ImageImageImageImage

Jeff Weltman on the Woj Pod

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,359

Re: Jeff Weltman on the Woj Pod 

Post#21 » by Knightro » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Howard Mass wrote:I think Vogel wants a full season with slight tune ups to the second half roster.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and I think the bench has definitely been tuned up.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#22 » by PennytoShaq » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:11 pm

basketballRob wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:Really surprised how Biz has struggled. Must be a system thing. TRoss is one of the most frustrating players to have to endure. On fire one day looking like a sure fire starter and then completely underwhelming scrub the next. His escapades with the bald vamp made him look like a kid in a bizarro candy shop. Very much child-man vs man-child. He has subsequently grown up a ton with his kid out of wedlock. Biz should be worth every penny and cannot understand his shortcomings at all except for the being overpaid part.

He has struggled for 6 years and for 3 teams now. Is it the system or possibly the player? He had one good playoff series. Other than that, he has been average to below average for 6 regular season years.

Look at his offensive and defensive ratings the 3 years prior to coming here.

I know you have a thing for Vuc, but Biz isn't a below average payer.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/biyombi01.html

You are correct. And i posted a detailed article that detailed how franks old school scheme last year misused biz but none of the anti biz people read it or commented. Its easier to just type the same empty antibiz posts instead of actually knowing what you are talking about.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,889

Post#23 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:10 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
He has struggled for 6 years and for 3 teams now. Is it the system or possibly the player? He had one good playoff series. Other than that, he has been average to below average for 6 regular season years.

You are correct. And i posted a detailed article that detailed how franks old school scheme last year misused biz but none of the anti biz people read it or commented. Its easier to just type the same empty antibiz posts instead of actually knowing what you are talking about.

If a team is paying a player 17 mil you find a way to make sure he gets his double-double and blocks. Some on the Raps board said he was no more than an energy big but when Valancuinas went down for a quarter of the 2016 season he came in and they played much better with him and ditto the playoffs. He is like Patrick Patterson without the shot. He gets his 8-10 points and is a force on defence. I think Weltman has a good idea how Biz can be successful. Vuc is the one that should be moved and pretty sure Weltman tries to go that route.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#24 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:32 pm

basketballRob wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:Really surprised how Biz has struggled. Must be a system thing. TRoss is one of the most frustrating players to have to endure. On fire one day looking like a sure fire starter and then completely underwhelming scrub the next. His escapades with the bald vamp made him look like a kid in a bizarro candy shop. Very much child-man vs man-child. He has subsequently grown up a ton with his kid out of wedlock. Biz should be worth every penny and cannot understand his shortcomings at all except for the being overpaid part.

Do you consider those ratings good compared to the rest of the league? I still don't buy it. The team struggled just as bad if not worse with Biz starting.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#25 » by OAKLEY_2 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:47 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Do you consider those ratings good compared to the rest of the league? I still don't buy it. The team struggled just as bad if not worse with Biz starting.

Biyombo is never going to be the missing piece. Neither is Payton (yet) at the most critical position. Solve point guard and this team really soars.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#26 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:46 pm

OAKLEY_2 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Biyombo is never going to be the missing piece. Neither is Payton (yet) at the most critical position. Solve point guard and this team really soars.

I have faith in Payton being a quality starting PG in this league. Just because he don't shoot 3's at the clip people believe a PG should shoot them at doesn't dictate how good a PG truly is. Elf will be fine. I think SF is a position of importance. Hopefully, with the new guys, we improve there but nobody appears to be starting quality SF yet. Realistically, everyone just needs to continue to develop and the team will get better organically.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#27 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:16 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

I have faith in Payton being a quality starting PG in this league. Just because he don't shoot 3's at the clip people believe a PG should shoot them at doesn't dictate how good a PG truly is. Elf will be fine. I think SF is a position of importance. Hopefully, with the new guys, we improve there but nobody appears to be starting quality SF yet. Realistically, everyone just needs to continue to develop and the team will get better organically.

I looked at his numbers and he more or less shakes out at where the Raps Delon Wright projects to be but he has rather disappointing defense. That might change over time but not shooting and not defending is an ominous combo and it affects the PnR. He may just be a back-up end of story. Weltman will be scrutinizing this to determine if he is the guy. Still absolutely curious why Weltman passed on DSJ but perhaps they really believe Payton might develop. Weltman and the Raps didn't work out any lotto players so he would have relied on Orlando's scouting pre draft.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM

Post#28 » by OAKLEY_2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 am

In other words I don't think Weltman picked Isaac or Pasecniks but let the staff follow through.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#29 » by j-ragg » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:35 am

OAKLEY_2 wrote:In other words I don't think Weltman picked Isaac or Pasecniks but let the staff follow through.

We traded Pasecniks draft night to Philly for the bounty of a possible late first but likely two seconds 5 years from now.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
NSB_Magic
Junior
And1: 172

Post#30 » by NSB_Magic » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:11 pm

If you're a basketball fan or a Magic fan, you should listen to this podcast. Especially if you are interested in the business side of the league. I think we finally made a great hire in Weltman.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#31 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:13 pm

eyriq wrote:Just listened. Weltman comes off as obnoxious af to me.

Disagree. Don't take Weltman not accepting woj's fed responses for obnoxiousness. Jeff has been very respectful while bringing a level of humor and openness that Rob never quite achieved.

Not much Magic stuff in this pod, but it's a good listen because you get an idea of his mind and viewpoint.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#32 » by OrlandoDream » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Knightro wrote:I'm pretty much convinced at this point that Vogel made a compelling case to Weltman/Hammond to run it back with the same starters from last year + an upgraded bench.

This would be the first time in the rebuild where we keep the same coach and the same core for back-to-back seasons. Let's see much this coaching continuity and chemistry building helps going into next year. Although the East has gotten progressively worse, the rest of NBA teams have gotten better. We must do the same.
Mc-o
Veteran
And1: 1,507

Post#33 » by Mc-o » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Just because some posters are negative about biz because they realize we are paying a career back up 1/6th is our salary cap doesn't mean they are just some biz "haters . Its cool if u want to be a homer about Biz , and even if Vogel didn't use him properly, doesn't change the fact that even his normal play he is still just a back up , throughout his career the more minutes he is given the less production he has . Biz has some use , the problem is he is one of the highest paid players on this team and he has yet been able to keep a starting job in the league
PennytoShaq

Post#34 » by PennytoShaq » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Mc-o wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Just because some posters are negative about biz because they realize we are paying a career back up 1/6th is our salary cap doesn't mean they are just some biz "haters . Its cool if u want to be a homer about Biz , and even if Vogel didn't use him properly, doesn't change the fact that even his normal play he is still just a back up , throughout his career the more minutes he is given the less production he has . Biz has some use , the problem is he is one of the highest paid players on this team and he has yet been able to keep a starting job in the league

Another person who didn't read the article that was posted. Cool.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Re: RE: Re: Jeff Weltman on the Woj Pod 

Post#35 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Mc-o wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Having over $30 million tied up in the center position in this current NBA is a huge fail. Giving a career journeyman in DJ a 4 year guaranteed deal another big fail. That was lime when we signed Duhon and Quentin Richardson. Seems to me this new management team will be smarter about contract lenght for bench players.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
PennytoShaq

Re: RE: Re: Jeff Weltman on the Woj Pod 

Post#36 » by PennytoShaq » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
Mc-o wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

Having over $30 million tied up in the center position in this current NBA is a huge fail. Giving a career journeyman in DJ a 4 year guaranteed deal another big fail. That was lime when we signed Duhon and Quentin Richardson. Seems to me this new management team will be smarter about contract lenght for bench players.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app

No doubt about the last part. I think the question of what we are doing with the C position has been out there now since we got Biz. The numbers indicate that he would be a fine starting C for us, but without 4 solid offensive players around him, it was not optimal.

I think adding Simmons moves Evan back to the SG spot. I also think that Weltman knows Ross and believes he is best as a reserve. I could be wrong there. Personally, I think Ross deserves a shot at the starting spot, but having Evan/Ross as a SG rotation is very deep.

Now the problem is shooting. Evan can shoot, but that's it. Simmons is not bad though, and he can create offense off the dribble which is something Evan is best at when he is setting it up through his jump shot. This still boils down to AG and EP. If these guys still can't shoot at all, then I see them getting moved.

Return to Orlando Magic