ImageImageImageImage

AG / Elf Extensions?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Re: AG / Elf Extensions? 

Post#41 » by Furinkazan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:24 pm

I woudnt extend either based of what I have seen so far.Especially not for that money which brings me back to a month before trade deadline where I said Id try to trade everybody inlcuded them(maybe + Vuc or Mario or Evan You name it ... any combination to multiple teams in multiple trade scenarios) for this years potential high picks and Id stockpile picks.
Unfortunatelly RH had no balls to make such trades or there was no trades to be done though I highly doubt none was interested in our players at all.
I think there were some trades to be done there on the market.I think teams like Knicks,Pels(before Boogie trade),Minny or maybe even Phoenix or Phila (I couls see them taking Fournier+ you name it)these picks could be in play.Obviosuly Lakers and Boston glued themsleves to their picks but the rest of thse teams would be in play imo for the right player combination.Well ship has sailed...now we have to worry about extensions and other GMs know that also :) so nobody is going to give a lot for Payton in the summer or near next deadline for obvious reasons.Those assets wont be an asssets anymore soon enough.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#42 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:43 pm

Sure, extend them both, but lowball each with their respective offers. It is obvious they are not franchise players and should be paid more role player salaries in the $12-18 mil range.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#43 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:05 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Sure, extend them both, but lowball each with their respective offers. It is obvious they are not franchise players and should be paid more role player salaries in the $12-18 mil range.

Agreeing with BMP again (this is a dangerous trend!).

If you can lock them both up for a few more years in decent contracts they should definitely extend them. Low risk, high reward. At worst we move them to the bench or trade them.

I would say 12-15 mil per year for both would be fine (two years ago that would've been absurd). The Magic need to reevaluate what type of team they're going to be this summer though, which will likely depend on where we wind up in the draft.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#44 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:07 pm

SOUL wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
SOUL wrote:
We've looked better with them running and involved in the offense then any point during the Vucevic/Fournier experiment as our top scorers.

There is no way Fournier is a top player on this team this season, I'm sorry. Not even in the world of alternative facts.

No, he really is though. Leader in PPG by more than 2 a game and 2nd in assists. Not saying I like it or it's a good thing, but he is definitely a top player on this roster as constructed now.

Yeah, I think only because most of our roster is pretty weak though. I value what AG and Elf bring to the table more personally, and Vuc improved on defense even though his offense slipped a bit this year. I just expected more from an $85 million guy that is shooting 43/34 (it was almost down to 32% before his recent streak with Vuc out, and everybody is freaking out about AG's shot) .. and AG is also averaging around 16 ppg since his move to PF, so 16.8 isn't really impressive to me. I never thought Fournier was a #1 sort of guy and he's only there because it's one of the only options we have. Ideally I would love to have him in a Crawford or Ginobili role if we had a stable starting five, but I just don't really enjoy his game that much.

we paid for the guy that was shooting over 46 percent and 40% from 3.... that was still also being placed into such a roll as being a key cog. I think more was expected from others and extra ended up being placed on evan
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,141

Post#45 » by rcklsscognition » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:22 pm

No extensions for either and I would be attempting to trade both of them at the draft if we are not in the top 3. I don't see the core competing as constructed so am not attached to anyone. I don't think it is justified to pay either of them just to have them sit around and the team suck for 4 years when we could be rolling the dice for hidden talent.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Post#46 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:39 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:Since trading Ibaka, Aaron Gordon is averaging 16pts 6reb 2ast 50% FG in 29 minutes while shooting 86% FT. His drawback is that he has been shooting the 3 at a putrid 13%. We know he is better then that. Once he starts shooting in that low 30% again at 3, he could be Avg 19-20ppg. If he plays all next season with those numbers, he will be getting multiple max offers. It would be foolish to not lock him up this summer. For a team that lacks depth and talent, we can't let our most versatile and second most talented player walk. It would be a very Orlando Magic thing to do so lets change it.

AG is a career 28% 3pt shooter, he has never eclipsed that 30% mark in his NBA career. He is shooting the same percentage he shot in his rooie year so yea keep hoping.
aka: prorl
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#47 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Since trading Ibaka, Aaron Gordon is averaging 16pts 6reb 2ast 50% FG in 29 minutes while shooting 86% FT. His drawback is that he has been shooting the 3 at a putrid 13%. We know he is better then that. Once he starts shooting in that low 30% again at 3, he could be Avg 19-20ppg. If he plays all next season with those numbers, he will be getting multiple max offers. It would be foolish to not lock him up this summer. For a team that lacks depth and talent, we can't let our most versatile and second most talented player walk. It would be a very Orlando Magic thing to do so lets change it.

AG is a career 28% 3pt shooter, he has never eclipsed that 30% mark in his NBA career. He is shooting the same percentage he shot in his rooie year so yea keep hoping.

you just wait until summer league when he shoot 60% again! :P
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#48 » by OrlandoDream » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:59 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:

Anybody who watched him from his rookie year knows how much better his shot is. Your telling me that with another off season of work and entire season at that PF will not raise his percentage by 2-3%? Please...
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#49 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:01 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
SOUL wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:]
So who is? Elfrid Payton, 12 ppg ,5,9 apg player who makes lot of defensive mistakes, who had best month of basketball in January, where "his" team lost 12 of 16 games? With below average efficiency and putrid 3 point shooting.
Or it's clear that by efficiency, and raw PPG leader of this team is 17 ppg , 3,2 rpg, 3,2 apg player who at least is league average at efficiency and who , unlike Payton, could at least be starter or 6th man on some contending team.

I mean I watch every game.. so I take a lot of raw numbers with a grain of salt. If I see Fournier constantly looking off open players and trying to get his numbers and getting his **** rocked at the rim, I don't care if he averages 6 assists a game.. he does it way too often for an $85 million dollar player to be a great offensive option. It offsets his ability to get to the line and shoot, and this season he's not shooting well at all compared to last season.

He's billed as a shooter/scorer, and that's where he has let me down the most. I know what to expect from him on defense (effort but not exactly results) and passing (spotty and selfish at times) .. which is why comparing TS% for players with different opportunities, usage and ages is a little bit silly.

If you want to into advanced stats, we can do that. Except do it with his counterparts at the same position and not players like Payton and Gordon because at this point we're hoping they become great shooters, not expecting them to be.

Fournier is under Oladipo, Stauskas, Wes Matthews... the latter two being people that have bounced around or been injured/struggling and Fournier is still under them. Oladipo the guy we moved... better TS% than Fournier.. he's 39th in SGs in TS%.

PER 30th.

Value added.. 23rd as SG, wins added 23rd as SG.

Usage 11th.

Offensive win shares 1.1, defense win shares 0.9.. total of 2.0, (down from 5.7 win shares last year.)

This is not a player that is "the best player on our team".

And Elfrid... yes, he's not shooting threes well at all. That's not hard to see.

TS% 47th among PGs, so not great.

PER 19th among PGs.

Value added 16th, wins added 16th.

(He's the only one under 30 MPG hanging with a bunch of PGs in the 30-34 range)

Usage 26th.

Offensive win shares, 1.4.. Defensive win shares, 1.7, total 3.1 (up from 2.2 last year).

There is a clear cutoff from the top 13 pgs, but in most other categories, and especially with more minutes.. Elfrid has consistently played like a top 14-19 PG this year in most categories. Is that great? No, but considering how "inconsistent" he is and the fact that he's still young compared to a lot of the players in that area (and outplaying a lot of his younger counterparts), I'll definitely take that. He's not untouchable because it matters who we'd like to build around and what style we want to run but people should stop pretending like he is the issue because it just isn't true at all. He may not be the answer, but he's not the problem.

Evan has shown his usage is way too high for what he provides and he's still only producing like a bench SG in a lot of advanced categories. You can't convince me he's playing good this year.

But this thread is about Elf and Gordons extension. And at some point team should look at them, ending their third year, with yet another deep lottery run and ask themselfs are they worth keeping around.

Gordon still gets some benefits of a doubt because his position changes but it's hard to say the same for Payton. He was given starting level job 3 years ago, he never actually earned it. Over that period of time he played with some pretty damn good shooters (Meeks, Fournier,Frye , DJ, Ibaka, Smith, Ilyasova.. ) and actuallly talented and productive two way play in Oladipo. Team never actually looked good at all.

If you are going to argue that Payton is better than Fournier, fine ,you are entitled to your opinion but what does it say about a team if Elfrid Payton is your best player ? Go around the league and count for how many teams he would start for. On East for Bucks and 76ers.

On West for : T wolves (maybe ) and Nuggets. That's literally it. 4 teams.

So to say that he " consistently played like a top 14-19 PG this year in most categories. " is one big fat lie.
He is not even on Derren Collison's level ( 13 ppg ,57% TS)
Jeremy Lin since his return has around 14 ppg on 44% for 3 and gets to free trow line a lot.
Yogi Farrell 13 ppg ,4,7 apg, 56,6% TS

Westbrook, Lillard,Wall,Paul, Holiday, Bledsoe,Steph, Lowry, Irving, Kemba, Conley, Hill,Dragić , Schroder, Thomas, Schroder. If you are not at least better than one of them, you are by default below average starter in nba.

I agree. I do think we have overated Elfrid's positive impact, myself included. He does somethings really well but at the end of the day the team that got the ball thru the hoop more times than the other one wins and Elf is one of the worst shooters in the NBA at his position which does affect the other 4 players on the court.

Of the players that started atlest 15 games at PG this season, Elf is 5th worst in 3pt shooting, the ones doing worse than he is:

MCM, Broken Down Derrick Rose. TJ Mconnell, and Ish Smith.

Not exactly the pack of guys you would want to be compared to if he is supposed to be the best player on this team.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#50 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:15 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

Anybody who watched him from his rookie year knows how much better his shot is. Your telling me that with another off season of work and entire season at that PF will not raise his percentage by 2-3%? Please...

Oh I think he can increase his percentage by 2% or 3% but that would still be way below the current NBA season average of 36%. He is 3 years in, and his body of work does not indicate potential for a high jump in 3pt percentage. BTW, he shot 27% from 3 in his rookie year, the same exact percentage he is shooting this year. 20 years ago his lack of shooting, and Elf's wouldnt matter as much but in the current era there are teams breaking records in 3pt shooting and are launching them more than at any point ever done so it matters greatly.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,958

Post#51 » by MagicMatic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:55 pm

We should be testing the market with both of them. If we can't find a suitable offer - extend them. If AG demands what the article says (100m+) bye.

You don't lock in players for that amount of money that you can't get a good deal on and are being judged off of potential only.

This roster doesn't work and people want to keep a large majority of it intact. :lol:
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,296

Post#52 » by Jiwol » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:15 pm

50/4 for AG, 32/4 for Payton. As of now they don't deserve more.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,292

Post#53 » by pepe1991 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Look around the league . All contenders have same things in common: two way star, at least one elite shooter, great spacing, rim defending big and at most , one bad shooter in SL (who is most of the time elite rim protector ).

Spurs: Leonard (elite two way superstar), Green and Mills elite shooters, Aldrige as allstar level player, and some rim protection in Dedmon (and whatever is left from Pau who is still good in limited min ). Their PG, Parker declined a lot, but still can hit open jumpers ,he also only plays 25 MPG because Mills is lights out shooter.

Warriors: Green elite defender, elite two way player, Curry and Klay both lights out shooter and Durant, one of most elite stars in nba. Igoudala as another two way player who comes off bench, who would start on most of teams.

Cavs: elite superstar, two stars who are lights out shooters and elite spacing ( Frye, Korver, JR , you name it )

Wizards: Elite playmaker who isn't much of a shooter but who is creative scorer and one of best passers in nba ( Wall creates 20 potential assists per game , that's crazy) . One of best shooters in the league with Beal, great shooter in Porter, supporting cast of Gortat, Morris and Bogdanovic is good enough to carry the to 2# record on east.

Celtics: lights out PG , defensive big , wing defenders who are also elite shooters. ( kind a questionable bench tho ).

Raptors: PG who is good shooter, elite scorer at SG, good defender at SF , solid bigs.

Rockets: elite , lights out PG who will probably win MVP award this year, floor spacing all over the roster, defensive bigs that clean up glass.

Jazz: good all around allstar level player ,DPOY center, one of best catch and shoot players at PG and floor spacing with supporting cast.

It's pretty damn clear how to build a team. Find a star, get defesive big and surround them with elite shooting. Magic simply can't keep building around Vučević , Payton and Gordon because VUčević will never be elite defender, Gordon and Payton will keep killing spacing until one of them is gone. It's not like they are bad shooters but defenders still contest them, they are that level bad that defenders sagg off him and dare them to shoot and you can't argue results = 19 games below .500, another trip to lottery.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#54 » by OrlandoDream » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:40 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

Oh I think he can increase his percentage by 2% or 3% but that would still be way below the current NBA season average of 36%. He is 3 years in, and his body of work does not indicate potential for a high jump in 3pt percentage. BTW, he shot 27% from 3 in his rookie year, the same exact percentage he is shooting this year. 20 years ago his lack of shooting, and Elf's wouldnt matter as much but in the current era there are teams breaking records in 3pt shooting and are launching them more than at any point ever done so it matters greatly.
then you have to get rid of one and all signs point to Elfrid.
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#55 » by rusoopE » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Who wrote that article? AG's agent? No way he is getting 25mill per year
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
rusoopE
Sixth Man
And1: 678

Post#56 » by rusoopE » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm

People blaming fournier cause he is selfish and he "only" passes the Ball to Vuc... Man if i were fournier i would never pass the ball to EP or AG. those guys cant shoot for their lives. EP is just a role player who will get some big nights. But he will never be an average shooter or a smart defender. In the other side next year AG has a lot to prove playing pf full time. We desperatly need a good pick and a FA sign/trade this off season at the PG/SF position to become starters and then build around that team
"It's like 60 minutes on acid" - David Byrne

Vuc and Isaac supporter
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#57 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:42 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Anybody who watched him from his rookie year knows how much better his shot is. Your telling me that with another off season of work and entire season at that PF will not raise his percentage by 2-3%? Please...

then you have to get rid of one and all signs point to Elfrid.

I agree. If I had to choose between just keeping one and trading the other I would trade Elf because AG's lack of shooting is more managable in his position compared to Elf and the PG position. I do think as I said before that going forward they cannot both be in the starting lineup if we ever intend to make the playoffs.
Hadvar
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#58 » by Hadvar » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Too early to say.
We don't even know if hennigan will be in orlando next summer,we don't know what ownership wanna do.

That said,for sure i would not extend payton,just give the guy another year with this current team,many minutes and then,if he improves at shooting and play well,pay him.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#59 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:08 pm

SOUL wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Some of you are using phrasing like "if Gordon continues to show blah blah blah."

I know we have a few games left this season for him to do that but just making sure we are clear, AG is eligible for an extension THIS summer of 2017. The prediction in this article is that we give him $100M in just a couple months.

I don't think we're in the position to let AG walk unless it's something that will cripple management from making other moves.

But why?

Don't get me wrong, before the season i was convinced AG was going to have a break out season. Now, instead we are talking about him as a guy that does "all the little things."

What we need is a guy that does all the big things. Extending either of these guys for big money, unless they suddenly explode, makes little sense.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#60 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Hadvar wrote:Too early to say.
We don't even know if hennigan will be in orlando next summer,we don't know what ownership wanna do.

That said,for sure i would not extend payton,just give the guy another year with this current team,many minutes and then,if he improves at shooting and play well,pay him.

Yes, but these extensions would be signed *this* summer, not next.

Return to Orlando Magic