ImageImageImageImage

Dennis Scott Wants to be our next GM

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Dennis Scott Wants to be our next GM 

Post#1 » by PrimeThyme » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Thoughts?
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Re: Dennis Scott Wants to be our next GM 

Post#2 » by OrlDave » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:53 pm

That moment when Dennis Scott equates himself with Magic Johnson.

*For the record I love DScott, I copied his shooting form as a kid, but Magic he is not lol.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#3 » by OrlandO » Tue Mar 7, 2017 7:57 pm

well, can't fault him for trying...
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#4 » by Def Swami » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:01 pm

Myself and others have advocated that this team needs a President of Basketball Operations. I don't believe we have had someone fulfill that role since Bob Vander Weide left. It would be nice to have another experienced basketball mind who has relationships in the league with other GM's, agents, and players in the mold of Pat Riley, Larry Bird, or Doc Rivers. I think Hennigan did an excellent job acquiring assets, but always failed to make the deal to consolidate them into a cohesive team that makes sense. I don't think most of that is for lack of trying, but I think a lot of deals in the NBA happen because of networking and relationships that Hennigan never came in with. Having someone who has been well connected for some time would be helpful.

The appearance is that Alex Martins, who I think has done a lot of great things for the franchise in terms of public relations and business, is the next in line after Rob Hennigan in terms of making basketball decisions before getting to ownership. Given his inexperience with roster management or playing, that simply shouldn't be the case. I'm not sure why he's even in the Draft Day war room.

Dennis Scott makes a good point. There isn't any buzz or excitement around this team. It's one of the last teams League Pass fans want to watch. And that's mainly because there isn't an all-world talent like Shaq, Penny, T-Mac, or Dwight that defined every decade of Magic basketball up to this point. Even without that, there isn't much to be excited about outside of this year's draft pick and I think that perception of the franchise permeates throughout the NBA. A massive culture change is in order and that starts at the top of every successful organization.

Our ownership has been gracious for opening their wallets, but they've made several missteps in hiring people inexperienced for their positions, meddling to close to basketball decision-making, and player management (in the past). The DeVos family isn't going anywhere, but I think the bridge between the GM and the family needs to fortified with more competence and experience. The thing I've noticed about ownership is they like to hire people they trust. They have a history of hiring folks they are comfortable with, including John Weisbrod as GM, Otis Smith as GM, Bob Vander Weide as CEO, re-hiring Brian Hill as coach, hiring Jacque Vaughn as coach, hiring Scott Skiles as coach, Bo Outlaw and Nick Anderson as Ambassadors (no qualms), and of course Alex Martins as CEO.

When the Lakers hired Magic Johnson, I thought it was a weird hire given his background. But, I gave it more thought and realized they hired Rob Pelinka to be the new GM, and realized it's actually not a bad hire at all. I think that's a good relationship to have; a GM who takes care of the nitty gritty player management, scouting, drafting, trades, free agency, and cap management. I also think it helps to have a powerhouse above him to offer advice here and there, use his or her relationships to close deals, attract free agents, and set the cultural tone for the franchise.

I don't know if Scott is a great candidate for that kind of role, but I could see where this could be heading and I wouldn't mind it if an experienced GM was in place as well. Ultimately, that buzz that Scott talks about will return once the Magic acquires top tier talent, and that will still most likely come through the draft and trades. Someone who fits the role I've described that would also be familiar with the DeVos family is Doc Rivers. The Clippers are bound for murky waters with Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, and JJ Redick all hitting free agency this summer and another likely 1st or 2nd round playoff exit. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers was let go by the end of the season and the Clippers decided to go in a different direction. Offering Rivers a Riley like position in Orlando, where he still resides, could be somewhat enticing to him. It's just a thought.

Nevertheless, I while I think 3D may not be the man for the job, he makes some good points that I think the Magic could benefit from.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,769

Post#5 » by OrlandoNed » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:01 pm

OrlDave wrote:That moment when Dennis Scott equates himself with Magic Johnson.

*For the record I love DScott, I copied his shooting form as a kid, but Magic he is not lol.

No ***** he's not Magic Johnson. You do realize he's only saying he wants a similar type of job as Magic and is no way comparing himself to him as a player, right? :noway:
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#6 » by OrlDave » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:08 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
OrlDave wrote:That moment when Dennis Scott equates himself with Magic Johnson.

No ***** he's not Magic Johnson. You do realize he's only saying he wants a similar type of job as Magic and is no way comparing himself to him as a player, right? :noway:

Dude, back off the caffeine. It will all be okay.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#7 » by MagicFan32 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:14 pm

What has Dennis Scott ever done to show he should be running a team? these players make me laugh, they think they can just get up off the couch and run a team without putting in any of the work.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#8 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:20 pm

Well Dennis Scott is not on a couch. He has a full time job with NBA TV and is still very active in the league. So I am not sure he would be so bad. People have already wanted guys like Danny Ferry here.
the_hobo
Rookie
And1: 640

Post#9 » by the_hobo » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm down for Scott to be the GM! he's my #1 favorite player of all time.
Favorite Magic players of all time:
1. Dennis Scott
2. Andrew Nicholson
3. Anthony "no-neck" Johnson
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#10 » by Furinkazan » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:25 pm

I want someone with at least 170 IQ
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#11 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:41 pm

Def Swami wrote:Myself and others have advocated that this team needs a President of Basketball Operations. I don't believe we have had someone fulfill that role since Bob Vander Weide left. It would be nice to have another experienced basketball mind who has relationships in the league with other GM's, agents, and players in the mold of Pat Riley, Larry Bird, or Doc Rivers. I think Hennigan did an excellent job acquiring assets, but always failed to make the deal to consolidate them into a cohesive team that makes sense. I don't think most of that is for lack of trying, but I think a lot of deals in the NBA happen because of networking and relationships that Hennigan never came in with. Having someone who has been well connected for some time would be helpful.

The appearance is that Alex Martins, who I think has done a lot of great things for the franchise in terms of public relations and business, is the next in line after Rob Hennigan in terms of making basketball decisions before getting to ownership. Given his inexperience with roster management or playing, that simply shouldn't be the case. I'm not sure why he's even in the Draft Day war room.

Dennis Scott makes a good point. There isn't any buzz or excitement around this team. It's one of the last teams League Pass fans want to watch. And that's mainly because there isn't an all-world talent like Shaq, Penny, T-Mac, or Dwight that defined every decade of Magic basketball up to this point. Even without that, there isn't much to be excited about outside of this year's draft pick and I think that perception of the franchise permeates throughout the NBA. A massive culture change is in order and that starts at the top of every successful organization.

Our ownership has been gracious for opening their wallets, but they've made several missteps in hiring people inexperienced for their positions, meddling to close to basketball decision-making, and player management (in the past). The DeVos family isn't going anywhere, but I think the bridge between the GM and the family needs to fortified with more competence and experience. The thing I've noticed about ownership is they like to hire people they trust. They have a history of hiring folks they are comfortable with, including John Weisbrod as GM, Otis Smith as GM, Bob Vander Weide as CEO, re-hiring Brian Hill as coach, hiring Jacque Vaughn as coach, hiring Scott Skiles as coach, Bo Outlaw and Nick Anderson as Ambassadors (no qualms), and of course Alex Martins as CEO.

When the Lakers hired Magic Johnson, I thought it was a weird hire given his background. But, I gave it more thought and realized they hired Rob Pelinka to be the new GM, and realized it's actually not a bad hire at all. I think that's a good relationship to have; a GM who takes care of the nitty gritty player management, scouting, drafting, trades, free agency, and cap management. I also think it helps to have a powerhouse above him to offer advice here and there, use his or her relationships to close deals, attract free agents, and set the cultural tone for the franchise.

I don't know if Scott is a great candidate for that kind of role, but I could see where this could be heading and I wouldn't mind it if an experienced GM was in place as well. Ultimately, that buzz that Scott talks about will return once the Magic acquires top tier talent, and that will still most likely come through the draft and trades. Someone who fits the role I've described that would also be familiar with the DeVos family is Doc Rivers. The Clippers are bound for murky waters with Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, and JJ Redick all hitting free agency this summer and another likely 1st or 2nd round playoff exit. I wouldn't be surprised if Rivers was let go by the end of the season and the Clippers decided to go in a different direction. Offering Rivers a Riley like position in Orlando, where he still resides, could be somewhat enticing to him. It's just a thought.

Nevertheless, I while I think 3D may not be the man for the job, he makes some good points that I think the Magic could benefit from.

just wondering, what exactly do you envision a Pres of Basketball Operations doing? having the power to do?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:43 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:What has Dennis Scott ever done to show he should be running a team? these players make me laugh, they think they can just get up off the couch and run a team without putting in any of the work.

this. At least Magic has built companies. So he has a business mind, can evaluate people, hire the right people around him. etc. Being an analyst is very different than running a company.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#13 » by Def Swami » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:49 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Myself and others have advocated that this team needs a President of Basketball Operations. I don't believe we have had someone fulfill that role since Bob Vander Weide left. It would be nice to have another experienced basketball mind who has relationships in the league with other GM's, agents, and players in the mold of Pat Riley, Larry Bird, or Doc Rivers. I think Hennigan did an excellent job acquiring assets, but always failed to make the deal to consolidate them into a cohesive team that makes sense. I don't think most of that is for lack of trying, but I think a lot of deals in the NBA happen because of networking and relationships that Hennigan never came in with. Having someone who has been well connected for some time would be helpful.

just wondering, what exactly do you envision a Pres of Basketball Operations doing? having the power to do?

Depends on the needs of the franchise and who else is around them. Ideally, I'd like the relationship that I outlined above. A GM who takes care of player transactions, scouting, drafting, trades, free agency, cap management, resource allocation. I'd hope a GM had a PBO to report to (instead of Alex Martins) for final say on basketball decisions and financial decisions, while also offering advice. Similar to how Pat Riley and Andy Elisburg work or Larry Bird and Kevin Pritchard or Jerry West (Not president, but plays the role I envision) and Bob Meyers.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#14 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:51 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:What has Dennis Scott ever done to show he should be running a team? these players make me laugh, they think they can just get up off the couch and run a team without putting in any of the work.

this. At least Magic has built companies. So he has a business mind, can evaluate people, hire the right people around him. etc. Being an analyst is very different than running a company.

And running a company is very different from running a sports team. Just because guys like Vivek Ranavadive are successful and brilliant in their other money making ventures, doesn't mean they know much about running a sports team. So, let's not just pretend that it should be a pre-requisite.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#15 » by JBSouthpaw » Tue Mar 7, 2017 9:01 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

And running a company is very different from running a sports team. Just because guys like Vivek Ranavadive are successful and brilliant in their other money making ventures, doesn't mean they know much about running a sports team. So, let's not just pretend that it should be a pre-requisite.

Well, to your point, Magic is part owner of the Dodgers. They've made huge strides on and off the field since his group took over.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#16 » by OrlandO » Tue Mar 7, 2017 9:04 pm

I, too, would like to be GM of the Magic.

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#17 » by Skin » Tue Mar 7, 2017 9:05 pm

Game recognize game. We'd have a team that would lead the NBA in 3s. Let's do it.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#18 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Mar 7, 2017 9:15 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Well, to your point, Magic is part owner of the Dodgers. They've made huge strides on and off the field since his group took over.

Magic owns 2% of the Dodgers. I'm not really ready to call him the mastermind behind then having Kershaw, Seager, and Puig. Also, their win totals have gone 92, 94, 92, 91 In the 4 years since his group bought the team in 2012 (they won 89 the year before). So I'm not really sure about these huge strides.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#19 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 7, 2017 9:18 pm

Def Swami wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Depends on the needs of the franchise and who else is around them. Ideally, I'd like the relationship that I outlined above. A GM who takes care of player transactions, scouting, drafting, trades, free agency, cap management, resource allocation. I'd hope a GM had a PBO to report to (instead of Alex Martins) for final say on basketball decisions and financial decisions, while also offering advice. Similar to how Pat Riley and Andy Elisburg work or Larry Bird and Kevin Pritchard or Jerry West (Not president, but plays the role I envision) and Bob Meyers.

you outlined what you think the GM should do, still not hearing what the PBO responsibilities should be, except having the GM report to them. unless it is just that catch all - all basketball decisions.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#20 » by tiderulz » Tue Mar 7, 2017 9:20 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

yes and no. a normal company CEO cant and shouldnt be evaluating players. but like i said, they have experience evaluation people. hiring the right minds and then getting out of the way. and i didnt say it was a pre-requisite, but it definitely is a step above just being an analyst.

Return to Orlando Magic