ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,076

Re: #8 UCF [10-0] @ Tampa 

Post#41 » by UCF » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:01 pm

You’re right about the AAC being a notch below overall. That doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions to that.

Last year doesn’t count, but it does, in its own unique way. It helps swat away that this season is just a fluke at the level we’re performing.

I don’t expect you, as a USF fan, to ever see us as a notch above. After next season I could see us taking a step backward if we don’t find a QB to continue the momentum.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,433

Post#42 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:36 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:First off, I expect a 64-12 esque game this weekend. USF is a deflated team that's extremely poorly coached and matches up very badly with UCF.

But - and I realize this will go over badly - do you really think UCF is objectively QUALIFIED (read: not "skilled") to get into the CFP?

They played 1 P5 team. 1 ranked team (zero which remain ranked). The SOS is complete trash compared to other CFP candidates.

I'm not suggesting you wouldn't compete in a CFP matchup per se, I'm suggesting the schedule just gives us no objective way to state you should be there. You can only play your schedule and you (mostly) dominated it. But, it was filled with nobodies the past 2 seasons. Unfortunately, we have no "signal" that you can actually hang with CFP programs besides the bowl game last year; which last year is irrelevant to this year.

The AAC sucks fellas. And so has your OOC schedule. It's like a Camry beating a bunch of other Honda's in a race. Maybe the Camry would compete against a Lambo but if I have 6 other Lambos to choose from why would I, as the organizer of a race, pick the Camry unless I saw it beat, at least, a BMW a couple times?

As it currently stands, no. I actually think we're ranked in the right range. I might move us up 1 spot because I think Oklahoma is overrated, but objectively that's about it. But that's as it currently stands. I fully expect a few more losses to teams above us, and at that point I think we move up again. I think we probably end up at 6th in two weeks, because I don't think the chaos needed above us will happen. We get close, maybe even 5th. But if we wind up in 4th it's because teams above us blow it.

Regarding the AAC's strength, it's no doubt this is a down year for the conference. The conference was much stronger last year when Memphis, Navy, and USF were all having better years. This year? Navy is bad, Memphis is inconsistent and just ok, and USF is pretty mediocre. Houston, if healthy, was the CCG opponent UCF needed to put another notch in their belt, but they faltered. Even if they make it the win will be diminished with King out. If we face Memphis again it doesn't do much either except give us a chance to redeem that 1 point come from behind victory in the rain.

But I don't think it's THAT significantly different than the ACC, Pac12, or BigXII, especially the ACC this year which is having a pretty bad year itself. I think the Big 10 and the SEC are a step above those 3, and the gap between those two groups (SEC/Big10 vs ACC/Pac12/BigXII) is larger than the gap between the AAC and the ACC/Pac/BigXII. (edit: I think UCF would be competing for each of those 3 conference titles right now and still be in the hunt, they might have a loss, but they'd still be fighting for a shot at the playoff).

Side note: You discount our Cincy win because they're no longer Top 25, while discounting our Pitt win because they weren't Top 25 at the time we won. Both are quality wins, but if you're going to discount, pick a method.

The point I keep coming back to is not that UCF should be in the Top 4, it's that they should be in the playoff. If the playoff isn't big enough to allow an undefeated team in FBS to settle it on the field, the playoff needs to be changed. And that's all that matters. We can argue about SOS and quality of losses, and top 25 ranked teams until the day we die. But sports are meant to be settled on the field. Until we do so, UCF fans will continue to claim what they need to if it helps get them that shot.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,154

Post#43 » by tiderulz » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:08 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
N4U|Redux wrote:First off, I expect a 64-12 esque game this weekend. USF is a deflated team that's extremely poorly coached and matches up very badly with UCF.

But - and I realize this will go over badly - do you really think UCF is objectively QUALIFIED (read: not "skilled") to get into the CFP?

They played 1 P5 team. 1 ranked team (zero which remain ranked). The SOS is complete trash compared to other CFP candidates.

I'm not suggesting you wouldn't compete in a CFP matchup per se, I'm suggesting the schedule just gives us no objective way to state you should be there. You can only play your schedule and you (mostly) dominated it. But, it was filled with nobodies the past 2 seasons. Unfortunately, we have no "signal" that you can actually hang with CFP programs besides the bowl game last year; which last year is irrelevant to this year.

The AAC sucks fellas. And so has your OOC schedule. It's like a Camry beating a bunch of other Honda's in a race. Maybe the Camry would compete against a Lambo but if I have 6 other Lambos to choose from why would I, as the organizer of a race, pick the Camry unless I saw it beat, at least, a BMW a couple times?

As it currently stands, no. I actually think we're ranked in the right range. I might move us up 1 spot because I think Oklahoma is overrated, but objectively that's about it. But that's as it currently stands. I fully expect a few more losses to teams above us, and at that point I think we move up again. I think we probably end up at 6th in two weeks, because I don't think the chaos needed above us will happen. We get close, maybe even 5th. But if we wind up in 4th it's because teams above us blow it.

Regarding the AAC's strength, it's no doubt this is a down year for the conference. The conference was much stronger last year when Memphis, Navy, and USF were all having better years. This year? Navy is bad, Memphis is inconsistent and just ok, and USF is pretty mediocre. Houston, if healthy, was the CCG opponent UCF needed to put another notch in their belt, but they faltered. Even if they make it the win will be diminished with King out. If we face Memphis again it doesn't do much either except give us a chance to redeem that 1 point come from behind victory in the rain.

But I don't think it's THAT significantly different than the ACC, Pac12, or BigXII, especially the ACC this year which is having a pretty bad year itself. I think the Big 10 and the SEC are a step above those 3, and the gap between those two groups (SEC/Big10 vs ACC/Pac12/BigXII) is larger than the gap between the AAC and the ACC/Pac/BigXII. (edit: I think UCF would be competing for each of those 3 conference titles right now and still be in the hunt, they might have a loss, but they'd still be fighting for a shot at the playoff).

Side note: You discount our Cincy win because they're no longer Top 25, while discounting our Pitt win because they weren't Top 25 at the time we won. Both are quality wins, but if you're going to discount, pick a method.

The point I keep coming back to is not that UCF should be in the Top 4, it's that they should be in the playoff. If the playoff isn't big enough to allow an undefeated team in FBS to settle it on the field, the playoff needs to be changed. And that's all that matters. We can argue about SOS and quality of losses, and top 25 ranked teams until the day we die. But sports are meant to be settled on the field. Until we do so, UCF fans will continue to claim what they need to if it helps get them that shot.

I would put you guys above LSU. LSU is a good team, but they have lost twice. yeah, to a highly ranked team in Bama but also to Florida who is good but not great. they beat Auburn and Miami, but those wins dont look as good anymore. I think Wash St is a bit overrated too. their best wins are against a 7-4 Oregon and 6-4 Stanford. The game against Washington will be interesting.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#44 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:24 pm

tiderulz wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:

I would put you guys above LSU. LSU is a good team, but they have lost twice. yeah, to a highly ranked team in Bama but also to Florida who is good but not great. they beat Auburn and Miami, but those wins dont look as good anymore. I think Wash St is a bit overrated too. their best wins are against a 7-4 Oregon and 6-4 Stanford. The game against Washington will be interesting.

Yea I agree. I think we jump LSU if we stay undefeated after the CCG, just because LSU won't be in one.

And it's rivalry weekend. Crazy things always happen. I'm just hoping it's not UCF's turn. We've lost enough to USF in the past. :P
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#45 » by nymets1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:40 pm

If USF is giving away free tickets, How do they know or do they know that they'll be rooting for USF? Someone could receive a free ticket thats not a USF fan and be like free ticket of course i'm going. If your smart you wouldn't publicly announce that your not a USF fan, You would be quiet and say to yourself, Thanks for the free ticket(s). Because if your dumb and you tell the person giving away the ticket that your not a USF fan, Than you probably don't get the ticket.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#46 » by silent1900 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Ok, so if Houston beats Memphis, they win the West.

But if Memphis wins, there could be a four way tie between HOU, MEM, SMU, and Tulane. Do we know who would be in the CCG if that is the case? Head-to-head looks unclear as a tiebreaker...
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#47 » by nymets1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:26 pm

If Memphis beats houston, We have to wait to see if SMU/ Tulane win or lose. I believe Tulane would play us because Tulane owns the tiebreaker over Memphis. But Memphis owns the tiebreaker over SMU, So Memphis would get in over SMU.

Tulane has a favorable matchup at home vs Navy so that's on Tulane if they can't beat Navy at home lol.
SMU is at Tulsa, I guess that game could go either way?
Memphis and Houston, I think can go either way?
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#48 » by silent1900 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:21 pm

nymets1 wrote:If Memphis beats houston, We have to wait to see if SMU/ Tulane win or lose. I believe Tulane would play us because Tulane owns the tiebreaker over Memphis. But Memphis owns the tiebreaker over SMU, So Memphis would get in over SMU.

Tulane has a favorable matchup at home vs Navy so that's on Tulane if they can't beat Navy at home lol.
SMU is at Tulsa, I guess that game could go either way?
Memphis and Houston, I think can go either way?

Actually, if those four teams end up tied, it looks like it would be SMU in the Championship game.

First tiebreaker is head-to-head with all tied teams, and Memphis and SMU would be tied at 2-1.

Second tiebreaker would be divisional record, and SMU is 4-1 versus Memphis 3-2.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#49 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:35 pm

UCF wrote:You’re right about the AAC being a notch below overall. That doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions to that.

Last year doesn’t count, but it does, in its own unique way. It helps swat away that this season is just a fluke at the level we’re performing.

I don’t expect you, as a USF fan, to ever see us as a notch above. After next season I could see us taking a step backward if we don’t find a QB to continue the momentum.

It's not about me as a USF fan. You have a bottom-1/3 strength of schedule. Period. I wouldn't care if Alabama had such a terrible SOS and tried to suggest they should be in the CFP. Nobody with a SOS in the 75+ range has the body of work to say they're top 4 in the country. It doesn't mean you're not Top 4 quality. It means you didn't have the opportunity to show it. Which is just what the P5 wants.

Alabama. Clemson. Ohio State. Oklahoma, Michigan. Notre Dame. Etc. All absolutely murder your SOS.

I can't help you understand how unfair it is to other beauty pageant contestants (that is CFP) that your fan base is trying to suggest it should jump others that actually competed in all the competitions while you (through no fault of your own) skipped the swimsuit and intelligence tests because of bad scheduling and hurricanes cancelling games.

Your main gripe should be demonstrating why the CFP shouldn't be arranged how it is. Not that you deserve to be there as it's manifested currently.

P.S. Last year still means nothing, those players are gone. So are the coaches. And, frankly, you had a terrible SOS last year too. Next year is more of the same. 4-loss Stanford and a lot of hot garbage. https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/ucf. If you ran the table against USF 2019 schedule (BYU, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech) you have more merit. That's the type of schedule you need to have; which is a fluke for USF to have, btw, not trying to suggest we schedule better or something (probably the contrary).
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,076

Post#50 » by UCF » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:05 am

The real gripe I have is it isn’t determined on the field who can be a champion. Schedules knock out 70% of the field by your logic. It also makes it impossible for USF (or any AAC team) to ever win a CFP national championship as well.

The AAC doesn’t get the credit it deserves as a league to boost strength of schedule. I agree it’s a stretch for us to make #4. However, a 2 loss LSU doesn’t deserve the right to make the playoffs for losing to the right teams over an undefeated but lower quality schedule. They had their chances and blew it.

The playoff should be about conference champions determining a true champion on the field. That way if you have a really hard league like the SEC you don’t have to be perfect to prove you’re better than the field. On the flip side, if your schedule doesn’t carry the weight it gives you a chance to prove you deserve to win it all. It’s equitable and what we now is not.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#51 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:31 am

N4U|Redux wrote:
UCF wrote:You’re right about the AAC being a notch below overall. That doesn’t mean there aren’t exceptions to that.

It's not about me as a USF fan. You have a bottom-1/3 strength of schedule. Period. I wouldn't care if Alabama had such a terrible SOS and tried to suggest they should be in the CFP. Nobody with a SOS in the 75+ range has the body of work to say they're top 4 in the country. It doesn't mean you're not Top 4 quality. It means you didn't have the opportunity to show it. Which is just what the P5 wants.

Alabama. Clemson. Ohio State. Oklahoma, Michigan. Notre Dame. Etc. All absolutely murder your SOS.

I can't help you understand how unfair it is to other beauty pageant contestants (that is CFP) that your fan base is trying to suggest it should jump others that actually competed in all the competitions while you (through no fault of your own) skipped the swimsuit and intelligence tests because of bad scheduling and hurricanes cancelling games.

Your main gripe should be demonstrating why the CFP shouldn't be arranged how it is. Not that you deserve to be there as it's manifested currently.

P.S. Last year still means nothing, those players are gone. So are the coaches. And, frankly, you had a terrible SOS last year too. Next year is more of the same. 4-loss Stanford and a lot of hot garbage. https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/ucf. If you ran the table against USF 2019 schedule (BYU, Wisconsin, Georgia Tech) you have more merit. That's the type of schedule you need to have; which is a fluke for USF to have, btw, not trying to suggest we schedule better or something (probably the contrary).

Our schedule would have more merit against a 7-4 Wisconsin, 7-4 Georgia Tech, and 6-5 BYU? Maybe a smidge, but not much. The problem is G5s are asked to predict the future several years out. What if we had FSU, TCU, and Ole Miss? That looks good on paper, but this year not a one has a winning record.

I get it. SOS is important, you can't just let a team play nobody and get a high ranking. But you also can't ignore them when they go undefeated just because their schedule didn't work out. And because the playoff is limited ucf is left with no choice but to rally behind their record, regardless of SOS, and hope to either squeeze their way in with chaos ahead of them or change the playoff through publicity and pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Post#52 » by drsd » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:48 pm

From ESPN:
It has been more than a month since South Florida has won a game. It has been just over 23 months since UCF has lost one.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,257

Post#53 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 pm

Great int

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,257

Post#54 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Terrible int

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,874

Post#55 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:13 pm

OMG Milton's leg is broke bad.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#56 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:14 pm

It looked like Hayward or Paul George type break.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,505

Post#57 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Horrible injury. Wishing Milton a quick recovery.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#58 » by basketballRob » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:17 pm

He's definitely not going to be back this year.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,719

Post#59 » by Knightro » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:22 pm

Milton :(

Poor kid.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#60 » by Viper1500 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:28 pm

I can’t believe this.. f***ing terrible!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Return to Orlando Magic