ImageImageImageImage

The Anthony Black Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,295

Re: The Anthony Black Thread 

Post#1381 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 8, 2024 7:53 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:What's the expected usage for the

#3 option?
#4 option?
#5 option?

C?
PF?
SF?
SG?
PG?

Obviously it is going to vary greatly team-to-team based on personnel. And I definitely don't think it can be broken down by position whatsoever. A team with Joel Embiid at C is going to have a much bigger percentage of usage from their center than a team with Dereck Lively at C, ya know?

Boston is the No. 1 offense in the league and their breakdown looks like this...

#1 option: 30%
#2 option: 28%
#3 option 25%
#4 option 19%
#5 option 16%

Indiana is No. 2 and their breakdown is...

#1 option 25%
#2 option 25%
#3 option 23%
#4 option 23%
#5 option 16%

I don't think there's really any steadfast rules to any of this though. It just depends on the personnel you have.

Interesting. This implies we need more from our 3rd option. Given your analysis about slow starts usage wise it seems it's reasonable to see AB as a 4th or 5th option. This means Suggs needs to get his usage up, or Jett is that guy, or we trade for that guy.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#1382 » by Bensational » Fri Mar 8, 2024 8:38 pm

Knightro wrote:Andre Iguodala: 12.8% rookie, 16.9% career
Mikal Bridges: 12.2% rookie, 17.3% career (he's a 25% USG guy now, but also not doing particularly well in that role)
Justise Winslow: 12.5% rookie, 17.1% career
Boris Diaw: 11.4% rookie, 16.3% career
Dorian Finney-Smith: 11.6% rookie, 13.1% career
Jaden McDaniels: 12.8% rookie, 14.8% career
OG Anunoby: 12.4% rookie, 17.1% career
Bruce Brown: 11.5% rookie, 15.6% career
Matisse Thybulle: 11.2% rookie, 10.2% career

…<snip>…

I don't want this to come off like I'm knocking Black. I'm not. Several of the names on the list above were or still are extremely valuable NBA players on teams that won championships or are planning to make deep playoff runs.

I just don't think Black's ever going to be a high usage player. And that's ok! He can still make an unbelievable amount of money as a floor raising player. But since he doesn't project - at least to me - to be more than a floor raising, connector role player type, I would still be looking for a capable point guard in both the short and potentially long term while keeping Black.

That’s a list of some quality names who have helped shaped teams and even win championships and a finals MVP. What more are you hoping for?

I mean, a month ago you were saying you thought Suggs would be best used as an energizer off the bench but as the season progresses he’s looking like a solid #3 option to Paolo and Franz. You don’t seem to have the stomach for developing players and need more instant gratification from guys like FVV, Tyus Jones, Anfernee Simons, etc. I think in 2-3 seasons the team’s development path will probably start to align with what you’re seeking but it could be a painful wait for you until then.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#1383 » by zaymon » Fri Mar 8, 2024 9:36 pm

Those discussions getting more and more sophisticated. Numbers not enough, you need to reach to the other posters soul.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#1384 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:15 pm

zaymon wrote:Those discussions getting more and more sophisticated. Numbers not enough, you need to reach to the other posters soul.

I beseech thee, to think of ye ol children. To find that part in your heart that reg-ails the innocence of childhood. To embrace the vulnerability of your inner child and say.

Play Black already!
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Post#1385 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:43 pm

I think Anthony Black is exactly the type of player we need at PG. He plays defense and is a reliable shooter. I wanted us to trade Fultz to be traded at the deadline because it is time to move on from him. But I guess he will leave in the off-season.

Anthony Black is better Fultz simply because he is willing to shoot and he doesn't have to dominate the ball to be effective. Fultz is afraid to take anything other than a layup. Also he has to have the ball in his hand to be effective. That is opposite of what the magic want. It is time for him to and Garry Harris to go.

Then our backcourt will be

Black/Anthony/ FA
Suggs/Huston/Howard
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 400

Post#1386 » by The-Stallion70 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:08 am

What the hell happened?

0 points 0 assists 0-5 in 23 minutes?
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,022

Post#1387 » by fendilim » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:39 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:What the hell happened?

0 points 0 assists 0-5 in 23 minutes?

Got bothered by brunson’s physicality early in the game. Lost composure after that.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,304

Post#1388 » by pepe1991 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:53 am

Black is now "realiable shooter" ? Oh God...I can't.

People just look at percentages like it's holy Grail of data.

Black shoots 64% FTs, has no mid range game ( takes no shots, shoots 28% when he does) and only made 34 threes whole year long.

One Josh Hart who gets " can't shoot " treatment every game, made 30 threes in past 40 days alone.

And in role he has been playing he isn't playmaker. He plays some even lower usage -Isaac Okoro role.

:dontknow:

It's just problem when you have 6th overall pick that is project and you want to win game and play for something more than pacing yourself to be first round easy practice for somebody.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,006

Post#1389 » by p0peye » Sat Mar 9, 2024 10:03 am

I wish if we could start being more objective and discuss on how kids like Black are actually doing than using future projections as that is simply antagonizing the kid.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#1390 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 9, 2024 11:59 am

p0peye wrote:I wish if we could start being more objective and discuss on how kids like Black are actually doing than using future projections as that is simply antagonizing the kid.

Yes…he’s Lonzo Ball’s size. That doesn’t mean he projects as Lonzo Ball. :roll:

He’s interesting, but not very good right now. I’d like to keep him in the rotation but I don’t think he’s a starter, this year or next.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#1391 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:33 pm

Black will be fine.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,639

Post#1392 » by Skybox » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:00 pm

basketballRob wrote:Black will be fine.

Oh okay...phew...his complete and utter lack of offense had me concerned. Thanks. :nonono:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#1393 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:24 pm

Skybox wrote:

Oh okay...phew...his complete and utter lack of offense had me concerned. Thanks. :nonono:
He's barely 20. If he can't score when he's 22, I'd be concerned. Black has already surpassed what AG did as a rookie, and Black is our youngest rookie since him. I definitely think he could've matched Franz total last night if he was asked to shoot and was a focul part of the offense.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 400

Post#1394 » by The-Stallion70 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:47 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:

He's barely 20. If he can't score when he's 22, I'd be concerned. Black has already surpassed what AG did as a rookie, and Black is our youngest rookie since him. I definitely think he could've matched Franz total last night if he was asked to shoot and was a focul part of the offense.

Got anything more than the age argument bud? This is like all you got, post after post about Black.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 114

Post#1395 » by byeganyo » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:57 pm

When he tries to drive and shoot in traffic the things look very awkward and the ball rarely goes in, but as a spot up shooter he looks better than in the summer league, so i guess he is learning things.
His passing on the other hand is worse than advertised, both as quality and quantity. Less than 1 assist per game in the past 20 games, its not what he was projected to offer.
I agree it will take years before we know what he is capable of, so anyone can be as optimistic as they want to be.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#1396 » by tiderulz » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:59 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:

numbers wise, no he hasnt.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,475

Post#1397 » by Bensational » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:24 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Black is now "realiable shooter" ? Oh God...I can't.

Black shoots 64% FTs, has no mid range game ( takes no shots, shoots 28% when he does) and only made 34 threes whole year long.

One Josh Hart who gets " can't shoot " treatment every game, made 30 threes in past 40 days alone.

And in role he has been playing he isn't playmaker. He plays some even lower usage -Isaac Okoro role.

It's just problem when you have 6th overall pick that is project and you want to win game and play for something more than pacing yourself to be first round easy practice for somebody.

Well of course statistical data doesn’t compare to the holy grail of your opinion. Please tell us again how rookie Suggs is a terrible shooter and will never be a good shooter.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1398 » by pepe1991 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:53 pm

Bensational wrote:

Well of course statistical data doesn’t compare to the holy grail of your opinion. Please tell us again how rookie Suggs is a terrible shooter and will never be a good shooter.

Black made 34 threes this year. Pretty much all wide open.

Suggs improved as spot up shooter beyond my expetations. Gordon isn't Kawhi. Nobody gets a cookie for being right or wrong. It's opinion based forum of sport. Nothing we say matters nor holds any value.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 622

Post#1399 » by AaronB » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:10 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Suggs improved as spot up shooter beyond my expetations. Gordon isn't Kawhi. Nobody gets a cookie for being right or wrong. It's opinion based forum of sport. Nothing we say matters nor holds any value.

Then why did you spend 20,000+ words driving home your prediction that it would be impossible for Siggs to be even an average NBA shooter? LOL
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1400 » by pepe1991 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:13 pm

AaronB wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Bensational wrote:

Then why did you spend 20,000+ words driving home your prediction that it would be impossible for Siggs to be even an average NBA shooter? LOL

I'll keep it short so i don't waste your time. Wanna hear best joke of a year: Markelle Fultz- star
LOL

Return to Orlando Magic