ImageImageImageImage

10/3 Game Thread - The Orlando Magic Vs. The Charlotte Horncats

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,719

Re: 10/3 Game Thread - The Orlando Magic Vs. The Charlotte Horncats 

Post#481 » by GameOver25 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 3:30 am

"I rested the starters the 2nd half because I want them ready for practice tomorrow". Lol, poor guys.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,728

Post#482 » by thelead » Sun Oct 4, 2015 3:40 am

Rick Rolled wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:Well, everyone is certainly taking the bad third quarter seriously.

Excellent stuff as always Adam.

It's great to see a disappointed locker room after that 2nd half effort.

They look more disappointed tonight (for a preseason game) than they've looked after any loss the last 2-3 years. They know Skiles isn't F'ing around.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,635

Post#483 » by SOUL » Sun Oct 4, 2015 3:44 am

I wish accountability and being able to play through certain spurts is something Skiles will be able to differentiate. Energy needs to always be there, but I don't want to see our best players being yanked when the other team goes on a run from some tough shots and lucky bounces which is bound to happen.

Let's not forget, Vaughn had a quick yank on certain players too and then rode a below-par bench for way longer than they deserved which lost us games. We have our identifiable best players and need them to be a 9-10 man rotation. Only the Spurs can platoon and play their best players minimal minutes since they have one of the best coaches ever and a system that has worked for a while.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#484 » by Patrick1978 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 3:48 am

Rick Rolled wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:I don't know if it's post traumatic Vaughn syndrome, but I love Skiles so far.....

It's refreshing to hear the coach take a dump on the players when they deserve it.

We're going to be pretty decent this year.

Another year in the bottom of the league

Ok, 10 or so posters have ignored my wager......

I want you to be different Patrick... I want you to be a man.

If the Magic win 38+ games this year, you delete your account, and never post on RealGM again.

If the Magic win less than that, I will do the exact same, throwing 10+ years down the drain.

Please, step up to the plate. Don't be a pussy like all of the others. Back your words up.

Ok i accept.romanian men always stand to their words
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#485 » by Rick Rolled » Sun Oct 4, 2015 3:56 am

Patrick1978 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:Another year in the bottom of the league

If the Magic win 38+ games this year, you delete your account, and never post on RealGM again.

If the Magic win less than that, I will do the exact same, throwing 10+ years down the drain.

Please, step up to the plate. Don't be a pussy like all of the others. Back your words up.

You're a good, honorable man Patrick.

I appreciate anyone who is willing to defend their viewpoint, and you are honestly the first.

I can't wait to see how this plays out.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,728

Post#486 » by thelead » Sun Oct 4, 2015 4:11 am

Rick Rolled wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:

I appreciate anyone who is willing to defend their viewpoint, and you are honestly the first.

I wish you luck Rick but that 38 win mark will be tough... If we lose Dipo, Vuc or Tobes for a significant amount of time, I highly doubt we get there.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Post#487 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Oct 4, 2015 4:13 am

It's just preseason lol.
aka: prorl
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#488 » by Rick Rolled » Sun Oct 4, 2015 4:16 am

thelead wrote:
Rick Rolled wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:

I wish you luck Rick but that 38 win mark will be tough... If we lose Dipo, Vuc or Tobes for a significant amount of time, I highly doubt we get there.

I agree 100%.

But it's a risk I'm willing to take. A 13 win improvement is probably a pipe dream.

If anyone had taken my bets over the past two seasons, I'd be gone.

Being remembered as an overly positive moron is fine by me, I'm glad Patrick is willing to back his words.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#489 » by shadrock » Sun Oct 4, 2015 4:17 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:It's just preseason lol.

Thats not how the coach or team is viewing it, so i disagree. That was about as brutal of a press conference as ive seen from a head coach, he ripped the starters and called out Hezonja for "terrible" defense on his first game. If he was just going through the motions, saying lets get match fitness and not get injured, id agree that "its just preseason", but Skils is saying the opposite.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#490 » by shadrock » Sun Oct 4, 2015 4:21 am

OrlDave wrote:For those concerned, the Magic actually won 4 of 5 preseason games last year (2 then 1 loss, the 2 again). The Clippers lost all but 2. Preseason means nothing. It's just a chance to tinker with lineups and get guys in game shape.

Watch this and then tell me thats the case: http://www.nba.com/magic/video/teams/magic/2015/10/04/1443925022603-skiles3.mp4-40218
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,078

Post#491 » by bigdogdylan5 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 4:32 am

OrlandO wrote:waiting for destin to open a new thread so he can share his thoughts...

Lol good call
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
jgosche
Sixth Man
And1: 866

Post#492 » by jgosche » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:02 am

Missed the game, but going off the box score...

- Looks like the Hornets played their starters longer than we player ours. Lots of minutes for our bench.
- Would be nice to have a win I guess, but in the end it means nothing, especially since we played our backups down the stretch.
- Marble might not make the roster unless he shows some improvement.
- Was really hoping for some improvement from Frye. Not giving up on him, shooters get streaky. Let's just hope his bad streaks are shorter and less frequent this season (if we don't trade him).
- Love to see Nicholson doing some work. His post moves are a thing of beauty.
- Looks like our young core players did well tonight in general. Encouraging to see.

So pumped for this season to start. I'm oddly convinced that we make the playoffs this year.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#493 » by fendilim » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:08 am

Hezonja's defense reminds me of Redick
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#494 » by fendilim » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:09 am

Hezonja's defense reminds me of Redick
magicman112
Head Coach
And1: 1,888

Post#495 » by magicman112 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:34 am

GameOver25 wrote:"I rested the starters the 2nd half because I want them ready for practice tomorrow". Lol, poor guys.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Yep that means get ready to run boys :)
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#496 » by JF5 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:49 am

1. Liked what I saw offensively... Everything clicked well for the team at that end besides them not making the shots.
- Oladipo playing off the ball should be happening more. Its obvious that he's ALOT more effective in an offensive flow than in isolation plays.
- Nicholson might be getting more time than Channing Frye down the line if Frye diminishes the way he has the last year or so. Just seems like he's teetering the bench warmer line at this point.
- Hezonja is going to be pretty good... His confidence and talent are just obvious after that first preseason game. I'm not saying he'll be a star, but he'll definitely considered an All-Star at one point of his career.

2. Defensively COULD'VE better but its understandable... Defensive chemistry and cohesion takes time to build... The basis of it was there and we we that early with Oladipo/Payton reeking havoc in the backcourt.
- Aaron Gordon is definitely going be the starting PF. NO question about it... Channing Frye's ineffective/diminishing play just makes it more apparent that Gordon's slot at this point.
- Rotations were late or they were simply unnecessary (from the players). We see 2 guys rotate to one player or not get there quick enough and let the guys knock it down for 3 or penetrate the lanes.
- Penetration Defense was horrid... 3 guys would focus on the penetration and leave 2 guys open leaving to extra passes and confusion. It does have to do with defensive chemistry. But at the same time you have to be more aware of your teammates positions on the court. And when there are already 2 guys on one you don't leave your man...

Overall, clearly a work in progress... But I'm more optimistic about the team after tonight's game...
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#497 » by Gomagic44 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:35 am

jgosche wrote:Missed the game, but going off the box score...

- Looks like the Hornets played their starters longer than we player ours. Lots of minutes for our bench.
- Would be nice to have a win I guess, but in the end it means nothing, especially since we played our backups down the stretch.
- Marble might not make the roster unless he shows some improvement.
- Was really hoping for some improvement from Frye. Not giving up on him, shooters get streaky. Let's just hope his bad streaks are shorter and less frequent this season (if we don't trade him).
- Love to see Nicholson doing some work. His post moves are a thing of beauty.
- Looks like our young core players did well tonight in general. Encouraging to see.

So pumped for this season to start. I'm oddly convinced that we make the playoffs this year.

Stats be damned, he's been on a bad streak since we signed him. I hope his good streak is 4x longer.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#498 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:37 am

This forum never let's me down with it's kneejerk reaction.

1st pre-season game and people are making judgements on players and the team :noway:

Skiles throwing Mario under the bus for his defense unprovoked is exactly why I don't like him, keep that in house he doesn't need to be ripping players publicly :crazy:
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#499 » by Gomagic44 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:39 am

You two betting gives me such a sports boner, that I have trouble watching this UFC card. Good luck men. Props to you both. I have my faith in over 38. Our bar has been set so low that it seems like a huge jump, but mediocrity isn't too high a point. Let's go Rick roll!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#500 » by npiper17 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:36 am

Well I guess I'll need to make time to listen to the post game pressers again. Although it may come back to bite him, listening to Skiles reminds me what it's like to have a coach who at minimum can analyse a game properly as opposed to Jacque Vaughn's platitude-filled ramblings about 'growing into men.'

Return to Orlando Magic