ImageImageImageImage

The Anthony Black Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

The Anthony Black Thread 

Post#1 » by Skin » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:06 pm

Creating this because it would be quite sad for our forum to NOT have a thread on a highly probably candidate for us to pick before the draft. Plus, he is a very polarizing prospect.

He warrants his own discussion.

I've been on record saying that I would be very disappointed if we drafted him. I've criticized him for being a wolf in sheep's clothing.
That if it wasn't for his size that he he wouldn't be talked about as a good PG prospect. He offers nothing great from what I want out of a PG. So if he is going to replace Fultz or Cole and be expected to be our savior at PG, then I think that is a recipe for failure. Some people have thrown out Giddey and Haliburton comparisons... please stop. No.

However, it dawned on me that if he is being brought in to be our starting SG, then I could get on board with that. It's always nice to have a 2 guard with passing chops. At 6'6 with a 6'7.5 wingspan, he'd doesn't fit the typical WeHam long boi profile, but I'd be much more comfortable with him guarding 2s than quick footed 1s. That's not saying much there. I think he will struggle in the NBA on defense. Jordan Hawkins torched him. So we shall see. But bringing him in at SG is a safe bet that Fultz and Cole are still a part of the Magic's plans. Who will need to worry?

Jalen Suggs. Yeah, it's been clear to most of us that SG is an area where we need to find a better solution. Suggs has struggled for consistency. Gary Harris has 1 foot out the door. Ausar Thompson is scary, and he may be off the board anyways. Cam Whitmore/Jordan Hawkins (my personal hopes), have been falling in the draft. The only thing that gets me on Black as a SG is his poor shooting numbers in college. Who wants a SG who can't shoot? Not me.

Then I stumbled across this video from his workouts and it influenced my mind into thinking that he could be someone who quickly develops his 3pt shot. Which is what we need to get from this draft.

What are your thoughts?
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Re: The Anthony Black Thread 

Post#2 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:27 pm

Black is 100% a PG.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#3 » by Bensational » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:29 pm

I think his appeal is his positional versatility. He can play 1-3 realistically, and offer passing/playmaking and defense from whatever position he’s in. I think his shot will come through eventually too. He’ll do well as a bully-ball PG at times too. I think he’s a player you’ll want because he makes winning plays.

I don’t think we’ll be in a rush to move players to accomodate him at first if we take him. He could be backup SG who shares playmaking with Cole for his rookie season and WeHam let the players battle it out for minutes.
Skin
RealGM

Post#4 » by Skin » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:32 pm

basketballRob wrote:Black is 100% a PG.

Yeah well you said he's Haliburton, so I can't take your opinion too seriously in this case.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#5 » by Skin » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:35 pm

Bensational wrote:I think his appeal is his positional versatility. He can play 1-3 realistically, and offer passing/playmaking and defense from whatever position he’s in. I think his shot will come through eventually too. He’ll do well as a bully-ball PG at times too. I think he’s a player you’ll want because he makes winning plays.

I don’t think we’ll be in a rush to move players to accomodate him at first if we take him. He could be backup SG who shares playmaking with Cole for his rookie season and WeHam let the players battle it out for minutes.

Let me ask you this... if he does beat out someone for their starting spot, where would it be?

Or is he just a versatile depth guy? Which is fair too.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#6 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:38 pm

Skin wrote:

Yeah well you said he's Haliburton, so I can't take your opinion too seriously in this case.
I said he passes like Haliburton. He's tall and reads the floor well, and makes quick decisions with the ball.

Skin
RealGM

Post#7 » by Skin » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:42 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skin wrote:

I said he passes like Haliburton. He's tall and reads the floor well, and makes quick decisions with the ball.

I think you're confusing yourself because a more accurate post would be saying "he once made a pass like Haliburton". :lol:

His assist numbers and TO numbers are nothing like the volume and consistency that Haliburton showed. Don't be blinded by highlights.
Landshark
Senior
And1: 360

Post#8 » by Landshark » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:42 pm

I'd be happy with Black. In addition to his BBIQ, he was a good driver and finisher on a team with bad spacing. I think he's kind of like Paolo/Franz, whose driving games were underrated in college but fully unleashed by NBA spacing.

His shot is concerning, but that's the case for a ton of other players in the #6 range. People act like he's Elfrid bad, but Elfrid shot 28% 3P/61% FT in 3 years of college while Black shot 30% 3P/70% FT in one year. For players who aren't Elfrid/MKG bad, it is possible that shooting will improve to some extent.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#9 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:48 pm

Skin wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Skin wrote:Yeah well you said he's Haliburton, so I can't take your opinion too seriously in this case.

I think you're confusing yourself because a more accurate post would be saying "he once made a pass like Haliburton".

His assist numbers and TO numbers are nothing like the volume and consistency that Haliburton showed. Don't be blinded by highlights.
He played on a really bad shooting team last season. I don't know the whole dynamic of the Iowa State team Haliburton's freshman season. I know that Black makes quick decisions with the ball the same way he does. We don't have someone on the team like that.

MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#10 » by MAGICian619 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:52 pm

The baby of Paolo and Franz with a legendary FTAr.

Yes please.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 665

Post#11 » by RichCollab » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:53 pm

Black Dick are the picks!
Skin
RealGM

Post#12 » by Skin » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:53 pm

I think Ainge wants Whitmore. It would better for us to trade 6 for 9 and 16 and get Black at 9.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,841

Post#13 » by RookieStar » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:55 pm

Except for that dumb quote which im sure is gonna cause some tension in the locker room, I wouldn't have any reservations with him if he is our pick.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#14 » by Bensational » Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:57 pm

Skin wrote:
Bensational wrote:I think his appeal is his positional versatility. He can play 1-3 realistically, and offer passing/playmaking and defense from whatever position he’s in. I think his shot will come through eventually too. He’ll do well as a bully-ball PG at times too. I think he’s a player you’ll want because he makes winning plays.

Let me ask you this... if he does beat out someone for their starting spot, where would it be?

Or is he just a versatile depth guy? Which is fair too.

I’m not sure who he replaces. I don’t think WeHam know because I don’t think they’ve made final evaluations on our guards yet. He has the potential to become a starting PG or SG depending on how his game develops, but I think WeHam also believe Fultz, Suggs and Cole still have untapped potential too, so he won’t be handed the reigns.

Black is a great contingency piece who could prove to be the best of all. Worst case he’ll be a great glue guy off the bench.
three3d
Junior
And1: 55

Post#15 » by three3d » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:02 pm

Skin wrote:Creating this because it would be quite sad for our forum to NOT have a thread on a highly probably candidate for us to pick before the draft. Plus, he is a very polarizing prospect.

I've been on record saying that I would be very disappointed if we drafted him. I've criticized him for being a wolf in sheep's clothing.
That if it wasn't for his size that he he wouldn't be talked about as a good PG prospect. He offers nothing great from what I want out of a PG. So if he is going to replace Fultz or Cole and be expected to be our savior at PG, then I think that is a recipe for failure. Some people have thrown out Giddey and Haliburton comparisons... please stop. No.

However, it dawned on me that if he is being brought in to be our starting SG, then I could get on board with that. It's always nice to have a 2 guard with passing chops. At 6'6 with a 6'7.5 wingspan, he'd doesn't fit the typical WeHam long boi profile, but I'd be much more comfortable with him guarding 2s than quick footed 1s. That's not saying much there. I think he will struggle in the NBA on defense. Jordan Hawkins torched him. So we shall see. But bringing him in at SG is a safe bet that Fultz and Cole are still a part of the Magic's plans. Who will need to worry?

Jalen Suggs. Yeah, it's been clear to most of us that SG is an area where we need to find a better solution. Suggs has struggled for consistency. Gary Harris has 1 foot out the door. Ausar Thompson is scary, and he may be off the board anyways. Cam Whitmore/Jordan Hawkins (my personal hopes), have been falling in the draft. The only thing that gets me on Black as a SG is his poor shooting numbers in college. Who wants a SG who can't shoot? Not me.

Then I stumbled across this video from his workouts and it influenced my mind into thinking that he could be someone who quickly develops his 3pt shot. Which is what we need to get from this draft.

What are your thoughts?

Watch closely as he’s shooting his 3’s and you’ll see absolutely no elevation on his jump shot. He barley leaves the ground and you couple that with his slow release it’s a disaster IMO.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballRob » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:04 pm

three3d wrote:
Skin wrote:Creating this because it would be quite sad for our forum to NOT have a thread on a highly probably candidate for us to pick before the draft. Plus, he is a very polarizing prospect.

What are your thoughts?

Watch closely as he’s shooting his 3’s and you’ll see absolutely no elevation on his jump shot. He barley leaves the ground and you couple that with his slow release it’s a disaster IMO.
https://youtu.be/9kJ4AKtfZBs

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#17 » by tiderulz » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:17 pm

RookieStar wrote:Except for that dumb quote which im sure is gonna cause some tension in the locker room, I wouldn't have any reservations with him if he is our pick.

he either needs to get a haircut or commit to some style that keeps it out of his eyes. this isnt being old either. he will be paid millions of dollars to play basketball, he needs to take it seriously
Orlando Dawg
Analyst
And1: 53

Post#18 » by Orlando Dawg » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:18 pm

In general, except for Steve Nash the more hair a PG has the worse they are. When the primary ball handler has hair flopping around it throws the shooters off rhythm.
Skin
RealGM

Post#19 » by Skin » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:21 pm

three3d wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Yeah great point. This guy would never get a shot off against pressure. Hawkins is so much more the better shooter.
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,736

Post#20 » by Message Boar » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:22 pm

RichCollab wrote:Black Dick are the picks!

I'm not an Anthony Black fan, but if we draft him and Gradey that would almost make it worth it :lol:

edit: If we draft him and he does keep his haircut as is, is our no headband rule still a thing? I'd hope he'd at least control that mane and keep it out of his face with a headband or smt.

Return to Orlando Magic