ImageImageImageImage

Suggs’ extension

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 400

Re: Suggs’ extension 

Post#101 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:04 am

Knightro wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:Whatever Bruce Brown got, that's basically what Suggs should get.

Bruce Brown got $22.5M AAV which would be 4/90 over a long-term deal for Suggs.

But it's also likely Brown got a higher AAV than he would have on a longer deal because he was willing to take a short deal.

Yea that sounds about right to me.

I'd give Suggs around 3/55.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,300

Post#102 » by eyriq » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:30 am

Rainwater wrote:
p0peye wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
I also want a move to be made but I think people also need to realize this team is still a very young team and the rebuild just happened 3 years ago. So I wouldn’t say the front office are incapable of building around the young guys, they barely had the opportunity to do so. Paolo was just drafted last year, lol.

No, Paolo was drafted in 2022. They had opportunity to trade or sign better fitting players in offseason, when we knew what we have in Paolo and Franz, as well as their superpowers and growth areas. They have an opportunity now to make trades to improve role players around them before Feb 9th trade deadline.

Sorry for the confusion but when I mean he was drafted last season I mean to say he was a rookie last season. Most teams are not building contenders in two years. And Most knew that Paolo and Franz would be great but most didn’t expect the magic to be this good. Hell, most had the magic with a losing record but I doubt that will be the case now. I just feel like the rapid success the Magic have gotten has Magic fans believing that the rebuild process is done when really it’s still in its infancy.
Good way to put it, a build around the core is yet to start
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#103 » by Skin » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:23 pm

eyriq wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
p0peye wrote:
No, Paolo was drafted in 2022. They had opportunity to trade or sign better fitting players in offseason, when we knew what we have in Paolo and Franz, as well as their superpowers and growth areas. They have an opportunity now to make trades to improve role players around them before Feb 9th trade deadline.

Sorry for the confusion but when I mean he was drafted last season I mean to say he was a rookie last season. Most teams are not building contenders in two years. And Most knew that Paolo and Franz would be great but most didn’t expect the magic to be this good. Hell, most had the magic with a losing record but I doubt that will be the case now. I just feel like the rapid success the Magic have gotten has Magic fans believing that the rebuild process is done when really it’s still in its infancy.

I think it's a very bad idea and very bad practice to look at your team and say, "We're young, we still have time to build". No, the cost of new extensions drastically impacts summer moves and future planning. I like what Houstan is doing. They know they are young, but look at the Wire Tap headlines, "Rockets Have Made Aggressive Offer To Nets For Mikal Bridges". I wish that said, "Magic Have Made Aggressive Offer To Nets For Mikal Bridges". But no. If the reason why we are not chasing him is because we think we are too young, then that is messed up.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#104 » by zaymon » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:42 pm

Skin wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

I think it's a very bad idea and very bad practice to look at your team and say, "We're young, we still have time to build". No, the cost of new extensions drastically impacts summer moves and future planning. I like what Houstan is doing. They know they are young, but look at the Wire Tap headlines, "Rockets Have Made Aggressive Offer To Nets For Mikal Bridges". I wish that said, "Magic Have Made Aggressive Offer To Nets For Mikal Bridges". But no. If the reason why we are not chasing him is because we think we are too young, then that is messed up.

Rockets are in a much worse situation than us. I take Franz and Paolo above any of their players. They overpaid Fred and they are still wprse than us. We have MUCH better front office.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skin
RealGM

Post#105 » by Skin » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:01 pm

zaymon wrote:
Skin wrote:
eyriq wrote:Good way to put it, a build around the core is yet to start

Rockets are in a much worse situation than us. I take Franz and Paolo above any of their players. They overpaid Fred and they are still wprse than us. We have MUCH better front office.

Records right now for both teams don't mean anything. Neither are finished products.

What matters is what you look like once you are a contender. Who knows? Maybe FVV is involved in the Bridges talks. Then all of a sudden it doesn't look like a bad signing.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,365

Post#106 » by tooler » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:28 pm

To be fair, Houston had to get aggressive because they don't have a draft pick. Even free agents are a bit of a crap shoot. They're fortunate that it all came together with good balance and defense. I'm surprised.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#107 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Feb 1, 2024 6:51 pm

Skin wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Skin wrote:I think it's a very bad idea and very bad practice to look at your team and say, "We're young, we still have time to build". No, the cost of new extensions drastically impacts summer moves and future planning. I like what Houstan is doing. They know they are young, but look at the Wire Tap headlines, "Rockets Have Made Aggressive Offer To Nets For Mikal Bridges". I wish that said, "Magic Have Made Aggressive Offer To Nets For Mikal Bridges". But no. If the reason why we are not chasing him is because we think we are too young, then that is messed up.

Records right now for both teams don't mean anything. Neither are finished products.

What matters is what you look like once you are a contender. Who knows? Maybe FVV is involved in the Bridges talks. Then all of a sudden it doesn't look like a bad signing.

I Wonder where our record would be if we replaced our Starting PGs performances YTD, with FVV YTD?
It would have cost us renouncing Fultz & G. Harris, and trading the Jett pick for a future 1st.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,167

Post#108 » by zaymon » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:07 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
Skin wrote:
zaymon wrote:

I Wonder where our record would be if we replaced our Starting PGs performances YTD, with FVV YTD?
It would have cost us renouncing Fultz & G. Harris, and trading the Jett pick for a future 1st.

I always liked FVV but he is not worth his contract and NBA gone away from his skill set. Going to the rim is the most important and FVV is below average there.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,304

Post#109 » by pepe1991 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 7:47 pm

tooler wrote:To be fair, Houston had to get aggressive because they don't have a draft pick. Even free agents are a bit of a crap shoot. They're fortunate that it all came together with good balance and defense. I'm surprised.

Also nba requires to invest money to get to cap's floor. Houston have 40% of salary tied into Vleet & Brooks.
Vleet's contract is so massive yet short on purpose, so they can move him after next season as massive $40M of expiring money, that allows them flexibility if/when they resign own players or go after star player.

People make fuss about FVV contract, when in reality, he makes pretty much same money as Fultz + Harris+ Ingles.

IF you line up FVV's production with their cumulative production, you get almost the same, but not split into 3 old (and) broken players, but one player in his prime. So FVV+ any vets minimum body equals more than what you get. Not to mention trading value of FVV as asset compared to zero value you can get from our 3 players who's only value is empty salary space as they expire.

We will again in May be in situation where NBA will require from us to use $40M of cap space. So we will either resign Fultz, Okeke, Goga, Kevon Harris OR find somebody else to dump that money onto.

Houston figured it's better to dump money onto good player ( FVV) than split it into several players that have no value.

There is one team in nba that might be in massive problems next year. Hornets. As Hayward expires, they will be in position where they will be required to fill near $60M of salary . So you can fully expect them to be dumping some 4 years $160M type of deal to Nick Claxston or to be swinging for Goga on $15 M a year or moves like that. Or they will just allow other team to unload massive contract and collect assets.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,006

Post#110 » by p0peye » Thu Feb 1, 2024 8:04 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
tooler wrote:To be fair, Houston had to get aggressive because they don't have a draft pick. Even free agents are a bit of a crap shoot. They're fortunate that it all came together with good balance and defense. I'm surprised.

Also nba requires to invest money to get to cap's floor. Houston have 40% of salary tied into Vleet & Brooks.
Vleet's contract is so massive yet short on purpose, so they can move him after next season as massive $40M of expiring money, that allows them flexibility if/when they resign own players or go after star player.

People make fuss about FVV contract, when in reality, he makes pretty much same money as Fultz + Harris+ Ingles.

IF you line up FVV's production with their cumulative production, you get almost the same, but not split into 3 old (and) broken players, but one player in his prime. So FVV+ any vets minimum body equals more than what you get. Not to mention trading value of FVV as asset compared to zero value you can get from our 3 players who's only value is empty salary space as they expire.

We will again in May be in situation where NBA will require from us to use $40M of cap space. So we will either resign Fultz, Okeke, Goga, Kevon Harris OR find somebody else to dump that money onto.

Houston figured it's better to dump money onto good player ( FVV) than split it into several players that have no value.

There is one team in nba that might be in massive problems next year. Hornets. As Hayward expires, they will be in position where they will be required to fill near $60M of salary . So you can fully expect them to be dumping some 4 years $160M type of deal to Nick Claxston or to be swinging for Goga on $15 M a year or moves like that. Or they will just allow other team to unload massive contract and collect assets.

Thank you. Or as Fultz + Isaac + Okeke.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,664

Post#111 » by Rainwater » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:27 pm

Skin wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

I am not saying the Magic should take their time, what I am saying is that this rebuild just started and I feel like fans want immediate results and immediate action. Unless you are Kobe, most guys don’t start winning until you are 26, 27, or 28 and Paolo and Franz are 21 and 22. Yes, for the sake of progress the organization should make moves but we also need to realize the rebuild just started and we have no clue what the front office has planned. Just because we don’t hear about doesn’t mean there is no plan for action.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,006

Post#112 » by p0peye » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:02 pm

Rainwater wrote:
Skin wrote:

I am not saying the Magic should take their time, what I am saying is that this rebuild just started and I feel like fans want immediate results and immediate action. Unless you are Kobe, most guys don’t start winning until you are 26, 27, or 28 and Paolo and Franz are 21 and 22. Yes, for the sake of progress the organization should make moves but we also need to realize the rebuild just started and we have no clue what the front office has planned. Just because we don’t hear about doesn’t mean there is no plan for action.

If by immediate results you mean taking action to lose dead weight and hire actual NBA players with skills that complement our two young stars, then yes. That is what we want and expect. It ain't rocket science, just do your fricking job that you get paid for. That in essence IS THE PLAN. Not sitting on your hands pretending to have "The Process v2.0".
Skin
RealGM

Post#113 » by Skin » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:39 pm

Rainwater wrote:
Skin wrote:

We went to the Finals with Shaq and Penny when they were babies. It's possible. There's nothing in Paolo and Franz that makes me feel like they are not ready for the big lights. If they are ready, then our GM should push now. I just don't support the "wait until their 27 years old" before we should start to get aggressive in building around them.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,664

Post#114 » by Rainwater » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:03 am

Skin wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Skin wrote:I think it's a very bad idea and very bad practice to look at your team and say, "We're young, we still have time to build". No, the cost of new extensions drastically impacts summer moves and future planning. I like what Houstan is doing. They know they are young, but look at the Wire Tap headlines, "Rockets Have Made Aggressive Offer To Nets For Mikal Bridges". I wish that said, "Magic Have Made Aggressive Offer To Nets For Mikal Bridges". But no. If the reason why we are not chasing him is because we think we are too young, then that is messed up.

We went to the Finals with Shaq and Penny when they were babies. It's possible. There's nothing in Paolo and Franz that makes me feel like they are not ready for the big lights. If they are ready, then our GM should push now. I just don't support the "wait until their 27 years old" before we should start to get aggressive in building around them.

Shaq and penny are rare cases and not the norm. And Shaq himself is a top 10 player of all time and def not the norm. Again, no one is saying the front office should not try but I feel like fans after only two years of a rebuild have some great expectations when they don’t even know what the front office got planned.
Skin
RealGM

Post#115 » by Skin » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:20 am

Rainwater wrote:
Skin wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

Shaq and penny are rare cases and not the norm. And Shaq himself is a top 10 player of all time and def not the norm. Again, no one is saying the front office should not try but I feel like fans after only two years of a rebuild have some great expectations when they don’t even know what the front office got planned.

Doesn't matter if they are on the same level or not. You look at their games individually and if you think they will shine or wilt in the playoffs then that's what you make your decision on in moving forward.

For Paolo and Franz, I look at them and they give me confidence that they will excel in the playoffs.

I look at others like Suggs, Cole, and Black and if they were our cornerstones, then I would say that we are not ready to make any kind of push and be aggressive with the roster.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,917

Post#116 » by JF5 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:32 am

Yeah, most star players typically win their first titles around 27-28 years of age as the guy. I think Tim Duncan was the only one who won the title as the man in his 2nd season. But that was during the lockout season and he was surrounded by veteran guys.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 338

Post#117 » by Mad Guru » Mon Feb 5, 2024 8:22 am

The time for decision making is right now, like this week.

Time to decide who you are going to roll with around Paolo and Wagner.

You got two years to assess this core, and it's time to lose the baggage and focus on who you are keeping long term.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#118 » by drsd » Mon Feb 5, 2024 11:39 am

JF5 wrote:Yeah, most star players typically win their first titles around 27-28 years of age as the guy. I think Tim Duncan was the only one who won the title as the man in his 2nd season. But that was during the lockout season and he was surrounded by veteran guys.

Can you imagine being a 23 year old in season 4, playing next to Duncan, and then having Russel sake your hand as the Finals MVP. What a moment!

Return to Orlando Magic