ImageImageImageImage

Magic turned down deal for Cousins early in the season?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Re: Magic turned down deal for Cousins early in the season? 

Post#221 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:Quick question for the board...well the ones saying it wouldn't be worth it to get Boogie for a year and a half with the hopes of adding additional pieces to convince him to stay. Why were you defending the move for Ibaka knowing we only had him guaranteed for this season? I ask this with the assumption that we could have dealt for Boogie earlier in the season when we weren't necessarily headed for a Top 5 pick. I'm really just curious as to why you were pro-Ibaka rental but against adding Boogie to the team with Ibaka.

Because, when things don't go our way, we have to create reasons why we would rather not do them in the first place.

I would say that Cousins has a mercurial attitude and this is a team that like Sac is dysfuntional and not going to the playoffs any time soon so the likelyhood of Cousins going AWOL are rather large, so then we are looking a trading him to some playoff caliber team to appease him. If we had a star here already then it would be a completely different story.
aka: prorl
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#222 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
JAY DASH wrote:Quick question for the board...well the ones saying it wouldn't be worth it to get Boogie for a year and a half with the hopes of adding additional pieces to convince him to stay. Why were you defending the move for Ibaka knowing we only had him guaranteed for this season? I ask this with the assumption that we could have dealt for Boogie earlier in the season when we weren't necessarily headed for a Top 5 pick. I'm really just curious as to why you were pro-Ibaka rental but against adding Boogie to the team with Ibaka.

Because, when things don't go our way, we have to create reasons why we would rather not do them in the first place.

I would say that Cousins has a mercurial attitude and this is a team that like Sac is dysfuntional and not going to the playoffs any time soon so the likelyhood of Cousins going AWOL are rather large, so then we are looking a trading him to some playoff caliber team to appease him. If we had a star here already then it would be a completely different story.

So, what you are saying is we will never get a star unless we get extremely lucky with very low odds to win one in the Lottery.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#223 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 pm

You also have to wonder if the Allstar game was played here instead of NO then Cousins might be here instead. Divac said he went there intent on getting a deal done.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,960

Post#224 » by Xatticus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:52 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

So, what you are saying is we will never get a star unless we get extremely lucky with very low odds to win one in the Lottery.

I think you just do what moves the franchise forward. Stars aren't created just by stat lines, but also by the standings. If the Magic start winning a lot of games, the perceived value of our players will scale up accordingly. The contributions of players on team performance is complex. I don't really buy into this idea that we need to acquire a star (whatever your definition is). If you are running your franchise well, stars will happen. This is where we have failed, but that shouldn't lead to desperation moves that mortgage the future of the franchise for any tarnished "star" that hits the market.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
dirtymike
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#225 » by dirtymike » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
dirtymike wrote:Laker fan living in Orlando here. I come in peace.

The Magic aint going nowhere w/o Cousins. Boogie is EXACTLY what the Magic needed! Noone gives a rat's ass about the Magic, which is my #2 team, and Cousins would've been the right person to take the respect the Magic deserves! Vucevic is a tremendous player and a rebounding machine...but he aint Cousins! I wish that trade would've happened. :(

how long you been in Orlando? Most agree that Cousins would've been a huge get for the Magic, but when you really think about the factors, you understand why it didn't happen.

1. Dan Fegan. No explanation needed.
2. Cousins is high maintenance and a UFA in a year. Dealt with that scenario before and didn't want to deal with it again.
3. Without another star here, or the ability to offer a $200M extension, Boogie would've left. Wasting assets on a rental was another scenario they didn't want to gamble on. If we didn't just deal for Ibaka, I think they would've taken the chance on Boogie. I don't agree but I get it.

Hopefully we can find some diamonds in the draft and cash them in.

Laker fan since '82, lived in the O since '89 (via Jax).
I am pretty sure the Magic would've extended Boogie if they traded for him.
Dan Fegan that bad????
Plan B: Make Plan A work- Dirty Mike
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#226 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:03 pm

dirtymike wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
dirtymike wrote:Laker fan living in Orlando here. I come in peace.

The Magic aint going nowhere w/o Cousins. Boogie is EXACTLY what the Magic needed! Noone gives a rat's ass about the Magic, which is my #2 team, and Cousins would've been the right person to take the respect the Magic deserves! Vucevic is a tremendous player and a rebounding machine...but he aint Cousins! I wish that trade would've happened. :(

how long you been in Orlando? Most agree that Cousins would've been a huge get for the Magic, but when you really think about the factors, you understand why it didn't happen.

1. Dan Fegan. No explanation needed.
2. Cousins is high maintenance and a UFA in a year. Dealt with that scenario before and didn't want to deal with it again.
3. Without another star here, or the ability to offer a $200M extension, Boogie would've left. Wasting assets on a rental was another scenario they didn't want to gamble on. If we didn't just deal for Ibaka, I think they would've taken the chance on Boogie. I don't agree but I get it.

Hopefully we can find some diamonds in the draft and cash them in.

Laker fan since '82, lived in the O since '89 (via Jax).
I am pretty sure the Magic would've extended Boogie if they traded for him.
Dan Fegan that bad????

Ummm.... you do know that Fegan was Dwight's agent, right? :dontknow:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#227 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Xatticus wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

I think you just do what moves the franchise forward. Stars aren't created just by stat lines, but also by the standings. If the Magic start winning a lot of games, the perceived value of our players will scale up accordingly. The contributions of players on team performance is complex. I don't really buy into this idea that we need to acquire a star (whatever your definition is). If you are running your franchise well, stars will happen. This is where we have failed, but that shouldn't lead to desperation moves that mortgage the future of the franchise for any tarnished "star" that hits the market.

We should be actively trying to acquire a star but I am referring to Cousins volatility. He comes from a dysfuntional mess and had he come here he would be coming to another dysfuntional mess. He goes from another team not close to being in the playoff hunt to another in the same boat and I believe his instability would cause him to go nuts here. Normally that would'nt be a deal breaker in terms of acquiring a star for me but Cousins is unstable. Going to NO he wont be the only superstar and they will make the playoffs, too talented not to, so chances are he will be content, where as I cant see that happening here with little talent, no chemistry, questionble direction.
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#228 » by Big A All Day » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Lol at the wiretap saying better offers for cousins feel through. It was probably Rob's lol
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#229 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Big A All Day wrote:Lol at the wiretap saying better offers for cousins feel through. It was probably Rob's lol

It probably was lol. Rob's bad luck continues lol but hey luck is part of the game. Just has not worked out, time to move on Rob.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#230 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:You also have to wonder if the Allstar game was played here instead of NO then Cousins might be here instead. Divac said he went there intent on getting a deal done.

I was thinking the same thing.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach

Post#231 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:08 pm

Xatticus wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

So I was with you until that one line.

If you are running your franchise well, stars will happen

I think that's a ridiculous statement, to be honest. What does it even mean?
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#232 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Xatticus wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:Simple logic tells you that the Kings wanted our first round pick.

Cousins on this team with no supporting cast or real hope to get one would have been a disaster. He would have hated it here.

Yeah, it sucks we didn't get a star player, but I'd rather get a star wing anyway. The good news about this is that its a leak that builds value for Vuc and Evan in a trade that could work better for the Magic long term.

If I was the Magic, I would offer Vuc/Evan/Mario and TOR pick for Paul George. Use that draft pick on the best Point guard available and roll the team out. Give Tross what he was always wanted - an opportunity to start. Let Henny work some more 2nd round magic and grab us another C like Zimm and then sign a PF like Patterson for the bench.

Dennis Smith/Ross/PG13/AG/Biz - playoffs - done. Who wouldn't want to watch that team? That's a lot of talent.

Ross was a starter during his second and third seasons in the league before getting relegated back to a bench role. He has had opportunities to show more, but he is what he is. If there was more to his game, it would've manifested by now.

A lot of things change. I don't necessarily buy into absolutes with NBA players because sometimes they connect better with different players and schemes. Furthermore, in the scenario posted above he would be playing next to a potential all-star PG and a top player in the NBA in George. His second season he shot almost 40% from 3 on a whopping 5 attempts per game.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#233 » by Xatticus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:26 am

RickB-Orlando wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

It means that the designation "star" is highly subjective, but that a team that wins a lot of games will have someone on their roster designated as such. It's a matter of perception. The Hawks won 60 games from nowhere and suddenly Horford's value skyrocketed. Marc Gasol became an elite defensive center when nobody could come up with any other explanation for Memphis' success. Kawhi is considered to be one of the top few players in the NBA because the Spurs roster is underwhelming, but their results are exceptional. Team success creates or legitimizes "stars." Isaiah Thomas still has his detractors, but they are rapidly dwindling since he was traded to a team that is winning.

What makes a legitimate "star" so valuable is that their salary is artificially suppressed by the maximum contract rule, but scoring 20 PPG is just about enough to ensure a player will receive a maximum contract, regardless of their actual contribution to team success. We throw the term around as though it is a boolean absolute. You are or aren't a star. A team does or doesn't have a star. We have difficulty quantifying the impacts of each player on team success, but reductionist reasoning gets you nowhere. You can still get value for the money you spend without acquiring one of those few players whose value so obviously exceeds the CBA's limitations on their compensation. Constructing a roster is far more complex than simply acquiring "stars." This should be really obvious to anyone that recalls Isiah Thomas' tenure in New York.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#234 » by nymets1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:34 am

I'm listening to Skip and Shannon Undisputed on youtube, Chris Broussard talking to Skip and Shannon mentioned that Orlando about a month ago (Gm Rob Hennigan) was shaky, hesistant, about acquiring Boogie for Vuc and Fournier. I don't think anybody brought what Broussard said on Skip and Shannon undisputed so this was brand new when I heard it.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,810

Post#235 » by IllMagic04 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:06 am

Everyone is assuming Fournier and Vuc is all it would take. I don't believe that. The kings were big on Heild and he's on a rookie deal. I believe IF there were talks a more comparable deal is Vuc and our pick or Vuc and AG. Maybe Mario too. Would yall do that? I wouldn't.
Rockzin4
Junior
And1: 182

Post#236 » by Rockzin4 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:42 am

It's hard to visualize a deal or what the Kings wanted because they're so incompetent and illogical. Hell, Hield's ceiling could be Fournier's (who's only a year older than Buddy) current form. Vucevic + another player + plus our current pick is a way more valid trade than Buddy + crap + a crap pick. Who knows with that dumb organization It's going to take a miracle for them to come out of this looking competent.
seren
RealGM
And1: 4,207

Re: RE: Re: Magic turned down deal for Cousins early in the season? 

Post#237 » by seren » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:46 am

DoItALL9 wrote:
seren wrote:If I was Sacramento, I would trade him away. They can't build around him and he will sign a crazy contract very soon. Get what you can for what you can.

Sent from my XT1575 using RealGM mobile app

Do you feel Sacramento made a good trade?

Very bad deal in larger context. Looks to me like a management who did not do their homework at all. Surely, they should have gotten a bigger overhaul. That said, IF this was the only offer available, I would have to pull the trigger. Cousins is a headcase. There were no signs of maturing. Signing that extension would be the end of that team for the next half a decade.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach

Post#238 » by RickB-Orlando » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:48 am

Xatticus wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

It means that the designation "star" is highly subjective, but that a team that wins a lot of games will have someone on their roster designated as such. It's a matter of perception. The Hawks won 60 games from nowhere and suddenly Horford's value skyrocketed. Marc Gasol became an elite defensive center when nobody could come up with any other explanation for Memphis' success. Kawhi is considered to be one of the top few players in the NBA because the Spurs roster is underwhelming, but their results are exceptional. Team success creates or legitimizes "stars." Isaiah Thomas still has his detractors, but they are rapidly dwindling since he was traded to a team that is winning.

What makes a legitimate "star" so valuable is that their salary is artificially suppressed by the maximum contract rule, but scoring 20 PPG is just about enough to ensure a player will receive a maximum contract, regardless of their actual contribution to team success. We throw the term around as though it is a boolean absolute. You are or aren't a star. A team does or doesn't have a star. We have difficulty quantifying the impacts of each player on team success, but reductionist reasoning gets you nowhere. You can still get value for the money you spend without acquiring one of those few players whose value so obviously exceeds the CBA's limitations on their compensation. Constructing a roster is far more complex than simply acquiring "stars." This should be really obvious to anyone that recalls Isiah Thomas' tenure in New York.

So to you, 'Star' is nothing more than an indicator of an economic ratio?

I know that's a very simple reduction of what you've said, nut that is a bit how it reads.

To me star is that player that makes others around them better, that can put a team on their back and carry it during games, every game, when the team is faltering. It's a non-linear attribute that you know when you see it (sort of like porn). The only player on this team that has shown flashes of this quality is Elfrid, which is why so many are critical of him,; it's *because* he has shown flashes of that 'star-ness' that people grumble when he plays 'just OK.'

To me, the one thing it isn't is a factor of paycheck.
Xatticus
Head Coach

Post#239 » by Xatticus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 am

RickB-Orlando wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:

So to you, 'Star' is nothing more than an indicator of an economic ratio?

I know that's a very simple reduction of what you've said, nut that is a bit how it reads.

To me star is that player that makes others around them better, that can put a team on their back and carry it during games, every game, when the team is faltering. It's a non-linear attribute that you know when you see it (sort of like porn). The only player on this team that has shown flashes of this quality is Elfrid, which is why so many are critical of him,; it's *because* he has shown flashes of that 'star-ness' that people grumble when he plays 'just OK.'

To me, the one thing it isn't is a factor of paycheck.

No. I am saying that what qualifies an individual as a "star" is almost entirely arbitrary and subjective. It has little to do with the actual impacts that players have on the outcomes of games, but rather are a function of perceptions. You can't simply impose your will on a game without the quality to back it up. The quality is what makes you competitive, not the perceptions.

What makes the legitimate "stars" so valuable in the current CBA is that they are underpaid. When you are dealing with finite resources (salary cap), that is a massive advantage. We can acquire Jimmy Butler or DeMarcus Cousins for half of our roster. We can pass a referendum to have them officially declared stars. This team is still going to suck if the collective quality of the roster is deficient (see: Chicago Bulls or Sacramento Kings).

The goal is to acquire players that provide a great deal of utility relative to the share of the salary cap that you are committing to them. I don't really care whether they are called "stars" or not. The distribution of utility provided by players is a continuous spectrum, regardless of where you put the cutoff for "star" quality. Having one individual on your roster that sits above the threshold for such a designation certainly doesn't promise success. Fans of this franchise should realize this well enough after watching a Tracy McGrady led team lose 61 games in a single season. Conversely, a team lacking anything resembling a star doesn't necessarily preclude success. Fans that witnessed the heart-and-hustle team defy expectations on the way to 41 wins should know this. The four McGrady led teams that succeeded the heart-and-hustle team won an average of 37.5 games per year. The quality of the roster is what matters.
-pepe1991
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#240 » by OrlandO » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:19 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Orlando Magic