ImageImageImageImage

The Anthony Black Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SloNick Russia
Analyst
And1: 369

Re: The Anthony Black Thread 

Post#1401 » by SloNick Russia » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:20 pm

Well, Paolo is likely a 25 ppg scorer, Franz is 20+ ppg scorer, with the touches they get its not likey anybody else will even get to 15 ppg, so scoring for Black is actually not a top priority. Passing is not that crusial as well because Paolo and Franz handle the ball so much, an average passing on Suggs level will do just fine. He absolutely has to shoot at decent level, which he can do, his corner threes are actually fine already. However a potential to add a 6-7 over 200 pounds defender to Suggs is very cool. We would have by far the best guards defensive duo in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using RealGM mobile app
Fortune Teller
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#1402 » by Fortune Teller » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:37 pm

Defending AB by arguing he’s not being asked to deliver shooting or playmaking is not a strong endorsement. This team needs those things in a bad way. If he’s not being asked to help with that, then what is he?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#1403 » by basketballRob » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:40 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
AaronB wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Black made 34 threes this year. Pretty much all wide open.

Suggs improved as spot up shooter beyond my expetations. Gordon isn't Kawhi. Nobody gets a cookie for being right or wrong. It's opinion based forum of sport. Nothing we say matters nor holds any value.

Then why did you spend 20,000+ words driving home your prediction that it would be impossible for Siggs to be even an average NBA shooter? LOL

I'll keep it short so i don't waste your time. Wanna hear best joke of a year: Markelle Fultz- star
LOL
Vuc, 3 playoff wins in 13 seasons. Fournier is 3rd string on the worst team in the league.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,304

Post#1404 » by pepe1991 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:42 pm

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
AaronB wrote:
Then why did you spend 20,000+ words driving home your prediction that it would be impossible for Siggs to be even an average NBA shooter? LOL

I'll keep it short so i don't waste your time. Wanna hear best joke of a year: Markelle Fultz- star
LOL
Vuc, 3 playoff wins in 13 seasons. Fournier is 3rd string on the worst team in the league.

Mo Bamba.

This is my point. Instad of busting each other's balls we all say dumb shi* but at the end of a day, non of it really matters.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,300

Post#1405 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:02 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=Z0wxVablkXHExCwufJr8HQ&s=19
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,388

Post#1406 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:08 pm

Given the circumstances, if you're massively disappointed with what you've seen from AB this year, I just think it speaks more to unrealistic expectations than it does to the player.

I haven't glanced at AB's Bball ref this season. Frankly, I just don't care. He's not playing enough minutes, he doesn't have a consistent role in the rotation, and it's almost useless to make any real judgments based on stats in a guard's rookie year, anyway.

All I've done with him this season is watch with my eyes, and personally, I just think the intangible/instinctual qualities he's shown are hard to ignore. He's got an exceptionally high motor and does things instinctually on defense that have even surpassed the expectations I had for him coming in.

Here is the reality with him right now. He has nothing close to an NBA-ready body, and because of that, I just don't think he has even scratched the surface of what he can be offensively yet due to his lack of strength and how it affects his finishing around the rim. If he didnt atleast develop into a starting rotational player by the end of his rookie contract i'd be shocked.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#1407 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:27 pm

Seems like our guy got some extra burn the past two games. Not that I like the reason. Shesh.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1408 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:38 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Seems like our guy got some extra burn the past two games. Not that I like the reason. Shesh.
I feel like the gif of the guy poking something with a stick saying "do something" would be appropriate.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1409 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:43 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:Seems like our guy got some extra burn the past two games. Not that I like the reason. Shesh.
I feel like the gif of the guy poking something with a stick saying "do something" would be appropriate.

It kinda resembles the remarks I have made. We literally ask him to do whatever the other guy did who just went down. But better or about the same.

I do not think we have seen Black as a player personally this season and his personality of "being a team player" above all else is showing.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1410 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:53 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:

It kinda resembles the remarks I have made. We literally ask him to do whatever the other guy did who just went down. But better or about the same.

I do not think we have seen Black as a player personally this season and his personality of "being a team player" above all else is showing.
Yeah, this resonates. He's been asked to be a role player as a rookie. Very Christian Braun-esque.
Fortune Teller
Sophomore

Post#1411 » by Fortune Teller » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:13 pm

In Black's last 5 games, he's played 87 minutes and has a total of 3 assists.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1412 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:18 pm

Fortune Teller wrote:In Black's last 5 games, he's played 87 minutes and has a total of 3 assists.
I'd guess playmaking isn't high on his to-do list
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1413 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:54 pm

eyriq wrote:
Fortune Teller wrote:In Black's last 5 games, he's played 87 minutes and has a total of 3 assists.

To be fair. The truth of him sucking might be staring us in the face.

But then why play him at all? Why not let Jett get burn, or Houstan even Fultz.

Unless they all suck or unlike Paolo / Franz they aren't allowed to play through mistakes.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1414 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:13 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Unless they all suck or unlike Paolo / Franz they aren't allowed to play through mistakes.
That is not fair and I'm deleting this from my memory banks
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,734

Post#1415 » by basketballRob » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I think we should be playing him more. Early in the season, he bumped Cole from closing out games, and it was working. They should've played him over Cole in the 4th quarter against the Pacers.

JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1416 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:58 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:I'd guess playmaking isn't high on his to-do list

I am open to changing my opinions even if I am deeply on the AB bandwagon. Getting me off though is going to be pretty hard. He is a proven monster on defense and will be as good as Suggs in that regard in short order.

Combine his height and IQ with the ability to drive like he occasionally has shine and I think we will have a winner. I put Black somewhere between Franz + Suggs respectively. He just blatantly has no role on the top other then "play and don't make mistakes or else ill find someone else unless you are Fultz" - Love Moseby.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1417 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:59 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:I'd guess playmaking isn't high on his to-do list

I think we should be playing him more. Early in the season, he bumped Cole from closing out games, and it was working. They should've played him over Cole in the 4th quarter against the Pacers.

They aren't playing him more because it would cost us games and winning is now apparently the top priority. Fine I guess. Not sure why we are standing pat when we had as many key pieces to turn something from 0.

Unless letting it go to zero was the plan all along and we planned to roster retool.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1418 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:08 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

I am open to changing my opinions even if I am deeply on the AB bandwagon. Getting me off though is going to be pretty hard. He is a proven monster on defense and will be as good as Suggs in that regard in short order.

Combine his height and IQ with the ability to drive like he occasionally has shine and I think we will have a winner. I put Black somewhere between Franz + Suggs respectively. He just blatantly has no role on the top other then "play and don't make mistakes or else ill find someone else unless you are Fultz" - Love Moseby.
Haha, I respect the open mind.
Fortune Teller
Sophomore

Post#1419 » by Fortune Teller » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:16 pm

I don't think AB's as good as his supporters think or hope. If he were, there is literally nothing preventing him from being the starting PG on this team. Fultz wouldn't even start on a G-League team, and Suggs was already moved to SG because of his challenges running the point. So if Black was even mediocre, just competent, the starting job would be his.

Supporters of this front office will argue, "well who says we drafted him to be a PG", which is the same argument we heard when it turned out Suggs wasn't much of a PG. But the answer in both cases is "everyone". Everyone said he was a PG, every draft board and prognosticator called him a PG, every TV talking head called him a PG. But we engage in revisionist history when it starts looking like the pick is a disappointment.

I really don't think we were setting expectations too high if we expected him to have more assists per game than Goga and Trevelin Queen, if he were playing the same or more minutes per game than them (which he is). And that's with 33 starts so he hasn't been surrounded by scrubs.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1420 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm

Fortune Teller wrote:I don't think AB's as good as his supporters think or hope. If he were, there is literally nothing preventing him from being the starting PG on this team. Fultz wouldn't even start on a G-League team, and Suggs was already moved to SG because of his challenges running the point. So if Black was even mediocre, just competent, the starting job would be his.

Supporters of this front office will argue, "well who says we drafted him to be a PG", which is the same argument we heard when it turned out Suggs wasn't much of a PG. But the answer in both cases is "everyone". Everyone said he was a PG, every draft board and prognosticator called him a PG, every TV talking head called him a PG. But we engage in revisionist history when it starts looking like the pick is a disappointment.

I really don't think we were setting expectations too high if we expected him to have more assists per game than Goga and Trevelin Queen, if he were playing the same or more minutes per game than them (which he is). And that's with 33 starts so he hasn't been surrounded by scrubs.

He's already a starting quality defender. His shooting is also already ahead of schedule. He's good enough to come in and be a lock down defender on the team's best guard, already. The fact that he's able to contribute to winning as a rookie is big, IMO. It's clear that he has a narrow role on the team that doesn't include typical PG playmaking duties. If you don't like him it's likely you've never liked him, because his performance has matched his role.

Return to Orlando Magic