ImageImageImageImage

2016 Official Speculation Thread 3

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Re: 2016 Official Speculation Thread 3 

Post#1961 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Skin wrote:
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:So...

"We trade Tobias to clear cap...we have to sign a max FA to make it worth it!"

"Chandler Parsons!?!?!?! No way in hell!"

Meanwhile...we have no shot at Durant, DeRozan, Conley, Whiteside. Horford and Howard are no longer needed. The next best options are Barnes & Parsons.

Either you want us to sign a max FA and accept that we are giving that money to a best case scenario of Chandler Parsons or you accept the fact that we are not going to blow our load in free agency, just for the sake of doing it.

You can't have it both ways.

No. This is what happened... and it was always the case.... we aren't gonna sign an outside max FA period.

Henny decided long ago that Payton, Fournier, Hezonja, Gordon and Vucevic are his core.

So the rebalancing of the roster began...

TRADE DEADLINE

Step 1: We traded Tobias and Frye to create more playing time specifically for AG and Hezonja, while getting guys to help us make a playoff push... guys who are also on short term low risk contracts, which would give us the flexibility to sign 2 max FAs in the summer if we didn't retain them.

DRAFT

Step 2: We eased the crowding at SG and made a dramatic draft day move to acquire Serge Ibaka for Victor Oladipo. A move that theoretically helps us attract other big named FAs. It also signifies an attempted resolution to build around Vucevic and transition the team from "lottery team" to "playoff team".

FA

Step 3: Use the money freed up from the Tobias Harris trade to retain Fournier.

Step 4: Stay away from max FAs as tempting as it may be. Conley, Whiteside, Horford, Parsons, Barnes... NEVER were/are real targets.

Step 5: Acquire veterans with skills and experience that compliments our core and maintain future cap flexibility to retain that core for the long haul.

We never were going to chase the max FAs from other teams because there is complete trust in our core. It was a nice thought to think that we had that flexibility, but the vision is still ORGANIC, the process is still DEVELOPING STARS IN-HOUSE and the goal is still LONG TERM SUSTAINABILITY.

....and our success in THAT will be the selling point to retain Ibaka. If it fails, then it all falls down, including Henny.

You are referencing what is actually happening...not the poster mentality on this board. Discussing different things.

You have to get everyone on board with using common sense and logic before you can make people understand the true details, like you posted...which I agree with, 100% (and support).
magicfan217
Lead Assistant
And1: 985

Post#1962 » by magicfan217 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:35 pm

Surprised those numbers were so high for evan. Still felt like the ball stuck in his hands far too often.

I won't be upset at bringing him back....I dont think he's worth a max, but Id prolly rather pay him that then give Jeremy Lin or Eric Gordon a big deal.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#1963 » by OrlandO » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:37 pm

pogiro wrote:
bigshawn wrote:
magicfan217 wrote:I just can't get Fournier selfishly chucking all year out of my head. I actually really liked Evan 2 years ago...

My hope is that if we sign him back, he's actually more like the player we had two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

This +1000! Its exactly how I feel. I want to like him again, but he made it real hard.

How the **** is Evan Fournier, shooting a 46% overall, and 40% 3pt... chucking?

And on only 11.8 fga in 33 minutes of play... you can call an inefficient shooter a chucker... you can call a high volume shooter a chucker... you can't call Fournier a chucker, especially when most of his shots are catch and shoot. Only reason people were so harsh on him was because they thought his future here was as a backup, Dipo would be the SG moving forward, and they wanted mario and AG to get more touches. With Dipo gone and Fournier about to get locked in as a starter, people need to let that kind of criticism go...
AddiFB
Veteran
And1: 2,546

Post#1964 » by AddiFB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:40 pm

To be honest, I had more faith in Fournier hitting a jumper than Dipo. Love Dipo and will support him in OKC, but when he was taking shots in crunch time, I was crunching my fingers. If he wasn't on fire, which was every now and then sort of, he wasn't reliable. Fournier was even more reliable in drives and finishing around the rim, wasn't he? Again, love Dipo. Love his motor, his heart and his drive, but he has some scratches to buff out of his game and hopefully he can.
- Orlando Magic fan since 1991 -
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1965 » by MagicFan32 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:45 pm

JAY DASH wrote:This board is a weird place. In what world do you not want the current 6th man of the year on your roster if you can get him? I already said trading for Meeks has no bearing on going after Crawford. If Mario's deserving of minutes he will get on the floor. Our young guys will get minutes under Vogel, but we need some better vets on the team if we're going to be competitive.

Because if you closely examine Crawfords numbers you see a player declining with efficiency that is becoming more problematic. If he's here he will take minutes from Mario, just examine the roster.

The problem with all this, is Hennigans "plan" this off-season seemed somewhat dependent on Mario taking a bigger role and taking a big step forward, but they must not be that confident in him if they are going to keep bringing in all these wing players.

The Magic just look like a desperate organization with no direction
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#1966 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:45 pm

AddiFB wrote:To be honest, I had more faith in Fournier hitting a jumper than Dipo. Love Dipo and will support him in OKC, but when he was taking shots in crunch time, I was crunching my fingers. If he wasn't on fire, which was every now and then sort of, he wasn't reliable. Fournier was even more reliable in drives and finishing around the rim, wasn't he? Again, love Dipo. Love his motor, his heart and his drive, but he has some scratches to buff out of his game and hopefully he can.

Yep. Fournier > Oladipo. Oh, and he's taller and younger. People on this board want AG to have the green light and be used more in the offense (which I don't disagree with) but don't they realize that's what we were doing last year with Evan? And he passed the test by shooting 46/40/84 with almost identical stats as Klay Thompson at the same age.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2016 Official Speculation Thread 3 

Post#1967 » by npiper17 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:48 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:Have you never seen the show?

I give up.

As you should. You pushing for me to offer up a dream scenario is kind of pointless. It's not like if I say Conley+Dwight+Courtney, it makes my criticism of Jamal Crawford any more or less realistic.

It's astonishing by how much you miss the point. And by the way I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I could care less what you say about Jamal Crawford. It's about how you conduct yourself on this board and that goes back years.

Once again you don't come up with an original alternative to the ideas that other posters come up with you bash their ideas. I'm simply making the point that someone who is so vocal in their criticism should back that criticism up with some ideas of their own. You don't do it, never have and when repeatedly asked both this summer and last, refuse to do so.

And my 'I give up' comment relates to the fact that ONCE AGAIN you refuse to answer the point in my posts but ask if I've seen some show before sweeping in the next post declaring 'as you should' followed by some nonsense about Jamal Crawford.

I assume you're an intelligent person so for goodness sake GET THE POINT that I and others have made about your conduct on this board for years.

*anticipating response along the lines of either:
- why should I?
- something to do with Jodie Meeks or Jamal Crawford
- a snippy comment towards a different poster's ideas / thoughts
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#1968 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:55 pm

npiper17 wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
npiper17 wrote:

I give up.

As you should. You pushing for me to offer up a dream scenario is kind of pointless. It's not like if I say Conley+Dwight+Courtney, it makes my criticism of Jamal Crawford any more or less realistic.

It's astonishing by how much you miss the point. And by the way I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I could care less what you say about Jamal Crawford. It's about how you conduct yourself on this board and that goes back years.

Once again you don't come up with an original alternative to the ideas that other posters come up with you bash their ideas. I'm simply making the point that someone who is so vocal in their criticism should back that criticism up with some ideas of their own. You don't do it, never have and when repeatedly asked both this summer and last, refuse to do so.

And my 'I give up' comment relates to the fact that ONCE AGAIN you refuse to answer the point in my posts but ask if I've seen some show before sweeping in the next post declaring 'as you should' followed by some nonsense about Jamal Crawford.

I assume you're an intelligent person so for goodness sake GET THE POINT that I and others have made about your conduct on this board for years.

- why should I?

What idea did I bash? If you don't want to read what I have to say, just block me. No hard feelings. I just don't see any value in playing fantasy GM with you when there is plenty to talk about in reality.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,773

Post#1969 » by ChosenSavior » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:58 pm

JAY DASH wrote:
pogiro wrote:
bigshawn wrote:

This +1000! Its exactly how I feel. I want to like him again, but he made it real hard.

How the **** is Evan Fournier, shooting a 46% overall, and 40% 3pt... chucking?

This board is truly amazing lol. They didn't like Dipo. Now they want to get rid of Evan after he shot 46/40/84 last season. I really don't get it...I do understand not wanting to pay him $22 million, but if that's the case you could've just held on to Vic. They sure love Mario though.

Give it some time. Mario will be talked about negatively eventually along with AG. It's already been happening with Elfrid.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#1970 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:58 pm

npiper17 wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
npiper17 wrote:

I give up.

As you should. You pushing for me to offer up a dream scenario is kind of pointless. It's not like if I say Conley+Dwight+Courtney, it makes my criticism of Jamal Crawford any more or less realistic.[/quote

- why should I?

Wow, that's some elite level pwnage right there... :o :wink:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,597

Post#1971 » by SOUL » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:58 pm

It's already happening with AG as of late.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1972 » by ChosenSavior » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:03 pm

I'll wait till Rick Rolled comes and posts in here and provide some news for us before I overreact to a lot of these rumors floating around about who we are/aren't interested in.
fromthepinnacle
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#1973 » by fromthepinnacle » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:08 pm

Hey guys, first time/long time. Just wanted to offer my two cents on why I think Crawford would be a good idea. One of our biggest weaknesses, in my opinion, is the lack of players capable of creating their own shot. Pardon the lack of depth of my research but I looked up how Crawford does in iso situations on nba.com/stats. With a minimum of 150 iso sets run for a given player, Crawford ranked 12 of 32 in eFG% at 44.3%. Using those same qualifiers, his TO frequency out of isos was the lowest, at 3.4%. The site also shows that his team's score frequency (defined as "the percentage of times a player or team scored at least 1 point") was 3rd out of those 32 players, at 47.5%. This is from last season. If those numbers are to be believed--and I'm sure some caveats are in order that I obviously haven't investigated--the man does good things when he's isolated.

With my cursory analysis, I think he would be great coming off the bench for us, leaving aside the fact that he's a veteran that has played in big games who may be able to mentor members of our young and talented core.

Please don't kill me.
Go Magic.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1974 » by j-ragg » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:10 pm

People are being pretty tough on Hennigan considering free agency hasn't started.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#1975 » by KingRobb02 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:11 pm

So now we are at the point where Al Horford is the guy who controls the balance of power in the NBA? If Durant is really waiting on him, then this is a lot more interesting.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#1976 » by Orlwillbeback » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:13 pm

j-ragg wrote:People are being pretty tough on Hennigan considering free agency hasn't started.

Yep.

We got nothing better to do though.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1977 » by ChosenSavior » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:13 pm

fromthepinnacle wrote:Hey guys, first time/long time. Just wanted to offer my two cents on why I think Crawford would be a good idea. One of our biggest weaknesses, in my opinion, is the lack of players capable of creating their own shot. Pardon the lack of depth of my research but I looked up how Crawford does in iso situations on nba.com/stats. With a minimum of 150 iso sets run for a given player, Crawford ranked 12 of 32 in eFG% at 44.3%. Using those same qualifiers, his TO frequency out of isos was the lowest, at 3.4%. The site also shows that his team's score frequency (defined as "the percentage of times a player or team scored at least 1 point") was 3rd out of those 32 players, at 47.5%. This is from last season. If those numbers are to be believed--and I'm sure some caveats are in order that I obviously haven't investigated--the man does good things when he's isolated.

With my cursory analysis, I think he would be great coming off the bench for us, leaving aside the fact that he's a veteran that has played in big games who may be able to mentor members of our young and talented core.

Please don't kill me.

Welcome to the asylum, we are very moody here lol. Good numbers you posted there. I think people are afraid of the amount of money it will take to land Jamal and whether he is going to cut into Mario's minutes if we do get him.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#1978 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:16 pm

j-ragg wrote:People are being pretty tough on Hennigan considering free agency hasn't started.

I think for a long time, people were only looking at the cap spike and the space we would have. Now, they are looking at who is actually out there and the money they will cost. It's a lot more frightening when reality starts to set in.

The cure? Realizing this was the plan all along.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#1979 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:18 pm

Def Swami wrote:All that cap space....for Eric Gordon, Jamal Crawford, and/or Chandler Parsons..... :cry:

Gonna go out on a limb and say we end up with none of them...with the off chance of only Crawford.

This makes me happy.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#1980 » by npiper17 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:21 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
npiper17 wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:As you should. You pushing for me to offer up a dream scenario is kind of pointless. It's not like if I say Conley+Dwight+Courtney, it makes my criticism of Jamal Crawford any more or less realistic.

- why should I?

What idea did I bash? If you don't want to read what I have to say, just block me. No hard feelings. I just don't see any value in playing fantasy GM with you when there is plenty to talk about in reality.

So it was the first option then? Ha ha.

It's hardly playing fantasy GM. It's discussing the future of the team. Is that not the point of boards that are named 'RealGM?'

Anyway you won't change your posting habits so I will stop trying to demonstrate why you should.

Return to Orlando Magic