ImageImageImageImage

Suggs’ extension

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Re: Suggs’ extension 

Post#61 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:36 pm

p0peye wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:We are about to get expensive, then.

I think we are going to have a similar moment to the Dipo vs Fornier moment we had.

Unless Black or Suggs separate themselves from each other and mirror each others strengths but don't become the 18-22ppg player we need. Then it is possible to keep both I think.

This is where keeping draft picks could pay off as they are an inexpensive way of acquiring talent. So when someone proposes say our 1st for the next 4 years plus the denver for "flavor player of the month" I get nervous.

Let's park the discussion about guys on rookie deals and clean up the house from unproductive 13-17M contracts we seem to have in abundance.

It's why I brought up Black + Suggs kinda having a similar development track so far and choosing between one vs paying one vs the other.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,302

Post#62 » by eyriq » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:45 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
p0peye wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
I think we are going to have a similar moment to the Dipo vs Fornier moment we had.

Unless Black or Suggs separate themselves from each other and mirror each others strengths but don't become the 18-22ppg player we need. Then it is possible to keep both I think.

This is where keeping draft picks could pay off as they are an inexpensive way of acquiring talent. So when someone proposes say our 1st for the next 4 years plus the denver for "flavor player of the month" I get nervous.

Let's park the discussion about guys on rookie deals and clean up the house from unproductive 13-17M contracts we seem to have in abundance.

It's why I brought up Black + Suggs kinda having a similar development track so far and choosing between one vs paying one vs the other.
The Suggs vs AB debate will be a sad day
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#63 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:02 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
p0peye wrote:

I prefer the AB vs Fultz debate.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#64 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:03 pm

It really stood out to me watching the replay that Suggs + Blacks backcourt had Suggs bringing the ball up to initiate offense. I am hoping that it falls on Black soon. Well see.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by eyriq » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:07 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Oh yeah, baby. Pure joy, that
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#66 » by ogmagicfan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:15 pm

Colbinii wrote:As a Timberwolves fan, I don't see how Suggs can get any less than Jaden McDaniels. That seems to be about where he is as a player when Jaden signed his extension. Jaden is a low usage, elite defensive piece who can guard multiple positions at an All-Defensive level, can shoot and can attack people off the dribble out of a close out situation. Suggs doesn't have quite the defensive positional versatility but he makes up for it by being a tertiary playmaker and ball-handler.

If you think Suggs accepts $20 Million AAV, then you are either thinking he accepts a large underpayment or think he and his agent is dumb. Young players who have improved every year don't sign for that dollar amount.

I'd expect Suggs team to look at Jaden McDaniels contract and say that's the floor of the negotiation process.

McDaniels doesn't have the injury history/woes that Suggs has. Along with defensive wings being more valuable than defensive guards in the NBA because of versatality.

Also, I think yall overpaid on McDaniels. Kinda the same deal as the Spurs overpaying on Vassell.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,898

Post#67 » by Colbinii » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:18 pm

ogmagicfan wrote:
Colbinii wrote:As a Timberwolves fan, I don't see how Suggs can get any less than Jaden McDaniels. That seems to be about where he is as a player when Jaden signed his extension. Jaden is a low usage, elite defensive piece who can guard multiple positions at an All-Defensive level, can shoot and can attack people off the dribble out of a close out situation. Suggs doesn't have quite the defensive positional versatility but he makes up for it by being a tertiary playmaker and ball-handler.

If you think Suggs accepts $20 Million AAV, then you are either thinking he accepts a large underpayment or think he and his agent is dumb. Young players who have improved every year don't sign for that dollar amount.

I'd expect Suggs team to look at Jaden McDaniels contract and say that's the floor of the negotiation process.

McDaniels doesn't have the injury history/woes that Suggs has. Along with defensive wings being more valuable than defensive guards in the NBA because of versatality.

Also, I think yall overpaid on McDaniels. Kinda the same deal as the Spurs overpaying on Vassell.

I don't think either Vassell or McDaniels are overpaid. That's the market value since both signed for it.

I would like to see statistical analysis done comparing price per impact, but I think both Vassell and McDaniels offer something to their team in the ballpark of their salary.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#68 » by ogmagicfan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm

Colbinii wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:

I don't think either Vassell or McDaniels are overpaid. That's the market value since both signed for it.

I would like to see statistical analysis done comparing price per impact, but I think both Vassell and McDaniels offer something to their team in the ballpark of their salary.

I'n more inclined to believe McDaniels is overpaid than Vassell, Vassell honestly isn't that bad because he carries more of a load offensively.

McDaniels however, if there's no path for him to get increased offensive usage then I'd say it's an overpay to pay 25-30 mil for his offensive production. (His contract is actually lower than I thought, for some reason I thought it was 35 mil)
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,736

Post#69 » by basketballRob » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:30 pm

Colbinii wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:

It depends on how healthy Suggs remains. Suggs has already missed 63 games in 2.5 seasons, so it's almost 1 out of 3 seasons. If Suggs was consistently healthy, it would help his case.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,007

Post#70 » by p0peye » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:57 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:The Suggs vs AB debate will be a sad day

Oh yeah, baby. Pure joy, that

Well, only if you think there is a debate to be had involving Fultz.
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 400

Post#71 » by The-Stallion70 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:47 pm

If Suggs gets a nine figure deal then Weltman should immediately be fired.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by eyriq » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:10 pm

Fultz supporters don't support Suggs? (Or Black) Is this a thing?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Post#73 » by RookieStar » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:27 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:If Suggs gets a nine figure deal then Weltman should immediately be fired.

5yr/100m with team option on the last year? Im down.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,031

Post#74 » by MagicMatic » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:35 pm

eyriq wrote:Fultz supporters don't support Suggs? (Or Black) Is this a thing?

It’s always been a thing.

No coincidence
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#75 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:47 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

No coincidence

Always has been
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by eyriq » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:54 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

No coincidence
Suggs lacks aura
The-Stallion70
Rookie
And1: 400

Post#77 » by The-Stallion70 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:21 pm

RookieStar wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:If Suggs gets a nine figure deal then Weltman should immediately be fired.

5yr/100m with team option on the last year? Im down.

McDaniels isnt really comparable, he is the best wing defender for the best defense in the league on a team that is 32-14. Mcdaniels is not injury prone, is 6-10 with a seven feet plus wingspan and can guard every position on the floor. Mcdaniels is basically Isaac if Isaac would stay healthy and that is STILL probably an overpay for a guy who averages 10 points.

Suggs is a wing-only defender who frequently overextends himself and ignores his own physical and athletic limitations on the court, leading to injury. Our team has the 5th ranked defense and is 2 games above .500.

Suggs doesn't have the physical tools of Mcdaniels and is not the same level of defender.

This doesn't surprise me to be having this debate with the same posters who thought Austin Reaves would get $100M+ in the offseason and instead ended up getting basically spot on what I thought his value was.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,031

Post#78 » by MagicMatic » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:22 pm

eyriq wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

No coincidence
Suggs lacks aura

Suggs could shoot 40% from 3 for weeks and hold opposing guards to below their averages and he would be called out for being too injured in his first two seasons.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#79 » by Skin » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:41 pm

Suggs is gonna get $20M+.

Franz is gonna get $40M+

Paolo is gonna get $50M+

Cole's extension was such a blunder.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#80 » by Skin » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:42 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
eyriq wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

No coincidence
Suggs lacks aura

Suggs could shoot 40% from 3 for weeks and hold opposing guards to below their averages and he would be called out for being too injured in his first two seasons.

I would be thrilled if he did that for 3 games in a row, much less 3 weeks. You got nothing to worry about.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!

Return to Orlando Magic