ImageImageImageImage

Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,823

Re: Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread 

Post#41 » by Audi » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:23 pm

fendilim wrote:
KillMonger wrote:seems like the tos is flaring up.....the hitch is back

He needs momentum from his legs. The hitch has always been there. Just look at him shooting free throws.

Its just more evident now because he cant even bend his leg haha

Yep. I have a theory that the timing of when the nerve compression happens during the certain point in his shooting motion makes all the difference. When it's at the apex of his shot motion, it looks smooth. When it's ill-timed, the hitch is apparent. This ties in to when he shoots with feet planted, the spinal column (in his case, the thoracic part is what matters) is compressed. Contrast to when you are in the air, the compression is far less. This could be why we see him struggle historically with catch and shoot vs shooting off the dribble. Having his legs under him really does play a major part.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,107

Post#42 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:00 pm

RichCollab wrote:TOS never went away. He just took pressure off his shoulders when shooting by using his lower body.

I’m not optimistic now that he will return anytime soon. Praying for a miracle.

Well that might be a reason for optimism and explain it. If the knee is bothering him he isn’t using his lower body so maybe he will be fine when knee gets better. Regardless this does indicate that we’re probably in the last year of Fultz
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#43 » by jonbob17 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:25 pm

Knightro wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
Listener had a question for this podcast. What kind of guard should the Magic be looking to put next to Franz and Paolo? This national podcaster actually got the answer right.

Question starts at 32:54

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hoops-tonight-with-jason-timpf/id1536277916?i=1000635227109

Respectfully, I don't agree with him.

He's talking about waiting two years to see what Suggs/Black/Fultz (lol) become because the Magic's competitive window isn't open, which on paper sounds fine and isn't inaccurate, but it's just not looking at the whole picture.

The Magic have like 75M in expiring contracts and two years from now Franz will be on a max, Suggs will be on a much bigger contract and Paolo will be one year away from a max.

The clean cap sheet they current possess is finite. Are they going to eat up those dollars just kicking the can down the road by extending Fultz and Gary and Ingles and Moritz and Isaac on short term deals or what?

Reviving this from the dead thread. found the interesting point of the question and the answer to be more centered on the archetype of what kind of guards we should be looking for. The question was an on ball distributor vs a spot up shooter/off ball creator.

The podcaster answered, and some of this may be paraphrasing: that the Magic should be using Franz and Paolo as the initiators on offense as the two best players, and look for guards that can make shots and cut to the rim, while also being able to play point of attack defense. Seemed specifically bullish on Suggs, should he be able to round out his offensive game would be perfect next to Franz and Paolo, yes he also suggested see what Fultz is....i do think the National media might not be watching every game, and seeing more box scores and highlights, i.e. not sure he is as good as they think he is. The point of attack defense is going to be very important, especially if WCJ is the center with his lack of rim protection. Paolo looks much better on D this year, but he's never going to be an eraser.

The thing to be optimistic is about here is the flexibility the Magic are going to have in building out a roster. As long as Franz and Paolo are able to grow into something close or better than we are expecting then we are going to be able to put fill out the roster with guys that may have some warts..like a PG who doesn't have all the PG ballhandling/creation skills.

And yes Paolo and Franz are getting maxes but not all maxes are created equal. They will be on rookie extensions, and in all likelihood at 25% of the cap, so we will have our two best players at 50% of the cap...Suggs will probably be around 20%. So if they are three three best players we are going to be in really good shape 70% on those three guys with 30% left over and another 22% of tax apron(room before the tax)

I feel like i have been about the bullish person on here about the prospects of this team. i said we would win 48 games before the season, and I actually bet the Magic to win the Southeast. Even I don't think this team is truly ready to contend, and probably not next year. Our success is tied to the development of Paolo, Franz, and most likely Suggs and Black. we have to be patient and be ready to add the right pieces next to our key guys.
We are lucky to be in this situation, management doesnt want to rush it and foul this thing up.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#44 » by ogmagicfan » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:28 pm

As someone who recovered from a really bad shoulder impingment that I didn't treat for a couple years, I genuinely sympathize with Fultz.

However shoulders are really key for shooting, and all I can wonder is how much has his shoulders hurt after playing in practice or an NBA game
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,532

Post#45 » by eyriq » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:53 pm

jonbob17 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
jonbob17 wrote:
Listener had a question for this podcast. What kind of guard should the Magic be looking to put next to Franz and Paolo? This national podcaster actually got the answer right.

Question starts at 32:54

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hoops-tonight-with-jason-timpf/id1536277916?i=1000635227109

Respectfully, I don't agree with him.

He's talking about waiting two years to see what Suggs/Black/Fultz (lol) become because the Magic's competitive window isn't open, which on paper sounds fine and isn't inaccurate, but it's just not looking at the whole picture.

The Magic have like 75M in expiring contracts and two years from now Franz will be on a max, Suggs will be on a much bigger contract and Paolo will be one year away from a max.

The clean cap sheet they current possess is finite. Are they going to eat up those dollars just kicking the can down the road by extending Fultz and Gary and Ingles and Moritz and Isaac on short term deals or what?

Reviving this from the dead thread. found the interesting point of the question and the answer to be more centered on the archetype of what kind of guards we should be looking for. The question was an on ball distributor vs a spot up shooter/off ball creator.

The podcaster answered, and some of this may be paraphrasing: that the Magic should be using Franz and Paolo as the initiators on offense as the two best players, and look for guards that can make shots and cut to the rim, while also being able to play point of attack defense. Seemed specifically bullish on Suggs, should he be able to round out his offensive game would be perfect next to Franz and Paolo, yes he also suggested see what Fultz is....i do think the National media might not be watching every game, and seeing more box scores and highlights, i.e. not sure he is as good as they think he is. The point of attack defense is going to be very important, especially if WCJ is the center with his lack of rim protection. Paolo looks much better on D this year, but he's never going to be an eraser.

The thing to be optimistic is about here is the flexibility the Magic are going to have in building out a roster. As long as Franz and Paolo are able to grow into something close or better than we are expecting then we are going to be able to put fill out the roster with guys that may have some warts..like a PG who doesn't have all the PG ballhandling/creation skills.

And yes Paolo and Franz are getting maxes but not all maxes are created equal. They will be on rookie extensions, and in all likelihood at 25% of the cap, so we will have our two best players at 50% of the cap...Suggs will probably be around 20%. So if they are three three best players we are going to be in really good shape 70% on those three guys with 30% left over and another 22% of tax apron(room before the tax)

I feel like i have been about the bullish person on here about the prospects of this team. i said we would win 48 games before the season, and I actually bet the Magic to win the Southeast. Even I don't think this team is truly ready to contend, and probably not next year. Our success is tied to the development of Paolo, Franz, and most likely Suggs and Black. we have to be patient and be ready to add the right pieces next to our key guys.
We are lucky to be in this situation, management doesnt want to rush it and foul this thing up.
I like this a lot. A lot depends on Suggs developing on the offensive side of the ball in his junior and senior seasons. IF he can be a reliable third option my Lord are we set.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,531

Post#46 » by jezzerinho » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:34 pm

Franz already takes the ball up and initiates a lot of possessions with Fultz out.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,937

Post#47 » by thelead » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:04 am

Loving that our centers aren’t jacking up a ton of 3’s. Mose is tightening things up. In the last 4 games:

Goga: 0-0 from 3
Mo: 1-3 from 3
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#48 » by tooler » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:06 am

thelead wrote:Loving that our centers aren’t jacking up a ton of 3’s. Mose is tightening things up. In the last 4 games:

Goga: 0-0 from 3
Mo: 1-3 from 3

Wagner getting a lot of use out of that WCJ shot fake on the perimeter. :lol:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,267

Post#49 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:26 am

We are 7th in the league in point differential…..guys we are good….
aka: prorl
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#50 » by jonbob17 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:36 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:We are 7th in the league in point differential…..guys we are good….

And just think how many big leads we have given up...record and points differential could be a lot better.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,531

Post#51 » by jezzerinho » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:27 am

The East is winnable for any top 5 team folks. I know, Boston. But it's not a murderers row like in the West.

Orl just needs to keep working and getting better so as to be in that top eastern tier.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,028

Post#52 » by drsd » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:46 am

Boxscore thoughts:

Orlando lost the FG% battle (barely) but won the game ....
.... because the Magic took TWENTYFIVE more FG attempts. OOOOooofff

The Magic made 12 more FGs
15-5 on offensive rebounding
12-6 on steals
8-6 on blocks

And the stat that let Coach sleep soundly, the Magic won the TO battle 12-23.

Orlando is perfecting this Defense leads to Offense.
drsd
RealGM

Post#53 » by drsd » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:48 am

With this win the Magic is back up to +4 in points differential. Then Magic is playing like the 4th best team in the East.
It is difficult seeing how this team is only a play-in team. A lot would have to go wrong for Orlando to slide out of the top-6 record wise.
drsd
RealGM

Post#54 » by drsd » Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:54 am

dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,050

Post#55 » by dsg2021 » Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:00 am

Optimus_Steel wrote:We are 7th in the league in point differential…..guys we are good….

We are also tied 7th in the League Standings
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,902

Post#56 » by RookieStar » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:02 am

jezzerinho wrote:The East is winnable for any top 5 team folks. I know, Boston. But it's not a murderers row like in the West.

Orl just needs to keep working and getting better so as to be in that top eastern tier.

BOS for me is on thin ice. When the inevitable Porzingis injury happens, they are gonna be mincemeat for the bigs in the east. Especially with an aging Al Horford.

Giannis,Embiid, hopefully Paolo will be licking their chops.

Although they can and will stifle the guards and wings especially with Jrue there.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,902

Post#57 » by RookieStar » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:03 am

dsg2021 wrote:

Hope we continue it. Im more optimistic this time compared to the Vuc Era hot start we had.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#58 » by tooler » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:58 am

RookieStar wrote:When the inevitable Porzingis injury happens

We shouldn't put that evil on them when we're one of the most fragile teams in the league. (No comment on how we sometimes play better with a couple of injured players...)
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,753

Post#59 » by Skybox » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:07 pm

RookieStar wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:The East is winnable for any top 5 team folks. I know, Boston. But it's not a murderers row like in the West.

BOS for me is on thin ice. When the inevitable Porzingis injury happens, they are gonna be mincemeat for the bigs in the east. Especially with an aging Al Horford.

Giannis,Embiid, hopefully Paolo will be licking their chops.

Although they can and will stifle the guards and wings especially with Jrue there.

Yep. BOS starters are historically good…but that is a thin roster. Their only notable bench player is 40 yrs old. They’ll need to pick up a castoff before the TD, imo, to solidify their title chances…I’m sure they plan to. Our best bet is to come at them in waves and try to neutralize the starters into the ground, with our defensive intensity, on both ends, and let our bench depth make the difference.

Easy to say but…
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,267

Post#60 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:44 pm

RookieStar wrote:
dsg2021 wrote:

Hope we continue it. Im more optimistic this time compared to the Vuc Era hot start we had.

Yea that hot start not sustainable. We were shooting historical 3pt numbers. This time around we have the defensive personnel to sustain this. We also seem mentally tougher now.
aka: prorl

Return to Orlando Magic