ImageImageImageImage

"Jonathan is having a great summer."

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 689

Re: "Jonathan is having a great summer." 

Post#141 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:35 pm

SHAQ32 wrote:Welp

Looks like he is scheduled to play Wednesday. I'm not emotionally committed.
Fortune Teller
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#142 » by Fortune Teller » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:47 pm

He's listed as questionable now, after doing less in practice today.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,145

Post#143 » by magik9113 » Tue Dec 5, 2023 6:03 pm

Honestly, these minor injuries are no big deal to me. If he's healthy come playoff time (ASSUMING WE MAKE IT), then we're golden
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 669

Post#144 » by RichCollab » Tue Dec 5, 2023 11:08 pm

I’m ok with minor injuries if he can get to 50 games played this year.

I wouldn’t want to have to depend on him in the playoffs yet.
Dubious Kitty
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#145 » by Dubious Kitty » Wed Dec 6, 2023 3:39 am

Too bad based on his latest IG post he's become a genocidal maniac

pitiful
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,751

Post#146 » by basketballRob » Wed Dec 6, 2023 3:40 am

If Isaac can give us 20+ minutes in the playoffs, we'll be hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Re: 

Post#147 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Dec 6, 2023 3:38 pm

basketballRob wrote:If Isaac can give us 20+ minutes in the playoffs, we'll be hard to beat.

He is such an enigma due to injuries. He will always be a huge "what if" in my head. Similar to what it was like having Grant Hill injured in his prime.

In Jonathan's case. We are limited to flashes of defensive brilliance with an offensive game that will never develop. He is a "never was" but we all saw enough to see what it "could have looked like" even a few small glimpses.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,751

Re: Re: 

Post#148 » by basketballRob » Wed Dec 6, 2023 4:00 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
basketballRob wrote:If Isaac can give us 20+ minutes in the playoffs, we'll be hard to beat.

He is such an enigma due to injuries. He will always be a huge "what if" in my head. Similar to what it was like having Grant Hill injured in his prime.

In Jonathan's case. We are limited to flashes of defensive brilliance with an offensive game that will never develop. He is a "never was" but we all saw enough to see what it "could have looked like" even a few small glimpses.
The minutes he plays, he's probably a top 5 defender in the league. That's not a flash.

JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#149 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Dec 6, 2023 4:13 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

The minutes he plays, he's probably a top 5 defender in the league. That's not a flash.

As of right now, he is averaging 13mpg. While not zero thank goodness. I am not sure if that counts to be counted by official stats. Hence "the flash" or "glimpse".

I am not trying to convince you of my opinion rather then you understanding my opinion. We both agree a 20mpg Isaac is likely top 5 defensive candidate material.
Fortune Teller
Sophomore

Post#150 » by Fortune Teller » Wed Dec 6, 2023 6:39 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

But "the minutes he plays" matters. None of us has any way of knowing whether he could sustain his level of play for 20+ minutes per game, playing more than half a season, because he hasn't been capable of doing that since the 2018-19 season.

It's apples and oranges to compare him to guys who are playing every night. JI doesn't have to adjust his game to the nightly rigors of the long NBA season because he doesn't actually play a full season. The last 4 years he's hardly played at all. This is the healthiest he's been and he's only averaging 13.4 mpg, and has already missed 25% of the games played due to injury.
Fortune Teller
Sophomore

Post#151 » by Fortune Teller » Wed Dec 6, 2023 10:35 pm

And he's officially "out" again tonight at Cleveland.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#152 » by swarlesbarkley » Thu Dec 7, 2023 1:06 am

basketballRob wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

I think a lot more guys would be top 5 defenders in the league if they only played 12 minutes a game and had zero expectations to play back to backs.

I'm not saying JI isn't good - he's a GREAT defender. But there's a difference in guys who play the whole game and impact the defensive side for 30 minutes (guys like Evan Mobley) and what JI is doing.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#153 » by MagicMatic » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:10 am

Should start a poll. How many games will Isaac play more than 13 minutes this season?

Right now the answer is 8/21
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,025

Post#154 » by fendilim » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:20 am

Well, availability is a skill. And if we can’t rely on him learning that skill, he really shouldn’t be given a bigger role.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,313

Post#155 » by pepe1991 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:54 am

swarlesbarkley wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

I think a lot more guys would be top 5 defenders in the league if they only played 12 minutes a game and had zero expectations to play back to backs.

I'm not saying JI isn't good - he's a GREAT defender. But there's a difference in guys who play the whole game and impact the defensive side for 30 minutes (guys like Evan Mobley) and what JI is doing.

Also not being tasked to do anything on offense while playing those 13 min a game also helps him focus on defense and nothing else.

He averages 6 ppg on 23% for 3 and has 5 assists total.

He kind a reminds me on some poor man's Andrew Bynum from 2007- 2009 Lakers, where Lakers would be playing without him most of a year and every once in a while he would show up, remind you how talented he is, than would get hurt next week.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Fortune Teller
Sophomore

Post#156 » by Fortune Teller » Fri Dec 8, 2023 5:11 pm

Isaac out again tonight.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#157 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Dec 8, 2023 5:25 pm

Fortune Teller wrote:Isaac out again tonight.

:ouch:
Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,175

Post#158 » by Kent » Fri Dec 8, 2023 7:56 pm

I'll take the situation with him out of the lineup for days or weeks at a time versus years.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,852

Post#159 » by RookieStar » Fri Dec 8, 2023 8:51 pm

I thought he was ok. I mean he dressed and warmed-up but we just didnt put him into the game against BKN. Now he is out???
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,153

Post#160 » by swarlesbarkley » Sat Dec 9, 2023 1:11 am

Kent wrote:I'll take the situation with him out of the lineup for days or weeks at a time versus years.

Sure, but neither helps us long term or in the playoffs. The team can't install any sort of strategy that includes him and his skill set because he just can't play 5 games in a row (aka a playoff series). So basically his role has to be random energy defender off the bench.

Return to Orlando Magic