ImageImageImageImage

The Franz Wagner Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What is Franz’s ceiling?

HOF potential (1st team All-NBA)
8%
Perennial All-star (4+ appearances)
61%
High-end starter (Prime Turk)
28%
Average starter (Bogdonavic)
3%
Borderline starter (Fournier)
No votes
Sixth man
No votes

Total votes: 71

NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Re: Official Franz Wagner Thread (Sophomore year) 

Post#21 » by NavalAviator94 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:04 am

Nice seeing Cole get some good bounces

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 588

Post#22 » by MasterGMer » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:21 am

I think Cole is going to start for a while. Who do you think will handle the ball walking to the front court in this case? Cole? Or Franz?

I agree, Franz needs to play point. But that doesn't limit his aggressiveness with the ball. He needs to be in attack mode.

I am expecting big things with this scheme
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,032

Post#23 » by KillMonger » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:55 am

There needs to be more balance between Franz the initiator and Franz the scorer.... Don't know how you start so well and not continue to be aggressive

Sent from my [Galaxy Note 23 ultra super duper max] using RealGM mobile app
adamy35
Freshman
And1: 27

Post#24 » by adamy35 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:35 pm

I think he will be somewhere between Perennial All-Star and High-end Starter.

He's a really solid and important piece to this team's future. Right now, we are asking him to play outside of what he should have to be for this team, so things will be up and down for him until we have legit point guards running the offense. He's fine as an every once in a while initiator.

He's a #3 on a championship team. Paolo is a #1. We need to find a number 2 or 1b, and this team will be very good.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,511

Post#25 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:45 pm

Right now, EPM (the player metric I personally think is the most accurate) ranks Franz Wagner:

5th of all NBA Small Forwards.

EPM considers Tatum a SF, if not for that Franzchise would be 4th. Ahead of him are Tatum, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler and Cam Johnson (who could also be considered a PF)

Franz leads a tier below these four, with guys just below him like J. Brown (also classed as a SF), Ingram, DDR and Anunoby.

When you consider he's the youngest of that group BY MILES, not to mention the least experienced in the NBA, there's just no doubt in my mind his ceiling can be way beyond the self-assured role player stereotype he sometimes gets.
This idea Paolo is the set-in-stone No.1 option for the Magic is tenuous to my mind. Nice problem to have!

Franzchise is doing it with such class and professionalism too. Imagine where he'd be ranked if he didn't have to spend a chunk of the early season in unfamiliar roles.

It's a very weird sensation to be a Magic fan and be excited. But this kid has me very optimistic for this cursed franchise.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#26 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:56 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Right now, EPM (the player metric I personally think is the most accurate) ranks Franz Wagner:

EPM considers Tatum a SF, if not for that Franzchise would be 4th. Ahead of him are Tatum, Kawhi, Jimmy Butler and Cam Johnson (who could also be considered a PF)

Franz leads a tier below these four, with guys just below him like J. Brown (also classed as a SF), Ingram, DDR and Anunoby.

When you consider he's the youngest of that group BY MILES, not to mention the least experienced in the NBA, there's just no doubt in my mind his ceiling can be way beyond the self-assured role player stereotype he sometimes gets.
This idea Paolo is the set-in-stone No.1 option for the Magic is tenuous to my mind. Nice problem to have!

Franzchise is doing it with such class and professionalism too. Imagine where he'd be ranked if he didn't have to spend a chunk of the early season in unfamiliar roles.

It's a very weird sensation to be a Magic fan and be excited. But this kid has me very optimistic for this cursed franchise.

Very thoughtful post for someone like me who isn't sure how to rank Franz and isn't answering the poll.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,300

Post#27 » by eyriq » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:15 pm

I voted perennial all-star. In this scenario he'll be one of the best playmaking forwards in the league and the Magic one of the best teams in the league for a long time. I like it!
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,783

Post#28 » by Audi » Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:37 pm

jezzerinho wrote:Right now, EPM (the player metric I personally think is the most accurate) ranks Franz Wagner:

He's fourth in RPM too.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,187

Post#29 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:13 pm

I feel really fortunate that we drafted Franz. This is what happens when you draft skill over measurements.
aka: prorl
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,783

Post#30 » by thelead » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:29 pm

The poll is a little weird. HoF is essentially the same thing as a perennial all-star. And if you're not a perennial all-star but a 1 or 2 time all-star that wins a championship in your prime, you're also likely headed to the HoF.

In any event, he will likely be a perennial all-star. Too good, at his age, with the right tools and mindset not to be.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#31 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:45 pm

thelead wrote:The poll is a little weird. HoF is essentially the same thing as a perennial all-star. And if you're not a perennial all-star but a 1 or 2 time all-star that wins a championship in your prime, you're also likely headed to the HoF.

In any event, he will likely be a perennial all-star. Too good, at his age, with the right tools and mindset not to be.

I just resurrected an old thread that had the poll already to update on Franz' incredible progress. Agree its a bit weird, but it's amazing how more positive I feel about that poll after only a few months.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,365

Post#32 » by tooler » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:09 pm

This video is excellent. I'm shocked how good it is. It's also worth watching for a discussion of his current limitations.

I agree with him at the moment that his ceiling is below superstar, but I also know I need to stop putting a ceiling on him. Not because it's unlimited but because he continues to raise it in surprising ways.

Franz is just so versatile and so good. Give him the ball or don't. We can plug him in anywhere and he's a net positive.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,300

Post#33 » by eyriq » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:53 pm

Yeah, that is a great video. I laughed hard at the consecutive bricked three pointers robbing Franz of some beautiful dimes!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,842

Post#34 » by RookieStar » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:40 pm

Can someone rename this thread properly? We all know " Boogie " is really Doggie's love child/reincarnation in the league about top lead us to the championship like what he did before during the Dwight years..
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#35 » by richi_v25 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:23 pm

OnlyFranz aka Boogie is so underrated but that's ok as a Magic fan it's normal. When we drafted him I never would have thought almost all star i was just hoping for a decent bench player at 8.
jezzerinho
Starter

Post#36 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:36 pm

richi_v25 wrote:OnlyFranz aka Boogie is so underrated but that's ok as a Magic fan it's normal. When we drafted him I never would have thought almost all star i was just hoping for a decent bench player at 8.

He was booed in the Amway when the pick was announced.

Suggs brought the roof down.

Ironic.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,964

Post#37 » by Last Guardian » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:38 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:I feel really fortunate that we drafted Franz. This is what happens when you draft skill over measurements.

We kind of drafted both with him though. He really knows how to take advantage of being 6’10 perimeter guy. Not the passer Hedo was but much better at using his height to score.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#38 » by ogmagicfan » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:51 am

The thing that Franz has worked on the most that has impressed me is that he's more aggressive/isn't passive like last season. Really great to see.

We just need him to get his rebound numbers up badly!

If both him & Paolo are going to be below avg rebounders for their position, we're going to need great rebounding guards & a very strong rebounding center. I'm not sure Wendell is the center to provide that great rebounding presence at center to make up for it.

Only example I can think of a team with weak rebounders at both forward positions is the Grizz (Brooks & Jackson) and Ja is a great rebounding PG and Adams is one of the best rebounders in the NBA
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#39 » by Skybox » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:30 pm

ogmagicfan wrote:The thing that Franz has worked on the most that has impressed me is that he's more aggressive/isn't passive like last season. Really great to see.

We just need him to get his rebound numbers up badly!

If both him & Paolo are going to be below avg rebounders for their position, we're going to need great rebounding guards & a very strong rebounding center. I'm not sure Wendell is the center to provide that great rebounding presence at center to make up for it.

Only example I can think of a team with weak rebounders at both forward positions is the Grizz (Brooks & Jackson) and Ja is a great rebounding PG and Adams is one of the best rebounders in the NBA

THIS /\ is why I am often including WCJ in trade proposals. He's a GREAT player, IMO...but maybe not the best fit. A much lesser (overall) player like Adams, might provide rebounding, enough positional defense, and bone-rattling picks and be more than enough for our frontcourt. Center is of lesser importance if you have forwards like ours and we can find a real scoring threat for our backcourt. We don't need (or want?) a big 4 offensively. A role playing adequate C like Poeltl or Adams would be fine...especially if we could flip WCJ for a guy like Simons to put up 20ppg and shoot 40% from 3.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,365

Post#40 » by tooler » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:23 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, we've done it. We've found something Franz is bad at. (I'm kidding, he has plenty of weaknesses.)

Read on Twitter

He's our primary scorer in the 4th quarter -- and he's awesome at 60% true shooting in the quarter overall -- but that means teams finally start to key on him late in the quarter. The Utah game was a perfect example. I think Paolo will eventually grow into the role but he has a lot to learn first.

Keep in mind these are noisy stats (basically 6% of his shots for the year). Franz is a competitor so I suspect he's taking it all in.

Return to Orlando Magic