ImageImageImageImage

Make a trade or we call for your job!

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Should we call for the Front office to be fired if we don’t make a trade?

Yes
31%
No
69%

Total votes: 59

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,838

Re: Make a trade or we call for your job! 

Post#181 » by RookieStar » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:56 am

To those advocating FVV... look at the TOR boards or watch their games. When they still had siakam and og to accompany Barnes and Trent, FVV still jacked the most shots.

You really think PB would like that? How about wqtching Franz cook like what he has been doing lately?

FVV would probably pound the ball instead of letting our 2 youngsters handle it.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,502

Post#182 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:01 am

Airgordon00 wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:
Airgordon00 wrote:We need to make a move before the deadline or we call for this Front office to be fired!
Put the bottle down

It’s not my fault this team drives me to drink!

Yes.

Yes, it is.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,375

Post#183 » by Knightro » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:45 am

Bensational wrote:Toronto is in a different place to us. They took a short term step backwards as a team to take a long term step forwards, and I wouldn’t count them out of a play-in chase this season. Masai had seen enough of FVV, Siakam and OG being a treadmill team and he got out the same way we did with Vuc, AG and Fournier - except we did it all in one go and he waited longer.

Şengün and Jabari are nothing like Paolo and Franz or Scottie. They require different guys to bring out the best in them.

Toronto is 5 games out of the 10 seed with just 29 games remaining. They've also lost 9 of their last 12. I don't really think a play-in chase is in the cards for them.

On top of that, they lose their 1st round pick to the Spurs if they don't end up 1-6, so they have additional motivation to NOT chase the play-in and, in fact, continue to lose

But independent of the Raptors...

Talent is talent. Fred VanVleet is a very good basketball player (33rd in the NBA in EPM) and far better than any other guard the Magic have on their roster by a significant margin.

This idea that Franz and Paolo don't need or wouldn't benefit from a point guard like FVV just seems silly to me. A high assist, low turnover PG who holds up defensively and takes and makes a lot of threes seems like a good fit, not a bad fit.

It doesn't work both ways. We can't still here (and not saying you specifically did this Ben) and bemoan how crappy the offense looked last night over the final 5 minutes of the 4th quarter when it devolved into garbage late shot clock isolation, yet push back on adding a talented point guard because it might take the ball out of Paolo and Franz's hands too much? It just can't be both.

FVV would have helped this team immensely for two years and then his contract would have lined up perfectly to expire right as Franz snd Suggs' extensions kicked in, thus giving the Magic the same opportunity to improve their roster that they're going to have in the summer of 2025 when they likely punt on improving the roster this summer.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,375

Post#184 » by Knightro » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:50 am

RookieStar wrote:To those advocating FVV... look at the TOR boards or watch their games. When they still had siakam and og to accompany Barnes and Trent, FVV still jacked the most shots.

You really think PB would like that? How about wqtching Franz cook like what he has been doing lately?

FVV would probably pound the ball instead of letting our 2 youngsters handle it.

Raptors fans are absolutely psychotic for what it's worth.

FVV is also just third on the Rockets in shots per game this year.

And dumping FVV for nothing and giving the ball to Barnes full time has really done wonders for Toronto's success. Barnes made the all-star team on a team that's gonna win like 30 games. Neat.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#185 » by RookieStar » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:54 am

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:To those advocating FVV... look at the TOR boards or watch their games. When they still had siakam and og to accompany Barnes and Trent, FVV still jacked the most shots.

And dumping FVV for nothing and giving the ball to Barnes full time has really done wonders for Toronto's success. Barnes made the all-star team on a team that's gonna win like 30 games. Neat.

Oh i know... thats why i dont post there lol

But sometimea a broken clock is right. Inhave watched some games where og is open or siakam had a mismatch but fvv still opted to chuck a near logo 3.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,289

Post#186 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:04 am

Knightro wrote:
Bensational wrote:Toronto is in a different place to us. They took a short term step backwards as a team to take a long term step forwards, and I wouldn’t count them out of a play-in chase this season. Masai had seen enough of FVV, Siakam and OG being a treadmill team and he got out the same way we did with Vuc, AG and Fournier - except we did it all in one go and he waited longer.

Şengün and Jabari are nothing like Paolo and Franz or Scottie. They require different guys to bring out the best in them.

Toronto is 5 games out of the 10 seed with just 29 games remaining. They've also lost 9 of their last 12. I don't really think a play-in chase is in the cards for them.

On top of that, they lose their 1st round pick to the Spurs if they don't end up 1-6, so they have additional motivation to NOT chase the play-in and, in fact, continue to lose

Talent is talent. Fred VanVleet is a very good basketball player (33rd in the NBA in EPM) and far better than any other guard the Magic have on their roster by a significant margin.

This idea that Franz and Paolo don't need or wouldn't benefit from a point guard like FVV just seems silly to me. A high assist, low turnover PG who holds up defensively and takes and makes a lot of threes seems like a good fit, not a bad fit.

It doesn't work both ways. We can't still here (and not saying you specifically did this Ben) and bemoan how crappy the offense looked last night over the final 5 minutes of the 4th quarter when it devolved into garbage late shot clock isolation, yet push back on adding a talented point guard because it might take the ball out of Paolo and Franz's hands too much? It just can't be both.

FVV would have helped this team immensely for two years and then his contract would have lined up perfectly to expire right as Franz snd Suggs' extensions kicked in, thus giving the Magic the same opportunity to improve their roster that they're going to have in the summer of 2025 when they likely punt on improving the roster this summer.
I think a counterfactual that has FVV on this team AND this team hitting or exceeding current milestones is very plausible. He's at 19.1% usage this season, which is 3rd option territory, after hovering around 23% usage with the Raptors, which is 2nd option territory. He's a quality starter that is increasing his efficiency at the expense of usage, which is exactly what you like to see from a vet trying to elevate his team. We missed out on him.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,474

Post#187 » by Bensational » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:18 am

Knightro wrote:

Last season Toronto had FVV, Siakam, OG plus Barnes, Poeltl and Trent Jr. and they finished 41-41. I think you and many others would make a case that most of those guys would win a matchup with our guys on paper, but in reality we’re on track to have a better record this season than they could achieve with that stacked roster. For Masai to choose to blow that up instead of using it as high floor entry point into rebuilding says a lot. Whatever experience and assistance was presumed that FVV and Siakam and OG would offer Barnes clearly didn’t manifest to a degree that Masai wanted to invest in.

I don’t bemoan our offense. I’m a lot more comfortable with how it’s developing than you and others are. And while there’s a possibility we could squeeze and extra win or two out with an experienced hand, I’d prefer to give Paolo and Franz those chances to learn those lessons now while the stakes aren’t as high. Ingles has been perfect for us as a steady hand that is happy to let the youth take the lead. We have guys who can make plays off the ball, we have Paolo and Franz to make plays on the ball, we just have to get both working in unison.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Post#188 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:25 am

Knightro wrote:

I bet there are fans on other teams that think our fans are psychotic, lololol. I don't think we are but it goes around.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,166

Post#189 » by zaymon » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:20 am

Problem with Raptors is that they build around Barnes who is not that good and they blame other players for his shortcomings. They were mediocre with and without Siakam, OG, FVV. Scottie still gets better, but right now he is one of most overrated players in the nba.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#190 » by RookieStar » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:40 am

zaymon wrote:Problem with Raptors is that they build around Barnes who is not that good and they blame other players for his shortcomings. They were mediocre with and without Siakam, OG, FVV. Scottie still gets better, but right now he is one of most overrated players in the nba.

Barnes is improving every year in the league. But yeah, where he is now and where they want or expect him to be right now is waaaaay different.

Probably why they have discussion on who they would choose whether Paolo or Barnes.lol
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,304

Post#191 » by pepe1991 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:00 am

But who overrates Barnes but Raptors fans ?

He averages 20 ppg on 19-34 team. Only reason why he is allstar is because he is from USA and they are very short on good players nowdays, especially young good players.
Two allstars are out with injury who replaces them? Young ( terrible team) & Barnes( terrible team). What both have in common? Citizenship. Who gets snubbed? 7'2 guy on best nba team but who isn't from US.
Western conference? Biggest snub? Guy who averages near f*** triple double- on winning team, but once again, has wrong citizenship to get there. ( instad , .500 team has 2 allstars but right citizenship & big market).

Everything about allstar game is a joke. That's why i elect to not watch it nor care about it. It has no criteria, it doesn't matter, it's "fan game " but voting just means bunch of causal fans dumping & spamming votes especially if player is on big market team, or team who is globally popular. 7-8 years ago Lin was on verge of starting in Western conference over prime Chris Paul because asian market just spammed voting section. Andrew Wiggins was damn starters on west because of marketing campain that included asian boyband !
And portion of votes are heavily influenced by "media" who only care about 5 nba teams that make them most money. So ofc some Kings, Magic etc will never get fair chance. It's rigged BS that leads to training game where 95% of players don't want to be part of. Case and point- Jokic making mockery of allstar game, as best player in a game ( by very wide margin) and just casually putting 5 poitns and throwing "lobs" over glass.

Also comparing season to season standings is dumb, including strenghts of team who will never actually face each other.

This year, in order to get to playin, all you will need to win around 45% of games. So, 37-45 record will be enough.

Year prior, nobody below .500 made playin.

On West it's even worst, last year 58% win rate was enough for home court adventage in playoffs, right now it's on verge of being not enough to make direct playoffs.

Every season is separate book, not chapter.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 681

Post#192 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:03 pm

I think FVV could have worked in our lineup. It would go against our super height + defense philosophy that I think management is making a ride or die stance on.

In terms of interim point guard though. He is THE GUY you would have wanted Black to learn from in terms of offensive scheming. Alas. I think we are a better record today with FVV then without him.

Return to Orlando Magic