ImageImageImageImage

Mooooove Pat, get out the way....Hennigan to rep Magic at Lottery

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Landshark
Senior
And1: 360

Re: Mooooove Pat, get out the way....Hennigan to rep Magic at Lottery 

Post#21 » by Landshark » Thu May 5, 2016 6:51 am

SOUL wrote:I sort of wish we lost a few of those games at the end. I vehemently disagree that those extra 3 or so wins really help for anything in the future, especially if a team changes a lot the next year.

On the other hand, I was happy to see the team dig out some wins and start to gel together -- at the same time, if there's an 8 or 9 seed that moves to #1 like the Cavs did a few years ago I'll be PISSED. Haha.

Also, if a player who turns out like Damian Lillard, Andre Drummond, Paul George, etc. gets picked in the 7-10 range, I'll be pissed.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#22 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 5, 2016 12:28 pm

Landshark wrote:
SOUL wrote:I sort of wish we lost a few of those games at the end. I vehemently disagree that those extra 3 or so wins really help for anything in the future, especially if a team changes a lot the next year.

On the other hand, I was happy to see the team dig out some wins and start to gel together -- at the same time, if there's an 8 or 9 seed that moves to #1 like the Cavs did a few years ago I'll be PISSED. Haha.

Also, if a player who turns out like Damian Lillard, Andre Drummond, Paul George, etc. gets picked in the 7-10 range, I'll be pissed.

Stephen Curry was taken with the 7th pick, Klay Thompson 11th and Draymond Green 35th. As if Star players are only drafted in the top 5.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#23 » by OrlandO » Thu May 5, 2016 2:24 pm

Well it was 6 wins near the end... if we wanted to tank we probably could and would have lost more than 3 of those. I think the extra wins are more for the players than the fans. Fans can look to the lottery when a season goes sour... players don't do that. It was a tough season for them, but they can say ok, we won 10 more games than last season... we improved at a larger rate than the previous seasons and we're almost where we need to be. It sounds cliche, but I think it's something for them to build on. The 8th seed needed 44 wins this season... that sounds a lot more doable for a team coming off a 35 win season than a 30 win season.

I don't think I'd be happier with giving up the run to close the season for better draft positioning. Not this time. January was devastating and the trend wasn't improving in late March... felt pretty hopeless for next season and I think that would have only been magnified if we continued to go on a losing spree.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#24 » by drsd » Thu May 5, 2016 6:22 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:# 1 pick here we come!

Orlando trades down to #3 (Celts; have Nets pick), gain an asset and a future first, and draft Dragan Bender.

Sounds good to me!

Landshark
Senior

Post#25 » by Landshark » Thu May 5, 2016 8:19 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Landshark wrote:

Stephen Curry was taken with the 7th pick, Klay Thompson 11th and Draymond Green 35th. As if Star players are only drafted in the top 5.

What does that have to do with my post? I know stars get drafted outside of the Top 5; my entire post was about stars who were drafted in the 7-10 range. Lillard was 7th, Drummond was 9th, PG was 10th, and although I didn't mention him, yes, Curry was 7th. Historically, there are a decent number of stars drafted in the 7-10 range. If that happens this year, I'll be pissed because a small difference in record will have cost us a pick to draft a star. If a star drops out of the Top 10, like Draymond, Klay, Giannis, Butler, Kawhi, etc., and we draft him, then I'll be really excited. Simple as that.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#26 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu May 5, 2016 8:36 pm

Landshark wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Landshark wrote:Also, if a player who turns out like Damian Lillard, Andre Drummond, Paul George, etc. gets picked in the 7-10 range, I'll be pissed.

What does that have to do with my post? I know stars get drafted outside of the Top 5; my entire post was about stars who were drafted in the 7-10 range. Lillard was 7th, Drummond was 9th, PG was 10th, and although I didn't mention him, yes, Curry was 7th. Historically, there are a decent number of stars drafted in the 7-10 range. If that happens this year, I'll be pissed because a small difference in record will have cost us a pick to draft a star. If a star drops out of the Top 10, like Draymond, Klay, Giannis, Butler, Kawhi, etc., and we draft him, then I'll be really excited. Simple as that.

The players wanted to win those games more than the GM. I would worry more about Team Chemistry and building a winning atmosphere over fans dreams of drafting 9th over 11th. As if that makes any difference? If there is a player at 9th Henny wants, Henny WILL move up. He did for Payton.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Landshark
Senior

Post#27 » by Landshark » Thu May 5, 2016 8:41 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Landshark wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

I am just saying a really good GM will find the potential star player and trade up for them if they find them. A Smart GM won't make his team lose just so he can move up one or two spots when they are already in the middle of the draft positioning.

Besides, the players wanted to win those games more than the GM. I would worry more about Team Chemistry and building a winning atmosphere over fans dreams of drafting 9th over 11th. As if that makes any difference? If there is a player at 9th Henny wants, move up.

I wasn't trying to imply that Hennigan should've done something differently to change the outcome, just that the way things turned out might potentially be unfortunate. I agree, we'd be a laughingstock if Hennigan straight up told players to throw games.

Moving up isn't always easy. Hennigan wanted Porzingis but couldn't move up 1 spot to get him.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,630

Post#28 » by SOUL » Thu May 5, 2016 8:47 pm

OrlandO wrote:Well it was 6 wins near the end... if we wanted to tank we probably could and would have lost more than 3 of those. I think the extra wins are more for the players than the fans. Fans can look to the lottery when a season goes sour... players don't do that. It was a tough season for them, but they can say ok, we won 10 more games than last season... we improved at a larger rate than the previous seasons and we're almost where we need to be. It sounds cliche, but I think it's something for them to build on. The 8th seed needed 44 wins this season... that sounds a lot more doable for a team coming off a 35 win season than a 30 win season.

I don't think I'd be happier with giving up the run to close the season for better draft positioning. Not this time. January was devastating and the trend wasn't improving in late March... felt pretty hopeless for next season and I think that would have only been magnified if we continued to go on a losing spree.

No, I totally understand from the players perspective and like I said I was happy to see them be rewarded for putting in the work. I'm just challenging the thought of it "washing away the stink" or it makes us "turn the corner" -- when in reality, the end of the season is when a lot of teams are looking forward to the summer. I don't think it has any sort of bearing on free agency or how the team will do next year.

I read a lot of forums on here and 99% of the time a team starts winning at the end, the fanbase is pretty annoyed after the draft because they look at the draft and who they could've got if they didn't win (x) amount of games at the end.

I don't think it's that huge of a deal this draft because I think we will either trade the pick or pick from about 5 candidates around that range, but if we had more on the line I don't understand the argument. From the players perspective, absolutely. But from the fans perspective it's hard for me to understand people trying to correlate "end of the season winning culture" to anything in the future.

I mean, hell on these forums alone when we made the playoffs I've heard people skeptical of us winning too much at the end of the season before the playoffs or even losing too much before the playoffs, and both times people justify it and give the reason why it's good or not. It's really just a game by game basis.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#29 » by Nemesis21 » Thu May 5, 2016 9:08 pm

drsd wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:# 1 pick here we come!

Orlando trades down to #3 (Celts; have Nets pick), gain an asset and a future first, and draft Dragan Bender.

Sounds good to me!

No way, do not draft a Euro draft & stash with a lottery pick. Don't want Fran situation 2.0 :banghead:
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#30 » by OrlandO » Fri May 6, 2016 3:38 am

SOUL wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Well it was 6 wins near the end... if we wanted to tank we probably could and would have lost more than 3 of those. I think the extra wins are more for the players than the fans. Fans can look to the lottery when a season goes sour... players don't do that. It was a tough season for them, but they can say ok, we won 10 more games than last season... we improved at a larger rate than the previous seasons and we're almost where we need to be. It sounds cliche, but I think it's something for them to build on. The 8th seed needed 44 wins this season... that sounds a lot more doable for a team coming off a 35 win season than a 30 win season.

No, I totally understand from the players perspective and like I said I was happy to see them be rewarded for putting in the work. I'm just challenging the thought of it "washing away the stink" or it makes us "turn the corner" -- when in reality, the end of the season is when a lot of teams are looking forward to the summer. I don't think it has any sort of bearing on free agency or how the team will do next year.

I read a lot of forums on here and 99% of the time a team starts winning at the end, the fanbase is pretty annoyed after the draft because they look at the draft and who they could've got if they didn't win (x) amount of games at the end.

I don't think it's that huge of a deal this draft because I think we will either trade the pick or pick from about 5 candidates around that range, but if we had more on the line I don't understand the argument. From the players perspective, absolutely. But from the fans perspective it's hard for me to understand people trying to correlate "end of the season winning culture" to anything in the future.

I mean, hell on these forums alone when we made the playoffs I've heard people skeptical of us winning too much at the end of the season before the playoffs or even losing too much before the playoffs, and both times people justify it and give the reason why it's good or not. It's really just a game by game basis.

I disagree that it can't have an impact on free agency or team performance at all next year.

I think most free agents would value the extra wins more than moving up in the draft in the range we're talking about. Might not add much more value, but it's still something to strengthen the sales pitch... every bit counts in our case. Who knows, maybe Millsap would have signed with us last summer if we were a 35-win team?

Falling too far below expectations can also lead to changes in staff or the roster that otherwise wouldn't happen - stuff that can alter a team's future. Change is fine and it can even be great, but I don't think too many here want us making decisions out of desperation. A 30 win season could have got henny fired... or Elfrid or another young prospect prematurely traded.

And I do think continuing to promote a losing culture through tanking year after year can have a negative impact on player/team chemistry, and thus performance, for the following year. Even if we manage to land one good free agent we're still going to need everyone buying into team goals if we are to maximize our wins. Might be a hard sell to some players if we're still tanking in year 4 of the rebuild. Keep tanking and it's only a matter of time until some players will want out of the situation, and not all players can perform their best when they're unhappy.

I stopped prioritizing the draft over wins when it became clear we're no longer in that phase of the rebuild. We're in a critical phase right now trying to bridge the gap between being a loser and a winner. Give me the wins. Can't expect to change the culture or even sign good players if the front office/players aren't on the same page and fully committed to winning.

Not saying any of the things I said would have happened if we only won 30 games instead of 35 games, just pointing out that it might not be as simple as giving up some wins for slightly better draft positioning... there can be negative consequences.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#31 » by yoyojw17 » Fri May 6, 2016 2:55 pm

OrlandO wrote:
SOUL wrote:

I disagree that it can't have an impact on free agency or team performance at all next year.

I think most free agents would value the extra wins more than moving up in the draft in the range we're talking about. Might not add much more value, but it's still something to strengthen the sales pitch... every bit counts in our case. Who knows, maybe Millsap would have signed with us last summer if we were a 35-win team?

Falling too far below expectations can also lead to changes in staff or the roster that otherwise wouldn't happen - stuff that can alter a team's future. Change is fine and it can even be great, but I don't think too many here want us making decisions out of desperation. A 30 win season could have got henny fired... or Elfrid or another young prospect prematurely traded.

And I do think continuing to promote a losing culture through tanking year after year can have a negative impact on player/team chemistry, and thus performance, for the following year. Even if we manage to land one good free agent we're still going to need everyone buying into team goals if we are to maximize our wins. Might be a hard sell to some players if we're still tanking in year 4 of the rebuild. Keep tanking and it's only a matter of time until some players will want out of the situation, and not all players can perform their best when they're unhappy.

I stopped prioritizing the draft over wins when it became clear we're no longer in that phase of the rebuild. We're in a critical phase right now trying to bridge the gap between being a loser and a winner. Give me the wins. Can't expect to change the culture or even sign good players if the front office/players aren't on the same page and fully committed to winning.

Not saying any of the things I said would have happened if we only won 30 games instead of 35 games, just pointing out that it might not be as simple as giving up some wins for slightly better draft positioning... there can be negative consequences.

YUP!!!! This 100%! I would rather ride the "win wave" into the offseason and into next than to increase my chances from a whopping .8% to 1.9%! Can't underestimate the effects of a few wins on the trajectory of a team. If we sucked ... we sucked. but we were able to show our team and others around the league that we do have talent.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#32 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri May 6, 2016 2:56 pm

No quitters on this team!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#33 » by Xatticus » Fri May 6, 2016 3:20 pm

SOUL wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:

Could not disagree more.

If there is no possibility of moving up or down I'd rather win. But if there are a significant amount of spots you're able to jump up (2-4), I don't know how winning at the end of the season translates to anything 5 months later. If you could show me a constant pattern of rebuilding teams winning at the end of a season translating to a good season the next year, I'd change my tune. A big name FA is going to come because of money and who's on the roster, not because they saw 3 less wins in the column this year at the end of the season.

Anyway, maybe Hennigan will give us luck and we can jump to top 3.

Leicester City.

We can all dream.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#34 » by Xatticus » Fri May 6, 2016 3:24 pm

Landshark wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Landshark wrote:Also, if a player who turns out like Damian Lillard, Andre Drummond, Paul George, etc. gets picked in the 7-10 range, I'll be pissed.

That assumes that said player will be at the top of the Magic's board at that point. Which we will never actually know, because regardless of who we select, we will be told that is the player we wanted all along.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Destin
Junior
And1: 204

Post#35 » by Destin » Sat May 7, 2016 5:34 pm

Orlando Magic Fans... The ONLY fan base in the world who loves a losing team

UNBELIEVABLE
"All I picture Rob Hennigan doing is sitting in his phat office drinking starbucks and pinching himself wondering how he landed a GM job in the NBA" - Destin
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#36 » by SD2042 » Sun May 8, 2016 1:43 am

Destin wrote:Orlando Magic Fans... The ONLY fan base in the world who loves a losing team

UNBELIEVABLE

I think the Cleveland Browns fan base has us beat by miles.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,630

Post#37 » by SOUL » Sun May 8, 2016 1:57 am

Wouldn't *only* loving a winning team make you a bandwagoner?
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#38 » by drsd » Sun May 8, 2016 6:10 am

OrlandoDream wrote:Ben Simmons or Ingram do not appear to be franchise changing guys like KAT.

:o

doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,509

Post#39 » by doct3r dr3 » Sun May 8, 2016 9:38 pm

Bensational wrote:In a dream world where we land the #1 pick, what's everyone's plans?

- draft Simmons and don't look back?
- draft Ingram and don't look back?
- trade the pick? (Who for?!)
- draft one of those two and trade them later for a star (the way Cleveland traded Wiggins for Love to partner with LeBron)?

Orlando Trades:
#1 pick [to IND] + Elfrid Payton [to CHI] + Victor Oladipo [to LAC] + Nikola Vucevic [to LAC]

Orlando Receives:
Monta Ellis + Mike Dunleavy, Jr. + Luc-Richard Mbah a Moute

Renounce all our FAs, lock up Jennings and Ilyasova w/ MAX deals, use whatever's left over for Larry Sanders and Marquis Daniels, and... profit!
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#40 » by j-ragg » Sun May 8, 2016 10:11 pm

drsd wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Ben Simmons or Ingram do not appear to be franchise changing guys like KAT.

:o

Do you disagree? I'd say the general consensus is this is a weak draft for stars, let alone superstars, and KAT is definitely a franchise player. There aren't many people to start a franchise with right now over KAT.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.

Return to Orlando Magic