ImageImageImageImage

The Franz Wagner Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What is Franz’s ceiling?

HOF potential (1st team All-NBA)
8%
Perennial All-star (4+ appearances)
61%
High-end starter (Prime Turk)
28%
Average starter (Bogdonavic)
3%
Borderline starter (Fournier)
No votes
Sixth man
No votes

Total votes: 71

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,272

Re: The Franz Wagner Thread 

Post#81 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:41 pm

Skybox wrote:This guy can truly be anything he wants...he can be elite at whatever he prioritizes (maybe not D, but he's long and competitive enough to be solid). I think he's an ideal 3rd option who can still score inside and out, average close to 20ppg and progress as more of a spot-up shooter without giving up his elite ability to navigate to the rim. Paolo is the Alpha Dog, but he's an Alpha Dog in the genre of Jokic (not Iverson or Durant). I think the ideal offensive configuration is another high scoring aggressive guard, which will kind of relegate Franz to more of a Turk role (but much better)...knowing he can get to he hoop anytime he wants, knock down open 3's if that's tonight's assignment, bring up the ball and/or move it around the perimeter...he's an offensive chameleon. This is not, in my mind, a negative thing...I also think he will score 40+ on many nights in his career.
He's one of the best defenders in the league
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#82 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:11 pm

It is quite possible that Paolo gravity opens up Franz life more and we end up with 2 25 ppg scorers. I could see that happening with Suggs / Black developing jump shots.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#83 » by Skybox » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:17 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:This guy can truly be anything he wants...he can be elite at whatever he prioritizes (maybe not D, but he's long and competitive enough to be solid). I think he's an ideal 3rd option who can still score inside and out, average close to 20ppg and progress as more of a spot-up shooter without giving up his elite ability to navigate to the rim. Paolo is the Alpha Dog, but he's an Alpha Dog in the genre of Jokic (not Iverson or Durant). I think the ideal offensive configuration is another high scoring aggressive guard, which will kind of relegate Franz to more of a Turk role (but much better)...knowing he can get to he hoop anytime he wants, knock down open 3's if that's tonight's assignment, bring up the ball and/or move it around the perimeter...he's an offensive chameleon. This is not, in my mind, a negative thing...I also think he will score 40+ on many nights in his career.

I don't see that...anybody have a strong feeling about Franz' defensive status league-wide?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#84 » by Knightro » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:39 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I don't see that...anybody have a strong feeling about Franz' defensive status league-wide?

EPM really likes him on that end of the floor, 91st percentile.

DBPM has him as a net positive defender as well.

I would say he's an above average defender teetering on good. I don't think he's one of the best in the league. I'd rank him behind Isaac and Suggs on the Magic alone.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#85 » by Skin » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:41 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:

He's conscious about it and he genuinely seems to try. His size and length is his biggest advantage. Big body that won't get run through, and he's very opportunistic as far as using his arms to disrupt. "one of the best defenders in the league" seems like a homer comment and pretty far fetched... His feet and explosiveness limit him.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,272

Post#86 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:48 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:He's one of the best defenders in the league

EPM really likes him on that end of the floor, 91st percentile.

DBPM has him as a net positive defender as well.

I would say he's an above average defender teetering on good. I don't think he's one of the best in the league. I'd rank him behind Isaac and Suggs on the Magic alone.
ESPN's real plus minus absolutely loved him defensively last season
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#87 » by Skybox » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:15 pm

Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:He's one of the best defenders in the league

He's conscious about it and he genuinely seems to try. His size and length is his biggest advantage. Big body that won't get run through, and he's very opportunistic as far as using his arms to disrupt. "one of the best defenders in the league" seems like a homer comment and pretty far fetched... His feet and explosiveness limit him.

That's what my eyes tell me too...nice to know it might be even better. He definitely works and the length alone can be stifling...especially when you've got Isaac and/or Suggs nearby...that's gotta be like getting molested by a giant octopus

Return to Orlando Magic