ImageImageImageImage

Game 33: Memphis Grizzlies (20-12) @ Orlando Magic (14-18) - 7:00 PM ET

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: Game 33: Memphis Grizzlies (20-12) @ Orlando Magic (14-18) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#421 » by OrlandO » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:44 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Dennis Reynolds wrote:So Fournier out for 2 games and we blow both opponents out even though we had what, 1 blowout? in previous 30 games?
Color me shocked!

Could Evan secretly be the tank commander?

or Jodie Meeks really is "the savior"
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Post#422 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:Other things i noticed:

AG was playing SG late 3rd quarter, thought that was interesting.

Payton seems like he is finally figuring out he can be a bully PG with his size and strength and speed. I wanted him to play like this since his rookie year but this month he is doing it consistently. That floater is a huge weapon.

We need to get Troy Daniels on this team. It doesn't matter what team he is in he kills us every time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app

We should have signed Lou Williams, 18.7 ppg off the bench. This guy can flat out score.

What kind of contract did he sign this offseason? If he got a multiyear contract Rob prob did not want that.
aka: prorl
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Post#423 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Patrick1978 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

Payton seems like he is finally figuring out he can be a bully PG with his size and strength and speed. I wanted him to play like this since his rookie year but this month he is doing it consistently. That floater is a huge weapon.

We need to get Troy Daniels on this team. It doesn't matter what team he is in he kills us every time.

Yup.... loving the addition of that extra physicality and that floater. His play is definitely looking so much better and the confidence is swelling!

and AG at shooting guard was a shocker. Was following the game on my phone and was taken back by that lineup!

Really?gordon at sg?interesting
What was the rest of the lineup?

Think it was

Vuc
Ibaka
Green
AG
Payton
aka: prorl
CajunBall
Junior
And1: 233

Post#424 » by CajunBall » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:17 pm

Instincts wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Instincts wrote:Nope they don't suck. More importantly we are seeing potential and hard work turn into results on the floor. Even as a big advocate of AG and EP, we still have to see the progress and both continue to get better, that is always the big question with young players and can't be taken for granted.

And with these two, the biggest question was the jump shot. The game is slowing down for them and the jump shots are looking improved and confident.

Just saw AG post game interview, absolutely love his demeanor, so humble, so team oriented, and so not satisfied or overwhelmed with one thirty point night. Sky is the limit.
I hate bursting bubbles I really do, but if we're banking on AG and EP to win games for us offensively then we're in trouble and will lose most games. We need to get Evan back because the likelihood of us winning consistently with those two as our offensive cogs is slim imo. Payton is playing well off the bench and I attribute that to playing against second units which gets his game going imo. Although I don't want them to change anything atm (Unless of course we're trading for an elite player) I'm morbidly curious to see what happens to Paytons production if we start him again.

Optimus_Steel wrote:I don't agree with the narrative that Evan is a selfish ball stopper.

He's not a selfish ball stopper. That's a narrative the Payton fans invented because he takes the ball out of Paytons hands which he should do being our best player by a mile.

You are going to be pleasantly surprised. While we can't expect EP and AG to carry the team offensively every night at this stage in their career, we can expect that they keep improving, and in year three that improvement is resulting in a streak of offensive breakout games for each in the last several weeks. The veterans were brought in to establish a consistency and leadership as EP and AG continue to develop and take more and more of the load over the next several years.

How anyone can attribute Payton's recent success simply to playing against second units is kind of crazy to me. The guy is a bench player in title only. The only thing Augustin has over him at this point is the honor of having his name called at the beginning of the game. Payton gets significantly more playing time which means a good portion of his success is in fact coming against other teams first units.

Seems he can't any credit from some people and if he manages to get at least some, it's always tempered by some "yeah but" remark.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,598

Post#425 » by SOUL » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Yeah, it's a huge conspiracy from those of us who like Payton. To suggest the ball moves way more with a natural PG who can get to the rim at will is insane. Hoo-boy, this tinfoil on my head feels comfy baby!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,598

Post#426 » by SOUL » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:52 pm

Also Fournier is a ball stopper. It literally stops with him. Now, that's not as bad as a black hole (ie: Big Baby, Willie Green, Arron Afflalo) -- but Evan is known to rely on the two-man game and when he turns his back to half of the court, you know it's not going to go that way.

That isn't to say he's not needed in the offense. He's still one of our best offensive weapons. He just isn't what makes the offense tick. There's a difference there.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#427 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:24 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

We should have signed Lou Williams, 18.7 ppg off the bench. This guy can flat out score.

What kind of contract did he sign this offseason? If he got a multiyear contract Rob prob did not want that.

3 year deal signed in July 2015
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#428 » by nymets1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:27 pm

Fournier might miss Wednesday's game as well

www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1983/evan-fournier

Evan Fournier (right heel contusion) is listed as questionable for Wednesday's game vs. Charlotte.
Fournier has missed two straight games with this heel issue. Jodie Meeks started in place of Fournier on Monday and scored 13 points (5-of-8 shooting and 3-of5 from downtown) in 29 minutes. C.J. Watson was scoreless (0-for-4) in 20 minutes off the bench. Meeks would likely start once again on Wednesday is Fournier does not play Dec 27 - 12:44 PM
Source: NBA.com

My hope is Fournier doesn't play and we get a 3rd consecutive game without him and see if our team continues to respond well without him. I'm assuming the Magic executives/ coaching staff, etc just like us on here see how much better the team is responding without Fournier. When Fournier comes back, he's been exposed. Somehow someway the Magic will give him minutes but his role cannot be the primary scorer or primary ball handler. He should come off the bench and not stop our ball movement. We are going to have to get him better and when Fournier play on the court is better, than he'll have trade value and than we try to get the approriate trade but no team wants Fournier right now.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Post#429 » by basketballRob » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:37 pm

nymets1 wrote:Fournier might miss Wednesday's game as well

www.rotoworld.com/player/nba/1983/evan-fournier

Evan Fournier (right heel contusion) is listed as questionable for Wednesday's game vs. Charlotte.
Fournier has missed two straight games with this heel issue. Jodie Meeks started in place of Fournier on Monday and scored 13 points (5-of-8 shooting and 3-of5 from downtown) in 29 minutes. C.J. Watson was scoreless (0-for-4) in 20 minutes off the bench. Meeks would likely start once again on Wednesday is Fournier does not play Dec 27 - 12:44 PM
Source: NBA.com

My hope is Fournier doesn't play and we get a 3rd consecutive game without him and see if our team continues to respond well without him. I'm assuming the Magic executives/ coaching staff, etc just like us on here see how much better the team is responding without Fournier. When Fournier comes back, he's been exposed. Somehow someway the Magic will give him minutes but his role cannot be the primary scorer or primary ball handler. He should come off the bench and not stop our ball movement. We are going to have to get him better and when Fournier play on the court is better, than he'll have trade value and than we try to get the approriate trade but no team wants Fournier right now.

MKG is a tough matchup for him anyway, he manhandles Fournier.
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#430 » by sportsrock37 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:Great win. First game I got to watch this season, start to finish, live.

AG - I see you. Still a believer in the SF experiment.

Elf - may buy your jersey. I'm ignoring the rumors and think you and AG are teammates for another 5 years.

Mario, Mario, Mario. Hate the body language, but Vogel said something interesting in his presser. When asked about seeing Elf and AG development produce on the floor, he alluded to the strategy of going with developing 2 young guys first, with these vets. As if implying 3 guys at once, would be difficult; so they're focusing on Elf and AG now. Vogel they said, "Mario will have his time". When the first 2 are ballin' and believing the system, inserting Mario won't disrupt their growth and they can start to help him develop.

I heard that comment too, wasn't brought up in the question or anything. "Mario will have his time". I definitely trust Vogel and Forcier that they know what they are doing, which is why I was so adamant early in the season about giving this brand new unit a chance to gel under the new coaching staff before writing them off.

I still think Mario is part of the future of this team and it's frustrating for him and us obviously at this point, but I can't see him just being a throw in on a trade. There's a reason why Vogel wants Mario close to the team rather than sending him down to the D-League. They are slowly developing him. I just wish we would see better body language from him when he does get into games.
Florida Gator Alum
Orlando Magic
Atlanta Braves
Washington Redskins
Washington Capitals

@badamsufl
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#431 » by BCS » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:14 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Yup.... loving the addition of that extra physicality and that floater. His play is definitely looking so much better and the confidence is swelling!

and AG at shooting guard was a shocker. Was following the game on my phone and was taken back by that lineup!

Really?gordon at sg?interesting
What was the rest of the lineup?

Think it was

Vuc
Ibaka
Green
AG
Payton

I've been surprised how well that lineup has worked. AG has the ability to guard that position and on the other hand he can post up his smaller defender creating many opportunities for us.

The only thing I worry about is if we do this more often the other teams will get smarter and start pressuring the heck out of the ball handler which is what I would do, idk how that lineup would handle that.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#432 » by Furinkazan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:26 pm

amazing game even a grouchy smurf like myslef needs to admit it

ehh what would I give to watch us playing such basketball on a nightly basis
this game lands on my hard drive storage
CraZyPraiZ
Starter
And1: 700

Post#433 » by CraZyPraiZ » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:53 pm

Ball movement tonight was insane. Maybe Evan off the bench?
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#434 » by woosah » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:05 am

LOL. Y'all crack me up.

Last season we said the same thing about Vic and Elf, and he was better playing with Evan. It (the ball) moved then. Evan took the lead with the ball because coach told him to early on. I remember early in the season FV said in an post game something about wanting the ball in Evan's hands more, and Elf got bench not far after. I think he can call Evan off now that EP is not struggling. Nothing like a benching to get you to get the point if you need to. Evan can play with Elfrid i think.

Wow AG looking good. I mean after almost a full season of frustration with the injury and being out, and then last year's mess, he seems to be showing signs of life now. Just keep progressing Aaron. Trust the work

Hey Skiles, Elfy say wassup!!!!!!
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#435 » by Catledge » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:17 am

It seems clear to me that the two most important factors driving Payton's improved play are 1) rim finishing and 2) shooting. I can see an argument for the rim finishing being largely a product of playing against second units, but an open shot is an open shot. He has started hitting them. Even if it's just a streak, it shows that he can at least get hot for a significant stretch of games.

I think this recent stretch by Payton is a big deal, not something to be dismissed. I'm not saying it's proof positive that he's a superstar, just that it is real evidence that he is getting better.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,447

Post#436 » by Bensational » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:04 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Instincts wrote:Nope they don't suck. More importantly we are seeing potential and hard work turn into results on the floor. Even as a big advocate of AG and EP, we still have to see the progress and both continue to get better, that is always the big question with young players and can't be taken for granted.

And with these two, the biggest question was the jump shot. The game is slowing down for them and the jump shots are looking improved and confident.

Just saw AG post game interview, absolutely love his demeanor, so humble, so team oriented, and so not satisfied or overwhelmed with one thirty point night. Sky is the limit.
I hate bursting bubbles I really do, but if we're banking on AG and EP to win games for us offensively then we're in trouble and will lose most games. We need to get Evan back because the likelihood of us winning consistently with those two as our offensive cogs is slim imo. Payton is playing well off the bench and I attribute that to playing against second units which gets his game going imo. Although I don't want them to change anything atm (Unless of course we're trading for an elite player) I'm morbidly curious to see what happens to Paytons production if we start him again.

Optimus_Steel wrote:I don't agree with the narrative that Evan is a selfish ball stopper.

He's not a selfish ball stopper. That's a narrative the Payton fans invented because he takes the ball out of Paytons hands which he should do being our best player by a mile.

Vuc and Fournier provide a level of consistency and reliability which we need right now, but they also seem happy to get out of the way when AG or Elf are blowing up on good nights. I don't see any need to move them.

I agree that Payton is benefitting from starting against 2nd units, finding form, and then being able to carry that over against starters once they're subbed in. I think that's part of Vogel's design.

But I find it interesting that you use that as a means to degrade Elf, but don't seem to acknowledge that a guy you have long touted as our best player (Vuc) has been posting worse numbers than Payton over our last 20 games, and he's also playing against 2nd unit players.

I don't want it to be mistaken that by bringing that up I'm criticising Vuc. I've admitted several times that he's proven to be much more essential than I previously gave him credit for, and I'm pretty steadfastly against trading him. I just thought it was a bit of a double standard you had there for Elf.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#437 » by drsd » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:37 am

nymets1 wrote:My hope is Fournier doesn't play and we get a 3rd consecutive game without him and see if our team continues to respond well without him.

Coach Vogel is quoted that Orlando "needs" Fournier's offense and that he sees him as the greatest weapon.

Basically Orlando has a 9-man rotation:
Augustin/Payton
Fournier/Meeks
Gordon/Green
Ibaka
Biyambo/Vučević

So long as Gordon and Payton's jumpers keep falling, this is a workable team for the Magic to claw back to .500 ball.

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#438 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:53 pm

Bensational wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:

Vuc and Fournier provide a level of consistency and reliability which we need right now, but they also seem happy to get out of the way when AG or Elf are blowing up on good nights. I don't see any need to move them.

I agree that Payton is benefitting from starting against 2nd units, finding form, and then being able to carry that over against starters once they're subbed in. I think that's part of Vogel's design.

But I find it interesting that you use that as a means to degrade Elf, but don't seem to acknowledge that a guy you have long touted as our best player (Vuc) has been posting worse numbers than Payton over our last 20 games, and he's also playing against 2nd unit players.

I don't want it to be mistaken that by bringing that up I'm criticising Vuc
. I've admitted several times that he's proven to be much more essential than I previously gave him credit for, and I'm pretty steadfastly against trading him. I just thought it was a bit of a double standard you had there for Elf.

We weren't talking about Vucevic so in an effort to stay on topic I'll continue discussing Payton.

I wasn't degrading him, I'm stating my curiosity of how he would fare in the starting line up again considering his recent play despite the difference in his play coming off the bench vs starting.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#439 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:17 pm

CajunBall wrote:
Instincts wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:I hate bursting bubbles I really do, but if we're banking on AG and EP to win games for us offensively then we're in trouble and will lose most games. We need to get Evan back because the likelihood of us winning consistently with those two as our offensive cogs is slim imo. Payton is playing well off the bench and I attribute that to playing against second units which gets his game going imo. Although I don't want them to change anything atm (Unless of course we're trading for an elite player) I'm morbidly curious to see what happens to Paytons production if we start him again.

You are going to be pleasantly surprised. While we can't expect EP and AG to carry the team offensively every night at this stage in their career, we can expect that they keep improving, and in year three that improvement is resulting in a streak of offensive breakout games for each in the last several weeks. The veterans were brought in to establish a consistency and leadership as EP and AG continue to develop and take more and more of the load over the next several years.

How anyone can attribute Payton's recent success simply to playing against second units is kind of crazy to me. The guy is a bench player in title only. The only thing Augustin has over him at this point is the honor of having his name called at the beginning of the game. Payton gets significantly more playing time which means a good portion of his success is in fact coming against other teams first units.

Seems he can't any credit from some people and if he manages to get at least some, it's always tempered by some "yeah but" remark.

Not a single person said he's only playing against second units. If you re read my post you'll see that I said it's allowing him to get his game going. Since we all watch the games, I didn't see a need to point out that its obviously translating over the course of the game where its clear that he plays against starters and often times closes out games. The statistical evidence points to him playing worse as a starter vs coming off the bench, however, and while I don't see a need for a change in the rotation, I'd be curious to see how he plays as a starter again considering his recent play.

I said it a million times in the offseason. If their intent is to start Bismack then Payton is either moved or he's coming off the bench in favor of a PG that can shoot. I predicted that when we signed him and It came into fruition. The issues Ive always pointed to are lack of an outside shot and consistency. If he can continue to improve on those things as a starter then I think they can coexist.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#440 » by nymets1 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:33 pm

When Fournier comes back, eyes will be on him. Has anybody here noticed when Fournier was playing how we did with Fournier on the court vs OFF the court? Obviously we have played better when Fournier has missed the 2 games. When Fournier does come back, We need to pay attention to how things are going with him on the court vs him off the court.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"

Return to Orlando Magic