ImageImageImageImage

Suggs’ extension

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,022

Re: Suggs’ extension 

Post#41 » by fendilim » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:58 pm

Skin wrote:
fendilim wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:thats just you man, and its because you spent years **** on the guy that you cant accept the fact that he has become a good player.

Which young player isnt "inconsistent"? Franz and Paolo havent had bad games?

Which shooter isnt "inconsistent"? This one guy had games where he shot 0/9, 0/8, 1/8, 2/7, 4/14, 4/14, 4/15 this season. Do you know who that is? The greatest shooter of all time, Stephen Curry.

He’s still waiting for aaron gordon to show he is an elite small forward

Elite? I thought it was a way to save him from being a bust, but is that same things as saying he's gonna be elite? Lol. AG has talent, he's just not a leader. We asked him to do too much.

Your words bud, not mine.

You said ag would be elite at sf… lol
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,415

Post#42 » by JRoy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:52 pm

Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Suggs getting at least 100m , don’t know the years.

I'm not convinced of this.

He'll get more than Cole, but I don't think he'll get double Cole.

this SHOULD be a very realistic take...he could well be worth $20m per, IF he continues on his trajectory of offensive improvement. The way his shooting % has improved is astronomical, year to year...but also smallish sample size. Do you base this on his expected improvement or where he's at? (and what does his agent say? you don't want it to get contentious, but...).

I expect $18m x 4, but hopefully as front-loaded as possible. Over that is a real risk for a guy that might be an oft-injured defensive role player...under that could be a steal or even an offensive offer. He's GOT to be a solid #3 or #4 on a playoff threat starting lineup to deserve more than 20, imo. There are plenty of examples of stiffs making that much and they're all regrettable deals.

right now...he's a distant #3 on a team not certain to make the playoffs at all. So much promise, but much of the buzz is intangible stuff which is hard to value.

Someone will pay him $20 million/year and maybe more.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,930

Post#43 » by drsd » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:03 pm

orlando_joe wrote:whats the last player option magic gave?

Evan Fournier?

It's an interesting question as the Magic has not signed any of these deals in quite a while.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,013

Post#44 » by MagicMatic » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:21 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:No extension. If he's so great then why are we begging for an upgrade at his position? If some dumb team thinks this guy is worth a big extension then figure out who that is and trade his ass to them. I'm tired of keeping guys around because they are good teammates or glue guys. His inconsistency every night is sickening.

Suggs at this point is a shooting guard and most people are asking for the Magic to acquire a point guard for what it's worth.

This.

Suggs is tasked with doing way more than needed. He's basically a better version of Gary Harris in year 3 both defensively, shooting off the dribble, and in his ability to make plays.

I've said it before... Orlando's problem isn't a volume shooting guard. It's a point guard that can run the show that ALSO knows how to shoot the basketball. We arent getting much from that position yet.

Yes, Suggs gets injured a lot. But when hes in hes good. People tend to forget he is in year 3 and maybe the first season with real consistent minutes. His numbers are very good this season and hes one of the best defenders at his position.

You say his inconsistency is sickening, yet you are a fan of Fultz. Comical.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,013

Post#45 » by MagicMatic » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:27 pm

Skin wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:No extension. If he's so great then why are we begging for an upgrade at his position? If some dumb team thinks this guy is worth a big extension then figure out who that is and trade his ass to them. I'm tired of keeping guys around because they are good teammates or glue guys. His inconsistency every night is sickening.

Suggs at this point is a shooting guard and most people are asking for the Magic to acquire a point guard for what it's worth.

I thought he was our answer there the day we drafted him. I never liked him as a PG. I thought we had our star SG of the future.

I'll settle with him as our future 6th man or trade bait.

No, that was your expectation when he was drafted.

He shuts down SG's on most nights if you watch him defensively, and that's almost equally as important. I'm tired of arguing with people about whether guys that contribute to winning basketball should be moved. No, the guys that should be trade bait are collecting checks and not playing basketball that results in W's.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#46 » by orlando_joe » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:08 pm

drsd wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:whats the last player option magic gave?

Evan Fournier?

It's an interesting question as the Magic has not signed any of these deals in quite a while.

i could not think of one off hand magic really dont hand them out...now team options all the time
any other recent ones come to mind?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,636

Post#47 » by Skybox » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:26 pm

Suggs is absolutely worthy of the starting SG spot and an extension...he should not be traded for less than a star return. He's already really good offensively and, hopefully, can maintain and even improve that. His defense is of the highest level among guards. He's not just tough and intense - he's also skilled, clever, and instinctive about it. He's special - no question.

The whole point of the thread is how much $$...this will have significant impact on the future prospects of this roster (assuming they haven't made any significant additions before the extension kicks in). The new CBA and tougher salary cap rules make it unrealistic to simply pay everybody what they're worth. Paolo's is a MAX. Period. Franz will certainly be a significant contract and possibly approaching a max. Is Suggs a significant enough offensive player that he should be paid like a third star?

I think the third and fourth deals are the big ones, in terms of impacting the remaining roster. If you spent $50m+ on those two...you just don't have the ability for anyone else around the MLE...that's a very top-heavy team.

If we can extend him for $18 or even $20 or less, we have a good chance at him outperforming his deal...but that's too much for the player he is today (if we're being honest). I expect him to improve - but it's not the safest bet in the world. There's a lot riding on this...Franz' deal could certainly have a pretty wide range too.

Just thinking ahead...This is also why we don't even talk about a doofus like Lavine-who would be a fine 3rd offensive option, maybe 4th best all-around player...but he's paid like a #1.
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 792

Post#48 » by CZ Eddie » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:44 pm

I love the kid but Suggs is so up & down that we shouldn't make any decisions until the summer.

He's either going to be worth $$$ or he's going to be worth $$.
Either way, he'll be worth something. The question is "how much"?!?!
Keep your politics out of my sports
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,727

Post#49 » by basketballRob » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:05 am

CZ Eddie wrote:I love the kid but Suggs is so up & down that we shouldn't make any decisions until the summer.

He's either going to be worth $$$ or he's going to be worth $$.
Either way, he'll be worth something. The question is "how much"?!?!
If he's worth $20m per season and only plays 60% of the time, that is $12m.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,465

Post#50 » by Bensational » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:41 am

Skin wrote:I thought we had our star SG of the future.

Who?
drsd
RealGM

Post#51 » by drsd » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:31 am

orlando_joe wrote:...now team options all the time

The last team options were the last two contracts signed: M-Wagner and Anthony both have their final years as such.
drsd
RealGM

Post#52 » by drsd » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:34 am

Fultz gets 17M per several years ago, and fans here think Suggs can be resigned for only 18-20M (or less). Umm. No.
Think 25-30M a season.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,005

Post#53 » by p0peye » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:39 am

drsd wrote:Fultz gets 17M per several years ago, and fans here think Suggs can be resigned for only 18-20M (or less). Umm. No.
Think 25-30M a season.

No. Suggs would actually earn those 17M. Fultz signing is something better not discussed.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,163

Post#54 » by zaymon » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:34 am

p0peye wrote:
drsd wrote:Fultz gets 17M per several years ago, and fans here think Suggs can be resigned for only 18-20M (or less). Umm. No.
Think 25-30M a season.

No. Suggs would actually earn those 17M. Fultz signing is something better not discussed.

Also new CBA.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,660

Post#55 » by orlando_joe » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:13 am

drsd wrote:
orlando_joe wrote:...now team options all the time

The last team options were the last two contracts signed: M-Wagner and Anthony both have their final years as such.

i meant player option other then fournier
team options also ..ingles,goga.harris they do that a lot very smart..player option for magic pretty rare for long time
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,893

Post#56 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:33 pm

As a Timberwolves fan, I don't see how Suggs can get any less than Jaden McDaniels. That seems to be about where he is as a player when Jaden signed his extension. Jaden is a low usage, elite defensive piece who can guard multiple positions at an All-Defensive level, can shoot and can attack people off the dribble out of a close out situation. Suggs doesn't have quite the defensive positional versatility but he makes up for it by being a tertiary playmaker and ball-handler.

If you think Suggs accepts $20 Million AAV, then you are either thinking he accepts a large underpayment or think he and his agent is dumb. Young players who have improved every year don't sign for that dollar amount.

I'd expect Suggs team to look at Jaden McDaniels contract and say that's the floor of the negotiation process.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,284

Post#57 » by eyriq » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:46 pm

We are about to get expensive, then.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#58 » by Skin » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:21 pm

Bensational wrote:
Skin wrote:I thought we had our star SG of the future.

Who?

Suggs! I thought he would be better than he has been. He's not a reliable consistent scorer, so I've soured on him being able to get there. I have been able to see him in a positive light as far as him being a 6th man, but apparently that makes folks mad.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#59 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:26 pm

eyriq wrote:We are about to get expensive, then.

I think we are going to have a similar moment to the Dipo vs Fornier moment we had.

Unless Black or Suggs separate themselves from each other and mirror each others strengths but don't become the 18-22ppg player we need. Then it is possible to keep both I think.

This is where keeping draft picks could pay off as they are an inexpensive way of acquiring talent. So when someone proposes say our 1st for the next 4 years plus the denver for "flavor player of the month" I get nervous.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,005

Post#60 » by p0peye » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:29 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:We are about to get expensive, then.

I think we are going to have a similar moment to the Dipo vs Fornier moment we had.

Unless Black or Suggs separate themselves from each other and mirror each others strengths but don't become the 18-22ppg player we need. Then it is possible to keep both I think.

This is where keeping draft picks could pay off as they are an inexpensive way of acquiring talent. So when someone proposes say our 1st for the next 4 years plus the denver for "flavor player of the month" I get nervous.

Let's park the discussion about guys on rookie deals and clean up the house from unproductive 13-17M contracts we seem to have in abundance.

Return to Orlando Magic