ImageImageImageImage

What 1 thing is missing from this team?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Re: What 1 thing is missing from this team? 

Post#61 » by ezzzp » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:55 pm

SD2042 wrote:
drsd wrote:
SD2042 wrote:I say take a swing for KD in the offseason.

I am confident all 30 teams will call Durant's agent and say, "A Max deal is offered, does your client want a visit?"

I sense some exaggeration on your part. Not all 30 teams will be able to talk to Durant about a max deal. Some teams will be to confined due to cap space concerns. Teams I feel are legit enough to be in position to make a trade deal or at least create a max deal to talk to KD. Profiling is based on teams with assets and enough cap space to take on a max deal and best personnel to surround KD with best winning chances.

Boston-trade deal
Charlotte-cap space
L.A. Lakers-cap space
Milwaukee-trade deal
OKC- first dibs/KDs' first team
Orlando-trade deal
Washington-cap space

League executives are estimating that the salary cap will be at least $95m this summer - up from $89m, the preseason official NBA estimate arrived at prior to signing the massive deals with Nike Apparel and FanDuel. Even at the early most conservative estimate, that means that every team suddenly has $19m more in cap space.

Here is a list of cap space using the early $89m estimate. This amount includes qualifying offer amounts for restricted players and prior to any players choosing to opt out of contracts. For example, with Houston - if Dwight Howard opts out that clears another $23m. Free agent cap holds alter the cap space amount, but those are team options - so if a team needs that cap hold space to sign Durant, they can just renounce their rights to the free agent player with the cap hold in the way.

Spoiler:

Here is a breakdown of contract amount options to sign Durant:
Spoiler:

Not only does Durant have an excellent young roster (including a top 5 player) but he also stands to make more money in OKC. So for him to leave OKC, the situation has to be incredibly enticing...such as a major city where his lifestyle would be unlike what he has now in OKC (this is not Orlando); the roster he'd be joining would be experienced enough to be ready to compete now and be young enough to compete for the next 4-5 years (this is also not Orlando); or he would have some intangible deep personal connection to the city (this is also not Orlando).
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#62 » by drsd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:50 pm

SD2042 wrote:I sense some exaggeration on your part. Not all 30 teams will be able to talk to Durant about a max deal.

Nope. Every team.

My view is this: for Durant, every team in the league would find a way to make cap space. All of them.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#63 » by drsd » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:11 pm

ezzzp wrote:Not only does Durant have an excellent young roster (including a top 5 player) but he also stands to make more money in OKC. So for him to leave OKC, the situation has to be incredibly enticing...such as a major city where his lifestyle would be unlike what he has now in OKC (this is not Orlando); the roster he'd be joining would be experienced enough to be ready to compete now and be young enough to compete for the next 4-5 years (this is also not Orlando); or he would have some intangible deep personal connection to the city (this is also not Orlando).

I am totally on board with you post. To comment on the just above, Boston LAL, NYKs, the Bulls, and Washington are to me the only teams that have any chance of prying Durant from OKC. In the end, I would call the Lakers the only real threat. D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle and two other Max players to go with Durant. LAL is an instant winner and Durant starts his Hollywood career.
ButchMcRae
Junior
And1: 167

Post#64 » by ButchMcRae » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Durant is already playing in a Small Market. If he moves to another smaller market team it only makes sense for him to go back home to DC. Other then That it doesnt matter where he goes the money will be there for him so he's going to go towards a situation and that's a big if he leaves OKC but a situation that puts him in the best situation to win and contend for a championship. Only team I can see him going to that doesn't have a winning situation would be LA but joining the east and contending in a weaker conferences would just make so much more sense for KD. I'm putting my money on the Wizards.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#65 » by SD2042 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:45 am

drsd wrote:
SD2042 wrote:I sense some exaggeration on your part. Not all 30 teams will be able to talk to Durant about a max deal.

Nope. Every team.

My view is this: for Durant, every team in the league would find a way to make cap space. All of them.

I get what you're saying, but just b/c most if not all teams will seek to acquire more cap space to go after Durant doesn't guarantee you will get KD. Can Brooklyn in spite of cap space and being in a large market is enough to attract KD to the roster? We all know the answer to that.

OMRU32 wrote:Durant is already playing in a Small Market. If he moves to another smaller market team it only makes sense for him to go back home to DC. Other then That it doesnt matter where he goes the money will be there for him so he's going to go towards a situation and that's a big if he leaves OKC but a situation that puts him in the best situation to win and contend for a championship. Only team I can see him going to that doesn't have a winning situation would be LA but joining the east and contending in a weaker conferences would just make so much more sense for KD. I'm putting my money on the Wizards.

As for the Wizards, I have my doubts, the Wizards aren't historically known for their defensive sets to go along with their offensive sets, even if they add KD to the mix. How much cap will they have left over to sign players when they have to address their depth come this offseason if KD were to go to the Wizards?
ButchMcRae
Junior
And1: 167

Post#66 » by ButchMcRae » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:51 am

OMRU32 wrote:Durant is already playing in a Small Market. If he moves to another smaller market team it only makes sense for him to go back home to DC. Other then That it doesnt matter where he goes the money will be there for him so he's going to go towards a situation and that's a big if he leaves OKC but a situation that puts him in the best situation to win and contend for a championship. Only team I can see him going to that doesn't have a winning situation would be LA but joining the east and contending in a weaker conferences would just make so much more sense for KD. I'm putting my money on the Wizards.

As for the Wizards, I have my doubts, the Wizards aren't historically known for their defensive sets to go along with their offensive sets, even if they add KD to the mix. How much cap will they have left over to sign players when they have to address their depth come this offseason if KD were to go to the Wizards?[/quote]

I asked myself that same question when Miami acquired their Big 3. Vet Minimum, ring chasers etc a team would make it work and make it happen.

Return to Orlando Magic