ImageImageImageImage

Who is Paolo Banchero?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Re: Who is Paolo Banchero? 

Post#241 » by Skybox » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:19 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

Can I give you 1000 and 1's?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using RealGM mobile app

I get kind of frustrated with posters who take any bit of criticism as total hatred.

Ah yes, the guy who wanted Chet or Sharpe and thinks P5 is a worse version ("poor man") of Julius Randle isn't hating. Cool, cool cool.

I’ve made some bad picks…but those aren’t mine. :noway: think you’re pointing at the wrong guy

I’ve certainly been accused of being a “hater” because I want to discuss obvious flaws in roster construction…that’s not the same as calling a player “worthless” or hating them. That’s not a problem with the team, that’s the problem with children who can’t separate criticism from emotion…current state of our country in a lot of ways.

In a pure analytical sense, if you love Paolo…you realistically can’t support keeping Fultz around. Or, you can just be a child, with your big foam finger, and yell “no, they’re all great…hater”
SloNick Russia
Analyst
And1: 370

Post#242 » by SloNick Russia » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:18 pm

Im actually impresed with his progress on defense this year. For a guy who was labeled a liability on D by draft scout he has been focused and solid in team defense. Still a work in progress, I wish he rebounded more but effort is there. And he takes the challenges of guarding guys like LeBron and Giannis. I can really see a small ball C potential there. Big props to Mosley for developing a defensive culture with young players, two way stars are priceless in the NBA.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#243 » by OrlDave » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:42 pm

Skybox wrote:
OrlDave wrote:
Skybox wrote:
I get kind of frustrated with posters who take any bit of criticism as total hatred.

Ah yes, the guy who wanted Chet or Sharpe and thinks P5 is a worse version ("poor man") of Julius Randle isn't hating. Cool, cool cool.

I’ve made some bad picks…but those aren’t mine. :noway: think you’re pointing at the wrong guy

I’ve certainly been accused of being a “hater” because I want to discuss obvious flaws in roster construction…that’s not the same as calling a player “worthless” or hating them. That’s not a problem with the team, that’s the problem with children who can’t separate criticism from emotion…current state of our country in a lot of ways.

In a pure analytical sense, if you love Paolo…you realistically can’t support keeping Fultz around. Or, you can just be a child, with your big foam finger, and yell “no, they’re all great…hater”

Well, I never pointed at you to begin with, you took offense with my post on your own. I was pointing at the guy who started this silly thread. I replied to your post because.. you know, you had a problem with my post so I pointed back to the inspiration of my post who; newsflash, wasn't you. Now you are calling me a child. So... this is fun.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 694

Post#244 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:02 pm

SloNick Russia wrote:Im actually impresed with his progress on defense this year. For a guy who was labeled a liability on D by draft scout he has been focused and solid in team defense. Still a work in progress, I wish he rebounded more but effort is there. And he takes the challenges of guarding guys like LeBron and Giannis. I can really see a small ball C potential there. Big props to Mosley for developing a defensive culture with young players, two way stars are priceless in the NBA.

Yes, his defensive lift absolutely makes some of his offensive struggles more palatable especially in year 2 in my humble opinion. He and Franz are on the verge of becoming something special for us.

Combine that with Suggs / Black / and an on again off again but will likely never be healthy JI. That could have been a top 3 defense the next 10 years.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#245 » by Skybox » Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:31 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Skybox wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

Well, I never pointed at you to begin with, you took offense with my post on your own. I was pointing at the guy who started this silly thread. I replied to your post because.. you know, you had a problem with my post so I pointed back to the inspiration of my post who; newsflash, wasn't you. Now you are calling me a child. So... this is fun.

Sorry. Wasn't intended to direct at you...just general concept of some supporting a fave without consideration of facts. I understand that some have a real basketball basis for supporting Fultz, which I disagree with but respect.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,214

Post#246 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:10 am

I guess we are not trading Paolo tonight????
aka: prorl
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,683

Post#247 » by Rainwater » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:50 am

He really is going to be a great player. He scores effortlessly, improved defense, has controlled his TOs, really great passer, his ballhandling has tightened. He is a star.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,923

Post#248 » by JF5 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:09 am

SloNick Russia wrote:Im actually impresed with his progress on defense this year. For a guy who was labeled a liability on D by draft scout he has been focused and solid in team defense. Still a work in progress, I wish he rebounded more but effort is there. And he takes the challenges of guarding guys like LeBron and Giannis. I can really see a small ball C potential there. Big props to Mosley for developing a defensive culture with young players, two way stars are priceless in the NBA.

I think is what gets missed with his development. He's an already a pretty good scorer for a young player. That's what he was drafted for.

But for him to be a Superstar the other skills like man defense, team defense, off-ball defense, facilitating, off-ball facilitating, off-ball movement, Off-ball shooting, and making his teammates better is what is going to make him one of the best of the best.

When I saw comments of saying just let Paolo chuck it 25+ shots a game or guys werent happy hes only taking 14 shots per game. It doesn't make him better or the team better. Paolo recognizes this and plays within the structure of the offense until the team needs him to. That's how it's always been. Guys like Jordan and Kobe realized this later in their careers, whilst Guys like Jokic, Duncan, and LeBron realized this early on in their careers.

I'm happy Paolo taking this approach because it's translating into team success and the emergence of his teammates. Thats the sign of a player who gets it. It's obvious he's going to be a 25/8/5 guy for years to come once he improves his shooting and gains experience. It's just about doing it the right way.
D J C
Pro Prospect
And1: 516

Post#249 » by D J C » Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:17 pm

If we take out his slow start in October over the first 4 games (12.5 PTS/G on 11.3 FGA/G) I think we can see a more accurate snapshot of what to expect to see from him for the year

In November he's averaging:

21.8 PPG (15.7 FGA) | 7.2 RPG | 4.3 APG on 49.7 | 46.7 | 71.6 (6.7 FTA) splits

Comparing that to some current superstars/MVP candidates

Giannis at 21 years old (3rd season) - 16.9 PPG (12.7 FTA) | 7.7 RPG | 4.3 APG on 50.6 | 25.7 | 72.4 (5.1 FTA) splits

Jayson Tatum
20 y/o (2nd season) - 15.7 PPG (13.1 FGA) | 6.0 RPG | 2.1 APG on 45 | 37.3 | 85.5 (2.9 FTA) splits
21 y/o (3rd season) - 23.4 PPG (18.6 FGA) | 7 RPG | 3 APG on 45 | 40.3 | 81 (4.7 FTA) splits

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander at 21 y/o (2nd season) - 19 PPG (14.5 FGA) | 5.9 RPG | 3.3 APG on 47.1 | 34.7 | 80.7 (5.1 FTA) splits

Anthony Edwards
20 y/o (2nd season) - 21.3 PPG (17.3 FGA) | 4.8 RPG | 3.8 APG on 44.1 | 35.7 | 78.6 (3.9 FTA) splits
21 y/o (3rd season) - 24.6 PPG (19.5 FGA) | 5.8 RPG | 4.4 APG on 45.9 | 36.9 | 75.6 (5.3 FTA) splits

I didnt include Luka bc he's just got silly numbers at 21 y/o

Paolo doesnt have the highest PPG, but at just 15.7 FGA a game right now it's impressive where he sits on that list

He gets to the line more than anyone here, if he can hit 70%+ consistently thats huge

He's right there with Giannis with rebounding and assists leading the pack

Its easy to forget where these guys were at when they were in their 2nd/3rd season and just ~21 years old. We all want Paolo to be on that level ASAP and expect so much out of him bc we've seen what he's capable of, but looking at this just shows how he project and how he's really riding that path to greatness.
golfreak
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#250 » by golfreak » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:09 pm

And this thread cumulatively ended with Paolo winning player of the week.
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 360

Post#251 » by msmoore66 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:36 pm

I find I am searching for this thread on a daily basis to see what the responses have been.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,214

Post#252 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:13 am

magik9113 wrote:
djguevara114 wrote:
magik9113 wrote: :lol: lmao chill

I’d rather have a Diaw type for this team… Better defender and shooter and would cost a third of what we a most likely going to pay Paolo.

will definitely be revisiting these comments later in the season

aka: prorl
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 269

Post#253 » by meatwad4343 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:30 am

The scoring numbers aren't reflecting it as he's still averaging close to 20, but wow he has gotten way more efficient this year. Crazy how much his percentages have increased and his 3 point %. If he gets more aggressive and gets his free throw numbers up a bit I could see him averaging close to 30 in a year or two
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,370

Post#254 » by tooler » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:48 am

If you asked Paolo to improve over the offseason, you'd say defense, passing, and shooting efficiency. He's done all of that. Maybe you quibble and ask him to grab more rebounds.

I'd love for him to be a 25 PPG scorer right away, but there's plenty of time for him to grow into that.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,491

Post#255 » by Bensational » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:41 am

D J C wrote:If we take out his slow start in October over the first 4 games (12.5 PTS/G on 11.3 FGA/G) I think we can see a more accurate snapshot of what to expect to see from him for the year

In November he's averaging:

21.8 PPG (15.7 FGA) | 7.2 RPG | 4.3 APG on 49.7 | 46.7 | 71.6 (6.7 FTA) splits

Fantastic breakdown and comps.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,854

Post#256 » by RookieStar » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:26 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:
magik9113 wrote:
djguevara114 wrote:I’d rather have a Diaw type for this team… Better defender and shooter and would cost a third of what we a most likely going to pay Paolo.

will definitely be revisiting these comments later in the season

Where is he anyway? He should take our bashing like a man.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,049

Post#257 » by KillMonger » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:59 am

Read on Twitter
D J C
Pro Prospect
And1: 516

Post#258 » by D J C » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:24 pm

tooler wrote:If you asked Paolo to improve over the offseason, you'd say defense, passing, and shooting efficiency. He's done all of that. Maybe you quibble and ask him to grab more rebounds.

I'd love for him to be a 25 PPG scorer right away, but there's plenty of time for him to grow into that.

Right we’d all love for him to have that volume scoring and it’s easy to look at all these other young guys with big numbers, but i think our expectations are just a bit high for him bc we’ve seen what he’s capable of.

Just looking at the list of players under 22 y/o to score 25+ ppg in a season:

oscar, rick barry, jordan, Shaq, Tmac, Carmelo, lebron, Durant, Luka, Trae, zion, KAT

That’s a pretty small list, littered with first ballot HOFers.

The lowest FGA on that list is Zion with 17 FGA/G (insane) and KAT with 18 FGA/G. The rest of the list is ~20+ FGA/G.

Paolo in November is at 15.7 FGA/G and scoring 22.1 PPG.

If you assume he could increase his volume at that pace (not even accounting for extra FTs for the extra usage/FGAs) that would have him needing 17.7 FGA/G to break that 25+ PPG mark.

For comparison, Lamelo/Brunson/BI are all around ~24.5 ppg on ~19.5 FGA/G right now.

Now of course it’s all hypothetical and volume doesn’t always translate like that yada yada, but it’s more of a practice showing that he’s very well capable of those higher numbers if we just feed him more. But that’s not the goal right now as we all know. It’s to play winning ball, and that’s exactly what this young man is doing.

I think a line we can look at and expect from Paolo this year with his usage and play this past month is 22+ PPG, 6+ RPG and 4+ APG.. The only players to hit these marks under 22 years old are:
MJ, Kobe, TMac, Lebron, Luka, Lamelo.

Every name to do that on a playoff team is a Hall of Famer.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#259 » by Skybox » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:24 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
magik9113 wrote:will definitely be revisiting these comments later in the season

Where is he anyway? He should take our bashing like a man.

Agree...I'm taking my righteous lumps on Poole :lol:

Debts must be collected around here
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#260 » by jonbob17 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:41 pm

tooler wrote:If you asked Paolo to improve over the offseason, you'd say defense, passing, and shooting efficiency. He's done all of that. Maybe you quibble and ask him to grab more rebounds.

How's he supposed to grab rebounds with the rest of the team as tenacious on the boards as they are.

Low hanging fruit he could improve: I'd say he could clean up some of the turnovers...he leads the team by quite a bit. FT%, not sure if he's just tired, or its a concentration thing. I think one day Paolo is going to lead the league in FT attempts. It looks like he gets fouled way more than the calls (goes for Franz too). Maybe this is just not getting superstar treatment (yet) or maybe Paolo needs to lean into fouls or do a better job selling them.

Return to Orlando Magic