ImageImageImageImage

The Vertical: Rob Hennigan Fired

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,029

Re: The Vertical: Rob Hennigan Fired 

Post#441 » by SOUL » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:38 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Cant handle a coach telling them to sit their sorry asses down when they're playing like crap.

The only guy that complained about that role was Vuc, the player you defend with 100% conviction.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#442 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:32 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Bensational wrote:Perry was a part of building s championship Pistons team, then worked under Presti whilst they built a finals contending team (with Hennigan). Lloyd helped recruit guys that Thibs was able to turn into a contending force.

I'm gonna wager that those guys know more about how to handle players than a coach with very middling success and a reputation for alienating players. Or Martins for that matter.

It's pretty hypocritical for guys like Skiles and Martins to complain about accountability when neither of them have taken any lately. Skiles quit, and Martins threw Hennigan under the bus.

This is hypothetical, but I have a feeling Henny threw Skiles under the bus to hire Vogel.

WTF? Are you serious? Put the crack pipe down. :lol:
magicfan4life88
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#443 » by magicfan4life88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:08 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote:Tobias Harris would not, will not, not, not, not save this team, much like oladipo he was inconsistent, does anyone remember Harris in his time here? He didn't make our team better, he didn't make the pistons better, he can score at times, he can't do what this team needs, we need a player who can take over a game and before you bitch about Fournier he is our most consistent player since he's been with us, I know he isn't the player this team needs like I was talking about but he is the perfect player to play next to the guy we need, or even off the bench, ala Terry, ala manu

I always thought the criticism of Tobias was a bit unfair. He's a consistent 17/8 guy when given 30 mpg. He's not a go-to scorer, but is a qualified third option, maybe even second option if the first option is a real star.

Criticizing Tobias for not being a go to scorer is the same as criticizing Fournier for not being a go to scorer. They're both fine 2d or 3d options.

My point is he gets way too much praise on here for what he is, he isnt a guy that makes his team better, he puts up stats here and there but he is no go to guy, hes not the shooter Evan is, get a 20+ppg scorer here and everyone will love Evan again

Harris is a very poor mans melo, he can score a little but doesn't make his teams better, hes a better rebounder and defender then melo but not by much really and still doesnt make his teams better, I like Harris when he was here but I'm perfectly fine without him, TOO MANY PEOPLE ON HERE ACT AS IF HARRIS AND DIPO ARE STARS ON THE RISE WHEN THEY AREN'T EVEN ON THE RISE, THEY'VE PEAKED
MAGIC BABY!!!!!!!!!
-Magic-
-Ravens-
-Rays-
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,374

Post#444 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:24 pm

magicfan4life88 wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote:Tobias Harris would not, will not, not, not, not save this team, much like oladipo he was inconsistent, does anyone remember Harris in his time here? He didn't make our team better, he didn't make the pistons better, he can score at times, he can't do what this team needs, we need a player who can take over a game and before you bitch about Fournier he is our most consistent player since he's been with us, I know he isn't the player this team needs like I was talking about but he is the perfect player to play next to the guy we need, or even off the bench, ala Terry, ala manu

I always thought the criticism of Tobias was a bit unfair. He's a consistent 17/8 guy when given 30 mpg. He's not a go-to scorer, but is a qualified third option, maybe even second option if the first option is a real star.

Criticizing Tobias for not being a go to scorer is the same as criticizing Fournier for not being a go to scorer. They're both fine 2d or 3d options.

My point is he gets way too much praise on here for what he is, he isnt a guy that makes his team better, he puts up stats here and there but he is no go to guy, hes not the shooter Evan is, get a 20+ppg scorer here and everyone will love Evan again

Harris is a very poor mans melo, he can score a little but doesn't make his teams better, hes a better rebounder and defender then melo but not by much really and still doesnt make his teams better, I like Harris when he was here but I'm perfectly fine without him, TOO MANY PEOPLE ON HERE ACT AS IF HARRIS AND DIPO ARE STARS ON THE RISE WHEN THEY AREN'T EVEN ON THE RISE, THEY'VE PEAKED

TObias Harris was salary dump trade so Hennigan can salary space to sign non other than Jeff Green and failed in attemp to get Chandler Parsons. It's actually hard to decide who is worst, Green or Parsons.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
magicfan4life88
Rookie

Post#445 » by magicfan4life88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:45 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:

TObias Harris was salary dump trade so Hennigan can salary space to sign non other than Jeff Green and failed in attemp to get Chandler Parsons. It's actually hard to decide who is worst, Green or Parsons.

definitely dont think his intention the whole time was so he could sign green, or even parsons, but to have cap room to entice someone to come over and unfortunateyl got stuck with what we got stuck with, remember hennigan never really let alot out so we dont even know how many free-agents turned us down, like barnes, batum, derozan, marvin williams(who would have been much better then JGreen) and Durant, guarentee they were all contacted and agents laughed at us
MAGIC BABY!!!!!!!!!
-Magic-
-Ravens-
-Rays-
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#446 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:48 pm

magicfan4life88 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote:

definitely dont think his intention the whole time was so he could sign green, or even parsons, but to have cap room to entice someone to come over and unfortunateyl got stuck with what we got stuck with, remember hennigan never really let alot out so we dont even know how many free-agents turned us down, like barnes, batum, derozan, marvin williams(who would have been much better then JGreen) and Durant, guarentee they were all contacted and agents laughed at us

His inability to understand how a build a team started long time before any of that. When he tried to sign Millsap who plays same position as Gordon who he drafted that year with 4th overall pick .
That's why he should have been fired last year. He simply didn't understand or value his assets high enough, so he sold them for nothing.
magicfan4life88
Rookie

Post#447 » by magicfan4life88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:55 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

His inability to understand how a build a team started long time before any of that. When he tried to sign Millsap who plays same position as Gordon who he drafted that year with 4th overall pick .
That's why he should have been fired last year. He simply didn't understand or value his assets high enough, so he sold them for nothing.

yes because they didnt believe at all that Gordon could play the 3, oh wait they did, yes it didnt work out but they obviously had a plan in place, fact is they still resigned Harris that year to play the same position, signing milsap instead of harris that year would have made this team much better, and then we still had AG as a trade asset or he would have learned alot from milsap
MAGIC BABY!!!!!!!!!
-Magic-
-Ravens-
-Rays-
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#448 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:01 pm

magicfan4life88 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote: definitely dont think his intention the whole time was so he could sign green, or even parsons, but to have cap room to entice someone to come over and unfortunateyl got stuck with what we got stuck with, remember hennigan never really let alot out so we dont even know how many free-agents turned us down, like barnes, batum, derozan, marvin williams(who would have been much better then JGreen) and Durant, guarentee they were all contacted and agents laughed at us

yes because they didnt believe at all that Gordon could play the 3, oh wait they did, yes it didnt work out but they obviously had a plan in place, fact is they still resigned Harris that year to play the same position, signing milsap instead of harris that year would have made this team much better, and then we still had AG as a trade asset or he would have learned alot from milsap

Plan was ***t to being with. Building around 30 years old borderline allstar . It's like rebuilding around Brook Lopez now.
magicfan4life88
Rookie

Post#449 » by magicfan4life88 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:13 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Plan was ***t to being with. Building around 30 years old borderline allstar . It's like rebuilding around Brook Lopez now.

I'm done with this, feels like I'm arguing with a wall, you essentially are saying nothing back, not anything intelligent anyways
MAGIC BABY!!!!!!!!!
-Magic-
-Ravens-
-Rays-
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#450 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:32 pm

magicfan4life88 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote: yes because they didnt believe at all that Gordon could play the 3, oh wait they did, yes it didnt work out but they obviously had a plan in place, fact is they still resigned Harris that year to play the same position, signing milsap instead of harris that year would have made this team much better, and then we still had AG as a trade asset or he would have learned alot from milsap

I'm done with this, feels like I'm arguing with a wall, you essentially are saying nothing back, not anything intelligent anyways

:lol:
No you just don't know how to make strong case for your argument.
You said that we here "act like Oladipo and Harris are stars" i simply said that Magic flipped them into Jeff Green and Ross, both worst players than Dipo and Harris.
It's not about them being stars, it's about them being better than Magic have now.

btw you never said anything intelligent on this forum
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#451 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:37 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Hindsight is always 20/20. There were numerous posters who argued that AG would be superior at the 3 rather than the 4 back as far as 2015. Only this past season was that experiment tried and the theory refuted.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#452 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:46 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote: definitely dont think his intention the whole time was so he could sign green, or even parsons, but to have cap room to entice someone to come over and unfortunateyl got stuck with what we got stuck with, remember hennigan never really let alot out so we dont even know how many free-agents turned us down, like barnes, batum, derozan, marvin williams(who would have been much better then JGreen) and Durant, guarentee they were all contacted and agents laughed at us

Hindsight is always 20/20. There were numerous posters who argued that AG would be superior at the 3 rather than the 4 back as far as 2015. Only this past season was that experiment tried and the theory refuted.

IMO Gordon was always PF prospect. Simply not good enough ballhandling,passing or shooting for SF.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,556

Post#453 » by Bensational » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
magicfan4life88 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

Millsap would've been a good piece for this team if we'd landed him back when we did. I'd imagine Skiles would've had that team in the playoffs and we wouldn't have needed to make the Tobias trade as desperately as we did.

AG was young then and was always going to take some time to grow into his role after missing most of his first season. We could've afforded the extra depth whilst Millsap completed his contract.

The biggest lesson we should have learned early on was trying to find a PF to fit with Vuc. We've now tried a large variety and none seem to make a difference. Millsap would've expedited that revelation and he's a superior talent to Vuc so we would've realised if he couldn't work with him he wouldn't work with anyone.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#454 » by RickB-Orlando » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

IMO Gordon was always PF prospect. Simply not good enough ballhandling,passing or shooting for SF.

And again, there were many others (not you, as you say) that claimed AG was the perfect fit for the SF spot.

Personally I always thought he had the potential to be a Blake Griffin Light at the 4, which he sort of showed at the end of last season (albeit with less rebounding).
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,939

Post#455 » by JF5 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I think he drafted AG as BPA for long term asset building/short term role player. I never really believed he was part of Hennigan's long term plans... He went after Millsap, wanted to sign Patrick Patterson, got Channing Frye, desperately wanted to draft Porzingis, and traded for Serge Ibaka. I mean the constant theme is clear there that Gordon was never meant to be the starting PF.
Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Re: RE: Re: The Vertical: Rob Hennigan Fired 

Post#456 » by Jameerthefear » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:39 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:

And again, there were many others (not you, as you say) that claimed AG was the perfect fit for the SF spot.

Personally I always thought he had the potential to be a Blake Griffin Light at the 4, which he sort of showed at the end of last season (albeit with less rebounding).

In his defense he kind of addressed that. Rob misjudged his assets, I think that's fair to say

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,556

Post#457 » by Bensational » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:45 pm

SOUL wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Cant handle a coach telling them to sit their sorry asses down when they're playing like crap.

The only guy that complained about that role was Vuc, the player you defend with 100% conviction.

SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#458 » by SF_Warriors » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Jameerthefear wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

In his defense he kind of addressed that. Rob misjudged his assets, I think that's fair to say

When they traded for ibaka there were a lot of posters on the gen board (both magic fans and fans of other teams) that said AG is not a nba small forward and personally it was quite obvious.

Now some posters did think AG could be a small forward but they were the minority.
However, for a GM who has the abilityto watch a guy play/practice in person so much, and to grossly misjudge his potential is very concerning. Magic are better off without henny. You got guys on this board with nothing else but league pass at the most that could easily tell that AG couldnt play the 3.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#459 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:47 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
Jameerthefear wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:

When they traded for ibaka there were a lot of posters on the gen board (both magic fans and fans of other teams) that said AG is not a nba small forward and personally it was quite obvious.

Now some posters did think AG could be a small forward but they were the minority.
However, for a GM who has the abilityto watch a guy play/practice in person so much, and to grossly misjudge his potential is very concerning. Magic are better off without henny. You got guys on this board with nothing else but league pass at the most that could easily tell that AG couldnt play the 3.

It goes a little deeper than that. AG requested to play SF and I think Rob saw this as an opportunity to develop his guy and grow some loyalty at the same time. Additionally bringing in Forcier probably made him think he had the right guys in place to give it a shot.

Hennigan tried young players out of position a lot - Oladipo at PG comes to mind as well. I think he did it because he was a pat of OKC's development of Westbrook as a PG.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,044

Post#460 » by fendilim » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:10 am

SOUL wrote:

I don't think it was only Vuc.

IIRC, there's another player who did sound pissed when he was asked about the benching.

Return to Orlando Magic