ImageImageImageImage

What would Oladipo+Tobias+1st Rd pick net us last season?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Re: What would Oladipo+Tobias+1st Rd pick net us last season? 

Post#21 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:17 am

j_n wrote:
tiderulz wrote:we have no idea if Harris had value, or if Hennigan let Martins/Skiles force him to get Skiles players just to let him hang himself. We just dont know. Anyone who says they know different is just guessing

Im pretty sure Hennigan took the best offer he got for Harris which was expiring vets, if there was a better offer its pretty safe to assume he would have taken it.

Last year Harris averaged 14/7 with poor efficiency, subpar defense and didnt provide spacing or rim protection on a team that was already lacking in both areas, not only that but he was locked on 16 million a year for 4 years.
If the cap didnt rise as it did this summer he would have been a really bad contract, as it stands I would still rather have 16 million in cap space than Tobias Harris and I wont be surprised if he lost his starting role this upcoming season.

If Montiejunas, who had been injured most of the year, was going to bring back a pick Harris could too.

And last year, Harris was playing very good defense and his role in the offense was dramatically reduced, so of course his ppg last year would go down. Hennigan took that deal to let Skiles crash and burn for going over his head.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#22 » by j_n » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 pm

tiderulz wrote:If Montiejunas, who had been injured most of the year, was going to bring back a pick Harris could too.

And last year, Harris was playing very good defense and his role in the offense was dramatically reduced, so of course his ppg last year would go down. Hennigan took that deal to let Skiles crash and burn for going over his head.

Montieunas and Thornton...

Besides, youre ignoring salaries, many players will bring back a pick on their rookie contract but wont bring back one at 16 million per year.
Harris is exactly the type of player you dont want on your cap before free agency, low ceiling, inconsistent, very little upside and a very good chance of becoming a bench player that is paid like a starter, which would make him a bad contract that would likely cost a first to unload.

Biyombo at least has a chance to develop further and allows us to trade Vuc, Jeff Green and Meeks are expiring and will allow us to go after a max player next year or trade for one at the deadline, DJ is making less than half of what Harris got and provides insurance in case Elf doesnt improve.

I would rather have 16 million in cap space than Tobias Harris so to me his value is negative, again, I dont see why Hennigan wouldnt take a better deal if there was one.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#23 » by fendilim » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:55 pm

j_n wrote:
tiderulz wrote:If Montiejunas, who had been injured most of the year, was going to bring back a pick Harris could too.

Besides, youre ignoring salaries, many players will bring back a pick on their rookie contract but wont bring back one at 16 million per year.
Harris is exactly the type of player you dont want on your cap before free agency, low ceiling, inconsistent, very little upside and a very good chance of becoming a bench player that is paid like a starter, which would make him a bad contract that would likely cost a first to unload.

Biyombo at least has a chance to develop further and allows us to trade Vuc, Jeff Green and Meeks are expiring and will allow us to go after a max player next year or trade for one at the deadline, DJ is making less than half of what Harris got and provides insurance in case Elf doesnt improve.

I would rather have 16 million in cap space than Tobias Harris so to me his value is negative, again, I dont see why Hennigan wouldnt take a better deal if there was one.

SVG said in JJ's podcast that they were surprised with the price they got Harris for. Surprised no 1sts were involved, and in fact they wanted a guy like harris on a long-term deal.
Tayswagzzz
Analyst
And1: 1,701

Post#24 » by Tayswagzzz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:11 pm

fendilim wrote:
j_n wrote:

SVG said in JJ's podcast that they were surprised with the price they got Harris for. Surprised no 1sts were involved, and in fact they wanted a guy like harris on a long-term deal.

Makes me want to vomit...
Orlando Magic | Atlanta Braves | Florida State
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#25 » by Xatticus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:23 pm

fendilim wrote:
j_n wrote:

This. I'm not sure where all this cynicism has come from regarding Harris' value. It's fine to say that he wasn't the best use of our resources long-term, but it's just a fallacy to imply that he had no value. SVG has stated publicly that he was surprised they didn't have to part with a 1st round pick in return, which really makes you wonder how the negotiation went down.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#26 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:45 pm

fendilim wrote:
j_n wrote:

dont bring facts to a knife fight :D
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#27 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:15 pm

tiderulz wrote:
fendilim wrote:
j_n wrote:Montieunas and Thornton...

Don't confuse the fact that a comment was made with the fact that the content of the comment was truthful.

Even if we assume Detroit valued Harris enough to be surprised by the price, that doesn't change the fact that the price was set by the market which was surely well vetted. So this (if true) wasn't the league wide value of Harris.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#28 » by fendilim » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:22 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
fendilim wrote:SVG said in JJ's podcast that they were surprised with the price they got Harris for. Surprised no 1sts were involved, and in fact they wanted a guy like harris on a long-term deal.

Don't confuse the fact that a comment was made with the fact that the content of the comment was truthful.

Even if we assume Detroit valued Harris enough to be surprised by the price, that doesn't change the fact that the price was set by the market which was surely well vetted. So this (if true) wasn't the league wide value of Harris.

Actually, it wasnt SVG alone who commented on it, but Redick as well, was quite in an agreement with how it was a steal for the Pistons.

Also, There were even reports that the Kings offered Harris the MAX. So it wasnt that there were no interest for Harris and for the amount of money he signed.

At the end of the day, it was clearly a move to appease Skiles, and sadly, it Doing so may have backfired as we didnt even bother to get future picks, or even 2nd rounders. But landing Biyombo with the cap space we opened up covered the loss.

For what it worth, the Pistons "traded" a 1st round pick for an expiring AND injured Donatas Montiejunas, who couldnt even stay on the floor. so to say Harris is of lesser value because we didnt get a first in return is simply absurd.
Mc-o
Veteran
And1: 1,507

Post#29 » by Mc-o » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:29 pm

fendilim wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Actually, it wasnt SVG alone who commented on it, but Redick as well, was quite in an agreement with how it was a steal for the Pistons.

Also, There were even reports that the Kings offered Harris the MAX. So it wasnt that there were no interest for Harris and for the amount of money he signed.

At the end of the day, it was clearly a move to appease Skiles, and sadly, it Doing so may have backfired as we didnt even bother to get future picks, or even 2nd rounders. But landing Biyombo with the cap space we opened up covered the loss.

For what it worth, the Pistons "traded" a 1st round pick for an expiring AND injured Donatas Montiejunas, who couldnt even stay on the floor. so to say Harris is of lesser value because we didnt get a first in return is simply absurd.

I don't think it was a move to appease Skiles , I think rob was going to move Tobias for expiring and brought back expiring deals that Skiles wanted but the fact we didn't get a first regardless of reason is on rob and company
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#30 » by drsd » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Oladipo + Harris + late-lottery first-rounder for a three-time all defensive player with an offensive game and a nice jumper, if Ibaka returns to form, Orlando may have won this trade.

tiderulz
RealGM

Post#31 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:07 pm

Mc-o wrote:
fendilim wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I don't think it was a move to appease Skiles , I think rob was going to move Tobias for expiring and brought back expiring deals that Skiles wanted but the fact we didn't get a first regardless of reason is on rob and company

i dont think moving Harris was done to appease Harris per se, i do believe that package was what was preferred for Skiles and Hennigan took it to let Skiles live or die by it, considering that it didnt have long term consequences.
Mc-o
Veteran
And1: 1,507

Post#32 » by Mc-o » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:16 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Mc-o wrote:
fendilim wrote:Actually, it wasnt SVG alone who commented on it, but Redick as well, was quite in an agreement with how it was a steal for the Pistons.

i dont think moving Harris was done to appease Harris per se, i do believe that package was what was preferred for Skiles and Hennigan took it to let Skiles live or die by it, considering that it didnt have long term consequences.

Yeah u may be rt !! Can't wait for his season to start already!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#33 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:29 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Mc-o wrote:
fendilim wrote:Actually, it wasnt SVG alone who commented on it, but Redick as well, was quite in an agreement with how it was a steal for the Pistons.

People around here think so little of the value a man has for his own career.

Skiles isn't Pop. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt if things go wrong.

Owners can be understanding during a rebuilding process but that only lasts so long and Henny is approaching that deadline. How can anyone honestly believe he would jeopardize his career for the sake of Skiles? Letting Skiles live or die by the decision has an impact on Henny as well.

Yes, we traded Harris for players Skiles was familiar with. But we also traded him to a team with a president our organization is familiar with. To me, this wasn't about Skiles this was simply a path of least resistance for Henny to shed Harris for the expiring contracts he wanted.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#34 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:39 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Mc-o wrote:I don't think it was a move to appease Skiles , I think rob was going to move Tobias for expiring and brought back expiring deals that Skiles wanted but the fact we didn't get a first regardless of reason is on rob and company

Owners can be understanding during a rebuilding process but that only lasts so long and Henny is approaching that deadline. How can anyone honestly believe he would jeopardize his career for the sake of Skiles? Letting Skiles live or die by the decision has an impact on Henny as well.

Yes, we traded Harris for players Skiles was familiar with. But we also traded him to a team with a president our organization is familiar with. To me, this wasn't about Skiles this was simply a path of least resistance for Henny to shed Harris for the expiring contracts he wanted.

If Hennigan just wanted expirings instead of Harris, he wouldn't of signed him to a near max deal in the offseason and would of just signed the next round of Willie Greens and Ben Gordons. Your opinion makes no sense. Skiles and his buddies in management clearly had some influence on Harris getting dumped for Skiles' Milwaukee trash. It's no coincidence.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#35 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:55 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

If Hennigan just wanted expirings instead of Harris, he wouldn't of signed him to a near max deal in the offseason and would of just signed the next round of Willie Greens and Ben Gordons. Your opinion makes no sense. Skiles and his buddies in management clearly had some influence on Harris getting dumped for Skiles' Milwaukee trash. It's no coincidence.

He gave the kid a chance and finally came around to see what I saw from day 1... Harris just doesn't have anothe gear in him.

Players are traded for expiring deals all the time. If my argument made no sense then the term "expiring contract" likely wouldn't exists as it itself would hold no value and we would exclusively speak in terms of "contract years."

I fully agree that the deal we made with whom we made it with and the players for which we made it all add up to something too familiar to be a coincidence. That doesn't means Henny put his neck on the line for the sake of Skiles. I believe it is was these facts that made it the easiest trade to get done where we walked away with our hands clean.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#36 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:04 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

He gave the kid a chance and finally came around to see what I saw from day 1... Harris just doesn't have anothe gear in him.

Players are traded for expiring deals all the time. If my argument made no sense then the term "expiring contract" likely wouldn't exists as it itself would hold no value and we would exclusively speak in terms of "contract years."

I fully agree that the deal we made with whom we made it with and the players for which we made it all add up to something too familiar to be a coincidence. That doesn't means Henny put his neck on the line for the sake of Skiles. I believe it is was these facts that made it the easiest trade to get done where we walked away with our hands clean.

except that he didnt "give the kid a chance". He actually reduced his role and Harris actually did a bit more dirty work and concentrated hard on defense and was playing probably the best defense of his career. but no, he didnt give him a chance, he reduced everyones role on the team except for Fournier.

And i believe that Hennigan could have made his point to Martins and ownership that he may not believe in this deal, but facilitated it to show Martins/Skiles/DeVos that he should be the directing voice in the development of the team, not Skiles/Martins. thats just what i believe.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#37 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:07 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
OrlandoNed wrote:If Hennigan just wanted expirings instead of Harris, he wouldn't of signed him to a near max deal in the offseason and would of just signed the next round of Willie Greens and Ben Gordons. Your opinion makes no sense. Skiles and his buddies in management clearly had some influence on Harris getting dumped for Skiles' Milwaukee trash. It's no coincidence.

except that he didnt "give the kid a chance". He actually reduced his role and Harris actually did a bit more dirty work and concentrated hard on defense and was playing probably the best defense of his career. but no, he didnt give him a chance, he reduced everyones role on the team except for Fournier.

What we see in live game action is only a very small part of what coaches and GMs see. Playing time isn't everything.

You can see enough in practice to know this guy isn't someone we want around long term.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#38 » by NavalAviator94 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Let's look at this logically for a moment. Hennigan is no dummy and I'm sure that he had plans to maximize the value of Harris if possible. Additionally, timing plays a big part of opportunity as well.

1. I'm sure Hennigan was searching for a first round pick. However, with the news/number of the salary cap going up, those pic's
became significantly more valuable under the current CBA. We just didn't see teams being free with pic's like we had seen in the
past. Mark Cuban said we won't be trading a first round pick unless "it's a deal good enough that they would fire the other general
manager for making it."

2. As a team that is trying to win free agents, you have to show players we are willing to treat them right. Rob has done a good job at treating players right. He's also been smart to make deals with teams that may make no sense from the outside but they begin to establish relationships with other GM's. Those relationships matter. It's one of the reasons that makes Danny Ainge so good.

3. When Tobias became irrelevant to our growth I am sure we turned every rock over. I am 100% positive that after searching for the right deal that included a pic, he had to look at other options IF he wanted to have his salary off the books going into FA. Tobias going to Detroit was great for Tobias but it also returned us 2 players we needed on expiring deals with bird rights. We all hoped that Jennings would begin to bounce back and be the scoring punch we needed in front of or behind Elf. Ersan gave us a solid veteran stretch 4 but more importantly had a great contract for other deals. Honestly, it was a good trade for both sides. Sure we would have liked the pick but I don't think it was coming, especially from Detroit. Detroit of all teams was going to be capped out pretty soon and they want those pic's as FA aren't exactly falling over themselves to go to Detroit. I believe Orlando is pretty attractive and will be even more so as we put a better team on the floor. Cap Space is a little more valuable to us.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#39 » by tiderulz » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:26 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

What we see in live game action is only a very small part of what coaches and GMs see. Playing time isn't everything.

You can see enough in practice to know this guy isn't someone we want around long term.

:-? why exactly is that? what was wrong with him? team player, played outside his role, didnt complain to the media about role, big community involvement.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#40 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:31 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Then why did Hennigan sign Harris to a 4 year max deal if he "isn't a guy we want around long term"?

Skiles didn't give Harris a chance just as he didn't give him one with the Bucks. Harris only got one when he got away from that stubborn hardass. Easy for you to say that he doesn't have another gear when Skiles had him at his lowest usage rating since his rookie year. Skiles has proven he doesn't know and doesn't care to know how to use Harris as a player. SVG is an elite coach who does and had his team on an even higher win rate after acquiring him. I think I'll stick with the elite coach's evaluation of Harris instead of the unemployed one.

Return to Orlando Magic