ImageImageImageImage

2016 Official Speculation Thread 3

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Re: 2016 Official Speculation Thread 3 

Post#1941 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:31 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:For a few clicks of fun

Interesting. Marvin Williams was a guy I briefly mentioned a while back. Most of the obvious players are in the green with a few surprises.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#1942 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:34 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:

My guess is Gordon gets something like 4/40

In my opinion, teams needing SGs are kind of in a bind. DeRozan probably goes back for the 5th year max in Toronto. Evan will probably get maxed out due to postion scarcity and teams needing to pry him away but after that it get interesting.

personally, I think the SG rankings should go Clarkson, Beal, JR, Langston, Turner, Waiters, Afflalo, Bayless, then Gordon. In this market, a secondary ball handler trumps shooting as a need from your SG. Evan can do both. 4/40 or 3/33 sounds about right for Gordon. He's just way far down the list of guys. To me at least.

Eric Gordon shot over 38% from 3, each of the last 3 seasons. He averaged 15.2 PPG this year. The only knock on him is his injury history...which seems to be irrelevant to a lot of people when it comes to guys like Conley, Parsons, Ezili, Dwight, and so on. He is a quality starting SG when he can be on the floor.

Eric Gordon will not be taking a pay cut from his last contract, where he made 15 mill per. He will get AT LEAST that.

You raise a good point, but I think his current deal was a miguided attempt by the Pelicans/Hornets to show that they had their player of the future. I know he can score but I don't see his skillset the same as I did when he was 22. I feel like no one will be signing him to be a starter. I just see him as the guy who will be around when teams like Sacramento strike out in tryign to get Beal, Evan Turner, etc. Kind of like Rondo was last year when he took his deal.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#1943 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:36 pm

Beal is essentially a younger Eric Gordon,

same size, shooter, cant pass, injured alot= max deal at 22.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#1944 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:37 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:For a few clicks of fun

Interesting. Marvin Williams was a guy I briefly mentioned a while back. Most of the obvious players are in the green with a few surprises.

I almost threw up when it said JR + Barnes for us.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1945 » by j-ragg » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Eric Gordon when he was healthy could at least get to the free throw line a good amount. Something this team could use. Not saying sign him because of that, just a point.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,345

Post#1946 » by tooler » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:39 pm

bigshawn wrote:
magicfan217 wrote:I just can't get Fournier selfishly chucking all year out of my head. I actually really liked Evan 2 years ago...

My hope is that if we sign him back, he's actually more like the player we had two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

This +1000! Its exactly how I feel. I want to like him again, but he made it real hard.

Tobias was a really nice team player after he got paid. These guys just want their contracts and then they'll go back to normal.

That's assuming we have better options on offense than Evan chucking. Without a go-to scorer in free agency, well...
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1947 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:39 pm

i just want a Nic Batum & Magic rumor. Please.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#1948 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:41 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:i just want a Nic Batum & Magic rumor. Please.

It would be a false rumor that would only get your hope up to let you down...he is staying in Charlotte.
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Post#1949 » by JAY DASH » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:45 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:Fournier and Parsons are obviously the better players but if you can get 80% of the player for 1/2 the cost you should do it because it's the smart business decision.

Fournier is a 14-15 PER player

Gordon is a 13.5 PER player.

If Fournier costs 22m a year and Gordon costs you 8-10 id take Gordon.

Evan's 23 years old man. Gordon's 27...undersized, coming off injuries, and back to back 41% shootings seasons. He's the best scoring option left on the roster other than Vooch.
pogiro
Rookie
And1: 512

Post#1950 » by pogiro » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:46 pm

bigshawn wrote:
magicfan217 wrote:I just can't get Fournier selfishly chucking all year out of my head. I actually really liked Evan 2 years ago...

My hope is that if we sign him back, he's actually more like the player we had two years ago.

This +1000! Its exactly how I feel. I want to like him again, but he made it real hard.

How the **** is Evan Fournier, shooting a 46% overall, and 40% 3pt... chucking?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#1951 » by tiderulz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:46 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Nightman wrote:Isn't the pick pretty much gurenteed to be at the end of the 2nd round? Doesn't really carry any value, we just had to give up something for the trade.

doesnt matter. You help a rival, take a player and give them more cap space to go after someone like Horford, you should be compensated, not pay a pick to help them. If it was us giving a late second for Meeks and next years 1st, i would have zero problem with this.

Such an overreaction to such a trivial move. We gave up one of multiple second round picks. And if you'd think SVG would be mentally challenged enough to give up a damn 1st round pick to move a $5 million expiring in a league with a cap of $94 million, you need to get your head checked.

1st - $6.5 mil not $5mil.

2nd - Stan tried to move Meeks for a year and couldnt get a taker. You think Riley, Pops, Ainge, Morey give up a pick to help a rival? no, helping a rival get a max FA, they would have gotten back compensation rather than giving it. This smacks of when we bid against ourselves to get Rashard Lewis and then turned it into a S&T to give him another year on the contract, which no other team was offering

Lewis agreed to terms with the Magic earlier this month, yet no deal could be closed until Wednesday, the first day that the
league's free agent moratorium was lifted. The pact with Orlando originally was for five years, but the sign-and-trade allowed an
extra year to be worked into the contract.

its just a pattern of giving up more in trades than we should have to, trading players for picks with so much protection we would never see the picks, etc.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#1952 » by tiderulz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:49 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:

My guess is Gordon gets something like 4/40

In my opinion, teams needing SGs are kind of in a bind. DeRozan probably goes back for the 5th year max in Toronto. Evan will probably get maxed out due to postion scarcity and teams needing to pry him away but after that it get interesting.

personally, I think the SG rankings should go Clarkson, Beal, JR, Langston, Turner, Waiters, Afflalo, Bayless, then Gordon. In this market, a secondary ball handler trumps shooting as a need from your SG. Evan can do both. 4/40 or 3/33 sounds about right for Gordon. He's just way far down the list of guys. To me at least.

Eric Gordon shot over 38% from 3, each of the last 3 seasons. He averaged 15.2 PPG this year. The only knock on him is his injury history...which seems to be irrelevant to a lot of people when it comes to guys like Conley, Parsons, Ezili, Dwight, and so on. He is a quality starting SG when he can be on the floor.

Eric Gordon will not be taking a pay cut from his last contract, where he made 15 mill per. He will get AT LEAST that.

i wouldnt call it irrelevant. Parsons injury history is what has many on here to not want him. Same with Dwight, if he was healthy, teams would be jumping at giving him a big deal but he isnt.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1953 » by Skin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:50 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:So...

"We trade Tobias to clear cap...we have to sign a max FA to make it worth it!"

"Chandler Parsons!?!?!?! No way in hell!"

Meanwhile...we have no shot at Durant, DeRozan, Conley, Whiteside. Horford and Howard are no longer needed. The next best options are Barnes & Parsons.

Either you want us to sign a max FA and accept that we are giving that money to a best case scenario of Chandler Parsons or you accept the fact that we are not going to blow our load in free agency, just for the sake of doing it.

You can't have it both ways.

No. This is what happened... and it was always the case.... we aren't gonna sign an outside max FA period.

Henny decided long ago that Payton, Fournier, Hezonja, Gordon and Vucevic are his core.

So the rebalancing of the roster began...

TRADE DEADLINE

Step 1: We traded Tobias and Frye to create more playing time specifically for AG and Hezonja, while getting guys to help us make a playoff push... guys who are also on short term low risk contracts, which would give us the flexibility to sign 2 max FAs in the summer if we didn't retain them.

DRAFT

Step 2: We eased the crowding at SG and made a dramatic draft day move to acquire Serge Ibaka for Victor Oladipo. A move that theoretically helps us attract other big named FAs. It also signifies an attempted resolution to build around Vucevic and transition the team from "lottery team" to "playoff team".

FA

Step 3: Use the money freed up from the Tobias Harris trade to retain Fournier.

Step 4: Stay away from max FAs as tempting as it may be. Conley, Whiteside, Horford, Parsons, Barnes... NEVER were/are real targets.

Step 5: Acquire veterans with skills and experience that compliments our core and maintain future cap flexibility to retain that core for the long haul.

We never were going to chase the max FAs from other teams because there is complete trust in our core. It was a nice thought to think that we had that flexibility, but the vision is still ORGANIC, the process is still DEVELOPING STARS IN-HOUSE and the goal is still LONG TERM SUSTAINABILITY.

....and our success in THAT will be the selling point to retain Ibaka. If it fails, then it all falls down, including Henny.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Nightman
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,056

Post#1954 » by Nightman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/748586884465590272[/tweet]
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#1955 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:05 pm

Please resign Evan Fournier
#2A
#Adopt
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,150

Post#1956 » by Def Swami » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:09 pm

All that cap space....for Eric Gordon, Jamal Crawford, and/or Chandler Parsons..... :cry:
fklt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,643

Post#1957 » by fklt » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Spoiler:

Please resign Evan Fournier

...aand he is much younger than all of the guys ahead of him.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#1958 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Nightman wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/748586884465590272[/tweet]

looks like a tourist. lol
#2A
#Adopt
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Post#1959 » by JAY DASH » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:13 pm

pogiro wrote:
bigshawn wrote:

This board is truly amazing lol. They didn't like Dipo. Now they want to get rid of Evan after he shot 46/40/84 last season. I really don't get it...I do understand not wanting to pay him $22 million, but if that's the case you could've just held on to Vic. They sure love Mario though.
ZeusIsLoose
Senior
And1: 234

Post#1960 » by ZeusIsLoose » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:17 pm

JAY DASH wrote:
pogiro wrote:
bigshawn wrote:

This board is truly amazing lol. They didn't like Dipo. Now they want to get rid of Evan after he shot 46/40/84 last season. I really don't get it...I do understand not wanting to pay him $22 million, but if that's the case you could've just held on to Vic. They sure love Mario though.

Because this board thinks we can roll with a lineup of Conley, DeRozan, KD, Ibaka, and Horford next season. So unrealistic

Return to Orlando Magic