ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,021

Re: The Official Jalen Suggs Thread 

Post#1561 » by fendilim » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:23 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:So where are we in this thread?

Back on task. Suggs deserves to start. Maybe even start at PG next season. Well see.

Nah.

He’d be a great 6th man.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,021

Post#1562 » by fendilim » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:23 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:So where are we in this thread?

Back on task. Suggs deserves to start. Maybe even start at PG next season. Well see.

Nah.

He’d be a great 6th man.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,282

Post#1563 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:46 pm

Two questions. Can he scale up his minutes and usage and can he stay healthy?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,835

Post#1564 » by RookieStar » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:13 pm

eyriq wrote:Two questions. Can he scale up his minutes and usage and can he stay healthy?

His playstyle though guarantees some minor injuries..
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,478

Post#1565 » by ibraheim718 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:02 pm

eyriq wrote:Two questions. Can he scale up his minutes and usage and can he stay healthy?

Personally, he's got to put on more muscle. After a couple of more years working on his fitness and strength his health should better.. we don't know his diet either. He plays a lot of video games.. I would like to see that kicked to the curb but I know it's somewhat generational. I don't think Mike was sitting around playing video games when he was playing but he did play a lot of golf and gamble but Jalen is kind of a tank. With the amount of physicality he plays with I would actually expect him to miss more time but he hasn't this year which speaks to his body's natural resiliency. The football probably helped him honestly.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#1566 » by Skybox » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

Playing defense the way he does is exhausting. I think Mose would be playing him with Paolo minutes now but he can’t maintain that intensity. No one could. I think it’s a factor with Isaac too (not just injury fear). Guys that play like that cant scale up to 32 mins without pacing themselves…and neither brings enough offensively to warrant that.

Squeezing more out of Suggs isn’t the answer, imo…the answer is having more than one above average guard on the roster. For now, we are who we are.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,640

Post#1567 » by SOUL » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 am

ibraheim718 wrote:

Personally, he's got to put on more muscle. After a couple of more years working on his fitness and strength his health should better.. we don't know his diet either. He plays a lot of video games.. I would like to see that kicked to the curb but I know it's somewhat generational. I don't think Mike was sitting around playing video games when he was playing but he did play a lot of golf and gamble but Jalen is kind of a tank. With the amount of physicality he plays with I would actually expect him to miss more time but he hasn't this year which speaks to his body's natural resiliency. The football probably helped him honestly.

Video games don't really mean anything, everybody plays. It's just a hobby. If it cuts into his time for practicing or getting better, sure, but don't think it's that bad.

Tim Duncan and his teammates were literally playing Starcraft in between Finals games at the hotels and whooping ass. :lol:
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#1568 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

SOUL wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

Video games don't really mean anything, everybody plays. It's just a hobby. If it cuts into his time for practicing or getting better, sure, but don't think it's that bad.

Tim Duncan and his teammates were literally playing Starcraft in between Finals games at the hotels and whooping ass. :lol:

Tim Duncan being a starcraft player tracks....

Video games are fine so long as nobodies livelihood is hurt.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#1569 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

SOUL wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

Hmmm I can think of a number of different things where his time could be spent more wisely. Video games provides no real benefit for basketball. But I'll admit times have changed somewhat and he's still young. Also he is like seriously into it. Like the dude probably spends hours and participates in tournaments. He's virtually a professional. I would prefer he outgrow it.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,668

Post#1570 » by ogmagicfan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 am

He doesnt play as reckless as in his previous seasons, uses his pace/speed better and doesnt land in injury inducing ways as often during drives to the rim

He's played in 65/72 possible games this year, which is the best of his career, although he has played hurt in some of those games which has affected his play.

My hope is he continues to build on that, and more wisely utilize his energy on the court while maintaining similar impact defensively
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#1571 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 pm

He could probably do both if he found out how to give 80% effort 100% of the time.

Similarly to Isaac in that regard. But then we would potentially lose out on some eye popping moments.
SloNick Russia
Analyst
And1: 365

Post#1572 » by SloNick Russia » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:26 am

It would be hard because of fouls alone, Suggs is often in foul trouble guarding best players.
I think his MPG is where it needs to be, we need him fresh at the end of games.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using RealGM mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,930

Post#1573 » by drsd » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:32 am

Skybox wrote:Squeezing more out of Suggs isn’t the answer, imo…the answer is having more than one above average guard on the roster. For now, we are who we are.

And-1

Fultz/G-Harris/Houstan is the target for upgrade!
Creativetran
Senior
And1: 281

Post#1574 » by Creativetran » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:38 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:Hmmm I can think of a number of different things where his time could be spent more wisely. Video games provides no real benefit for basketball. But I'll admit times have changed somewhat and he's still young. Also he is like seriously into it. Like the dude probably spends hours and participates in tournaments. He's virtually a professional. I would prefer he outgrow it.
most boomer post I’ve seen on here
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#1575 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:41 pm

Creativetran wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:Hmmm I can think of a number of different things where his time could be spent more wisely. Video games provides no real benefit for basketball. But I'll admit times have changed somewhat and he's still young. Also he is like seriously into it. Like the dude probably spends hours and participates in tournaments. He's virtually a professional. I would prefer he outgrow it.

Do you think Kobe Bryant played in video game tournaments or Jokic how about him?
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#1576 » by Bakomagic » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:49 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Creativetran wrote:

Do you think Kobe Bryant played in video game tournaments or Jokic how about him?

I am sure those guys have/had hobbies that had nothing to do with basketball.

Plus there is a benefit to being away from the game mentally, so you don’t burnout and whatnot.

Your opinion on this is way to strong considering you don’t actually have any knowledge of any of these players actual routine.

If anything Jalen’s massive improvement year after year speaks to the work he puts in, does it not?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#1577 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:08 pm

Bakomagic wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Creativetran wrote: most boomer post I’ve seen on here

I am sure those guys have/had hobbies that had nothing to do with basketball.

Plus there is a benefit to being away from the game mentally, so you don’t burnout and whatnot.

Your opinion on this is way to strong considering you don’t actually have any knowledge of any of these players actual routine.

If anything Jalen’s massive improvement year after year speaks to the work he puts in, does it not?

How do you know it doesn't take away from the work he puts in? You don't know his routine either. Look I know a lot of men play video games nowadays. It doesn't make it a positive form of activity. I see it as a complete waste of time. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. If you disagree just say so and move on but you're not going to win a debate on whether or not video game playing is good for a person when it's been proven that it isn't.

Do you want me to post the plethora of studies that agree with me? Are you really naive enough to challenge me on this? Playing violent video games has dramatic negative affects on the brain. It's been proven.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#1578 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:25 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
Creativetran wrote:

Jokic is fanatically into horses and horse racing and allegedly does less basketball stuff than you'd expect from a player of his caliber in the offseason.

The vast majority of these guys just don't really live and die basketball 100% of the time. That's just not how it works.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,835

Post#1579 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:29 am

Knightro wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Creativetran wrote: most boomer post I’ve seen on here

Jokic is fanatically into horses and horse racing and allegedly does less basketball stuff than you'd expect from a player of his caliber in the offseason.

The vast majority of these guys just don't really live and die basketball 100% of the time. That's just not how it works.

Yeah.. burnout is a thing after all..

Return to Orlando Magic