ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,159

Re: The Official Jalen Suggs Thread 

Post#1441 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:46 pm

Audi wrote:Anyone else feel a need to eat crow about Suggs? Not because you were ever particularly low on him or said anything bad - in fact, you always supported him - but simply because you just didn't see such a massive leap in abilities coming?

i will say, i had questions but i also thought people were too quick to judge whether he could improve his shooting or not.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 419

Post#1442 » by The-Stallion70 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:01 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
Offensively wishful thinking comparison? Yes.

But the Isaac / Suggs / Claxton potential pairing with two good to great F is our new fools gold era incoming.

Claxton is not really better than Wendell.

The correct answer to the question of "which player would make us a contender" is

-Healthy Lamelo Ball
-Haliburton
-Maybe Trae

Orlando doesn’t have the assets for any of the names you listed unless you are moving Paolo, Franz, or Suggs along with multiple picks.

Right now that's how it appears but the fact is this is what it would take to make us a contender.

Adding an all star point guard or finding one in the draft.

That's the main thing that can make the team better.

Now Paolo's job is easier, now Franz' job is easier and they can focus on taking advantages of mismatches instead of handling it all the time and being a decision maker too.

Adding an explosive scorer like Lamelo, Hali or Trae would also give us that explosive Steph-like aspect to our offense so we wouldn't have to grind out so many possessions.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#1443 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:14 pm

Audi wrote:Anyone else feel a need to eat crow about Suggs? Not because you were ever particularly low on him or said anything bad - in fact, you always supported him - but simply because you just didn't see such a massive leap in abilities coming?

Ive probably one of his biggest supporters, but yeah i definitely didnt expect him to shoot 40% from 3.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,738

Post#1444 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:16 pm

eyriq wrote:This measured Claxton highly? I'm liking it more and more.

Not this year.

Claxton Defensive EPM by Year
2020-2021: +2.7, 13th in NBA
2021-2022: +1.4, 63rd in NBA
2022-2023: +2.4, 12th in NBA
2023-2024: +0.6, 123rd in NBA

This year has statistically been the worst of his last four seasons by quite a bit. It hasn't been bad, but if you're going to commit to paying him 2-3x more than Carter, you'd definitely need him to, you know, be better than Carter.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer

Post#1445 » by The-Stallion70 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:22 pm

I don't get the love for Clax. It's like he's a fa who is available and theoretically can fit under the cap so eyriq is convincing himself that he's what we need. Even though he's not.

Claxton is a vertical spacing lob threat guy who can rebound and block shots but this is not the weakness of the team.

He's like what DeAndre Jordan was.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,103

Post#1446 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:22 pm

ive mentioned that i like Claxton before, but i am not 100% sure signing him would be a great idea. I think on the Magic Claxton would be a top 5 DPOY candidate (maybe alongside Suggs and Isaac :lol:) but he also isnt a great rebounder, very limited offensively, and is a poor FT shooter. I do like him, i just dont know if paying him double (or more) what WCJ makes is a great idea. On the other hand I love defense and we cant depend on Isaac being healthy, so it does make sense to sign him. I dont know i keep going back and forth about this.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,523

Post#1447 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:37 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:I don't get the love for Clax. It's like he's a fa who is available and theoretically can fit under the cap so eyriq is convincing himself that he's what we need. Even though he's not.

Claxton is a vertical spacing lob threat guy who can rebound and block shots but this is not the weakness of the team.

The main things I like about him are that he's young, he's mobile and switchable, has good hands, anchors the interior defense with great instincts and defensive IQ, and is elite at defensive rebounding. I think he's an upgrade over Goga who fills a similar role.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1448 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:53 pm

eyriq wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:I don't get the love for Clax. It's like he's a fa who is available and theoretically can fit under the cap so eyriq is convincing himself that he's what we need. Even though he's not.

The main things I like about him are that he's young, he's mobile and switchable, has good hands, anchors the interior defense with great instincts and defensive IQ, and is elite at defensive rebounding. I think he's an upgrade over Goga who fills a similar role.

It's as much the man Claxton as it is the idea of Claxton. We will about to have a showcased reason as to why a guy like Claxton will be valuable for us tomorrow.

Keeping it on the topic of Suggs. He is an amazing defender, and I really think if we get him + Paolo + Franz more interior help it will round out the defense and free up energy for offense as well.

This idea, that we will invest millions and millions of dollars over years on a PG when there is already millions and millions of dollars + bird rights being spent on guards from the draft is such an interesting take.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1449 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:13 pm

eyriq wrote:The main things I like about him are that he's young, he's mobile and switchable, has good hands, anchors the interior defense with great instincts and defensive IQ, and is elite at defensive rebounding. I think he's an upgrade over Goga who fills a similar role.

The problem with this logic is that Goga filled the role you're talking about for the Magic this year for just $2M.

It would cost somewhere between $20-$30M per season to ultimately get similar production from Claxton.

The upgrade in production doesn't seem to justify the cost.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,523

Post#1450 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:19 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:The main things I like about him are that he's young, he's mobile and switchable, has good hands, anchors the interior defense with great instincts and defensive IQ, and is elite at defensive rebounding. I think he's an upgrade over Goga who fills a similar role.

The problem with this logic is that Goga filled the role you're talking about for the Magic this year for just $2M.

It would cost somewhere between $20-$30M per season to ultimately get similar production from Claxton.

Goga isn't as mobile and has worse hands. You do have a point though that Goga is an option.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1451 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:30 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Goga isn't as mobile and has worse hands. You do have a point though that Goga is an option.

The best version of Goga (+2.0 EPM this year) is not better than the best version of Claxton (+3.4 EPM last year), but I think you have to ask a couple of questions.

1. How likely is it that the Magic would get the best version of Claxton?

Every other year of Claxton's career has been worse than Goga this year according to EPM. Was his outstanding 22-23 season just an outlier or is that something the Magic could unlock on a more permanent basis?

2. Is the potential difference in production worth 4x-6x more in salary?

If the Magic could resign Goga for like 2 years, $10M, but it would cost 3 years, $70M for Claxton - is that price difference actually worth it for Orlando?
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,179

Post#1452 » by MagicMatic » Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:55 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

The best version of Goga (+2.0 EPM this year) is not better than the best version of Claxton (+3.4 EPM last year), but I think you have to ask a couple of questions.

1. How likely is it that the Magic would get the best version of Claxton?

Every other year of Claxton's career has been worse than Goga this year according to EPM. Was his outstanding 22-23 season just an outlier or is that something the Magic could unlock on a more permanent basis?

2. Is the potential difference in production worth 4x-6x more in salary?

If the Magic could resign Goga for like 2 years, $10M, but it would cost 3 years, $70M for Claxton - is that price difference actually worth it for Orlando?

Goga does a portion of what Claxton does at a much lower cost and hes already on the team.

I'd rather they poach a real point guard assuming they arent resigning Fultz, Cole Anthony is in the second unit, and Anthony Black isnt ready yet for another season or two as the starting point guard.

I get the idea of getting Claxton in place of Carter for his defense... I just think if you are choosing priorities a point guard makes more sense in a deal with Carter. There are far worse scenarios than a Center rotation of Isaac, Moe, and Goga.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,117

Post#1453 » by KillMonger » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:17 pm

when do we find out all defense teams? end of season
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,374

Post#1454 » by pepe1991 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:32 pm

Why would Goga accept short mini deal, at age of 25 knowing he can end up being third stringer and by default out of nba in two years without even playing (much) in them?

Like, wouldn't you prefer, if you are him long term contract from just about anybody?

He can sign "room exstension" of around 3 years, $26M-ish a year. From his POV, it gives him security.

But all this is silly talk. "Goga does similar things like Claxton" , yea... but Goga isn't even in rotation. For past two months ( mid January) Goga hasn't even been regualr part of rotation. And only reason why he entered rotation was injury of Carter.

I just don't get this burning desire to "upgrade a center" like Carter is Zimmerman or something.

Carter is fine. Is he perfect? No. But good luck finding low usage , high accuracy 3 point shooting center that won't cost you $30M+ a year.

Anybody between Claxton, Goga, whoever, in playoffs will just clog your driving lines and do next to nothing in most possessions especially if we don't upgrade PG position.
In regular season you might as well start Franz's & Mortiz's father, because nothing in regular season really matters all that much, Houston last game started 6'5 Dillion Brooks at PF and Wolves tallest starter was 6'8.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer

Post#1455 » by The-Stallion70 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:52 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Keeping it on the topic of Suggs.

Oh I wouldn't. The mods have professionally derailed this thread. I would just let it unfold at this point.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1456 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:54 pm

KillMonger wrote:when do we find out all defense teams? end of season

Early May.

Spoiler: Suggs will be on it (likely the 2nd team) and Isaac will not be because he is not going to hit the 65-game requirement.

JI probably wouldn't have made it anyway because of his low minutes, even though he's probably the best defender in the NBA on a per minute basis.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1457 » by Knightro » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:01 pm

The only way Suggs potentially won't make the All-Defense team is if the voters decide to go with all big men which they are allowed to do since the voting is now "positionless"

If they do that, then you may see a ton of bigs taking up spots - Adebayo, Gobert, Wembanyama, Davis, Allen, Chet, Giannis and Lopez all have legitimate cases.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,823

Post#1458 » by Audi » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,179

Post#1459 » by MagicMatic » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:59 pm

Audi wrote:
Read on Twitter

bust
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,117

Post#1460 » by KillMonger » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:50 pm

What did apollo creed say? "Everybody is going to owe you an engraved apology" people way to quick with the bust labels.... Creators even made bust videos with Suggs in the video.... Nasty work

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app

Return to Orlando Magic