiling...the complete best case scenario...is 41 wins. That is if everything goes right for us this year. You have to vote under .500 on this one.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#13 » by Def Swami » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:53 pm

42 wins

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,926

Post#14 » by drsd » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:03 pm

The poll question is word-for-word identical to the first poll.

My issue is this: either the Magic has a roster to win or it does not. Management, coaching, ad training issues have never been discussed as current issues at hand. So for all NO voters, it is my opinion you are voting against the roster itself.

Thus, " … roster is fundamentally flawed and cannot be coached to a winning … " is a totally reasonable interpretation of your respective NO votes. I respect the vote, but NO means that you do not see the Magic roster as capable of winning. That is the very definition of FLAWED.

I make these points as NOs currently out-weigh YES. What does that mean? It means that, so far, fans see the draft and FA process as a down-grade to the team. Dem's is die Facts.

p.s. to NO voters: Our Magic, in which we Love, will prove the vote wrong. I have ten chocolates bet on this to RealGMers

MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#15 » by MagicMadness » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:26 pm

We are trending in the right direction, but I see 31-36 wins.

We are still very young, and our bench is maybe average at best.

Thus, " … roster is fundamentally flawed and cannot be coached to a winning … " is a totally reasonable interpretation of your respective NO votes. I respect the vote, but NO means that you do not see the Magic roster as capable of winning. That is the very definition of FLAWED.

I'm not sure if youth is considered a fundamental flaw.

Because most of the people voting 'No' are doing so because they know youthful teams have trouble winning in the NBA...

I make these points as NOs currently out-weigh YES. What does that mean? It means that, so far, fans see the draft and FA process as a down-grade to the team. Dem's is die Facts.

Most fans here expect the Magic to be improved this season. Just because we don't realistically expect the team to have a 60% increase in wins doesn't mean we think the team has gotten worse.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#16 » by Devin 1L » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:11 pm

No.

Reason: Youth.

Prediction: 36-38
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#17 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:12 pm

drsd wrote:I make these points as NOs currently out-weigh YES. What does that mean? It means that, so far, fans see the draft and FA process as a down-grade to the team. Dem's is die Facts.

I'm thinking that we'll win 35 games (with a margin of error of 2). That's a considerable up-grade (this would be 10 more games than last season, or 40% increase, which is hardly non-trivial), but still not 40.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#18 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:14 pm

drsd wrote:The poll question is word-for-word identical to the first poll.

My issue is this: either the Magic has a roster to win or it does not. Management, coaching, ad training issues have never been discussed as current issues at hand. So for all NO voters, it is my opinion you are voting against the roster itself.

p.s. to NO voters: Our Magic, in which we Love, will prove the vote wrong. I have ten chocolates bet on this to RealGMers

I voted no and I don't feel that way at all. I see some good improvement on the way when you compare us to last year. Doesn't mean we will be over .500.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#19 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Devin 1L wrote:No.

Edited for stupidity.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#20 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:16 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
Devin 1L wrote:No.

Shortened season?

I think he meant we'd win between 36 and 38 games next season, out of the normal 82.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.

Return to Orlando Magic