ImageImageImageImage

The IR

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,379

The IR 

Post#121 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 am

Def Swami wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Fournier returned to action from his right heel contusion on January 4th against the Atlanta Hawks. He came off the bench and played 30 minutes. He finished with 14 points on 6/14 shooting. Since that game, he hasn't looked healthy. Several fans and media members have noticed Fournier favoring his right foot, not planting it completely on jump shots, and attacking the rim much less. In the 5 games he played since returning to action he his production has tumbled from his season average to 11.8 ppg while shooting a lowly 36.1% from the field.

Fournier himself acknowledged that he hasn't been himself since returning. "I was compensating a lot, so now it’s more than just the heel," Fournier said. "It’s just the bottom of the foot, period. It’s frustrating, man. I could probably keep playing like this, but it’s not getting any better and I’m playing [at] like 60 percent [of my ability]."

Using other parts of your body or limbs to compensate for a weakness is a common response to injury. However, athletes usually do not return to play from a heel contusion until the pain has completely subsided to avoid causing further damage to the heel bone and to prevent other injuries due to compensation. It's likely that his initial injury was improving, but was never 100% free of pain. He played a few games on a sore heel while placing extra pressure on his forefoot, leading to what may be a stress fracture. The team hasn't called it that, but when Fournier says "it's just the bottom of the foot", it makes me think he suffered a different injury than the initial heel contusion.

The Magic placed Fournier back on the IR on January 14th and missed the game against the Utah Jazz. He will also miss tonight's game against the Denver Nuggets. The Magic are better served letting Fournier sit out the rest of the road trip and re-evaluating him in Orlando.

How long do you think we can expect him out? I'm really starting to think that Evan might miss a chunk of games here. The fact that he tried to comeback and couldn't makes me think this is more serious than they are letting on. He didn't look even close to himself those few games he came back and played. If it was a stress fracture couldn't he potentially miss the rest of the season?

Severity of the initial injury is hard to assess based on what was given. What's clear is he was playing with pain in that heel. It sounds like he made another injury in the same foot in addition to the heel contusion. The Magic haven't clarified the exact injury or the severity. Haven't seen it anywhere, but if he's spotted in crutches, that may mean he had a stress fracture. Not uncommon to be non-weight bearing until completely pain free. If it really is a stress fracture (not saying it is, just speculating the worst case with the little information they've given), it could be 6-8 weeks. But I'm not ready to declare that given how little we know about the injury. Have a feeling we just won't know more until they return to Orlando.

Okay thanks for the explanation. Even if he doesn't have a stress fracture yet it sounds like it's best for him to sit for some time so one doesn't occur. He definitely doesn't look right yet
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Re: The IR 

Post#122 » by Def Swami » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:50 am

Jodie Meeks suffered a dislocated thumb on his right hand tonight against the Pelicans.
Orlando Magic PR @Magic_PR
INJURY UPDATE:

Jodie Meeks - dislocated right thumb. X-rays negative...will not return tonight at New Orleans.

Josh Robbins ‏@JoshuaBRobbins
Jodie Meeks will have an MRI on his dislocated right thumb tomorrow, Meeks and Frank Vogel said.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,135

Post#123 » by rcklsscognition » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:23 am

Def Swami wrote:Jodie Meeks suffered a dislocated thumb on his right hand tonight against the Pelicans.
INJURY UPDATE:

Jodie Meeks - dislocated right thumb. X-rays negative...will not return tonight at New Orleans.

Jodie Meeks will have an MRI on his dislocated right thumb tomorrow, Meeks and Frank Vogel said.

http://fansided.com/2016/10/10/pistons-reggie-jackson-6-8-weeks-sprained-thumb/

2-4 weeks or more for Jodie? Or is this a pop it back in and suck it up?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#124 » by Def Swami » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:28 am

rcklsscognition wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Jodie Meeks suffered a dislocated thumb on his right hand tonight against the Pelicans.
INJURY UPDATE:

http://fansided.com/2016/10/10/pistons-reggie-jackson-6-8-weeks-sprained-thumb/

2-4 weeks or more for Jodie? Or is this a pop it back in and suck it up?

Honestly, hard to say. At best, it can be a pop it back and suck it up situation. But depending on how bad it was and whether there was any structural damage, it could be anywhere from 1-6 weeks. We'll find out after the MRI if there was any structural damage.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#125 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:41 am

Jodie Meeks injured his right thumb in the third quarter of last night's loss to the New Orleans Pelicans. He injured the thumb while attempting to steal the ball from Anthony Davis, but instead his thumb smacked in to Davis' knee. He immediately grabbed his thumb and walked off the court. He didn't return to the game and x-rays were negative for any fractures. However, an MRI conducted today revealed that he has two sprained ligaments in his hand. He doesn't require surgery, but he'll likely miss the next 4-6 weeks, according to Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel. As I mentioned above, because of the structural damage, this is going to be a longer recovery for Meeks.
Read on Twitter

The Magic are running thin at shooting guard. Evan Fournier continues to be out with a right foot injury. Robbins also writes that "Fournier's return is not imminent."
“It’s really, really frustrating,” Fournier said after the loss to New Orleans. “I don’t sleep at night right now, and there’s nothing I can do. So my focus right now is on getting better because that’s the only thing I can control.”

Fournier said he receives treatment twice a day.

“Anything that has a chance to help me recover — we’re going to do it,” Fournier said.

But his recovery has been slow-going.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/magic-basketblog/os-sp-orlando-magic-jodie-meeks-0120-story.html

I mentioned in a previous post that I suspected that Fournier played through a right heel contusion that never fully healed leading him to compensate for the weakness with extra pressure on the rest of the foot causing a possible stress fracture. Given the report that his return is not imminent, that he receives some sort of therapy twice a day, and that recovery is coming along slowly makes me further believe that is the case. The Magic still have not clarified the specifics of the injury.

In my opinion, the Magic really turned an ant hill into a mole mound with Fournier's injury. This is a huge risk with bringing athletes back from a heel contusion before the player is completely pain free. He played through pain for 5 games, and it was quite obvious he was favoring his right foot. As soon as it was apparent, whether that was practice or game, the Magic needed to sit him.

Something that team physicians and trainers have told me is that they're often under pressure from managers, coaches, and players (who are all inherently competitive warriors) to clear players as soon as possible. Given the intense pressure that the Magic are under to make the playoffs and win games and Fournier's competitive spirit, I don't doubt there was an urgency to get Fournier back on the court as soon as possible, especially considering the team's margin for error is so small. Despite how some feel about Fournier's contributions, he is the team's leading scorer, best option at shooting guard, and his absence contributes to our dearth of depth. I believe the Magic have had both Serge Ibaka and Bismack Biyombo play through their injuries throughout the season as well, whereas if they were on teams with more depth and margin for error, I believe they may have been rested more.

As the playoffs become more and more a distant dream, I anticipate the Magic will begin to become more conservative with their players.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#126 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:52 am

Side note on Aaron Gordon: In a recent post-game interview, when asked about his more assertive play of late, he acknowledged that he's just now feeling 100% recovered from the ankle sprain he suffered before the season.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#127 » by OrlandO » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:57 am

Def Swami wrote:Image
Jodie Meeks injured his right thumb in the third quarter of last night's loss to the New Orleans Pelicans. He injured the thumb while attempting to steal the ball from Anthony Davis, but instead his thumb smacked in to Davis' knee. He immediately grabbed his thumb and walked off the court. He didn't return to the game and x-rays were negative for any fractures. However, an MRI conducted today revealed that he has two sprained ligaments in his hand. He doesn't require surgery, but he'll likely miss the next 4-6 weeks, according to Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel. As I mentioned above, because of the structural damage, this is going to be a longer recovery for Meeks.
Read on Twitter

The Magic are running thin at shooting guard. Evan Fournier continues to be out with a right foot injury. Robbins also writes that "Fournier's return is not imminent."
“It’s really, really frustrating,” Fournier said after the loss to New Orleans. “I don’t sleep at night right now, and there’s nothing I can do. So my focus right now is on getting better because that’s the only thing I can control.”

“Anything that has a chance to help me recover — we’re going to do it,” Fournier said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/magic-basketblog/os-sp-orlando-magic-jodie-meeks-0120-story.html

I mentioned in a previous post that I suspected that Fournier played through a right heel contusion that never fully healed leading him to compensate for the weakness with extra pressure on the rest of the foot causing a possible stress fracture. Given the report that his return is not imminent, that he receives some sort of therapy twice a day, and that recovery is coming along slowly makes me further believe that is the case. The Magic still have not clarified the specifics of the injury.

In my opinion, the Magic really turned an ant hill into a mole mound with Fournier's injury. This is a huge risk with bringing athletes back from a heel contusion before the player is completely pain free. He played through pain for 5 games, and it was quite obvious he was favoring his right foot. As soon as it was apparent, whether that was practice or game, the Magic needed to sit him.

Something that team physicians and trainers have told me is that they're often under pressure from managers, coaches, and players (who are all inherently competitive warriors) to clear players as soon as possible. Given the intense pressure that the Magic are under to make the playoffs and win games and Fournier's competitive spirit, I don't doubt there was an urgency to get Fournier back on the court as soon as possible, especially considering the team's margin for error is so small. Despite how some feel about Fournier's contributions, he is the team's leading scorer, best option at shooting guard, and his absence contributes to our dearth of depth. I believe the Magic have had both Serge Ibaka and Bismack Biyombo play through their injuries throughout the season as well, whereas if they were on teams with more depth and margin for error, I believe they may have been rested more.

As the playoffs become more and more a distant dream, I anticipate the Magic will begin to become more conservative with their players.

So you're still saying fournier might have a stress fracture? Does that mean you think they're hiding it from the public?
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#128 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:07 am

OrlandO wrote:
Read on Twitter

So you're still saying fournier might have a stress fracture? Does that mean you think they're hiding it from the public?

That's my speculation, but I'm cautious to go all in without actually seeing the data that the Magic trainers and docs see. It's a personal opinion based on my experience and what little information we're given through the media.

With regard to your latter question, I honestly can't say one way or the other. Over the last few years, I have always felt the Magic have been really ambiguous with the way they've classified injuries and defining return to play timelines, like they're doing now with Fournier. Not sure the motive of it for them.

It could very well be that the Magic aren't sure if it is a stress fracture. Most times, you can diagnose a stress fracture based on a history and physical exam. Sometimes you can see it on x-ray, but frequently it doesn't show up on imaging until a month out. It could be that the Magic are in that grey zone. Based on the history of Fournier's injury, I speculate he may have triggered a stress fracture. I can't say for sure but when Robbins says Fournier's return is not imminent, makes me think this is definitely more than a simple heel contusion.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#129 » by OrlandO » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:12 am

Def Swami wrote:
OrlandO wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's my speculation, but I'm cautious to go all in without actually seeing the data that the Magic trainers and docs see. It's a personal opinion based on my experience and what little information we're given through the media.

With regard to your latter question, I honestly can't say one way or the other. Over the last few years, I have always felt the Magic have been really ambiguous with the way they've classified injuries and defining return to play timelines, like they're doing now with Fournier. Not sure the motive of it for them.

It could very well be that the Magic aren't sure if it is a stress fracture. Most times, you can diagnose a stress fracture based on a history and physical exam. Sometimes you can see it on x-ray, but frequently it doesn't show up on imaging until a month out. It could be that the Magic are in that grey zone. Based on the history of Fournier's injury, I speculate he may have triggered a stress fracture. I can't say for sure but when Robbins says Fournier's return is not imminent, makes me think this is definitely more than a simple heel contusion.

Ahh, ok, didn't realize in some cases it takes that long to discover a fracture. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#130 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:03 am

Robbins very much making this Fournier thing sound like more than we are being told. Great inside by our doc given the info we have.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#131 » by Def Swami » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:16 pm

C.J. Wilcox is not available to play since he's trying to recover from knee/ankle tendinitis. Jodie Meeks & Evan Fournier also are injured.
rcklsscognition
RealGM

Post#132 » by rcklsscognition » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Def Swami wrote:
C.J. Wilcox is not available to play since he's trying to recover from knee/ankle tendinitis. Jodie Meeks & Evan Fournier also are injured.

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#133 » by Def Swami » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:14 pm

No time table set for DJ Augustin's return, but can expect it to be at least 2 weeks and most likely more than that depending on the severity of his sprain.

Evan Fournier remains out indefinitely. He did not practice with the team today.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#134 » by OrlandoDream » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Def Swami wrote:No time table set for DJ Augustin's return, but can expect it to be at least 2 weeks and most likely more than that depending on the severity of his sprain.

Evan Fournier remains out indefinitely. He did not practice with the team today.

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#135 » by Def Swami » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Updates:

DJ Augustin sprained his right ankle Sunday during the Magic's loss to the Warriors. He suffered the injury after stepping on Bismack Biyombo's foot in the 2nd quarter. He was able to walk off the court, gingerly, on his own power and did not return. He missed last night's game and no time table has been set for his return. Luckily, it does not appear that there was any structural damage to his ankle; x-rays were negative and an MRI done on Monday came back clear as well. He's currently listed as day-to-day.

Jodie Meeks' injury is a more puzzling situation. After dislocating his right thumb during last Wednesday's loss to the Pelicans, x-rays were negative for any fractures and an MRI conducted revealed that he suffered two sprained ligaments. As a result, it was expected that Meeks would heal in 4-6 weeks with non-surgical treatment, which usually involves immobilizing the injured thumb with a cast or splint for 4-6 weeks until the pain, tenderness, and swelling is completely gone.

Yesterday, GM Rob Hennigan announced that Jodie Meeks underwent surgery to repair the injured thumb. During a follow up exam, it was determined that surgery would in fact be necessary for Meeks. He will be out indefinitely and his return will depend on how he responds to rehabilitation. From my knowledge, Meeks will likely remain in a short arm cast or splint for the next 6-8 weeks. His return will likely come some time after that depending on how he responds to rehabilitation.

From my knowledge, most sprains can be treated non-surgically. Surgery is usually reserved for severe partial or complete tears of the ligament; the ligament breaks away from the bone and surgery involves re-attaching them together. Instead of a sprain, my impression is Meeks suffered a nasty tear of his ligament. What's puzzling to me is how this was a question after doing the MRI. I don't have a lot of experience with these injuries or images, but I would imagine that a torn ligament is quite apparent on MRI. I'm not sure why there was ambiguity here.

No further updates regarding Evan Fournier. He missed last night's game and the Magic still have not offered a timetable for his return.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#136 » by drsd » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:46 pm

The Orlando Magic might have an injured player back on the floor in time for Sunday night’s game against the Toronto Raptors.

Evan Fournier, Orlando’s leading scorer, practiced with his teammates Saturday for the first time since he aggravated a stubborn right-heel injury.

YES!!!

O-Sen: Orlando Magic's Evan Fournier returns to practice

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#137 » by Def Swami » Wed Feb 8, 2017 4:24 am

Hopefully nothing serious. We'll find out more tomorrow. Don't like that he's in a walking boot, but hopefully just precaution. Surprised x-rays weren't done tonight.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#138 » by Def Swami » Thu Feb 9, 2017 3:49 am

Aaron Gordon is day-to-day and QUESTIONABLE for tomorrow night's game against the Sixers.
Read on Twitter

"Bone bruise" is good news. It's unclear what may have caused it. A particular incident doesn't really stick out to me for when he could have hurt the right foot, but it could also be a reaction to normal wear and tear. Luckily it's not the dreaded Jones fracture, which would have ended his season. However, the bone isn't really specified and could change how he's managed. Like for Fournier's bone bruise,the Magic should be cautious with Gordon and wait until he is completely pain free before having him return or risk creating a more severe or different injury.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#139 » by Def Swami » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:05 pm

CJ Watson is still ailing from a strained achilles he suffered last week. He won't play tonight.
Josh RobbinsVerified account‏@JoshuaBRobbins
C.J. Watson (strained Achilles) will not play tonight, Frank Vogel said.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#140 » by Def Swami » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:19 pm

John Denton ‏@JohnDenton555
.@OrlandoMagic coach Frank Vogel said team is considering signing a PG to a 10-day contract with CJ Watson (Achilles' strain) out injured.

Josh RobbinsVerified @JoshuaBRobbins
With C.J. Watson (Achilles) out for at least another week, the Magic have discussed signing a point guard to a 10-day contract.

Return to Orlando Magic