ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Official Around the NBA Discussion Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,638

Re: 2023-2024 Official Around the NBA Discussion Thread 

Post#1961 » by SOUL » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 pm

Murray shot 8 more threes tonight (19) than Fultz has in 34 games (11).
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,992

Post#1962 » by MagicMatic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 pm

Skybox wrote:
thelead wrote:Should have been a magician at the deadline. Atlanta isn't trading him anymore. Called it the second Trae got injured.

No skipping steps :banghead:

Price is skyrocketing- if he’s even on the block again. He was absolutely, publicly on the block.

What assets did Orlando have to outbid on Dejounte?

I know we like to think he was actually a target, but I don't see where we have the value.

Is this FO giving up 2 future frp + salary filler + maybe ALSO a rookie contract guy for Murray?

His initial trade from SA was 3 frp's, a pick swap, and filler (Gallo). If anything, his price has gone up not down.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#1963 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:33 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:
thelead wrote:Should have been a magician at the deadline. Atlanta isn't trading him anymore. Called it the second Trae got injured.

Price is skyrocketing- if he’s even on the block again. He was absolutely, publicly on the block.

I know we like to think he was actually a target, but I don't see where we have the value.

Is this FO giving up 2 future frp + salary filler + maybe ALSO a rookie contract guy for Murray?

My biggest issue always circles back to this. Surely they can do better then what we offer?

The other side of this, Jett and AB can't crack OUR rotation. Whether that is because
- They suck
- We dont want to play rookies in win now mode
- Combination of both

So now, we are talking maybe 3 frp with some salty unprotection to spice it up + salary filler + and all the 2nds. But iirc we dont have any juicy high money contracts next season to behave as salary filler either.

It's why reupping with mediocre + bench. Fridge guys looking for a quick paycheck before they retire. Letting our rookies grow into their bodies and hopefully becoming NBA players seems to be what we are doing.

I wish I wasn't repeating myself so often.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#1964 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:

His initial trade from SA was 3 frp's, a pick swap, and filler (Gallo). If anything, his price has gone up not down.

WCJ + Orl 2024 first + Denver 2025 first was a decent place to start imo
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1965 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:

It's a good place to start sure. But why does Atlanta do this other then draft picks? Not good ones at that.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1966 » by MagicMatic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:

My biggest issue always circles back to this. Surely they can do better then what we offer?

The other side of this, Jett and AB can't crack OUR rotation. Whether that is because
- They suck
- We dont want to play rookies in win now mode
- Combination of both

So now, we are talking maybe 3 frp with some salty unprotection to spice it up + salary filler + and all the 2nds. But iirc we dont have any juicy high money contracts next season to behave as salary filler either.

It's why reupping with mediocre + bench. Fridge guys looking for a quick paycheck before they retire. Letting our rookies grow into their bodies and hopefully becoming NBA players seems to be what we are doing.

I wish I wasn't repeating myself so often.

Combination of both.

Rookies always suck unless their names are Luka or Lebron. It's rare that they are immediately impacting NBA games otherwise. FO did the dumb thing of attempting to develop Black while also appeasing everyone in win now mode, so they didn't acquire alternative stop gaps and now he isnt even getting real minutes.

IMO Black has met expectations for what I expected, but its going to take him another season or two to be starting and running things. He turned 20 in January. Jett.. who tf knows.

Orlando isn't outbidding teams for Murray, that are further along, and definitely not to an in-conference rival.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,112

Post#1967 » by tiderulz » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:

honestly, the Denver pick isnt really worth a whole lot.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1968 » by MagicMatic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:51 pm

tiderulz wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Also, what is Atlanta doing with WCJ? Okongwu and Capela are still under contract and are $35m combined.

The point is that Orlando isn't sitting on a warchest and other teams are.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#1969 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:

Also, what is Atlanta doing with WCJ? Okongwu and Capela are still under contract and are $35m combined.

Three team trade? :dontknow:

It wasn’t that long ago that this forum was claiming WCJ was on the best contract in the league

And by not long ago, I mean within the last few months. Lol
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1970 » by MagicMatic » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
tiderulz wrote:honestly, the Denver pick isnt really worth a whole lot.

Three team trade? :dontknow:

It wasn’t that long ago that this forum was claiming WCJ was on the best contract in the league

And by not long ago, I mean within the last few months. Lol

I think Carter has very good value. Probably the best of Orlando's "on the table" assets. His contract is super friendly. He just doesn't fit what this team needs now POST drafting Franz/Paolo. He's a good player, but Orlando isnt sitting on a stockpile of GOOD pick packages like OKC or have a ton of other value in young prospects that are needing opportunity.

Thats what this organization doesn't seem to understand. Just because you have players under contract PRIOR to acquiring your core (Fultz, Carter, etc) doesn't mean they make sense as long term pieces next to those guys. That value gets squeezed the longer you wait and the team has to adjust when those guys inevitably leave.

Now is the window to move Carter. The deadline was ideal and thats why we heard some rumors. We are getting nothing for Fultz. That window was 2 seasons ago.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,739

Post#1971 » by thelead » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 pm

Dejounte was absolutely available for an average package (according to major reporters anyway). His stats were not great when he was sharing the floor with Trae. That’s why I wanted the FO to pounce. The second Trae got injured, it was obvious that he would become the primary ball handler again and that he would get back to how he played before the terrible pairing with Trae.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,119

Post#1972 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 pm

Carter will run the same path as Vuc/Fournier. He’s more valuable to us vs what we could get for him.

We just got lucky and Bulls made a boneheaded trade. I don’t see that happening again but would be thrilled.

I’d love to package our pick + Denver pick & Cole for a better overall guard.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,362

Post#1973 » by Knightro » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 pm

By pretty much all the reputable NBA media folks, the Lakers had a deal more or less agreed to for Murray that was contingent on a third team taking Russell (and presumably sending the Hawks another pick).

It was Russell, Jalen Hood-Schifino and an unprotected 2029 1st round pick.

Let's say the Hawks wanted another 1st in exchange for somebody taking Russell...

So you're talking two first round picks and Hood-Schifino. Not that much all things considered.

Would you do the Magic's 2024 1st, the Nuggets 2025 1st and Jett Howard for Murray? I would certainly.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1974 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:30 pm

Knightro wrote:By pretty much all the reputable NBA media folks, the Lakers had a deal more or less agreed to for Murray that was contingent on a third team taking Russell (and presumably sending the Hawks another pick).

Let's say the Hawks wanted another 1st in exchange for somebody taking Russell...

So you're talking two first round picks and Hood-Schifino. Not that much all things considered.

Would you do the Magic's 2024 1st, the Nuggets 2025 1st and Jett Howard for Murray? I would certainly.

Knightro, what kinda statement is this my friend?

There isn't a planet where I would say no to a gifted player of Murrays caliber.

I'm confused thought, because why does Atl do this now?

I suppose the idea was "back at the tread deadline". Then ok, I get you.

If that was ever proposed it arguably was better, even if we don't know the internal politics of NBA GM's and whom likes who.

Final thoughts : Jett Howard I think plays into Orlandos owners Michigan ties to both the college and Orlando's Juwan Howard. It just makes so much sense with all of our draft picks from them. (quick edit) I doubt he is included very often in packages due to this.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,635

Post#1975 » by Skybox » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:34 pm

Knightro wrote:By pretty much all the reputable NBA media folks, the Lakers had a deal more or less agreed to for Murray that was contingent on a third team taking Russell (and presumably sending the Hawks another pick).

I would happily do that...I'd also do 3 picks AND absorbing him in to cap space (which is no small thing)...we could turn around and move WCJ and/or Cole (elsewhere) to get back into a future draft (that we moved out of with ATL trade) if we felt like we needed to. I'd be more than happy sitting out a couple of drafts...we have raw talent like AB & Jett on the runway anyway...we could do a lot worse than T. Queen or McLung in dress clothes on the end of the bench. I think it's time to tighten the rotation to 8 or 9 really good players rather than 12 or 13 good ones.

I heard a report that LAL would revisit Murray this summer when they had access to 2 more frps. Made sense for ATL to wait for that as Murray is under team control. I still want Murray but the best opportunity for a good deal is passed.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,274

Post#1976 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 pm

How good is Murray and is he a good teammate?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1977 » by Knightro » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 pm

thelead wrote:Dejounte was absolutely available for an average package (according to major reporters anyway). His stats were not great when he was sharing the floor with Trae. That’s why I wanted the FO to pounce. The second Trae got injured, it was obvious that he would become the primary ball handler again and that he would get back to how he played before the terrible pairing with Trae.

Trae isn't dead, ya know? :lol:

He's going to come back eventually and I still think they're more likely to deal Murray than Young because Young is just going to be much more difficult to move for a variety of reasons (contract and style of play primarily).
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1978 » by Knightro » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 pm

eyriq wrote:

I think he's a good player. He's been a + EPM guy in each of the last four seasons.

His defense has regressed somewhat alarmingly since going to Atlanta, but I'm not sure if that's just a product of playing on a team where defense generally does not apply or what. He is still very much in his physical prime and was a very good defender in San Antonio just a couple of seasons ago.

The teammate stuff... hard to say. There's been scuttlebutt out there that he's a sketchy teammate, and he had that beef with Paolo in the summer Pro-Am. But that appears to have been squashed, so who knows really on that front.

What I do know is that he'd be the best offensive guard on the roster by a mile, and if you can get him to defend like he did in San Antonio, you're talking about a top 50 player pretty easily.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1979 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I think he's a good player. He's been a + EPM guy in each of the last four seasons.

His defense has regressed somewhat alarmingly since going to Atlanta, but I'm not sure if that's just a product of playing on a team where defense generally does not apply or what. He is still very much in his physical prime and was a very good defender in San Antonio just a couple of seasons ago.

The teammate stuff... hard to say. There's been scuttlebutt out there that he's a sketchy teammate, and he had that beef with Paolo in the summer Pro-Am. But that appears to have been squashed, so who knows really on that front.

What I do know is that he'd be the best offensive guard on the roster by a mile, and if you can get him to defend like he did in San Antonio, you're talking about a top 50 player pretty easily.
The world is WePark's oyster. It will be an interesting off-season.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1980 » by eyriq » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=atcpS_T-vQiSvU7XoDVJSA&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=aK2ZrrN8NvSIX6UlB8v1-A&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=wgtjJeCK-HqzBJeDkr1cMA&s=19