ImageImageImageImage

Plan Your Orlando Magic 2016 Offseason

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

AshBlackstone
Senior
And1: 221

Re: Plan Your Orlando Magic 2016 Offseason 

Post#201 » by AshBlackstone » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:32 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
AshBlackstone wrote:I can't understand why anyone in this thread is ready to open up the check book, and spend $20-$30 million a year on Chandler Parsons, Al Horford, Mike Conley, or Nicolas Batum.

These are not stars. They are role players. Spending large chunks of cap space on role players is how you end up 46-36 every year, and never contending. As a rebuilding team, if you're not landing elite players in free agency, you're better off holding on to your money.

Signing any of those guys is the kind of move you make to put your team over the top, when you're already a contender.

You are underrating those guys quite a bit, those are all-star/near all-star level players. If we were to not pay anybody because they weren't "elite", we'd never get better as fast as we'd like. Orlando is not a major destination team, if we need to improve via free agency we have to pay for the best attainable talent. Some of you have caviar taste for free agents, but don't realize we have canned tuna free agent appeal. The best philosophy we can have in free agency is to gladly accept the doubles and singles that we can actually make instead of fruitlessly praying for home runs.

I would argue that the Orlando Magic rank in the top 5 in the league among NBA franchises, when it comes to signing big names in free agency in the 21st century. I never understand the "no free agency appeal" tag.

We've lured more in their prime free agents to Orlando for long term deals than the Los Angeles Lakers in the 21st century. That is a complete and total fact.
Mule Tears
Starter
And1: 216

Post#202 » by Mule Tears » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:10 pm

AshBlackstone wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:
AshBlackstone wrote:I can't understand why anyone in this thread is ready to open up the check book, and spend $20-$30 million a year on Chandler Parsons, Al Horford, Mike Conley, or Nicolas Batum.

These are not stars. They are role players. Spending large chunks of cap space on role players is how you end up 46-36 every year, and never contending. As a rebuilding team, if you're not landing elite players in free agency, you're better off holding on to your money.

Signing any of those guys is the kind of move you make to put your team over the top, when you're already a contender.

You are underrating those guys quite a bit, those are all-star/near all-star level players. If we were to not pay anybody because they weren't "elite", we'd never get better as fast as we'd like. Orlando is not a major destination team, if we need to improve via free agency we have to pay for the best attainable talent. Some of you have caviar taste for free agents, but don't realize we have canned tuna free agent appeal. The best philosophy we can have in free agency is to gladly accept the doubles and singles that we can actually make instead of fruitlessly praying for home runs.

I would argue that the Orlando Magic rank in the top 5 in the league among NBA franchises, when it comes to signing big names in free agency in the 21st century. I never understand the "no free agency appeal" tag.

We've lured more in their prime free agents to Orlando for long term deals than the Los Angeles Lakers in the 21st century. That is a complete and total fact.

?????? :banghead:

Curious to see how you back up this claim
The Future Has Arrived: Paolo Banchero is coming to Orlando!
WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,430

Post#203 » by WillyJakkz » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:12 pm

Whoever called $20+M on Harrison Barnes may be right considering the horrid contracts being offered so I definitely wouldn't want Barnes for that price... Crazy...
AshBlackstone
Senior
And1: 221

Post#204 » by AshBlackstone » Sat Jul 2, 2016 1:33 am

Mule Tears wrote:
AshBlackstone wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:You are underrating those guys quite a bit, those are all-star/near all-star level players. If we were to not pay anybody because they weren't "elite", we'd never get better as fast as we'd like. Orlando is not a major destination team, if we need to improve via free agency we have to pay for the best attainable talent. Some of you have caviar taste for free agents, but don't realize we have canned tuna free agent appeal. The best philosophy we can have in free agency is to gladly accept the doubles and singles that we can actually make instead of fruitlessly praying for home runs.

?????? :banghead:

Curious to see how you back up this claim

The Magic have nabbed Grant Hilll, Tracy McGrady, and Rashard Lewis in free agency this century. The Lakers have not grabbed one player at that level in free agency. since the turn of the century. They couldn't even retain Dwight Howard after dealing for him in his contract year.

Return to Orlando Magic