ImageImageImageImage

Magic reach agreement with DJ Augustin

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Re: Magic reach agreement with DJ Augustin 

Post#161 » by claudio-br » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:44 pm

thelead wrote:
claudio-br wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/748902137027964929[/tweet]

I hated the trade but let's not forget the most important part of the trade:

The magic traded Tobias' minutes and are using it mostly on AG and Mario.

yeah. also, i cant say that for sure as i'm not in the FO, but Henningan probably was forced to make the Tobias trade by Skiles. still, it was a bummer to sell low on him
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#162 » by Viper1500 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:44 pm

More has to come..

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#163 » by ralphie9898 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:47 pm

shadrock wrote:Liking the shooting depth we are adding. I wonder if CJ would be appealing to a team via teade? I dont see a need for Elf CJ and DJ.

yeah but If we go with him we lose the defense and athleticism that Payton provides. Is he any better than Jennings? I would say Jennings is a little better so not sure he adds that much shooting wise. Meeks adds shooting but how much playing time will he get as I think he will be behind Fournier and Hezonja. I am ok with this deal but it doesn't move the needle for me.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#164 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:47 pm

The Effect wrote:[Tweet][/Tweet]
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
claudio-br wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/NateDuncanNBA/status/748902137027964929[/tweet]

Love when people over simplify a situation. You really get to see who the ignorant people in this world are.

How is that simplifying the situation, everyone claimed that the move of trading Harris was done to give us cap space, now that Hennigan has wasted that cap space on scrub players, this board once again jumps in to defend his horrible moves with bull responses.

I'm sorry but Augustin and Meeks are nowhere near worth Tobias, and that's all we got out of that trade

The only people upset are the ones that expected it to be spent on 2nd/3rd tier players who are making max money. Those same people tend to ignore the fact that the move was also, in large part, to give Mario & AG more burn and room to develop. If we have Harris, Ibaka, and Vuc on the team...those guys never see the floor. Especially Mario. Harris did nothing for this team...he was a ball stopped that slowed team growth. Is he talented? Very. He just was not a part of this team's future. I do think we could have gotten more but I don't think the trade was 100% Henny...considering the return, it sure looked a lot like a Martins/Skiles type of deal. That last bit is pure speculation but it is also logical.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#165 » by Skin » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:50 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

Love when people over simplify a situation. You really get to see who the ignorant people in this world are.

How is that simplifying the situation, everyone claimed that the move of trading Harris was done to give us cap space, now that Hennigan has wasted that cap space on scrub players, this board once again jumps in to defend his horrible moves with bull responses.

I'm sorry but Augustin and Meeks are nowhere near worth Tobias, and that's all we got out of that trade

Just because we had $40M in cap space doesn't mean we traded Tobias for Augustin and Meeks. We needed to make those kind of moves regardless of trading Tobias. The real point of trading Tobias was to balance out the roster, get guys to theoretically make a playoff push (with expiring contracts) and then be able to afford keeping Fournier.

The real fact of the matter is the Magic didn't have to sign Tobias in the first place based on what they ended up getting in the trade, but at least it was a reset and we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot by acquiring bad contracts. If they really wanted to be smart they would've either traded him at the deadline in 2015 or trade him on draft day 2016 to get a late 1st round pick.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Post#166 » by Jameerthefear » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:52 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

The only people upset are the ones that expected it to be spent on 2nd/3rd tier players who are making max money. Those same people tend to ignore the fact that the move was also, in large part, to give Mario & AG more burn and room to develop. If we have Harris, Ibaka, and Vuc on the team...those guys never see the floor. Especially Mario. Harris did nothing for this team...he was a ball stopped that slowed team growth. Is he talented? Very. He just was not a part of this team's future. I do think we could have gotten more but I don't think the trade was 100% Henny...considering the return, it sure looked a lot like a Martins/Skiles type of deal. That last bit is pure speculation but it is also logical.

If you think Harris didn't fit in the future for this team, that's completely fine. But that contract was easily movable in this cap environment. Mozgov just got more guaranteed money than Harris. We let go of an asset for nothing.
djhunkyherbs
Sophomore
And1: 136

Post#167 » by djhunkyherbs » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:53 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

It's oversimplifying for a few reasons.

1. The offseason is still less than 12 hours old. The Magic still have a lot of cap space and the potential to make moves, so we shouldn't be looking at the trade as Tobias for Meeks and Augustin.

2. It's not like the cap flexibility that the Magic got from the Harris deal had to be used immediately this offseason. Harris is signed for the next 3 years in Detroit, so his being gone gives the Magic more cap room this offseason, the next one, and the one after. This is important especially if the Magic want to re-sign Ibaka after this year.

3. Harris being gone allows more of an opportunity for Gordon and Hezonja to flourish. Let's hope they can use the opportunity to become the stars we want them to be.

If anyone is looking at the trade as Harris for Meeks/Augustin then of course it doesn't look good, but it really isn't that simple and it hopefully will allow the Magic to become a better team in the long run.

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#168 » by Skin » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:56 pm

We got a PG who we can keep in the end of tight games because he can hit his FTs! I'm happy.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie
And1: 349

Post#169 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Fri Jul 1, 2016 3:57 pm

claudio-br wrote:
thelead wrote:

I hated the trade but let's not forget the most important part of the trade:

yeah. also, i cant say that for sure as i'm not in the FO, but Henningan probably was forced to make the Tobias trade by Skiles. still, it was a bummer to sell low on him

It was a poorly executed trade. We have to call a spade a spade.
If Hennigan was in fact "forced to make the trade by Skiles" then is Hennigan the man for this job??
You don't sell off talent to make minutes for unproven prospects. They need to EARN the time.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#170 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:01 pm

T-DOT KEEZY wrote:
claudio-br wrote:
thelead wrote:I hated the trade but let's not forget the most important part of the trade:

It was a poorly executed trade. We have to call a spade a spade.
If Hennigan was in fact "forced to make the trade by Skiles" then is Hennigan the man for this job??
You don't sell off talent to make minutes for unproven prospects. They need to EARN the time.

Last year...Skiles = Martins, Martins = Skiles. Skiles + Martins = RDV.
Fiddlesticks
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#171 » by Fiddlesticks » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:04 pm

Rob Hennigan some times i think you are a great GM other times i am not so sure. I like DJ Aug but i hate 4 year deal, forces us to definitely trade CJ Watson who i thought was on a very good contract or have and pay way to many Point Guards. I like the idea behind the Harris and Ibaka trades although i think you got the worst of both of them. As a fan the fact that we are not Making "splash Moves" is a bit frustrating but i do think this is a playoff team finally. Curious to see what we do at SF or PF, should give us a good idea of where AG will be playing most of his minutes.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#172 » by OrlandoDream » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:07 pm

Melvinlocker wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/Chris_Broussard/status/748900898974294020[/tweet]

That's an acceptable deal for a backup. With what Jeremy Lin got, I'll take it. Good signing. Now let's sign Fournicator and call it a day.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#173 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:10 pm

I like this deal.
zerp
Rookie
And1: 36

Post#174 » by zerp » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:13 pm

We need 12 mil for 2 PG backup because your starter is atrocious. EP is a cancer
Go MAGIC
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,773

Post#175 » by ChosenSavior » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:13 pm

djhunkyherbs wrote:
LBPTarHeel27 wrote:

It's oversimplifying for a few reasons.

1. The offseason is still less than 12 hours old. The Magic still have a lot of cap space and the potential to make moves, so we shouldn't be looking at the trade as Tobias for Meeks and Augustin.

2. It's not like the cap flexibility that the Magic got from the Harris deal had to be used immediately this offseason. Harris is signed for the next 3 years in Detroit, so his being gone gives the Magic more cap room this offseason, the next one, and the one after. This is important especially if the Magic want to re-sign Ibaka after this year.

3. Harris being gone allows more of an opportunity for Gordon and Hezonja to flourish. Let's hope they can use the opportunity to become the stars we want them to be.

If anyone is looking at the trade as Harris for Meeks/Augustin then of course it doesn't look good, but it really isn't that simple and it hopefully will allow the Magic to become a better team in the long run.

Showing love to this post. Well said.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,597

Post#176 » by SOUL » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:15 pm

zerp wrote:We need 12 mil for 2 PG backup because your starter is atrocious. EP is a cancer

Does he kill babies too?
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie

Post#177 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:16 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:That's not bad!

HOPEFULLY OUR LIFELONG QUEST FOR A BACKUP POINT GUARD IS FINALLY OVER!

We actually already have a backup point guard. Elfrid Payton.
We need a starting caliber PG that can shoot it so that we can run a PNR offense successfully.
Hopefully some trades are on the hopper.

My Ticket rep is calling me literally daily to extend and I am not going to do it unless we get something better on the perimeter at SG or SF. Hennigan has tripled down on Elfrid Payton so we obviously are not getting an actual PG.
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie

Post#178 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:19 pm

Fiddlesticks wrote:Rob Hennigan some times i think you are a great GM other times i am not so sure. I like DJ Aug but i hate 4 year deal, forces us to definitely trade CJ Watson who i thought was on a very good contract or have and pay way to many Point Guards. I like the idea behind the Harris and Ibaka trades although i think you got the worst of both of them. As a fan the fact that we are not Making "splash Moves" is a bit frustrating but i do think this is a playoff team finally. Curious to see what we do at SF or PF, should give us a good idea of where AG will be playing most of his minutes.

With keeping Harris AND trading for Ibaka we are probably a better team today than we are without Harris.
Harris is young, versatile, and has a reasonable contract
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#179 » by OrlandO » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:19 pm

T-DOT KEEZY wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:That's not bad!

HOPEFULLY OUR LIFELONG QUEST FOR A BACKUP POINT GUARD IS FINALLY OVER!

We actually already have a backup point guard. Elfrid Payton.
We need a starting caliber PG that can shoot it so that we can run a PNR offense successfully.
Hopefully some trades are on the hopper.

My Ticket rep is calling me literally daily to extend and I am not going to do it unless we get something better on the perimeter at SG or SF. Hennigan has tripled down on Elfrid Payton so we obviously are not getting an actual PG.

didn't you say the same thing last year about not extending your tix?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,597

Post#180 » by SOUL » Fri Jul 1, 2016 4:20 pm

Same whiners every day.

Return to Orlando Magic