ImageImageImageImage

Victor Oladipo Appreciation Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: Victor Oladipo Appreciation Thread 

Post#61 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:00 pm

MrOrlando wrote:Bit of a long read, but I just wanted to share my experience here with you guys.

For my very first Orlando Magic game last year, Oladipo was injured and could not play opening home night against the Wizards. I was a little bummed out as I sat on the sidelines watching Channing Frye practice out on the court, I remember being surprised he was out there shooting and thought he would be out as well.

Since I was new to the arena, I just looked around in awe and couldn't believe I was there. We were in Row 7, and had access to the Field Access Lounge on the floor level of the stadium. This is where you could go get snacks, drinks, food, whatever you wanted. As I left out of the area with popcorn in hand, an employee gently took me by the shoulder and said "You should probably wait here, they're about to come out". I was confused, but realized that this is exactly where the players came out of the tunnel. I was floored. I quickly took out my camera and recorded the players coming out, handing off my popcorn to my girlfriend as I stuck my hand out for high fives. I was in total bliss. This is my absolute favorite team, and here I am high fiving not just the players, but the franchise I have loved for years.

After the introductions and opening tip, a time out was called and we made our way back to the Field Access Lounge for more free beer and food. As I came back to the runway where the players came out, I saw Victor Oladipo standing there. I don't get star struck, but I couldn't believe he was right there in a maroon jacket taking pictures with fans. I put my stuff down and walked up and waited for him to come down to me. I said "Victor, I'm sorry you're not out there tonight. I know you would be putting on a show if you were" he nodded, smiled and said something, I couldn't hear anything at that point as I was super excited to get a photo with him. I didn't have a pen for him to autograph anything, I didn't expect to even get the opportunity to be that close to any player when I went on vacation to Orlando. I shook his hand and said thanks, took my popcorn and went back with a buzz. Not from the ridiculous amounts of free beer available, but from meeting my favorite player. One I had hoped to watch with the Magic for a very long time.

I was physically ill when I saw he was traded. Literally sick to my stomach. I'm still sad about him going, we all enjoyed Victor here with his time in Orlando. He was active with the community, players, and everything to do with Orlando. Even though I live in Houston, I could still appreciate the person he was from afar, and for those who live in Orlando and got to experience his personality on a day to day basis, I am envious and jealous of you.

In the end it was a business move, one that I understand. But the heart doesn't comprehend business, it just knows that it's hurt. Cheer up though Magic fans, we got to have a great player and guy on our team. Let's hope the best for him, and have faith in the organization that brought him to us in the first place.

Anyways, if you've made it this far into my story, thanks for your time.

Here is the picture I took with Oladipo. Good luck to you sir. Have much success in OKC!

Thanks for sharing!
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#62 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Appreciation? Must be a joke right. Doesn't look like anyone appreciates him as they try tojustify a crap trade.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Re: Re: Re: Victor Oladipo Appreciation Thread 

Post#63 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Max Power wrote:Ditto. Love Victor, he might be the missing piece to OKC winning a title. I wish we had kept him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I hope Durant re -signs and they win multiple titles with Victor.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#64 » by IllMagic04 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:02 pm

I remember this like yesterday. This was the game I felt like we found our franchise player. Im gonna miss this dude :( [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFyv-uLW6wI[/youtube]
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#65 » by OrlandO » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:07 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Appreciation? Must be a joke right. Doesn't look like anyone appreciates him as they try tojustify a crap trade.

Maybe it's possible to appreciate him, understand the trade and also appreciate Ibaka being on the team now?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#66 » by KillMonger » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:10 pm

sad to see him leave, literally mouth dropped when i heard the news but i understand the direction we're trying to go in
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,247

Re: Re: Victor Oladipo Appreciation Thread 

Post#67 » by eyriq » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:I'm a thunder fan now I guess

I've never understood player fans. Bye.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#68 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:59 pm

I'm surprised how small this thread is, especially with 50% of you whining about the trade.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#69 » by RookieStar » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Well... I guess some of the fans still can't get over it?

I'm ready to move on and this will just cement the thunder as my favorite Western Team
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#70 » by OrlandO » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:13 pm

If I knew he'd get traded I would have put more mileage on my Orlandipo shirt this year.
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 847

Post#71 » by axl_c_cool » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:02 pm

The plan is Durant signs this summer, then summer 17 Dipo we offer a sheet and OKC don't match it, then we get Payon/Dipo/Durant/Gordon/Ikaba and a championship! (let me dream)
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#72 » by woosah » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:07 pm

so will Mellow get unbanned since his greatest source of ire is gone? :lol:

Dang, if FloridaHoosier follows Vic to the OKC boards, i may be the only lady around here again. :(

I was never super high on Vic but i liked him and i think he will be a solid player. I wish him the best (when he isn't playing us).
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,447

Post#73 » by Bensational » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:50 pm

It's hard not to love Oladipo when you see just how much he leaves everything out on the court. He doesn't hold back or play at anything less than 100% effort any time he's on the court.

If Durant returns to OKC, Oladipo could be that missing piece they needed. He's a lockdown defender, and he can light up a scoreboard most nights. He's the most well balanced #3 option they've had since Harden. He can't score as well as Harden, but he's as good if not better than Waiters - whilst being able to defend better than Roberson.

I really had hoped he'd be our Iggy-esque 6th man and potential finals MVP in the future. it's sad to see him go. I wish him all the best, and OKC will become the team I'll be cheering for out West next season, I reckon.
didak
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#74 » by didak » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:41 am

Thanks for the memories Victor. Not only a great talent on court but always was representing our ball club in the right way off the court and we fans will surely miss him.

This guy was the first of Henny's draft picks, so for him to trade him off now would have probably hurt Henny deeply too. But this is a business, I was pissed off with this trade at first but I think now its sunk in I can see Vic doing really well at OKC and I can see Ibaka offering us Magic fans something to get excited about.

Good luck in all future endeavors Mr Oladipo and I look forward to seeing you in the finals next season (I wish!)
R I P - Kobe Bryant
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#75 » by OrlandO » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:08 am

Is Vucevic the only one who showed Dipo some love through social media? Any article quotes from others?
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#76 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:19 am

OrlandO wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Appreciation? Must be a joke right. Doesn't look like anyone appreciates him as they try tojustify a crap trade.

Maybe it's possible to appreciate him, understand the trade and also appreciate Ibaka being on the team now?

My feelings exactly.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,028

Post#77 » by Driguez » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm surprised there aren't many more replies. I'll surely miss the guy but I welcome the much needed change.
Huevos Bancheros
seeingstars
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#78 » by seeingstars » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Me: I hope Durant stays with OKC, even if it means we miss out on him.

Wife: yes, without Ibaka and him, OKC arent contenders.

Me: Not uh.

Wife: Why, who else?

Me:They got Dipo.

Wife: Oh shut up.

My wife hated his chucks and we argued about Oladipo being better than James Harden 2 years ago. Those arguments are over now. Sad to see him leave but he always tried his best. At least were exiting our rebuild.
The future is bright 8-) Payton said. ``I just want to keep getting better and maybe one day I can be the all-time all assists leader for the Magic.’’
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,011

Post#79 » by KillMonger » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:39 pm

one thing i never understood is why his finishing ability diminished so much in the league, he was finishing at a 60% clip in college
mrmorell
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#80 » by mrmorell » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Italian fan here, sorry for my English.
I remember well 2013 draft night on June 27th, I had so much hype for McLemore and I hoped we have brought him with our #2 pick, so when I heard Stern make Vic's name I can't hide that I was a little disappointed: I would have preferred a less ready talent like Ben because I wanted Wiggins so bad and I thought that Oladipo would have provided is far too many wins.
However, I followed him in SL and actually liked the fact he was playing a lot at PG position, because I knew that he wasn't a good handler (in fact he's improved now) and maybe this decision would have influenced our season.
I watched our first game of the season against the Pacers in the night (like every NBA game except for Sunday, I live in Italy) and at the time I was far more hopeful than the draft night: I remember that he entered the game in the first quarter for Nelson and that I liked a lot his dynamism and quickness in defense. By that game, my love for him increased so much that he soon became my favorite player and I even bought his jersey (a replica from NBA Store EU) last summer.
My favorite moment was the match we won against Phoenix last year near December, I stayed awake until 4.30 AM but it was great, for sure. I was just hoping that I would have seen other wins in May, especially with Victor that was already fighting with DH12 for being my favorite Magic player seen in my life (I'm just 21 and I wasn't born or old enough to see Shaq, Penny and the great T-Mac).
Given that, It's obvious that this trade has hurt me so much, as a Magic fan (I feel disappointed by Hennigan's behavior) and especially as a Victor fan. I hope he does his best in OKC and eventually gets his chance to win the title, he deserves that as a player and (from what I have read) as a human being.
Thanks for everything Victor, even though you contribution may seem low by other people. You increased my passion for the Magic and you didn't make me feel uncomfortable when I saw this team late night, I won't forget you for sure.
[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/5eSNIpI-HZ/[/instagram]

Return to Orlando Magic