ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread (1-0): @ Boise State 

Post#1981 » by Knightro » Tue Sep 5, 2023 3:25 pm

What's more real - lifestyle creep or college football fandom creep? :lol:

UCF wins by 50, racks up over 700 yards of offense and generally speaking no one is all that happy about it.

Just a sign of the times as a CFB fan.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#1982 » by UCF » Tue Sep 5, 2023 5:47 pm

Expectations have changed. As a fan base we expect to win and that’s a bit weird for me as a long time fan. I’ve seen both winless years in person as a season ticket holder. I think this year we go 8-4 if I’m being honest with my expectations.
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Post#1983 » by dsg2003mach1 » Tue Sep 5, 2023 6:47 pm

Knightro wrote:What's more real - lifestyle creep or college football fandom creep? :lol:

UCF wins by 50, racks up over 700 yards of offense and generally speaking no one is all that happy about it.

Just a sign of the times as a CFB fan.

the week to week hot take stuff is definitely nuts.

I was perfectly happy with the win - they took care of business like they should.

At the same time, those kind of turnovers against better teams aren't going to end well and it's a continuation of mistakes that cost them multiple games last year.
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#1984 » by Kent » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:33 am

UCF wrote:Expectations have changed. As a fan base we expect to win and that’s a bit weird for me as a long time fan. I’ve seen both winless years in person as a season ticket holder. I think this year we go 8-4 if I’m being honest with my expectations.

An 8-4 inaugural season in a Power 5 conference is really respectable so I'm with you.

The move to the Big 12 can help reset expectations after those back-to-back undefeated regular seasons. Now we can enjoy the wins and appreciate the journey again.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#1985 » by OrlandoMagic » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:30 am

Starting to realize I don’t think my heart is going to be able to handle the big 12 :lol:
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#1986 » by Viper1500 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:56 am

Update on Plumlee?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1987 » by Knightro » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:38 pm

Viper1500 wrote:Update on Plumlee?

Nothing yet, but it stands to reason he'll be inactive against an FCS team next week regardless even if his injuries aren't severe.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,419

Post#1988 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:46 pm

The team looked really good IMO, just had some really unfortunate and badly timed turnovers/bounces. Two TDs basically nullified because the receivers bobbled the passes and it fell into a defenders lap. The first one, maybe you could argue it was a little high, but Hudson should've caught it. The second was literally in Baker's breadbasket and he somehow bobbled it and basically tossed it into the defender.

Outside of that JRP looked poised, made good throws, made the right decisions for the most part, etc. Hopefully his injury isn't too severe and he's in back in a few weeks. But I won't be surprised if he's done for the year either the way his leg bent.

I thought McClain looked good in the limited action he got against Kent State. He's experienced so hopefully he'll be able to manage with JRP out. I get more worried about depth at this point if something were to also happen to McClain. After him I think it's a true freshman (Dylan Rizk), and after him I don't even know.

Defense looked inconsistent at times, but at the end of the day only gave up one touchdown and 16 points. Boise hadn't lost their home owner in over 20 years, so this was a nice win.
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Post#1989 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:46 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:The team looked really good IMO, just had some really unfortunate and badly timed turnovers/bounces. Two TDs basically nullified because the receivers bobbled the passes and it fell into a defenders lap. The first one, maybe you could argue it was a little high, but Hudson should've caught it. The second was literally in Baker's breadbasket and he somehow bobbled it and basically tossed it into the defender.

Outside of that JRP looked poised, made good throws, made the right decisions for the most part, etc. Hopefully his injury isn't too severe and he's in back in a few weeks. But I won't be surprised if he's done for the year either the way his leg bent.

I thought McClain looked good in the limited action he got against Kent State. He's experienced so hopefully he'll be able to manage with JRP out. I get more worried about depth at this point if something were to also happen to McClain. After him I think it's a true freshman (Dylan Rizk), and after him I don't even know.

Defense looked inconsistent at times, but at the end of the day only gave up one touchdown and 16 points. Boise hadn't lost their home owner in over 20 years, so this was a nice win.

i didnt get to catch much of the game, didn't realize he hurt his leg. The glimpse I caught on the bar tv was thinking concussion on a possible targeting call as he going down. Hope we get an update soon, kinda feels like the more time that passes the less likely it's good news
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 768

Post#1990 » by CZ Eddie » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
Keep your politics out of my sports
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1991 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:17 pm

dsg2003mach1 wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:The team looked really good IMO, just had some really unfortunate and badly timed turnovers/bounces. Two TDs basically nullified because the receivers bobbled the passes and it fell into a defenders lap. The first one, maybe you could argue it was a little high, but Hudson should've caught it. The second was literally in Baker's breadbasket and he somehow bobbled it and basically tossed it into the defender.

i didnt get to catch much of the game, didn't realize he hurt his leg. The glimpse I caught on the bar tv was thinking concussion on a possible targeting call as he going down. Hope we get an update soon, kinda feels like the more time that passes the less likely it's good news

Basically he went to slide, his foot got caught in the turf (another reason turf sucks), and as he got hit his foot was stuck and it went really awkwardly.

Thankfully it won't require surgery and he'll hopefully be back in a few weeks. Maybe he's back by Oklahoma?

For now, in Timmy we trust.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread (2-0): v. Villanova 9/16 on ESPN+ 

Post#1992 » by Knightro » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:42 pm

I have full faith in Timmy.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,702

Post#1993 » by Viper1500 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:09 am

Knightro wrote:I have full faith in Timmy.

He's a good QB. I'm hoping it's not a huge loss.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant

Post#1994 » by OrlandoMagic » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:19 pm

If I’ve never mentioned it throughout the years before I will say it. I absolutely HATE any ranking prior to week 4 at minimum. NOBODY has any clue how any team will be and always base rankings on the previous year.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1995 » by UCFJayBird » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:31 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:If I’ve never mentioned it throughout the years before I will say it. I absolutely HATE any ranking prior to week 4 at minimum. NOBODY has any clue how any team will be and always base rankings on the previous year.

Agreed. I wish there was an agreed upon moratorium amongst the major polls and sports sites to not do polls until at least after Week 4 (ideally not until after Week 6 IMO). It'll never happen though, since fans would just flock to the random site polls that would still pop up and those would get used and shared by fans to get hyped, taunt each other, etc.

At best I think would be maybe if the major broadcasters could agree not to use the rankings in their coverage for a few weeks. It'd be great if ESPN, Fox, etc all agreed "we'll have our own polls, we'll see other polls out there, but we won't have the rankings on screen and we won't reference them until X week." Something like that would make a lot of sense and is actually possible and I don't think fans would largely care.

It still will never happen, but nice to dream, haha.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#1996 » by tiderulz » Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:55 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
OrlandoMagic wrote:If I’ve never mentioned it throughout the years before I will say it. I absolutely HATE any ranking prior to week 4 at minimum. NOBODY has any clue how any team will be and always base rankings on the previous year.

Agreed. I wish there was an agreed upon moratorium amongst the major polls and sports sites to not do polls until at least after Week 4 (ideally not until after Week 6 IMO). It'll never happen though, since fans would just flock to the random site polls that would still pop up and those would get used and shared by fans to get hyped, taunt each other, etc.

At best I think would be maybe if the major broadcasters could agree not to use the rankings in their coverage for a few weeks. It'd be great if ESPN, Fox, etc all agreed "we'll have our own polls, we'll see other polls out there, but we won't have the rankings on screen and we won't reference them until X week." Something like that would make a lot of sense and is actually possible and I don't think fans would largely care.

It still will never happen, but nice to dream, haha.

its a topic that goes on for weeks before the season starts. what else are they going to talk about?
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#1997 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:01 pm

I was at the Boise game. Fun city, great people.
That game was unnecessarily super stressful. We shot ourselves in the foot multiple times. Thank you, Boomer. Just glad we found a way to win.

I’ll be stunned if we see Plumlee as quickly as folks are saying. Hopefully Timmy has an easy weekend to get acclimated.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,009

Post#1998 » by Ducklett » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:54 pm

Plumee was pretty fun to watch. Sucks he will be out for a while. At least UCF looks a lot better than my Gators! I have a bad feeling about this weekend against Tenn.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant

Re: Official UCF Sports Thread: Football (3-0) at Kansas State 9/23 on FS1 

Post#2000 » by OrlandoMagic » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:33 pm

If we win this week is that good enough to get us ranked?

Return to Orlando Magic