ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,022

Re: The Official Jalen Suggs Thread 

Post#1501 » by fendilim » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:28 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:The backcourt is eventually going to be Suggs/Black.. maybe by year 3 for Black.. Suggs will be in year 5.They envisioned those two guys playing a lot basketball together. That's when they'll start contending for a championship.. the window opens in year 5 for Suggs and Wagner.

Black has a lot of work to do to be a starting PG on a contender - I hope you’re right

Imo, he doesnt have to be starting pg level. At the minimum, has to be a decent 3 and D guy who can sometimes initiate the offense. Similar to Jrue/White. Because like Suggs’ situation, Banchero or Franz really carries most of the load on offense. That’s why Harris & Suggs backcourt works. Also, we dont need a high usage guy to eat up the dynamic duo of Franz and Paolo’s usage.

Black is on the right track. Just needs to get his body physically ready to compete against men. Because right now, he is getting manhandled. Although Black is trying, he is simply a deer on headlight right now, unfortunately.

Imo, this is also why Black isn’t getting minutes, unlike early in the season. Mosely is already experimenting different lineups for the playoffs. You can already see him trying out different lineups. In fact, he has even tighten his rotations against contenders.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#1502 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:50 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Suggs / Franz / Paolo don't nor haven't put in any work at all? :dontknow:

What do you mean?

Exactly what I said? Let me go check my pulse.

Nobody is saying that Black is ready to step in today.

But if we are saying your line.

"Player X has a lot of work to do to be starting Y position on a contender" could apply to every single player on our team today.

Slow day today?

My point was, Black has to improve before I pencil him in as a starter on a contender. Paolo and Franz were easily identified as building blocks in year 1, so I don’t really understand your point.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#1503 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:54 pm

fendilim wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:The backcourt is eventually going to be Suggs/Black.. maybe by year 3 for Black.. Suggs will be in year 5.They envisioned those two guys playing a lot basketball together. That's when they'll start contending for a championship.. the window opens in year 5 for Suggs and Wagner.

Black has a lot of work to do to be a starting PG on a contender - I hope you’re right

Imo, he doesnt have to be starting pg level. At the minimum, has to be a decent 3 and D guy who can sometimes initiate the offense. Similar to Jrue/White. Because like Suggs’ situation, Banchero or Franz really carries most of the load on offense. That’s why Harris & Suggs backcourt works. Also, we dont need a high usage guy to eat up the dynamic duo of Franz and Paolo’s usage.

Black is on the right track. Just needs to get his body physically ready to compete against men. Because right now, he is getting manhandled. Although Black is trying, he is simply a deer on headlight right now, unfortunately.

Imo, this is also why Black isn’t getting minutes, unlike early in the season. Mosely is already experimenting different lineups for the playoffs. You can already see him trying out different lineups. In fact, he has even tighten his rotations against contenders.

Sorry I don’t agree with the bold - I think our starting PG will need to be starting PG caliber as we continue to move forward and expectations rise. And also Jrue and White are great players - definitely starting level haha

I agree with the rest of your post though
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,487

Post#1504 » by ibraheim718 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:02 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Already thinking of Suggs in Madison Square Garden on prime time national TV. :lol:

ehh, i dont know why people always talk about "Madison Square Garden" like its some special place. yeah, basketball arena in one of the bigger cities in the world. So what, Knicks have sucked for decades. Pauley Pavillion was the mecca of college basketball for years, no one talks about playing there. or the craziness that used to be at Duke and UNC.

Let's be fair.. it's talked about being a special place because of all the huge events that have been held there.. it's not because of Knicks basketball. The Rangers also won a championship at the garden.. there have been historic concerts and huge boxing events held there. It's a historic venue and that should at least be respected. There really isn't a venue that comes close when you consider history. Now that's not even including the amount of stars that attend games at the garden or its location.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,366

Post#1505 » by Knightro » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:25 pm

Read on Twitter
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#1506 » by tiderulz » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:02 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Already thinking of Suggs in Madison Square Garden on prime time national TV. :lol:

ehh, i dont know why people always talk about "Madison Square Garden" like its some special place. yeah, basketball arena in one of the bigger cities in the world. So what, Knicks have sucked for decades. Pauley Pavillion was the mecca of college basketball for years, no one talks about playing there. or the craziness that used to be at Duke and UNC.

Let's be fair.. it's talked about being a special place because of all the huge events that have been held there.. it's not because of Knicks basketball. The Rangers also won a championship at the garden.. there have been historic concerts and huge boxing events held there. It's a historic venue and that should at least be respected. There really isn't a venue that comes close when you consider history. Now that's not even including the amount of stars that attend games at the garden or its location.

ehh, maybe to New Yorkers.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#1507 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:05 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:ehh, i dont know why people always talk about "Madison Square Garden" like its some special place. yeah, basketball arena in one of the bigger cities in the world. So what, Knicks have sucked for decades. Pauley Pavillion was the mecca of college basketball for years, no one talks about playing there. or the craziness that used to be at Duke and UNC.

Believe what you want...but lots of players get a rise out of playing in the "Mecca". It's talked about a lot. You also don't see a building full of ORL jerseys when we get there - so that's something about the fanbase (just a huge city to draw from obviously).
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,835

Post#1508 » by RookieStar » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:52 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:ehh, i dont know why people always talk about "Madison Square Garden" like its some special place. yeah, basketball arena in one of the bigger cities in the world. So what, Knicks have sucked for decades. Pauley Pavillion was the mecca of college basketball for years, no one talks about playing there. or the craziness that used to be at Duke and UNC.

Not really... all around the world casual or sports minded people has heard of places like MSG , Staples Center , Ceasars palace, Yankee Stadium , Travis Diener waterhouse Centre, Boston Garden , etc etc.

Its not really about the home team but the prestige of playing there..
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,465

Post#1509 » by Bensational » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:12 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Sorry I don’t agree with the bold - I think our starting PG will need to be starting PG caliber as we continue to move forward and expectations rise. And also Jrue and White are great players - definitely starting level haha

Suggs and JRue have near matching 3rd season numbers except Suggs has much better shooting efficiency and plays significantly less minutes, so by per36 Suggs is actually looking better across the board except for assists. Suggs is already a much higher volume shooter than JRue was to start his career. I think the playmaking will come to him in time, too, as the game continues to slow down for him.

If Black has Suggs’ level of competitiveness then he’ll find his spot on the team for sure. If he just mirrors what Suggs did and focuses on defense and increased 3pt shooting we’ll see huge improvements for the team. When Black has a better feel for running the offense, that’s a whole new level of team cohesion to contend with.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#1510 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:57 pm

Bensational wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
fendilim wrote:Imo, he doesnt have to be starting pg level. At the minimum, has to be a decent 3 and D guy who can sometimes initiate the offense. Similar to Jrue/White. Because like Suggs’ situation, Banchero or Franz really carries most of the load on offense. That’s why Harris & Suggs backcourt works. Also, we dont need a high usage guy to eat up the dynamic duo of Franz and Paolo’s usage.

Suggs and JRue have near matching 3rd season numbers except Suggs has much better shooting efficiency and plays significantly less minutes, so by per36 Suggs is actually looking better across the board except for assists. Suggs is already a much higher volume shooter than JRue was to start his career. I think the playmaking will come to him in time, too, as the game continues to slow down for him.

If Black has Suggs’ level of competitiveness then he’ll find his spot on the team for sure. If he just mirrors what Suggs did and focuses on defense and increased 3pt shooting we’ll see huge improvements for the team. When Black has a better feel for running the offense, that’s a whole new level of team cohesion to contend with.

Suggs has been great this season and I absolutely consider him a core piece and starter moving forward.

I was talking about Black in my original post and stating I need to see more from him to pencil him in as a starter on a deep trying to make deep playoffs runs.

Suggs/Wagner/Paolo are ready to win now. I expect the FO to make a run for a starting guard to pair with Suggs and have Black getting backup mins at both guard spots. Hopefully, with more development Black becomes good enough to become a starter. Until then, lots of minutes to be had at both guard spots when Fultz walks
golfreak
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#1511 » by golfreak » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:00 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Pray to God, I hope not.
It will cost the Magic a whole lot more money.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,487

Post#1512 » by ibraheim718 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:33 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

I'm talking about athletes and musicians.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,022

Post#1513 » by fendilim » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:57 am

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Then i respectfully disagree with your starting pg caliber. I consider Jrue and White as combo guards. They are not pure pointguards
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,465

Post#1514 » by Bensational » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:16 am

OrlChamps2030 wrote:Suggs has been great this season and I absolutely consider him a core piece and starter moving forward.

I was talking about Black in my original post and stating I need to see more from him to pencil him in as a starter on a deep trying to make deep playoffs runs.

What I was getting at was that Suggs might become our JRue level player, which means there's less demand and pressure for Black to become *that kind of guy* for us. Hopefully he does, as some kind of Ingles/Igoudala hybrid.

It's going to be a great season when Suggs, Isaac and Black all decide to fight for DPOTY.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#1515 » by KillMonger » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:54 am

pay the man
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#1516 » by AaronB » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:22 pm

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I projected Suggs at getting an extension in the 4/140 or 5/155 AAS range.

Generally, this board had a cow saying it was way too high.

Since then (post all-star break) here is how Suggs has performed:

Of the qualified players since the all-star break (10 games 25 minutes/game):

#2 in NETRTG in the NBA (between Brown and Tatum)
#1 in DEFRTG in NBA
#2 in EFG% in NBA
#3 in TS% in NBA
Shooting 47% from 3

Team record with him playing: 12-1

Now I am wondering if I did not project too low of AAS.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1517 » by Skin » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:03 pm

His growth has been respectable. Starting to live up to his draft spot. He won't win DPOY but he should be an annual 6th Man of the Year candidate.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,013

Post#1518 » by MagicMatic » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:04 am

Skin wrote:His growth has been respectable. Starting to live up to his draft spot. He won't win DPOY but he should be an annual 6th Man of the Year candidate.

He starts so this makes no sense.

That’s like saying Donovan Mitchell would win sixth man of the year if he came off the bench. No ****.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#1519 » by yoyojw17 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:38 am

Skin wrote:His growth has been respectable. Starting to live up to his draft spot. He won't win DPOY but he should be an annual 6th Man of the Year candidate.

Respectable?

Hmmmmmm.... think you're selling him short. Down right impressive. Not too long ago he was a throw in for middle of the road upgrades for many people..... and now people may consider adding him as center a piece for a star. Lol
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#1520 » by Skin » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:41 am

MagicMatic wrote:

He starts so this makes no sense.

That’s like saying Donovan Mitchell would win sixth man of the year if he came off the bench. No ****.

Hahahaha you do make me laugh. I'm not talking about him winning 6th man this year. Just saying that's his ideal spot. He starts out of necessity and that is fine for now. He's doing his thing and showing big improvements.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!

Return to Orlando Magic