ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Football (6-6) and Going Bowling 

Post#2061 » by dsg2003mach1 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:17 pm

agreed, I really dont understand how they can make 2 drivers like that and then generate nothing the rest of the game.

the inability to stop the run game is unacceptable.

Personally I'd like to see a new DC and new starting QB. JRP just isn't the guy, he's 100% or 0%
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,368

Post#2062 » by Knightro » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:36 pm

dsg2003mach1 wrote:agreed, I really dont understand how they can make 2 drivers like that and then generate nothing the rest of the game.

Personally I'd like to see a new DC and new starting QB. JRP just isn't the guy, he's 100% or 0%

JRP is out of eligibility, so he's gone regardless.

The real question is do they go with Timmy McClain, one of their younger guys, or bring in an experienced QB in the transfer portal like KJ Jefferson?

I'm guessing they look for experience.
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Post#2063 » by dsg2003mach1 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:09 pm

Knightro wrote:
dsg2003mach1 wrote:agreed, I really dont understand how they can make 2 drivers like that and then generate nothing the rest of the game.

The real question is do they go with Timmy McClain, one of their younger guys, or bring in an experienced QB in the transfer portal like KJ Jefferson?

shows how much attention Ive been paying :lol:

hoping they grab someone with more experience.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,368

Post#2064 » by Knightro » Tue Jan 2, 2024 1:28 am

Knightro wrote:

Read on Twitter
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,419

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Football (6-7) and Mercifully Done for the Season 

Post#2065 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jan 2, 2024 3:52 pm

Big time commitment. KJ is a great fit for Gus' offense and was killing it for Arkansas before this past season (had an OC change and didn't fare as well, got sacked I think 40+ times).

Kobe Hudson also confirmed he's returning for another year. Assuming he and Baker don't change their minds and declare for the draft anyway (wouldn't be surprised if Baker does), the offense should be really dynamic and exciting to watch next year.

All this team really needs is to land a few stud LB transfers and this could be a really exciting team next year. Right now we're really thin at that spot. I'm hoping the KJ news drums up some excitement amongst other transfers and the dominos fall our way.
YosemiteSam
Sixth Man
And1: 787

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Football (6-7) and Mercifully Done for the Season 

Post#2066 » by YosemiteSam » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:52 pm

Wonder if he will ever play at UCF:

Mikey Williams arrives at UCF, awaits word on enrollment status
By CHRIS HAYS

One day after the news broke that 5-star combination guard Mikey Williams had committed to UCF, the 6-foot-3, 185-pound phenom was in the house Saturday at Addition Financial Arena to watch his new team take on the No. 18 BYU Cougars.

As UCF struggled to shoot the basketball Saturday, WIlliams probably wanted to jump out on the court. UCF hit just 29% of its floor shots and missed 12 of 33 free throws in losing to BYU 63-58.

In a whirlwind of events for the UCF basketball team this week, including a shocking victory over No. 3 Kansas on Wednesday night, the Knights ended up with a huge catch in Williams.

Due to the quick transfer and that UCF’s spring classes have already started, Williams’ enrollment is a bit tricky and still in process, so he could not comment as to whether he was enrolled yet. UCF officials said they could not comment as well.

UCF coach Johnny Dawkins also could not elaborate.

“I can’t comment on recruits in that regard. That’s an NCAA violation” Dawkins said. “I would love to, when that time comes, make a comment, but right now that’s not possible.”

Williams, who signed with Memphis in November 2022, never played a game for the Tigers because of a criminal matter involving a shooting outside his San Diego County home last March. He entered the NCAA transfer portal Monday.

“I like the vibe of the school, I like the coaches and I like the support that I got,” Williams said while sitting courtside before the BYU game. “I can just tell they’re serious and they want me here just off of my interactions with everybody. It feels like a home environment.”

He’s been through quite an ordeal with the criminal charges being brought against him.

San Diego County authorities said the then-18-year-old faced multiple counts of assault with a firearm and was released after posting a $50,000 bond.

The arrest stems from a March 17 shooting. An argument just before midnight ended with gunshots being fired at a car that was leaving the house with five passengers inside it, police said in a news release. Bullets hit the car, but nobody inside was injured, police said.

Williams eventually pleaded guilty to a lesser charge in December.

He had faced nine felony counts and up to 30 years in prison, but in exchange for his guilty plea, the other eight counts were dismissed and Williams was ordered to complete a gun-safety course, attend anger-management sessions and do 80 hours of community service.

Sentencing is set for Aug. 12 in San Diego County Superior Court, when the lesser charge would be reduced to a misdemeanor if Williams follows terms of the deal and avoids any criminal offenses, San Diego attorney Randy M. Grossman said.

“It’s just been a lot of time to reflect. A lot of time to focus and I just thank God and give praise to God,” Williams said. “We all go through things. Everybody’s path is different, so I took the time to reflect off of it and I took it as a lesson.”

Williams, who has nearly four million followers on his @mikey account on Instagram, said he hasn’t been worried about his basketball future.

“I knew the details to everything that was going on and I just knew that God had my back,” Williams said, “so no matter to how it looked to anybody on the outside, the outcome is the outcome, so I am blessed and thankful.”

He said the pathway to his charges being dismissed is on track.

“I’m almost complete with everything,” he said. “I just have some more community-service hours.”

Williams said eighth-year UCF coach Dawkins did not recruit Williams out of high school, but he has landed a prize now.

Williams averaged 24.8 points and 9.2 assists a game for San Ysidro (Calif.) last year. The dynamic combo guard was the 34th-ranked player on ESPN’s most recent Top 100 list.

After entering the transfer portal, Memphis coach and former Orlando Magic star Penny Hardaway acknowledged the decision Wednesday.

“He has the right to do what he needs to do for himself, and I wish him well,” Hardaway told the Memphis Commercial Appeal.

.According to the Associated Press, Williams is one of the NIL era’s earliest stars, securing a multiyear deal with shoe and athletic apparel maker Puma for an undisclosed amount in 2021. He has millions of followers across his social media platforms, and On3.com estimates his NIL valuation at $3.6 million.

Chris Hays covers high school and college football and college football recruiting.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2024/01/13/mikey-williams-ucf-knights-memphis-tigers-ncaa-transfer-portal-nil-penny-hardaway-johnny-dawkins/
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#2067 » by UCFJayBird » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:10 pm

YosemiteSam wrote:Wonder if he will ever play at UCF:

If he doesn't get a waiver for this season, I doubt he's here next year to be honest. I hope so, but seems like the kind of kid that once the dust settles on his legal troubles (and assuming he doesn't have any other flags pop up), another program might throw a lot of NIL money at him that UCF can't.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Football Recruiting and Basketball (10-5, 1-2) 

Post#2068 » by UCF » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:26 pm

If he’s not already enrolled, he’s not playing. The timing wasn’t good for the transfer.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#2069 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:11 pm

UCF wrote:If he’s not already enrolled, he’s not playing. The timing wasn’t good for the transfer.

I think I read something about school policy being that he can't play until his legal troubles are resolved, which I believe happens in August.

So yea, I personally an skeptical he'll be here next year. I hope he is.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#2070 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:13 pm

Either way, the team has exceeded expectations so far by being 3-3 in conference play with wins over Kansas, Texas, and WVU. The Big XII basketball is just a gauntlet, no easy games. We play Cincinnati next and then immediately have 4 straight ranked opponents. Team needs to keep playing hard defensively and find ways to gut out the wins.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Basketball (13-8, 4-5) - Three Quad 1 wins 

Post#2071 » by UCF » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:45 pm

JD has me convinced he deserves another contract at this point. I didn’t have have high hopes but he’s got the team playing at a competitive level.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#2072 » by UCF » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=4s0LW4t5xw1hGE5WmYY7kw

Progress on the athletics complex
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#2073 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:40 pm

UCF wrote:JD has me convinced he deserves another contract at this point. I didn’t have have high hopes but he’s got the team playing at a competitive level.

Should we talk about the fact that we were picked last in the conference, and despite a good start and some huge wins, we're tied for last place? He definitely has us competing, and we've done better in games than I thought we would this year, but we're still losing. His offense is still anemic and, to be honest, embarrassing. I feel like Dawkins is the coach who can get any team to play amazing defense and keep you in games, but he needs 1-2 guys who can create the offense on their own and make things happen, because his play design is non-existent.

Maybe if Mikey Williams is actually here next year, and some of the incoming freshman or transfers can boost our offense we'll be surprisingly good.

I'm still not on the fire Dawkins bus because I do think he's done a lot with sub-optimal recruits and transfers, but if he doesn't turn it around pretty quickly with some incoming good classes (which he does have this year) I think he needs to be on the hot seat.

edit: Clarifying above: I don't think he should be on the hot seat yet, he's in limbo for me, lol. If we're in the bottom 3-4 next year, I think he goes on the hot seat. If we don't make the tournament in the first 3 years ( (maaaaybe 4 depending on extenuating circumstances) in the Big 12, I think it's time to look elsewhere.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#2074 » by UCF » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:32 am

Yeah, the second half of conference play hasn’t been good. I think he should get at least another year. I also don’t know if we could get a better head coach at this point. This conference is brutal for basketball.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 950

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway 

Post#2075 » by Residual-Heat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:12 am

Mosley, Finch and OKC coach are finalists for COY award.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,667

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway 

Post#2076 » by Howard Mass » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:35 am

This is over 100.

Please lock this up and start a new thread.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Orlando Magic