ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,184

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Football (3-3) and Mercifully on a Bye Week 

Post#2021 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:40 pm

Going to be a long day lmao. This team is awful and they just extended Gus who keeps running off good quarterbacks...lmao.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,484

Post#2022 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:27 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Going to be a long day lmao. This team is awful and they just extended Gus who keeps running off good quarterbacks...lmao.

Got a chance here.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,099

Post#2023 » by Dirk » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:36 pm

Just pass the ball dummy.

60/21/10
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Post#2024 » by dsg2003mach1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:40 pm

trick play on the 2 point seemed pretty stupid... the onside kick attempt was a damned good one

that being said, they finally played a pretty solid game end to end. They play like that the rest of the season, they'll be alright.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#2025 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:13 pm

dsg2003mach1 wrote:trick play on the 2 point seemed pretty stupid... the onside kick attempt was a damned good one

that being said, they finally played a pretty solid game end to end. They play like that the rest of the season, they'll be alright.

2pt attempt was hilariously awful.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,419

Post#2026 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:28 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
dsg2003mach1 wrote:trick play on the 2 point seemed pretty stupid... the onside kick attempt was a damned good one

2pt attempt was hilariously awful.

I believe all four of our 2-pt attempts this season have been trick plays that have failed. I don't mind trying to get creative but this one was just horrendously executed, and Townsend needs to have the wherewithal to know to at least put it up. You can't just go down there, there's zero purpose to not at least floating it towards the end zone and praying Baker makes a play on it.

Team played a great game though, especially the defense. If that team shows up we could easily get to 7 or even 8 wins (if we win out). The schedule is easier than it's been. At this point I'm just hoping we can get to bowl eligible though.

Team just plays different with JRP at the helm.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Football (3-4), vs WVU, Sat at noon 

Post#2027 » by basketballRob » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:02 am

Is Isaac injured?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#2028 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:32 pm

Really questioning Mulzan's recruiting and the teams lack of discipline...

dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#2029 » by dsg2003mach1 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:02 pm

<sigh>

penalties and turnovers galore
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#2030 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:04 pm

What a joke of a team. We really extended Gus???

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 585

Post#2031 » by MasterGMer » Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:12 pm

Our defense is horrible. We need a new DC bad. Plus outside of recruiting, I am not seeing any positive gains from Gus this past 3 seasons
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#2032 » by Viper1500 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:38 am

That Baylor loss destroyed our morale. Weak minded team unfortunately
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#2033 » by dsg2003mach1 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:02 pm

Viper1500 wrote:That Baylor loss destroyed our morale. Weak minded team unfortunately

eh, I thought the OU game showed otherwise. Ridiculous turnovers and penalties just seems to be the UCF way
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#2034 » by OrlMagic05 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:53 pm

Gus has always been a great recruiter, but hes an awful coach. How do you have the best recruiting class in program history, and have one of the worst seasons. I am tired of JRP. Ole Miss knew he wasnt a QB and made the change.
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#2035 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:02 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote: I am tired of JRP. Ole Miss knew he wasnt a QB and made the change.

this, when he's bad he's horrific and doesn't seem to be much middle ground, he's a light switch
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#2036 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:05 pm

Combination of a few things. There's been some bad luck (way more tipped passes into INTs than usual, that one this weekend was ridiculous. A good WR drops it, it hits his foot and kicks into the air where the defender is waiting), but the biggest thing has been the defense and the offense not being in control.

Offense - Despite putting up good yards and having some really good plays, the offense sputters in the red zone a lot, tries too many trick plays at the wrong time, there have been far too many drops in the redzone that turn into turnovers, the play calling on the goal line is often terrible. Our offensive line isn't big enough IMO. It's been better the last few weeks, but in the early season we were also just going too fast in the beginning of a game and putting up points but then gassing our defense. This has gotten a little better in terms of controlling the clock. Our offense is still pretty decent though, at least in putting up respectable points.

Defense - This is the biggest issue right now. I know a lot of people yesterday were complaining about turnovers, but the defense forced ONE punt. You need to be able to get off the field, and right now we're just not. We have some decent players, but as a unit they're just not playing well. It's really disappointing, I thought maybe they had turned it around with OU, but this week was embarrassing.

Gus - I know a lot of fans right now are on the fire Gus bus. But i'm not there yet. We knew this year was going to be challenging. The week to week competition is just insanely higher in the Big 12. That's not to say we can't compete, we clearly can, but we fall short in certain areas and it's a combination of some poor coaching, but also just need time for recruiting to get there. Gus is killing it on recruiting, I think we just need a season or two to get those guys in, plus the transfer portal.

Also, his buyout right now is like $15m this year, $7.5m after next or something like that. He's not going anywhere for a year or two. So might as well just calm down on the fire talk and hope he can turn it around next season.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#2037 » by Kent » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:46 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Combination of a few things. There's been some bad luck (way more tipped passes into TDs than usual, that one this weekend was ridiculous. A good WR drops it, it hits his foot and kicks into the air where the defender is waiting), but the biggest thing has been the defense and the offense not being in control.

Great post. Agreed.

If fans kept the big picture in view, they'd see the future is still just as bright as it was before the season started.

This train has been generating positive momentum for over a decade and it's only going to pick up. That tagline "the future of college football is here" is not just marketing speak — UCF supports today's landscape and beyond. It just does.

I can smile and laugh after a loss because I know what's coming.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
dsg2003mach1
Senior

Post#2038 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:06 pm

Kent wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:Combination of a few things. There's been some bad luck (way more tipped passes into TDs than usual, that one this weekend was ridiculous. A good WR drops it, it hits his foot and kicks into the air where the defender is waiting), but the biggest thing has been the defense and the offense not being in control.

Great post. Agreed.

If fans kept the big picture in view, they'd see the future is still just as bright as it was before the season started.

This train has been generating positive momentum for over a decade and it's only going to pick up. That tagline "the future of college football is here" is not just marketing speak — UCF supports today's landscape and beyond. It just does.

in the long term I agree... this season, however, is about to be a total loss. My main concern is what it may do to recruiting - not hard to flip people these days
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#2039 » by OrlandoMagic » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:07 pm

I’m sorry guys this team is just not good. Or at least not built for the big 12. I’ve been a season ticket holder for years now and the chemistry between just the players alone is off and alarming to me. Also our defense to me has already checked out on Williams for whatever reason unknown.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#2040 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:14 pm

dsg2003mach1 wrote:
Kent wrote:

Great post. Agreed.

in the long term I agree... this season, however, is about to be a total loss. My main concern is what it may do to recruiting - not hard to flip people these days

Eh. Plenty of teams have bad seasons and still have top recruiting classes. There's a lot that goes into a recruit's decision, and while winning of course helps, it's on the lower end of the deal breakers. To me, the biggest factors seem to be NIL, a chance at early playing time, staying close to home (so they can play in front of family, friends, and be the hometown hero, go home often, etc), and their connection and relationship with the coaches and recruiting staff.

Recruits also are just like every other athlete, have big chips on their shoulders, and i'm sure they chat nonstop with the other commits and tell themselves that they'll turn it around and be the ones to win the conference.

That's not to say it doesn't factor in somewhat. If it's a coin toss between UCF and another school, maybe it sways them to the other side, or at least makes them hesitate a bit more. But I'd say it's a fairly minor impact on recruiting in the end. At least I hope i'm right. If we start seeing a mass decommittment I'll eat my words, haha.

Return to Orlando Magic