ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,379

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#41 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:29 am

Thank God! First funcional PG in almost a decade
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,050

Post#42 » by SOUL » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:30 am

“The ones that do pass up on me, [that] take another prospect, it'll come back. It'll be to their detriment,” he said. “You can look at my track record and what I’ve done and where I’ve been, and it’s always win at the highest level, and my play has been at the highest level.”

This quote.. :o

Public_Enemy101
Pro Prospect
And1: 950

Post#43 » by Public_Enemy101 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:51 am

Raps fan here. We’re dumb. We took a player with poor handles and shooting over a potential superstar floor general!?

Congrats guys, your team is gonna be sick.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,941

Post#44 » by thelead » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:55 am

Public_Enemy101 wrote:Raps fan here. We’re dumb. We took a player with poor handles and shooting over a potential superstar floor general!?

Thanks. I still can’t believe you guys passed on Suggs… I wasn’t high on Barnes but hopefully he develops under Nick and the coaching staff. He landed in the best spot possible IMO. If you guys can’t develop him, he’s at fault… and Masai screwed up. It will be interesting to watch unfold.
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 824

Post#45 » by CZ Eddie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:00 am

We got one of the "Elite Four" picks at #5.
That's just fantastic.
Keep your politics out of my sports
Public_Enemy101
Pro Prospect
And1: 950

Post#46 » by Public_Enemy101 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:04 am

thelead wrote:
Public_Enemy101 wrote:Raps fan here. We’re dumb. We took a player with poor handles and shooting over a potential superstar floor general!?

Thanks. I still can’t believe you guys passed on Suggs… I wasn’t high on Barnes but hopefully he develops under Nick and the coaching staff. He landed in the best spot possible IMO. If you guys can’t develop him, he’s at fault… and Masai screwed up. It will be interesting to watch unfold.

Masai loves to roll the dice on picks like Barnes. It worked with Siakam, but blew up with Bruno Caboclo (who?). The thing that baffles me is Suggs is NBA ready from day one. You refine a few aspects of his games like his layups and shooting but really everything else is already there. He’s going to be a great player that you build your team around.
PigsEatHam
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#47 » by PigsEatHam » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:21 am

Beyond stoked that we landed Suggs. I didn't expect him to be available at the fifth pick, but he slid, and now I can't wait to see what he can do on our team. In all likelihood, he's immediately the best PG on our roster (with an asterisk on Fultz and his injury rehab), so I'll be interested in how the coaching staff chooses to use him and how he performs in general without much serious competition for the starting role until Markelle is healed up. (All due respect to Cole, but I think he's better suited as an offensive punch off the bench and RJ feels more shooting guard-ish.)
HKBOY
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,554

Post#48 » by HKBOY » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:23 am

Long time Raptors fan here as well. I have been following this draft since last year and Suggs is my favorite prospect. I definitely think he will be a stud and Masai messed up big time. I am still pissed and could not believe he will pass on Suggs for ****ing Scottie Barnes.

I will support the Magic this year and hope Suggs will be successful with you guys. I think his ceiling will be prime Brandon Roy.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#49 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:26 am

Oh i can finally not hold back what i actually think about Barnes and Kuminga without being too bothered by not hurting feeling of some fans :lol:

Just to touch on people Magic missed on first.

Barnes is simply overhyped due existence of Draymoond Green and Ben Simmons, despite it's clear that one of them is pure product of superteams around him, where he is just role player, and other is way better player Barnes will ever be.
Barnes does not have jumpshot. Barnes does not have offense in general. His playmaking is him passing ball to offball action ( cutter or curling of screens). He is last person to pass ball to player who almost does everything by himself to score, yet due "assists" nowdays being counted as joke, he was getting credits via APGs . That's not playmaking, that's ballpassing.
In actual playmaking situations, where ballhandler gets pick&roll on set defense and has to make something, Barnes was worst than majority of college playmakers. All his true "Playmaking" stats proved he is mediocre at best.
This also has strong roots into fact he can't create any offense for himself and because of it he is easy to guard. There is something to be said about player who can't shoot pass 5 feet , has no floater, struggles to FTs . I basically described bulkier Michael Carter Williams. And i simply don't think Barnes will ever be ulitized all that much in nba as passer nor he will ever be ballhandler. He will play "point forward" and probably be 1/5th player on offense Kevin Love is ( can pass, but no post moves, can't shoot, can't turn both shoulders, does not know how to bait fouls nor can make FTs ).

As for Kuminga. Guy is fool's gold. Teams will be wasting 2,3 ,4 years to teach him how to play basketball, while paying him $20M to do so. And his inflated ego will probably think he is "too good " after year and half. There is lot of Gordon in him.
Right now he is terrible in every aspect of a game, but that probably won't stop him from hoisting 10-14 shots a game regardless.
His realistic comparison is worst shooting Jeff Green. Witch says a lot.

We got Suggs and thank God for it, it probably signals that Fultz will never figure out and is from now on projected nba backup at best. Thankfully Cole Anthony won't be starting any more.
Suggs is athletic , fast , good at reading defense, can get anywhere on the floor and is't terrible shooter. There are aspects of his game that will need improvments, mainly shooting with consistancy, but those things should come way smoother for him than likes of Kuminga and Barnes with broken jumpshots.
I like Wagner, i think he was solid pick too.

In general i'm happy front office pulled heads out of their A holes and stopped drafting gimmicky wingspan and lenght.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#50 » by The Effect » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:50 am

So who plays where in the back court?

I know RJ said he wants to be positionless, but when it comes down to it, we have to figure out who plays where when everyone is healthy

Say all 4 are healthy, who are the PGs and who are the SG and who starts?
Fultz - I know people arent high on him, but i am, and i think hes the best passer of the 4 and floor general, but if he cant figure out how to shoot, will that matter?
Cole - Hes the classic SG in a PG body, but if hes the SG and Suggs and Fultz are the PG, they are big enough to offset coles size, so it could work.
RJ - Most natural SG we have (of these 4), but has enough handles and playmaking ability to play PG in a pinch
Suggs - Could easily be our best PG OR SG, on both ends of the court

So once everyone is healthy, how well would this Starting 5 be

WC | Isaac | Okeke | Suggs | Fultz
with a second unit of
Bamba | Wagner | Ross | RJ | Cole

Is that too much hero ball on the 2nd unit?
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,980

Post#51 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:51 am

Jalen confirmed he DID NOT workout for Orlando. Never met with front office.

And rumor is he had a bad workout in Toronto. :oops:
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#52 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:53 am

Nyce_1 wrote:Jalen confirmed he DID NOT workout for Orlando. Never met with front office.

Just like Bamba and Isaac.
People get too worked up every year on who works with who. There is just limited amount of time how many workouts player can have.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#53 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:55 am

Nyce_1 wrote:Jalen confirmed he DID NOT workout for Orlando. Never met with front office.

Just like Bamba and Isaac.
People get too worked up every year on who works with who. There is just limited amount of time how many workouts player can have.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,765

Post#54 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:04 am

The Effect wrote:WC | Isaac | Okeke | Suggs | Fultz
with a second unit of
Bamba | Wagner | Ross | RJ | Cole

I think you're pretty close. Perhaps switch Okeke to backup PF and Wagner to starting SF, but I think what you have is pretty much what it will be everywhere else.

Of course they could still trade away Ross before the season starts. And even though I don't have much desire to see either one of them play, they do still have Gary Harris and MCW as well and I wouldn't be shocked if Mosley found *some* minutes for those guys given the complete lack of veterans otherwise.

And until they actually trade Fultz away, I think their plan is to see if ultimately he and Suggs can work as a starting backcourt.
thelead
RealGM

Post#55 » by thelead » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:14 am

I really question what this front office actually does on a day to day basis. We hear this nearly every draft.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#56 » by pepe1991 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:34 am

thelead wrote:

I really question what this front office actually does on a day to day basis. We hear this nearly every draft.

zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 995

Post#57 » by zuppafly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:37 am

I like waking up to these news. I was expecting Barnes and Sengun and ready to be depressed.

Fultz / Cole/ Suggs / RJ / GH / MCW

We are absolutely stacked at 1/2 (and Suggs/RJ can play the 3 on some specific matchups). NICE!
thelead
RealGM

Post#58 » by thelead » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:40 am

We went from guard deprived to loaded at 1 and 2 very quickly.

I’m still in shock that we landed Suggs.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 995

Post#59 » by zuppafly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:46 am

pepe1991 wrote:Oh i can finally not hold back what i actually think about Barnes and Kuminga without being too bothered by not hurting feeling of some fans :lol:

Just to touch on people Magic missed on first.

Barnes is simply overhyped due existence of Draymoond Green and Ben Simmons, despite it's clear that one of them is pure product of superteams around him, where he is just role player, and other is way better player Barnes will ever be.
Barnes does not have jumpshot. Barnes does not have offense in general. His playmaking is him passing ball to offball action ( cutter or curling of screens). He is last person to pass ball to player who almost does everything by himself to score, yet due "assists" nowdays being counted as joke, he was getting credits via APGs . That's not playmaking, that's ballpassing.
In actual playmaking situations, where ballhandler gets pick&roll on set defense and has to make something, Barnes was worst than majority of college playmakers. All his true "Playmaking" stats proved he is mediocre at best.
This also has strong roots into fact he can't create any offense for himself and because of it he is easy to guard. There is something to be said about player who can't shoot pass 5 feet , has no floater, struggles to FTs . I basically described bulkier Michael Carter Williams. And i simply don't think Barnes will ever be ulitized all that much in nba as passer nor he will ever be ballhandler. He will play "point forward" and probably be 1/5th player on offense Kevin Love is ( can pass, but no post moves, can't shoot, can't turn both shoulders, does not know how to bait fouls nor can make FTs ).

As for Kuminga. Guy is fool's gold. Teams will be wasting 2,3 ,4 years to teach him how to play basketball, while paying him $20M to do so. And his inflated ego will probably think he is "too good " after year and half. There is lot of Gordon in him.
Right now he is terrible in every aspect of a game, but that probably won't stop him from hoisting 10-14 shots a game regardless.
His realistic comparison is worst shooting Jeff Green. Witch says a lot.

We got Suggs and thank God for it, it probably signals that Fultz will never figure out and is from now on projected nba backup at best. Thankfully Cole Anthony won't be starting any more.
Suggs is athletic , fast , good at reading defense, can get anywhere on the floor and is't terrible shooter. There are aspects of his game that will need improvments, mainly shooting with consistancy, but those things should come way smoother for him than likes of Kuminga and Barnes with broken jumpshots.
I like Wagner, i think he was solid pick too.

In general i'm happy front office pulled heads out of their A holes and stopped drafting gimmicky wingspan and lenght.

Only future will tell if these are just hot takes, and Barnes/Kuminga might become the second coming of Jordan and make these words a laughing stock. BUT, I agree with everything you said and I was worried we'd end up with those two (or Sengun).
I only disagree with eh Fultz bit. I still have hope for him, he has the best PG tools of anyone and he's a real floor leader. I hope he comes back strong and with his jumpshot at a respectable level so we can get him and Suggs as a 1/2 combo, with Cole/RJ from the bench.

Finally, I still see RJ as the one with the highest potential of them all. But from potential to actually becoming the star I see in him is a loooong road.
fateis007
Rookie
And1: 830

Post#60 » by fateis007 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:48 am

Excited to have him.

I wanted Bouknight and championed for him at the 5th pick, then picking whoever fell between Barnes and Kuminga.
But I honestly didn't even consider Suggs dropping out of the top 4, so I am pleasantly suprised.

I am not exactly sure how it's going to work considering we just extended fultz and drafted Cole last year, but I guess when you get a top 4 talent from college that has his ability he has, you just take him and worry about that stuff after.

Will be interesting to see how the minutes go around, but from everything I know about the kid, he is a star in the making with no real weakness in his game. When is the last time we could say that?

Return to Orlando Magic